IT.COM

discuss Facebook is Now META!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Put your goggles on like a good boy and remember thinking is now illegal. Too soon?

•••
'the English "meta" comes from the Greek "μετα" that means "after"

•••
•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Meta: the collective of gameplay strategies that players commonly use

I feel like FB is late to the "metaverse" party, and just trying to claim a generic term for the generic use.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad

All 3 of your posts here are spot on Brad. And there will be more than one metaverse in the Omniverse.

Apple is not going to bow down to Facebook, neither will Amazon, Epic, Microsoft and more.

•••
Any idea what kind of deal they made with the meta.com owner and the financial part?

I guess NDA and lawyers involved too ...

•••
•••
Same *hit other name ...

It's a legal chess powerplay!

Last edited:
•••
If that becomes reality, I am just going to disconnect from the internet and move to a cabin in the woods off the grid. :)

Brad
12819406_882581205184302_6797696905058977104_o.jpg

I'm doing it for two years already, but not 'off the grid', connected online to everything, when I need it.

•••
A Colorado weed farm is one of my dream retirement ventures. I understand that may not be the same passion as everyone.

•••
The only loser in this announcement is a bunch of domainers that are not thinking.

FB is not about to buy your meta name. They have meta.com. If you had meta.com and they had GoMeta you had something real good.

When Google rebranded to Alphabet, how many Alphabet names did they buy at premium prices?

The other issue is that fb and anything they touch is not viewed as positively even by people that use their products. Meta the word is now associated with FB and that is not a good thing.

Save your money and invest it in good opportunities.

•••
•••
I don't like zuckerberg or fb but I get the idea he's pushing here. It is transformative if done right, but will take many years and perfecting. It is a distraction though, no question.

•••
The first meta-term I ever heard was Metaphysics. Years later I learned about Metadata - data about data.
Anyway now domainers got a good example to convince some business owner to rebrand at any stage of growth.

Last edited:
•••
So from now on Meta+Kw or Kw+Meta, will have any end-user value? or they have now become totally useless. From now on hand reg or acquiring Meta domains will be a total waste of money?
What are the possibilities?

As Facebook is a coined word and Meta is generic does its(Meta)value still hold good even after renaming FB to Meta and will not affect other industries hoping to acquire domain names with Meta in it.

Last edited:
•••
Meta+KW or KW+Meta will still have buyers IMO. I don't think the market will be as hot as the last couple of months, but then again good names will sell.

Multiverse is like a multi tier chess game. Facebook has showed their hand. Let's wait for Google, Microsoft, Netflix, Tancent and others to show their hands as well.

•••
•••
Zuckerberg Announces Fantasy World Where Facebook Is Not a Horrible Company

Facebook’s new name is “Meta,” and its new mission is to invent a ‘metaverse’ that will make us all forget what it’s done to our existing reality.

Read more:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjb485/zuckerberg-facebook-new-name-meta-metaverse-presentation
The article explains it in a nutshell

But Facebook's problems are too numerous to list, and so he is pitching products that don't exist for a reality that does not exist in a desperate attempt to change the narrative as it exists in reality, where we all actually live.

•••
The article explains it in a nutshell

But Facebook's problems are too numerous to list, and so he is pitching products that don't exist for a reality that does not exist in a desperate attempt to change the narrative as it exists in reality, where we all actually live.

Agree.

This might be another problem for them (metaverse mentioned in the article as well) -

Facebook's hiring crisis: Engineers are turning down offers, internal docs show
https://www.protocol.com/workplace/facebook-docs-hiring-recruiting-crisis

My favorite quote is this one: "Do you know what we could have done with safety if we had 10,000 more engineers? It would have been amazing,"

Last edited:
•••
•••
So from now on Meta+Kw or Kw+Meta, will have any end-user value? or they have now become totally useless. From now on hand reg or acquiring Meta domains will be a total waste of money?
What are the possibilities?

As Facebook is a coined word and Meta is generic does its(Meta)value still hold good even after renaming FB to Meta and will not affect other industries hoping to acquire domain names with Meta in it.

It is a hostile takeover of the word Meta. There are existing Meta trademarks that Zuck will try to absorb.

So for an enduser they will be fine with the brandable as long as they understand the potential legal risk.

But anyways, the key linguistic if you read their PRs is that Meta is linked to a Meteverse, and not The Metaverse. So basically Meta is just a holding brand for everything inside the Zuckaverse (somebody registered Zuckaverse.com yesterday... lol).

So apple will have their metaverse, Google theirs and Microsoft theres, and etc. Infact it probably and possibly moves the needle now in terms of Metaverse names their potential. And whoever is now sitting on Metaverse.com is sitting on a goldmine.

I am only saying this publicly because Metaverse.com is way out of my financial stratosphere.

So imagine now if someone like Google get Metaverse. The narrative would be "ok, Facebook has their Meta brand, but we are the Metaverse, and the only Metaverse that matters". I would say that that has a much bigger ceiling now than what are Zucks plans.

Last edited:
•••
Facebook name not changed just a company create named as Meta.

•••
I consider FB as Meta single keyword is a bad move, meta was here for long time, we all know, Zuck intentionally did this, cause he knows an established word brings free traffic, the only option for him is to reconsider branding and add a keyword to it Meta + Keyword to differentiate his company from all the others. If he keeps Meta then it's obvious he wants to control it in whole, which is against a MetaVerse without one owner.
On other side other domains with Meta + Keyword can still work independently to build Zucks Meta, just like Internet with many different websites or real world with many shops.
Yes Zuck I know you read this forum and others, so take a note of this.

•••
I posted this in another thread also -

I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad
But Google did the same thing a few years ago when they established "Alphabet Inc." as the parent company of Google LLC.

•••
But Google did the same thing a few years ago when they established "Alphabet Inc." as the parent company of Google LLC.

Alphabet is a brand used for a different use, not a generic use.

This would be like IBM rebranding to "Internet" or something. FB arrived late to the "metaverse" party and appear to be trying to monopolize a generic term for the generic use. It is totally different.

Brad

•••
Alphabet is a brand used for a different use, not a generic use.

Isn't any "parent company" essentially just a generic company name that holds a bunch of different smaller companies that may or may not be related?

•••
Back