registries Frank Schilling Follows Up On .XYZ Numeric Sale At Uniregistry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Just got this via email...

A Word To The Wise
About an hour ago we made an announcement about a new category of numeric domains released at low prices today by .XYZ, coined .XYZ’s “1.111B Class”. As a retail registrar, we are delighted to support our registry business partners, and we understand that .XYZ is going to put a significant marketing budget and all of its creative talent to bear to popularize what it sees as a special class of registration.

At the same time, you should know that neither Uniregistry nor I provide investment advice. Uniregistry sells domain names as tools for internet-based business and communications. Nothing in our emails or on our website should be considered a solicitation or offer to buy or sell a domain, TLDs, or domains in general as an asset class, as a security, option, future, or financial instrument.

As many of our customers know, my passion is domain name investing. Over almost two decades actively investing, I’ve experienced significant successes and failures along the way. The losses are always more memorable than the gains, and as I reflect on the current state of the industry and all the exciting new extensions and opportunities that exist today that weren’t available to me when I was just getting started, I feel compelled to share one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned:

Domain name investing is highly speculative. It’s not for everyone. It’s extremely difficult to predict how the value of a domain name or portfolio of names will change over time. There is a certain amount of luck that goes into any investment turning out positive, but because domain names are not traded on an efficient exchange or regulated by governments in the same way securities and other traditional investment vehicles are, there is greater volatility in this form of investing, and results will vary greatly based on timing, markets, and many other unpredictable events.

The names I’ve purchased that have had the biggest positive impact have been the ones that have some real utility in the world. It’s the names that I believed people would find desirable to put in use in commerce or other creative pursuits. That said, nearly every name investment I’ve made (including those which look brilliant today) were largely ridiculed by observers at the time I made the investment.

The launch of the 1.111B Class of domains from .XYZ is a great example of how we can unlock potential for new and creative uses for domain names. No one could have predicted that .XYZ would become the largest New GTLD registry and their large marketing war-chest is being brought to bear again. We don’t know how these names will be used but we know that many will get registered. The real value will be realized when people begin to find creative ways to apply these low cost names in business and other ventures. I’m personally extremely confident in the utility of low-cost, universally resolvable identifiers for emerging technologies, but the ultimate outcome is in the hands of imaginative people like you.

In closing to my last email, I wrote, “invest responsibly, and good luck to you”.

I mean that sincerely.

Frank

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey look, either way, the campaign got people talking about it. If there is a legit use for these domains, at least the conversation is out there.

•••
....No one could have predicted that .XYZ would become the largest New GTLD registry and their large marketing war-chest is being brought to bear again.

Am I missing something here?? I was under the impression that the .XYZ extension has been a disaster, at least for me it has. It has been a hard sell and I cant even give them away, as I have tried recently to do.. Why the fanfare now?? Everyone appears to be dropping them in mass

Last edited:
•••
Am I missing something here?? I was under the impression that the .XYZ extension has been a disaster, at least for me it has. It has been a hard sell and I cant even give them away, as I have tried recently to do..
Me too. No luck with reselling them.....yet? :wacky:

•••
sure got them talking. this is the 2nd thread on np I see about it :)

let's hope for no others :)

•••
That 'RE:' in the subject line almost got it in my spam folder. If I hadn't set filters for always accepting 'uniregistry' emails, it'd have surely ended there.
I really don't understand that kind of promotion :/

•••
"neither Uniregistry nor I provide investment advice" but "personally extremely confident in the utility of low-cost, universally resolvable identifiers for emerging technologies, but the ultimate outcome is in the hands of imaginative people like you."

The names I’ve purchased that have had the biggest positive impact have been the ones that have some real utility in the world. It’s the names that I believed people would find desirable to put in use in commerce or other creative pursuits. That said, nearly every name investment I’ve made (including those which look brilliant today) were largely ridiculed by observers at the time I made the investment. Frank

I pretty sure they would mostly be .coms. If we had a list of his biggest sales of all time, it would drown in .com sales.

Last edited:
•••
Am I missing something here?? I was under the impression that the .XYZ extension has been a disaster, at least for me it has. It has been a hard sell and I cant even give them away, as I have tried recently to do.. Why the fanfare now?? Everyone appears to be dropping them in mass
This is like the cliche the little boy putting his finger in the dike, before the dam bursts. (Drops on June 4th!)

•••
I never received an email. What numeric sale? Any numbers I've tried are the same price as before. I'm confused.com.

•••
A few years ago we saw on Domaining.com videos and advertisements talking about the opportunities in the new domain space. At the time I thought the wording was a bit risky from a legal perspective. It looks like Uniregistry is now being more cautious in their statements. Note the following...

FTC statement on Deceptive Trade Practices...
"...An act or practice is deceptive where a representation, omission, or practice misleads or is likely to mislead the consumer... " https://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/supmanual/cch/ftca.pdf

SEC has fined companies for making misleading statements to investors...
http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2013/01/24/secs-16-biggest-penalties-since-financial-crisis

Imagine what would happen to a new TLD registry which makes careless statements about the phenomenal investment opportunities in their TLD (experienced domain investors know from history that most alt TLD investments do not turn out well yet who are the registries targeting? - newbies). At this point there have been hundreds of millions of dollars funneled into new TLDs mostly by newbie speculators who will likely lose every penny they put into new TLDs. So a few years from now you could see class action lawsuits against some of the loudest players in the new TLD space. Then what happens to the registry? It may fold. Then what happens to registrations in the TLDs held by that registry? Adios.

•••
"neither Uniregistry nor I provide investment advice" but "personally extremely confident in the utility of low-cost, universally resolvable identifiers for emerging technologies, but the ultimate outcome is in the hands of imaginative people like you."

I pretty sure they would mostly be .coms. If we had a list of his biggest sales of all time, it would drown in .com sales.
LOL

•••
a new category of numeric domains released at low prices today by .XYZ, coined .XYZ’s “1.111B Class”

.. seem someone just have rediscovered Markoff numbers ... ? Most banks are prepared to handle the XYZ problem ... by not giving you credit.

•••
Looked at the June 2016 spike for XYZ and it was about 3.37 million. This may not have the same momentum as the 1c registrations in that promo.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Was this really sent by Frank and Uniregistry??? I actually thought it was phishing email. Why is Frank becoming so desperate? Nobody in there right mind would fall for this . XYZ crap! And Bitcoin is very liquid, .XYZ can't even give that away for free to 99% of people.

Last edited:
•••
I never received an email. What numeric sale? Any numbers I've tried are the same price as before. I'm confused.com.

The promo price $0.88 only applies to numeric domains from 6 digits and up.

Last edited:
•••
Meanwhile on Twitter:

upload_2017-6-1_12-1-41.png

All .com sales!

•••
The first thought that comes to my mind when thinking of .xyz domains is that the entire TLD has been polluted by spammers to such an extent that IT admins of some orgs either block the TLD or increase the spam score of e-mails originating from the TLD... That essentially killed it for me...

•••

I used to like @Frank.Schilling and was grateful for his participation at @DomainSherpa ... however that was until I just noticed him selling DietCookies !?!? I'm not sure i could ever respect anyone who sells Diet Cookies! lol

Seriously though .. I think it's a very fair email .. if you ignore the part about .xyz (which I ignored more because I have no interest at this point in anything to do with .xyz ... much less 6L .xyz which i think are 89 cents overpriced if priced at 88 cents)

The one point where maybe I can see maybe understand his vision (although not necessarily agree with it) is that maybe at some point down the road there might be end use demand for cheap domains (some still think that IoT will require a kazillion new cheap domains .. others think it won't at all).

That being said .. I just feel that these are like penny stocks .. but with no chance of any significant value increase. The problem with investing in cheap domains thinking that there will be a need someday for cheap domains ... is that those domains need to be sold cheap .. lol .. meaning no significant upside .. EVER!

Again I do think that possibly the top 10,000 .xyz (2L, possibly 3N and well above average single key-words) do have a bit of value. But 10k out of literally millions means that essentially/effectively someone could say all .xyz are junk and only be 0.01% wrong .. lol.

In fact .. I think it's actually great advice he gives ... it's very rare to see the owner of a business that sells risky products actually come out and tell you straight and truthfully that they are actually risky products. Good on him for that! :)

•••
Please don't kick the tyres ........ it's a lemon

•••
I managed to pick up a few .xyz for the price i couldn't say no. MedicalResearch.xyz was one a few good keywords here and there to be had at $1 each ain't to bad..

•••
do the math people. is it possible to make money with this promotion? If you think yes post here why. would be interesting.

i think it is not possible. here is why.

as someone pointed out, domains can only have value above regfee if there is scarcity.(e.g if there is another domain available for regfee that is identical to yours no one is going to pay you a premium for it)

we have 300 million domains in existence. we would need 3 times that number in .xyz to have 1 billion domains.

if we have 500 million .xyz registered no one is going to pay you more than 88 cent. they will go straight to the registrar and buy the domain there. as long as there is less than 1 billion registered your domains do not increase in value.

1.how likely is it that they manage to get 1 billion registrations?

2. what happens if they do get hundreds of millions on registrations? another registrar (maybe .top) will copy them if there is money to be made with this approach, start doing the same. now we have 2 billion domains that would need to be registered for your domains to increase in value. Another registrar will jump in etc. You see we will never run out of domains. You will be sitting on your names while more get released. Prices might even go down because of this.

3. What happens if they do get 1 billion registrations and no one copies them. (seems very unlikely)?
How much are you going to earn?

The main thing about these domains is that they are very cheap, they don't have anything else to offer.
You are not going to sell them for $1000 like bitcoins when you can get 10 years of .com for $100.

The upside is much more limited than cryptocurrency and the holding costs much higher.

•••
Absolutely i agree its an investment with blinkers on. I picked up a few because i read a forum post on here about the potential change to xyz domain to i think it was .com.com that's my reason.

•••
... potential change to xyz domain to i think it was .com.com that's my reason.

lol ... .com.com is probably the only thing I could possibly imagine worse for email than a cheap spammy TLD like .xyz ... lol. You got to think that upwards of half of all emails to a _.com.com domain are actually accidentally sent to the _.com instead.

_.com.com wouldn't be about email bleed ... it would be an email bloodbath! lol

•••
E-mail bloodbath :xf.laugh: spat my drink out.

Aye and tbqh i certainly don't like the look of .com.com but someone else might.

•••
There are a couple of very important things people overlook ...

1- The number of domains a TLD has actually has ZERO significance in regards to it's "success". In fact the more domains you give out below cost = the LESS successful you actually are. All it means it that the better domains are all taken and the worse ones are left. But people need to remember that "better" does not in any way mean "good". You can say your poop is "better" than someone else's who is currently suffering from diarrhoea .. but your poop is still crap! lol

2- People need to analyse each domain based on their own individual merits .. and not necessarily because they are in a particular TLD. Contrary to what most people say .. ngTLD's are neither good nor bad .. some of them work ... while others don't .. it's that simple. Then the only other fact you need to remember is that it's going to be a slow but steady path until the world finally accepts ngTLDs. So it could be a while before anybody (end user) wants your domain ... but that's actually why you were able to buy it at a fraction of the .com version.

OK ... 8am here .. time for me to get some .xyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back