IT.COM

discuss Facebook is Now META!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
meta means beyond, will meta become linked to Facebook? I was wondering will domains that have the meta keyword will become like domains that have the amazon keyword?
because domains that have amazon are always seen as linked to the big amazon.com

Last edited:
•••
It's crazy.. So all those names with Meta, are now like having FaceBook in them..

•••
•••
•••
It's crazy.. So all those names with Meta, are now like having FaceBook in them..

That. I'm going through all my 43 names containing "Meta" and rethinking them by replacing it with "Facebook".

•••
jlmNO7C.jpg

•••
I guess the stealth domain acquisitions in the aftermarket we've seen via proxy (law firm) had this deadline. Let's see how the aftermarket for meta names will develop from this point. I'm positive.

•••
I think facebook killed the meta names because having a big company named meta will make people link the word meta with the company

•••
Alrighty, all ''Meta'' owners, let's buckle up, shall we?? :xf.smile::xf.smile::xf.smile:

•••
•••
Meta is Ukrainian dictionary word, it means: aim, goal...

Last edited:
•••
I posted this in another thread also -

I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad

•••
I posted this in another thread also -

I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad
Amazon also is a big forest and it was (is ?) a generic term but here we are. we can't create a domain amazonpayments.com and get away with it.

I think we will have to wait and see if the domains are still selling, I will try to be positive

Last edited:
•••
Amazon also is a big forest and it was (is ?) a generic term but here we are. we can't create a domain amazonpayments.com and get away with it.

I think we will have to wait and see if the domains are still selling, I will try to be positive

Amazon is not using the term for the generic meaning, the river.

Facebook would be using "meta" when it comes to the generic "metaverse" use. It is going to be extremely hard to protect as a brand because of that.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
I think this is good news for any random Meta domain. Facebook is going to have to pay 6 figures for mediocre Meta .coms just in the name of brand protection.

•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Meta: the collective of gameplay strategies that players commonly use

I feel like FB is late to the "metaverse" party, and just trying to claim a generic term for the generic use.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad
I agree. Most information about the metaverse have explained it as no one company can own it. Let's see if the generic terms defense works for the domain names registered before this name change announcement. Maybe @jberryhill can share his insight to this question.

•••
This entire thing feels like a distraction to me in an attempt to change the subject.

There has been a lot of disastrous stuff that has come out about Facebook lately from the "Facebook Papers" to the testimony of multiple whistleblowers and more.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Well, if you create a name AmazonRainforest, I am pretty sure you'll be totally fine. It's not about a word as such, there are many things behind whether or not you'll get in a problem, even if the name is registered as a trademark in any country.

Last edited:
•••
Come on guys, FB are just going to buy their way to the word. It is theirs now.

•••
I saw this photo a long time ago, never thought this is gonna be a reality!

images (4).jpeg

•••
•••
If that becomes reality, I am just going to disconnect from the internet and move to a cabin in the woods off the grid. :)

Brad
I'd love to do the same :)

•••
Back