Domain Empire

discuss Facebook is Now META!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
meta means beyond, will meta become linked to Facebook? I was wondering will domains that have the meta keyword will become like domains that have the amazon keyword?
because domains that have amazon are always seen as linked to the big amazon.com

Last edited:
•••
•••
jlmNO7C.jpg

•••
I think facebook killed the meta names because having a big company named meta will make people link the word meta with the company

•••
I posted this in another thread also -

I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad
Amazon also is a big forest and it was (is ?) a generic term but here we are. we can't create a domain amazonpayments.com and get away with it.

I think we will have to wait and see if the domains are still selling, I will try to be positive

Last edited:
•••
•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Meta: the collective of gameplay strategies that players commonly use

I feel like FB is late to the "metaverse" party, and just trying to claim a generic term for the generic use.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad
I agree. Most information about the metaverse have explained it as no one company can own it. Let's see if the generic terms defense works for the domain names registered before this name change announcement. Maybe @jberryhill can share his insight to this question.

•••
Amazon also is a big forest and it was (is ?) a generic term but here we are. we can't create a domain amazonpayments.com and get away with it.

I think we will have to wait and see if the domains are still selling, I will try to be positive

Well, if you create a name AmazonRainforest, I am pretty sure you'll be totally fine. It's not about a word as such, there are many things behind whether or not you'll get in a problem, even if the name is registered as a trademark in any country.

Last edited:
•••
Any idea what kind of deal they made with the meta.com owner and the financial part?

I guess NDA and lawyers involved too ...

•••
•••
Same *hit other name ...

It's a legal chess powerplay!

Last edited:
•••
A Colorado weed farm is one of my dream retirement ventures. I understand that may not be the same passion as everyone.

•••
So from now on Meta+Kw or Kw+Meta, will have any end-user value? or they have now become totally useless. From now on hand reg or acquiring Meta domains will be a total waste of money?
What are the possibilities?

As Facebook is a coined word and Meta is generic does its(Meta)value still hold good even after renaming FB to Meta and will not affect other industries hoping to acquire domain names with Meta in it.

Last edited:
•••
I consider FB as Meta single keyword is a bad move, meta was here for long time, we all know, Zuck intentionally did this, cause he knows an established word brings free traffic, the only option for him is to reconsider branding and add a keyword to it Meta + Keyword to differentiate his company from all the others. If he keeps Meta then it's obvious he wants to control it in whole, which is against a MetaVerse without one owner.
On other side other domains with Meta + Keyword can still work independently to build Zucks Meta, just like Internet with many different websites or real world with many shops.
Yes Zuck I know you read this forum and others, so take a note of this.

•••
I posted this in another thread also -

I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad
But Google did the same thing a few years ago when they established "Alphabet Inc." as the parent company of Google LLC.

•••
Alphabet is a brand used for a different use, not a generic use.

Isn't any "parent company" essentially just a generic company name that holds a bunch of different smaller companies that may or may not be related?

•••
Alphabet is a brand used for a different use, not a generic use.

This would be like IBM rebranding to "Internet" or something. FB arrived late to the "metaverse" party and appear to be trying to monopolize a generic term for the generic use. It is totally different.

Brad

Didn't Google restructure and are using Alphabet as a holding company and chucked all their moonshot projects into it and Google is just a subsidiary?

Last edited:
•••
Regarding the keynote ...

... I have a bit the feeling that Mark Zuckerberg was, at least in parts, a CGI in this video as sometimes he was "glowing" somehow and the way he was moving (especially his hands / arms) seemed kind of artificial and similar to the avatars beside him ...

... probably they want to figure out if (and if, how many) people will realize it. I have no reason to not believe this - after all, developing virtual worlds / CGIs / avatars is / will become now
(one of) their core activities (to, finally, make money (creating virtual advertising spaces)).

•••
I think this is good news for any random Meta domain. Facebook is going to have to pay 6 figures for mediocre Meta .coms just in the name of brand protection.

Quite the opposite. Facebook will take it from you for brand protection

•••
Now it is yet to be determined what it does to all Meta domains.
Personally, I don't think their value has decreased.
"meta" is a generic term.
*This is not a legal advice.

Last edited:
•••
I know this is reg. fee, but could not help but register Metastrophic.com (a play on catastrophic)

Maybe will list all the Meta names that did not sell after a year there :xf.grin:

•••
I SAY..MARK SHOULD CLEAN OFF FACEBOOK AND HANG EMPTY PORTAL AND DO SOMETHING ELSS WITH META

•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Meta: the collective of gameplay strategies that players commonly use

I feel like FB is late to the "metaverse" party, and just trying to claim a generic term for the generic use.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad
Twitter tried to do this with 'Dronie'. They failed.

•••
Looks like you are not really informed about this stuff and even how legal TM's work. FB will be busy defending their own name, because of the over 1600 TM's rights involving the word 'meta', prior to facebooks 'meta' and after thousands of companies are using the term in their name lot's of years before this. FB could not sue anything, probably just excluding a social network named 'meta'.

If you think they got into this with the slightest possibility that they would need to defend their brand, then I suggest you think again.

Perhaps they'll have a hard time going after Meta names (the usage of it), but there's nothing to defend. They own a big chunk of the Metaverse & it's future, & it's best domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back