Dynadot

discuss Facebook is Now META!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Last edited:
•••
Zuckerberg Announces Fantasy World Where Facebook Is Not a Horrible Company

Facebook’s new name is “Meta,” and its new mission is to invent a ‘metaverse’ that will make us all forget what it’s done to our existing reality.

Read more:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjb485/zuckerberg-facebook-new-name-meta-metaverse-presentation
The article explains it in a nutshell

But Facebook's problems are too numerous to list, and so he is pitching products that don't exist for a reality that does not exist in a desperate attempt to change the narrative as it exists in reality, where we all actually live.

•••
I posted this in another thread also -

I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad

•••
If that becomes reality, I am just going to disconnect from the internet and move to a cabin in the woods off the grid. :)

Brad
12819406_882581205184302_6797696905058977104_o.jpg

I'm doing it for two years already, but not 'off the grid', connected online to everything, when I need it.

•••
Amazon also is a big forest and it was (is ?) a generic term but here we are. we can't create a domain amazonpayments.com and get away with it.

I think we will have to wait and see if the domains are still selling, I will try to be positive

Amazon is not using the term for the generic meaning, the river.

Facebook would be using "meta" when it comes to the generic "metaverse" use. It is going to be extremely hard to protect as a brand because of that.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The only loser in this announcement is a bunch of domainers that are not thinking.

FB is not about to buy your meta name. They have meta.com. If you had meta.com and they had GoMeta you had something real good.

When Google rebranded to Alphabet, how many Alphabet names did they buy at premium prices?

The other issue is that fb and anything they touch is not viewed as positively even by people that use their products. Meta the word is now associated with FB and that is not a good thing.

Save your money and invest it in good opportunities.

•••
This entire thing feels like a distraction to me in an attempt to change the subject.

There has been a lot of disastrous stuff that has come out about Facebook lately from the "Facebook Papers" to the testimony of multiple whistleblowers and more.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It's crazy.. So all those names with Meta, are now like having FaceBook in them..

•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Meta: the collective of gameplay strategies that players commonly use

I feel like FB is late to the "metaverse" party, and just trying to claim a generic term for the generic use.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad

All 3 of your posts here are spot on Brad. And there will be more than one metaverse in the Omniverse.

Apple is not going to bow down to Facebook, neither will Amazon, Epic, Microsoft and more.

•••
Put your goggles on like a good boy and remember thinking is now illegal. Too soon?

•••
Didn't Google restructure and are using Alphabet as a holding company and chucked all their moonshot projects into it and Google is just a subsidiary?

Yeah, Alphabet is not used in reality. Everything is still "Google" for all practical purposes.

I don't think FB is doing the same thing. They clearly are going to actually use "Meta" as a brand when it comes to marketing.

In their dystopian future everyone is connected to VR and no longer lives in the real world. Good times!

I still think the entire thing is mainly just distraction from the many real issues facing the company.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I saw this photo a long time ago, never thought this is gonna be a reality!

images (4).jpeg

•••
Meta is Ukrainian dictionary word, it means: aim, goal...

Last edited:
•••

It reminds me of the Dave Chappelle sketch about internet shopping from back in the day.

https://www.cc.com/video/az3sy8/chappelle-s-show-if-the-internet-were-a-real-place

I get why FB wants it, so they can inundate you with endless ads. I can't think of a less trustworthy company to be involved in this stuff.

They should have hired someone with actual human emotions to try to pitch it, instead of Zuckerberg.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I guess the stealth domain acquisitions in the aftermarket we've seen via proxy (law firm) had this deadline. Let's see how the aftermarket for meta names will develop from this point. I'm positive.

•••
•••
If that becomes reality, I am just going to disconnect from the internet and move to a cabin in the woods off the grid. :)

Brad
I'd love to do the same :)

•••
'the English "meta" comes from the Greek "μετα" that means "after"

•••
But Google did the same thing a few years ago when they established "Alphabet Inc." as the parent company of Google LLC.

Alphabet is a brand used for a different use, not a generic use.

This would be like IBM rebranding to "Internet" or something. FB arrived late to the "metaverse" party and appear to be trying to monopolize a generic term for the generic use. It is totally different.

Brad

•••
Regardless what anyone thinks of Facebook, I don't think anyone can doubt the power/influence they have on the web. I've never seen a company rebrand send shockwaves as what this as done, not even when Google rebranded to Alphabet.

Look at all the threads on here, look how many 'Meta' domain sales there's been, 1 week old .co's and .net's have been selling for mid-5 figures, I've never seen anything like that before.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Alrighty, all ''Meta'' owners, let's buckle up, shall we?? :xf.smile::xf.smile::xf.smile:

•••
Come on guys, FB are just going to buy their way to the word. It is theirs now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back