IT.COM

question Expired domain. How many days before $80?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
So had a bunch of domains expire. There was an issue with the card.:shy::banghead::jawdrop::nailbiting:(n)

So they tell me yea yea it's "recoverable" .....sureeeeeee! @$80 a pop!

They said I only had 18 days "window of opportunity" to renew normally.

I misunderstood thinking I had 45 days.

Why did I think this??! Is 45 days the time for something else?

I think my other domains also expired over at another registration ( same card issue).

That registrar I think if I remember correctly said I had 45 days.

Did this other registrar change their grace period?

I do recall with with this "problem" registrar that they give you 45 days to delete domains you autorenewed for full refund.

Could that have confused me?

The domains are with a GoDaddy reseller.

Can someone clarify this for me?

I'm assuming these time frames are the same with all registrars.

I have a scheduled phone call with the rep later today.

He said he will work out a deal for the domains that expired past the 18 days.

With a "significant" discount.:ROFL::banghead:(y)>:(

Now I wonder how much "discount" from $80 can there be?(n):nailbiting:

I bet it will be $50? I'd be happy with $20 but probably going to be $30-$40.

Any advice ?

Did different registrar's have different redemption periods?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
PM me a list of the domains - maybe something interesting for me!?

•••
So had a bunch of domains expire. There was an issue with the card.:shy::banghead::jawdrop::nailbiting:(n)

So they tell me yea yea it's "recoverable" .....sureeeeeee! @$80 a pop!

They said I only had 18 days "window of opportunity" to renew normally.

I misunderstood thinking I had 45 days.

Why did I think this??! Is 45 days the time for something else?

I think my other domains also expired over at another registration ( same card issue).

That registrar I think if I remember correctly said I had 45 days.

Did this other registrar change their grace period?

I do recall with with this "problem" registrar that they give you 45 days to delete domains you autorenewed for full refund.

Could that have confused me?

The domains are with a GoDaddy reseller.

Can someone clarify this for me?

I'm assuming these time frames are the same with all registrars.

I have a scheduled phone call with the rep later today.

He said he will work out a deal for the domains that expired past the 18 days.

With a "significant" discount.:ROFL::banghead:(y)>:(

Now I wonder how much "discount" from $80 can there be?(n):nailbiting:

I bet it will be $50? I'd be happy with $20 but probably going to be $30-$40.

Any advice ?

Did different registrar's have different redemption periods?

Understanding the process may help you moving forward with regard to names with GD, or their affiliates.

...gl

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

What happens after domain names expire?
Once a domain name expires, it goes through many stages before being released to the open market. GoDaddy sends five renewal emails to the GoDaddy account owner prior to the expiration date. Below is a timeline based on .com domain names.

These timelines do not apply to ccTLD domain names.

Days after expiration Action
Day 1 We make the first of three billing attempts to renew the domain name.
Day 5 We make the second billing attempt. If the billing fails on the day of, or auto renew fails, the domain name expires and is immediately set to parking. The domain can be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 12 We make the third and final attempt to renew the domain name. The domain name can still be renewable by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 19 The domain name can be renewed by the registrant for the cost of a one-year renewal plus an $80.00 redemption fee.
Day 26 We add the domain name to an expired domain name auction.
Day 36 The expired domain name auction ends. If there are no backorders and no bidders in the expired domain name auction, we list the domain name in a closeout auction.
Day 41 The closeout auction ends.
Day 43 We assign the domain name to the winner of the expired domain name auction, backorder, or closeout. If there are no bidders, we return the domain name to the registry.
A registrant can renew an expired domain name at no extra cost up to day 18. If they renew an expired domain name anytime between day 19 and day 42, they must also pay an $80.00 redemption fee. The domain name might not be available for renewal after day 42.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/recovering-expired-domain-names-5018

Recovering Expired Domain Names
You can attempt to recover expired top-level domain names (TLDs) during the renewal grace and registry redemption periods. In addition to the cost of renewal, you might be required to pay a fee for the domain name recovery. For more information, see Can I renew my domain name after it expires?

To Recover Expired Domain Names
  1. Log in to your GoDaddy account.
  2. Next to Domains, click Manage.
  3. From the Domains menu, select Expired Domains.
  4. Select the domain names you want to recover.
  5. Click Recover.
  6. Select the renewal length for the domain names, and then click Next.
    Renewal lengths for multiple domain names can vary depending on maximum renewal lengths allowed by each domain name registry.

7. (Optional) Select the registration and website options you want to apply to your domain name renewals.
  8. Complete the checkout process.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/can-i-renew-my-domain-name-after-it-expires-609

Can I renew my domain name after it expires?
In many cases, yes. It depends upon your domain name's extension and its registry rules.

If the registry for your domain name extension allows it, we hold your expired domain name for a few days waiting for you to renew it. For many domain name extensions (such as .com, .net, and .org) there is a grace period allowing you to renew the domain name after expiration without penalty. After the grace period for these extensions, you must pay a redemption fee plus the cost of regular renewal if you want to keep the domain name.

For some domain name extensions, primarily country code (ccTLD) extensions, there is no grace period. Once the domain name expires, you must pay a redemption fee plus renewal to keep the domain name.

Our Process for Handling Expired Domain Names
The process we, the registrar, follow for expired domain names depends on your domain name extensions and their renewal settings. Prior to expiration, we send multiple emails to remind you to renew your domain names.

If you set your domain names to automatically renew, we attempt to renew the registrations for you the day after expiration. If we are unable to bill you due to changes in your account, we park your expired domain names and notify you via email again.

If you have recently updated your credit or debit card, you can change your payment method for auto-renew. You can also change your contact info at any time to ensure that auto-renew works seamlessly.

If you set your domain names to manually renew and you let your domain names expire, we park your expired domain names and notify you via email again the day after expiration.

For expired .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us, .ws, .name, .cc, .mobi, .me, or .tv domain name registrations, we hold your domain name for approximately 42 days before canceling it. Domain name renewal during this period is subject to applicable renewal and redemption fees. For more information, see What happens after domain names expire? and Recovering Expired Domain Names.

Automatic Renewal
If you set the domain name to automatic renewal, when your domain name registration expires, we take the following steps before canceling it:

• On the day after your domain name registration's expiration date, we attempt to bill you for the domain name renewal. If we cannot renew the domain name (for example, your card on file expired), we notify you of the domain name registration's expiration and park your domain name. You can manually renew your domain name.
  • On the 5th day after expiration, we email you additional notifications. You can manually renew your domain name.
  • On the 12th day after expiration, your domain name remains on hold but becomes subject to a redemption fee. You can call customer support to renew your domain name, subject to any applicable renewal and redemption fees.
  • On the 25th day after expiration, we put your domain name up for auction with a domain name industry auction service. You can manually renew your domain name, subject to any applicable renewal and redemption fees.
  • On the 42nd day after expiration, we cancel your domain name. We delete all services associated with the domain name.
The registry might hold the domain name before releasing it for general registration.

Manual Renewal
If you did not set your domain names to automatically renew, when your domain name registration expires, we proceed with the following steps before canceling it:

• On the day after your domain name registration's expiration date, we notify you of the domain name registration's expiration and park your domain name. You can manually renew your domain name.
  • On the 5th day after expiration, we email you additional notifications. You can manually renew your domain name.
  • On the 12th day after expiration, your domain name remains on hold but becomes subject to a redemption fee. You can manually renew your domain name, subject to any applicable renewal and redemption fees.
  • On the 25th day after expiration, we put your domain name up for auction with a domain name industry auction service. You can manually renew your domain name, subject to any applicable renewal and redemption fees.
  • On the 42nd day after expiration, we cancel your domain name. We delete all services associated with the domain name.
The registry might hold the domain name before releasing it for general registration.

For information on manually renewing your domain names, see Renew my domain.

•••
Understanding the process may help you moving forward with regard to names with GD, or their affiliates.

...gl

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

What happens after domain names expire?
Once a domain name expires, it goes through many stages before being released to the open market. GoDaddy sends five renewal emails to the GoDaddy account owner prior to the expiration date. Below is a timeline based on .com domain names.

These timelines do not apply to ccTLD domain names.

Days after expiration Action
Day 1 We make the first of three billing attempts to renew the domain name.
Day 5 We make the second billing attempt. If the billing fails on the day of, or auto renew fails, the domain name expires and is immediately set to parking. The domain can be renewed by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 12 We make the third and final attempt to renew the domain name. The domain name can still be renewable by the registrant at no extra cost.
Day 19 The domain name can be renewed by the registrant for the cost of a one-year renewal plus an $80.00 redemption fee.
Day 26 We add the domain name to an expired domain name auction.
Day 36 The expired domain name auction ends. If there are no backorders and no bidders in the expired domain name auction, we list the domain name in a closeout auction.
Day 41 The closeout auction ends.
Day 43 We assign the domain name to the winner of the expired domain name auction, backorder, or closeout. If there are no bidders, we return the domain name to the registry.
A registrant can renew an expired domain name at no extra cost up to day 18. If they renew an expired domain name anytime between day 19 and day 42, they must also pay an $80.00 redemption fee. The domain name might not be available for renewal after day 42.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/recovering-expired-domain-names-5018

Recovering Expired Domain Names
You can attempt to recover expired top-level domain names (TLDs) during the renewal grace and registry redemption periods. In addition to the cost of renewal, you might be required to pay a fee for the domain name recovery. For more information, see Can I renew my domain name after it expires?

To Recover Expired Domain Names
  1. Log in to your GoDaddy account.
  2. Next to Domains, click Manage.
  3. From the Domains menu, select Expired Domains.
  4. Select the domain names you want to recover.
  5. Click Recover.
  6. Select the renewal length for the domain names, and then click Next.
    Renewal lengths for multiple domain names can vary depending on maximum renewal lengths allowed by each domain name registry.

7. (Optional) Select the registration and website options you want to apply to your domain name renewals.
  8. Complete the checkout process.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/can-i-renew-my-domain-name-after-it-expires-609

Can I renew my domain name after it expires?
In many cases, yes. It depends upon your domain name's extension and its registry rules.

If the registry for your domain name extension allows it, we hold your expired domain name for a few days waiting for you to renew it. For many domain name extensions (such as .com, .net, and .org) there is a grace period allowing you to renew the domain name after expiration without penalty. After the grace period for these extensions, you must pay a redemption fee plus the cost of regular renewal if you want to keep the domain name.

For some domain name extensions, primarily country code (ccTLD) extensions, there is no grace period. Once the domain name expires, you must pay a redemption fee plus renewal to keep the domain name.

Our Process for Handling Expired Domain Names
The process we, the registrar, follow for expired domain names depends on your domain name extensions and their renewal settings. Prior to expiration, we send multiple emails to remind you to renew your domain names.

If you set your domain names to automatically renew, we attempt to renew the registrations for you the day after expiration. If we are unable to bill you due to changes in your account, we park your expired domain names and notify you via email again.

If you have recently updated your credit or debit card, you can change your payment method for auto-renew. You can also change your contact info at any time to ensure that auto-renew works seamlessly.

If you set your domain names to manually renew and you let your domain names expire, we park your expired domain names and notify you via email again the day after expiration.

For expired .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us, .ws, .name, .cc, .mobi, .me, or .tv domain name registrations, we hold your domain name for approximately 42 days before canceling it. Domain name renewal during this period is subject to applicable renewal and redemption fees. For more information, see What happens after domain names expire? and Recovering Expired Domain Names.

Automatic Renewal
If you set the domain name to automatic renewal, when your domain name registration expires, we take the following steps before canceling it:

• On the day after your domain name registration's expiration date, we attempt to bill you for the domain name renewal. If we cannot renew the domain name (for example, your card on file expired), we notify you of the domain name registration's expiration and park your domain name. You can manually renew your domain name.
  • On the 12th day after expiration, your domain name remains on hold but becomes subject to a redemption fee. You can call customer support to renew your domain name, subject to any applicable renewal and redemption fees.

Manual Renewal
If you did not set your domain names to automatically renew, when your domain name registration expires, we proceed with the following steps before canceling it:

• On the day after your domain name registration's expiration date, we notify you of the domain name registration's expiration and park your domain name. You can manually renew your domain name.
  • On the 12th day after expiration, your domain name remains on hold but becomes subject to a redemption fee. You can manually renew your domain name, subject to any applicable renewal and redemption fees.

For information on manually renewing your domain names, see Renew my domain.

did not see this post. Thanks. Good read. but none of this gives you a "heads up" that domains can be transferred within a certain time frame after expiration date.

SNEAKY!!

Last edited:
•••
in some time , i need request 2 or 3 time for receive auth code from godaddy , i think that the system not like it .

In your case , your unique solution is transfer out the domains .

I transfer many domains out in this 40 days after expired data , now dynadot have copy godaddy and apply a $10 fee after +/- 20 days .

Need transfer out at other registrar for not pay any redemption fee at your registrar. ( I think , this fee , many endusers with 1-2 domains can pay it when not remember to renew the domains in the first days after expired data )

Dynadot charge you an extra $10 after 30 days. And you can still renew/transfer the domain up to 40 days (when it's taken out of your account).

•••
PM me a list of the domains - maybe something interesting for me!?

after it's completely transferred I did let some go.

•••
after it's completely transferred I did let some go.

Have you got the auth codes yet? I'd be quite surprised if a GoDaddy Reseller had different terms to GoDaddy regarding their grace period of 42 days.

•••
is it just me? after reading the posts on here mentioning Godaddy? that a Godaddy REP hasn't trolled this thread and come in here and "HELP"? or at least give their TWO CENTS about how their reps seem to neglect to share this valuable info?

and would rather proceed to get customers to fork over $80?

I mean if I was Godaddy I'd come in here and explain at least?

I'm sure they have reps that trolled for keyword GODADDY on Namepros.

yes? or no?

•••
Have you got the auth codes yet? I'd be quite surprised if a GoDaddy Reseller had different terms to GoDaddy regarding their grace period of 42 days.

yea Got the auth codes.

basically the Godaddy rep. repping CheapDomain. had NO CLUE (Surprised? lol)

but reading between the lines on what Tiger said.

basically Bottom line?

if their system still allows me to UNLOCK my domains and still allows me to email myself the auth codes?

then I'm GOOD.

I think based on ICANN rules or whatever they have to show ICANN that they provide customers the ability to transfer out(after expiration) within the normal allowed time as ruled by ICANN?

but they won't outright advertise it nor "push" their reps to give customers THAT option.

•••
@Avtar629 - I think since you now have the Auth Codes you should immediately transfer them to NameSilo. They are a very good, domainers, registrar. Unlike GoDaddy. You won't be disappointed with their service.

Last edited:
•••
did not see this post. Thanks. Good read. but none of this gives you a "heads up" that domains can be transferred within a certain time frame after expiration date.

SNEAKY!!

Nothing sneaky, IMO. The key is not waiting until after your name expires to try and transfer away, or renew it, especially waiting so long after expiration. Remember, GD gives roughly three months of reminder emails and account notifications, plus an additional 18 days after it technically expires and officially passes the respective renewal date, which totals near four months of opportunity to renew. It seems logical that if you can't decide to spend 8 bucks to renew a name in that time frame, it's probably best to let it drop, IMO.

•••
Nothing sneaky, IMO. The key is not waiting until after your name expires to try and transfer away, or renew it, especially waiting so long after expiration. Remember, GD gives roughly three months of reminder emails and account notifications, plus an additional 18 days after it technically expires and officially passes the respective renewal date, which totals near four months of opportunity to renew. It seems logical that if you can't decide to spend 8 bucks to renew a name in that time frame, it's probably best to let it drop, IMO.

Agreed but like I said this was one of those "things" where I don't know really what it was. my card was cleared for charges to be covered. but this time it didn't.
and admittedly I don't check emails so often in summer. lol

so yea.

it's my fault for not checking. but it wasn't "indecision" just a CC glitch. not on my end but there's as they charged successfully all the domains that expired AFTER this first expired batch. doesn't make sense why their system would "skip" over the first batch of expired domains especially when the second batch was charged and paid for successfully.

all I'm saying. it's ok now though. ALL set Transfer is on the way.

there were about 10 domains where I missed a letter or number or symbol in the auth codes. (missed highlighting it)

but all set now. CheapDomain has emailed me about the transfer. nothing left to do.

HAPPY! lol

thanks for your input Rev!

Last edited:
•••
@Avtar629 - I think since you now have the Auth Codes you should immediately transfer them to NameSilo. They are a very good, domainers, registrar. Unlike GoDaddy. You won't be disappointed with their service.

yea. someone emailed me already saying that I had incorrect transfer codes. I'm all set Stub!

•••
yea. someone emailed me already saying that I had incorrect transfer codes. I'm all set Stub!

It doesn't sound like your all set if you have incorrect Auth Codes :( Who emailed you?

•••
Agreed but like I said this was one of those "things" where I don't know really what it was. my card was cleared for charges to be covered. but this time it didn't.
and admittedly I don't check emails so often in summer. lol

so yea.

it's my fault for not checking. but it wasn't "indecision" just a CC glitch. not on my end but there's as they charged successfully all the domains that expired AFTER this first expired batch. doesn't make sense why their system would "skip" over the first batch of expired domains especially when the second batch was charged and paid for successfully.

all I'm saying. it's ok now though. ALL set Transfer is on the way.

there were about 10 domains where I missed a letter or number or symbol in the auth codes. (missed highlighting it)

but all set now. CheapDomain has emailed me about the transfer. nothing left to do.

HAPPY! lol

thanks for your input Rev!

Happy to read things have worked out. Best of luck with your names.

Cheers!

•••
It doesn't sound like your all set if you have incorrect Auth Codes :( Who emailed you?

lol yea my bad correct auth codes. just my fat fingers and mouse.lol

all set now. thanks.

•••
I'm just looking at this now ,just scanned thru , don't forget to unlock domain b4 you push auth code , also with godaddy you have to send the auth code 2 times in a row, they make you jump through hoops,,Namesilo is great ,,also after you push through go to godaddy and accept the domains and they will be in your account right away . I can push a domain out of godaddy and into namesilo in less than 20 min soup to nuts

I must add if the name is under the old owner admin ,your ----ed unless the guy is a domainer and willing to help you out,or else your gonna pay 80 smackers

Last edited:
•••
do u guys know if I can pay redemptoin fee at gd and get back domain expired 60 days ago? if so, til when is the max? day 70?

whois still shows my name there. cheers.

Last edited:
•••
do u guys know if I can pay redemptoin fee at gd and get back domain expired 60 days ago? if so, til when is the max? day 70?

We don't hear much discussion about post 45 days after expiry discussions on GoDaddy. My take would be that GoDaddy take away the previous owners rights before the 45 day period, and so you probably are not going to get much help from GoDaddy to renew a domain which went thru their auction process without any bids. Since they consider you to no longer be the owner. Even if ICANN say, you are the ONLY person who can renew the domain in the Registry Redemption Period. You probably need to act forcefully, and pay an unspecified amount of redemption fee, in order for them to renew the domain with the Registry. I would imagine it's going to be a long hard road, to embark on. Best of luck. One word of advice. Don't ask support. You should probably go thru your Account Manager, if you have one. @Joe Styler .

•••
thanks for the info Stub.
I was kinda told by suport it could be hard past day 45.
not sure if its GD specific.. that makes it hard...
cause I've already brought back to life a domain from day 60 past expiry.. at domain.com..... $100 fee.

where they clearly told me its comon practice there and perfectly fine to get it back with the fee, up to the delete window which I think is 70-75.. then it goes back to public reg.

•••

Is the domain still in your expired domain list in your control panel?

I think most Registrars lose money on any domain renewed in the Registry Redemption Period. It's probably a manual process to get it renewed at the Registry. Hence they keep this feature quiet rather than singing it from the rooftops.

Last edited:
•••
So awesome how this thread is TOP. I'm glad I asked. I'm sure there are some newbies reading this now and never knew the info on here.

Glad to help!(y)

Thanks to all!

Good to all on your domains!

•••
Is the domain still in your expired domain list in your control panel?

nope........ not there........

I don't look into expired domains section.. but I think they more or less leave that place around day 45 or so..

I'm talking about .com of course.

•••
nope........ not there........

I don't look into expired domains section.. but I think they more or less leave that place around day 45 or so..

I'm talking about .com of course.

At least it's still you in the whois :)

•••
@alcy - yes you can, by ICANN rules, you are in the mandatory 30 day RGP Redemption Grace Period. Do you actually want to pursue it, or are you just asking so you know for future reference?

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

My best research shows is it is still only $80, and they really have to pay the registry a fee so likely there won't be any flexibility on the fee
https://ca.godaddy.com/agreements/ShowDoc.aspx?pageid=reg_sa
Section 3B
If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay GoDaddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry's Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.

It's not quite manual, but some hoops are involved, see page 16-19 of the PDF transcript here:
http://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/

@Avtar629 - do you mind this related detour? If so we can start a new thread.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back