Constantin S

Top Contributor
Impact
jlmNO7C.jpg

Shlopydo

Established Member
Impact
I posted this in another thread also -

I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad
Amazon also is a big forest and it was (is ?) a generic term but here we are. we can't create a domain amazonpayments.com and get away with it.

I think we will have to wait and see if the domains are still selling, I will try to be positive

Last edited:
Amazon also is a big forest and it was (is ?) a generic term but here we are. we can't create a domain amazonpayments.com and get away with it.

I think we will have to wait and see if the domains are still selling, I will try to be positive

Amazon is not using the term for the generic meaning, the river.

Facebook would be using "meta" when it comes to the generic "metaverse" use. It is going to be extremely hard to protect as a brand because of that.

Brad

Last edited:
Last edited:

sharfab

Established Member
Impact
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Meta: the collective of gameplay strategies that players commonly use

I feel like FB is late to the "metaverse" party, and just trying to claim a generic term for the generic use.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad
I agree. Most information about the metaverse have explained it as no one company can own it. Let's see if the generic terms defense works for the domain names registered before this name change announcement. Maybe @jberryhill can share his insight to this question.

This entire thing feels like a distraction to me in an attempt to change the subject.

There has been a lot of disastrous stuff that has come out about Facebook lately from the "Facebook Papers" to the testimony of multiple whistleblowers and more.

Brad

Last edited:

VadimK

Top Contributor
Impact

Well, if you create a name AmazonRainforest, I am pretty sure you'll be totally fine. It's not about a word as such, there are many things behind whether or not you'll get in a problem, even if the name is registered as a trademark in any country.

Last edited: