Dynadot

discuss Facebook is Now META!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The article explains it in a nutshell

But Facebook's problems are too numerous to list, and so he is pitching products that don't exist for a reality that does not exist in a desperate attempt to change the narrative as it exists in reality, where we all actually live.

Agree.

This might be another problem for them (metaverse mentioned in the article as well) -

Facebook's hiring crisis: Engineers are turning down offers, internal docs show
https://www.protocol.com/workplace/facebook-docs-hiring-recruiting-crisis

My favorite quote is this one: "Do you know what we could have done with safety if we had 10,000 more engineers? It would have been amazing,"

Last edited:
•••
So from now on Meta+Kw or Kw+Meta, will have any end-user value? or they have now become totally useless. From now on hand reg or acquiring Meta domains will be a total waste of money?
What are the possibilities?

As Facebook is a coined word and Meta is generic does its(Meta)value still hold good even after renaming FB to Meta and will not affect other industries hoping to acquire domain names with Meta in it.

It is a hostile takeover of the word Meta. There are existing Meta trademarks that Zuck will try to absorb.

So for an enduser they will be fine with the brandable as long as they understand the potential legal risk.

But anyways, the key linguistic if you read their PRs is that Meta is linked to a Meteverse, and not The Metaverse. So basically Meta is just a holding brand for everything inside the Zuckaverse (somebody registered Zuckaverse.com yesterday... lol).

So apple will have their metaverse, Google theirs and Microsoft theres, and etc. Infact it probably and possibly moves the needle now in terms of Metaverse names their potential. And whoever is now sitting on Metaverse.com is sitting on a goldmine.

I am only saying this publicly because Metaverse.com is way out of my financial stratosphere.

So imagine now if someone like Google get Metaverse. The narrative would be "ok, Facebook has their Meta brand, but we are the Metaverse, and the only Metaverse that matters". I would say that that has a much bigger ceiling now than what are Zucks plans.

Last edited:
•••
Isn't any "parent company" essentially just a generic company name that holds a bunch of different smaller companies that may or may not be related?

They can call themselves whatever they want. The point being that they will not have the same TM protection as a different, less generic name. "Meta" is clearly a generic term for "metaverse" which their company is supposed to be focused on.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Quite the opposite. Facebook will take it from you for brand protection

Facebook (nobody with any self-respect is going to start calling them Meta) isn't going to buy random meta garbage for any figures, but Facebook also does not suddenly own the rights to a dictionary word just because Facebook decides to change their name (Facebook) to it.

•••
:yuck:
all meta names will be sued by

Facebook IP & DNS Enforment Group
Legal Dept.
Facebook, Inc.

https://www.meta.org/
Meta, a Chan Zuckerberg Initiative project, is a biomedical research discovery tool that analyzes & connects millions of scientific outputs to give you a comprehensive view into science. You can easily explore research and follow developments by searching for specific terms or creating customizable feeds of papers and preprints.

https://meta.com/ redirect to https://about.facebook.com/meta
Looks like you are not really informed about this stuff and even how legal TM's work. FB will be busy defending their own name, because of the over 1600 TM's rights involving the word 'meta', prior to facebooks 'meta' and after thousands of companies are using the term in their name lot's of years before this. FB could not sue anything, probably just excluding a social network named 'meta'.

•••
FB can't just boot a previously existing entity out of existence because of it's similiar name. They own the rights to their unique logo for sure, and I can imagine if a domain was very similiar to their interests etc and registered late to the party perhaps. But I would think they wouldn't want that negative exposure with all the problems they've had recently.
That logo is used by tens of companies, including this one: https://www.m-sense.de/en/ I'm not sure if there is a company using 'meta' and that logo.

•••
I don't have an answer for you, but trust me, they're lawyers thought of every single detail, otherwise the move would have never happened.

Again, I do agree that they it won't be easy to go after companies using Meta in their names from years ago, I don't think they will. But in terms of their future use/brand protection, their lawyers had it sorted out a long time ago..
Again, compare them to google, do you notice google going after somebody using 'abc' or 'alphabet'? It's exactly the same...it's one thing to defend 'google' and a totally different one to defend 'alphabet'.

•••
Again, compare them to google, do you notice google going after somebody using 'abc' or 'alphabet'? It's exactly the same...it's one thing to defend 'google' and a totally different one to defend 'alphabet'.
It's not the same thing, Google isn't building a product called alphabet, but Facebook is building a metaverse and they call it the meta

•••
It's not the same thing, Google isn't building a product called alphabet, but Facebook is building a metaverse and they call it the meta
No, in their metaverse, Facebook will be Facebook, Instagram will be the same, they will have metaoculus, metaquest and so on, the only 'meta' will be their entire company, the mother company, exactly like Google, the only difference will be that they intend to involve more in the brand awareness the word 'meta', the company name, but they will not use it for something specific, they said it already.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
It's crazy.. So all those names with Meta, are now like having FaceBook in them..

That. I'm going through all my 43 names containing "Meta" and rethinking them by replacing it with "Facebook".

•••
I think this is good news for any random Meta domain. Facebook is going to have to pay 6 figures for mediocre Meta .coms just in the name of brand protection.

•••
•••
•••
I don't like zuckerberg or fb but I get the idea he's pushing here. It is transformative if done right, but will take many years and perfecting. It is a distraction though, no question.

•••
The first meta-term I ever heard was Metaphysics. Years later I learned about Metadata - data about data.
Anyway now domainers got a good example to convince some business owner to rebrand at any stage of growth.

Last edited:
•••
Meta+KW or KW+Meta will still have buyers IMO. I don't think the market will be as hot as the last couple of months, but then again good names will sell.

Multiverse is like a multi tier chess game. Facebook has showed their hand. Let's wait for Google, Microsoft, Netflix, Tancent and others to show their hands as well.

•••
I saw this photo a long time ago, never thought this is gonna be a reality!

Show attachment 202938
meta.jpeg

•••
Facebook name not changed just a company create named as Meta.

•••
•••
:yuck:
all meta names will be sued by

Facebook IP & DNS Enforment Group
Legal Dept.
Facebook, Inc.

https://www.meta.org/
Meta, a Chan Zuckerberg Initiative project, is a biomedical research discovery tool that analyzes & connects millions of scientific outputs to give you a comprehensive view into science. You can easily explore research and follow developments by searching for specific terms or creating customizable feeds of papers and preprints.

https://meta.com/ redirect to https://about.facebook.com/meta

•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad

It's not about how they're gonna protect it, it's about the small guys running away from any name that has meta in it because they're afraid of the BIG guy coming after them. Facebook will kill the Meta domains without lifting a finger.

Last edited:
•••
"Metaverse" creator reacts to Facebook name change

Neal Stephenson is the writer who coined the term "metaverse" 30 years ago in his novel “Snow Crash.”

In an email interview a few short hours after CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s presentation announcing Facebook would rename itself as Meta, Stephenson opened up about seeing his idea begin to come to life.

Read more:

https://www.axios.com/metaverse-cre...nge-a4259282-5016-4c67-a7ae-b0eb381a7773.html

Last edited:
•••
If you think they got into this with the slightest possibility that they would need to defend their brand, then I suggest you think again.

Perhaps they'll have a hard time going after Meta names (the usage of it), but there's nothing to defend. They own a big chunk of the Metaverse & it's future, & it's best domains.
So, what common sense tells you about this: when there is a TM from years ago for gaming industry for the word 'meta', do you think that FB can just start producing games for metaverse, using 'meta' without any legal issues? When there is a TM from years ago for the word 'meta' for machine learning, do you think that FB can be involved in this area by using 'meta' without any legal issues? I could go on and on, until I cover the full 1600 TM's and a few other thousands companies who were using the word for years, without applying for TM rights. Probably they will use it exactly how google is using 'alphabet, just in official papers, for the main stakeholders.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back