IT.COM

question Expired domain. How many days before $80?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
So had a bunch of domains expire. There was an issue with the card.:shy::banghead::jawdrop::nailbiting:(n)

So they tell me yea yea it's "recoverable" .....sureeeeeee! @$80 a pop!

They said I only had 18 days "window of opportunity" to renew normally.

I misunderstood thinking I had 45 days.

Why did I think this??! Is 45 days the time for something else?

I think my other domains also expired over at another registration ( same card issue).

That registrar I think if I remember correctly said I had 45 days.

Did this other registrar change their grace period?

I do recall with with this "problem" registrar that they give you 45 days to delete domains you autorenewed for full refund.

Could that have confused me?

The domains are with a GoDaddy reseller.

Can someone clarify this for me?

I'm assuming these time frames are the same with all registrars.

I have a scheduled phone call with the rep later today.

He said he will work out a deal for the domains that expired past the 18 days.

With a "significant" discount.:ROFL::banghead:(y)>:(

Now I wonder how much "discount" from $80 can there be?(n):nailbiting:

I bet it will be $50? I'd be happy with $20 but probably going to be $30-$40.

Any advice ?

Did different registrar's have different redemption periods?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@alcy - yes you can, by ICANN rules, you are in the mandatory 30 day RGP Redemption Grace Period. Do you actually want to pursue it, or are you just asking so you know for future reference?

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

My best research shows is it is still only $80, and they really have to pay the registry a fee so likely there won't be any flexibility on the fee
https://ca.godaddy.com/agreements/ShowDoc.aspx?pageid=reg_sa
Section 3B
If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay GoDaddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry's Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.

It's not quite manual, but some hoops are involved, see page 16-19 of the PDF transcript here:
http://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/

@Avtar629 - do you mind this related detour? If so we can start a new thread.

appreciate the info
so according to this, assuming domain not bought on expired or closeout etc, and beloging to no one past that 45 day period, I should be able to get something done to get it back. and this should essentially not vary from registry to registry. I'll look closer into it.

as matter of fact since I posted my question on this about GD, another potential need to do same may have arised from uniregistry.. this time for a .co domain expired 55 days ago.. howeverm when I go to my uniregistry archived domains section, it shows that domain as "taken"... but whois still shows my info. I guess these timelines and are rules are quite different for .co... I think they get releasd back to public much quicker or something.. but then.. why still my info.. if its showing taken? hmmmmm.. weird. that one expired june11.

•••
@alcy - yes you can, by ICANN rules, you are in the mandatory 30 day RGP Redemption Grace Period. Do you actually want to pursue it, or are you just asking so you know for future reference?

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

My best research shows is it is still only $80, and they really have to pay the registry a fee so likely there won't be any flexibility on the fee
https://ca.godaddy.com/agreements/ShowDoc.aspx?pageid=reg_sa
Section 3B
If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay GoDaddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry's Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.

It's not quite manual, but some hoops are involved, see page 16-19 of the PDF transcript here:
http://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/

@Avtar629 - do you mind this related detour? If so we can start a new thread.

Naah cmon @usernamex! I'm not that uptight. Keep it going. All is welcome! Lol

•••
By the way? Lol the GoDaddy rep still emailing me. Telling me he is "in the office " to handle my problem.

Does he not know yet that I've started the transfer process?lol

Here I am laughing . Better quit it. Might jinx it. Lol

Still can't believe he offered to go back to the office in the middle of the night to "help" me.

Figured he got a "live one" on the line scared sh*tless about losing my domains.

I think in situations like this maybe they get commission ?

That really was odd.

Last edited:
•••
do u guys know if I can pay redemptoin fee at gd and get back domain expired 60 days ago? if so, til when is the max? day 70?

whois still shows my name there. cheers.

42-45 days are max for you to renew. 60 days no chance. after 75 days its deleted.

•••
42-45 days are max for you to renew. 60 days no chance. after 75 days its deleted.

tnx
well its already been discussed by others that there is a redemption period from day ~42-72.. at least for .com. but good for near all extensions.. and most/all registrars.. its like an icann rule..

I was also able to verify it directly iwth godady and uniregistry today.

so this should apply to most domains and most registrars.. if not all.

from the info I collected.

thanks!

•••
Go to expired domains (assumed cp is like godaddy's)
check the names you want
press unlock
check those again
and press send auth codes

•••
Go to expired domains (assumed cp is like godaddy's)
check the names you want
press unlock
check those again
and press send auth codes

yup Dr. Manos. already solved Thanks though.

. coincidentally. I just asked the NP team if I could list my expired domains on here that were still recoverable prior to the point where you'd have to pay $80.

still not sure if the "magic number" is 30 or 42?

I spoke to Godaddy just yesterday and the rep kept saying 18 days.

why do these people keep lying???? or do they just not know? or playing dumb?

I wish Godaddy rep would come in here and chime in. there has to be some Godaddy reps here.

if yes. they are welcome to contribute.

•••
@Avtar629 - it's been answered, you are adding to your own confusion by calling and asking different GD reps over and over

This applies to GoDaddy ONLY - other registrars have their own timelines

Day 1 until Day 18 after expiration - You can renew at regular renewal cost WITHOUT any extra fee from GoDaddy
Day 19 until Day 42 after expiration - You can renew at regular renewal cost PLUS the GoDaddy Redemption Fee of $80
Day 43 - if the domain has been purchased in GD Auctions, you will lose your domain
Day 43 - if the domain has NOT been purchased in GD Auctions, you *MIGHT* still be able to recover your domain up to Day 44 until GD returns the domain to the Registry. Once the WhoIs status shows Status: redemptionPeriod it is too late.

TRANSFER Away from GoDaddy
During Day 1 - Day 44ish you CAN transfer your domains away from GoDaddy to another registrar for regular transfer cost, as long as you did NOT have Privacy enabled before the domain expired. Transfer requires you UNLOCK the domain and request Auth Code, which are better and easier done using the BULK requests

Day 45 - Day 75 - the domain is held by the Registry and will show Status: redemptionPeriod in WhoIs for 30 days. At this point the ONLY way to recover your domain is through GoDaddy and you will pay the Redemption Fee of $80.

Day 76 - Day 80 - Once the WhoIs domain status changes to Status: pendingDelete, you can no longer recover your domain name and retain the original registration date. It may be possible to catch your domain name and re-register it again as a new registration when it drops.

Day 81 - The domain is dropped and can be freely registered by anyone

The timeline for GoDaddy is in their Help section
https://ca.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

Here is a picture of the Help section timeline

np-gd-expiration-timeline.png

Last edited:
•••
@Avtar629 - it's been answered, you are adding to your own confusion by calling and asking different GD reps over and over

This applies to GoDaddy ONLY - other registrars have their own timelines

Day 1 until Day 18 after expiration - You can renew at regular renewal cost WITHOUT any extra fee from GoDaddy
Day 19 until Day 42 after expiration - You can renew at regular renewal cost PLUS the GoDaddy Redemption Fee of $80
Day 43 - if the domain has been purchased in GD Auctions, you will lose your domain
Day 43 - if the domain has NOT been purchased in GD Auctions, you *MIGHT* still be able to recover your domain up to Day 44 until GD returns the domain to the Registry. Once the WhoIs status shows Status: redemptionPeriod it is too late.

During Day 1 - Day 44ish you CAN transfer your domains away from GoDaddy to another registrar for regular transfer cost, as long as you did NOT have Privacy enabled before the domain expired. Transfer requires you UNLOCK the domain and request Auth Code, which are better and easier done using the BULK requests

Day 45 - Day 75 - the domain is held by the Registry and will show Status: redemptionPeriod in WhoIs for 30 days. At this point the ONLY way to recover your domain is through GoDaddy and you will pay the Redemption Fee of $80.

Day 76 - Day 80 - Once the WhoIs domain status changes to Status: pendingDelete, you can no longer recover your domain name and retain the original registration date. It may be possible to catch your domain name and re-register it again as a new registration when it drops.

Day 81 - The domain is dropped and can be freely registered by anyone

The timeline for GoDaddy is in their Help section
https://ca.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

Here is a picture of the Help section timeline

np-gd-expiration-timeline.png

Really great analysis, just the remark that between 18th and 40th day can transfer the domain away with the regular fee

•••
I'm back so all my domains did get transferred over to NameSilo

You guys did on thee other hand created a monster in the process. I'm saving big money transferring over last minute LCN now too.

funny thing is Godaddy? after I transferred out. They sent me an email reminding me that their transfers are $7.99

so is this what you slick domainers do to save money?

has anyone ever bargained with the registrars you are exiting from? to maybe give you a deal? I doubt they would. but what if the amount of domains you are transferring was huge?

•••
I'm back so all my domains did get transferred over to NameSilo

You guys did on thee other hand created a monster in the process. I'm saving big money transferring over last minute LCN now too.

funny thing is Godaddy? after I transferred out. They sent me an email reminding me that their transfers are $7.99

so is this what you slick domainers do to save money?

has anyone ever bargained with the registrars you are exiting from? to maybe give you a deal? I doubt they would. but what if the amount of domains you are transferring was huge?

It is true that many registrars have lower prices for transfer in than renewals in order to bring new customers and increase their domain volume. GD is typical, especially with many coupons around, can have good pricing to transfer there and add a year.
Actually following the transfer offers all the year at various registrars can have a significant save of renewals expenses.

•••
Ok so update. This is all an ongoing process for me so I popped over to both dotster and netfirms. It seems their "Scare tactic" via email stating that the day your domains EXPIRE you lose them is BS. Support confirmed that you have at least 2 weeks after expiration before redemption phase and in these 2 weeks you can still transfer.

can anyone confirm this? or is this 2 weeks bs too? Thanks in advance!

•••
Ok so update. This is all an ongoing process for me so I popped over to both dotster and netfirms. It seems their "Scare tactic" via email stating that the day your domains EXPIRE you lose them is BS. Support confirmed that you have at least 2 weeks after expiration before redemption phase and in these 2 weeks you can still transfer.

can anyone confirm this? or is this 2 weeks bs too? Thanks in advance!
It's 29 days until you can no longer request the auth code. You just need to confirm the transfer within those 29 days.

•••
It's 29 days until you can no longer request the auth code. You just need to confirm the transfer within those 29 days.

wow! see that? 29 days after expiration? why would they say 2 weeks? I mean you trust these people when they say "2 weeks" but it's all bs!

Thanks Korganian. how do you know this? you confirmed this how? Confirm the transfer how. you meaning going on the chat? or you mean confirming it via their domain manager thingey? or at the registrar you are transferring too?

•••
oh FORGOT to mention?! I was talking to the rep on chat, she wanted to know why I'm transferring? I said found cheaper price for transfer for $6.22.

she put me on hold for a bit and said I would be emailed via the ticket system and see if they can accommodate me on the price since I had so many with them.

We SHALL SEE!

anyone know what the transfer to Dotster and sister sites costs?

•••
wow! see that? 29 days after expiration? why would they say 2 weeks? I mean you trust these people when they say "2 weeks" but it's all bs!

Thanks Korganian. how do you know this? you confirmed this how? Confirm the transfer how. you meaning going on the chat? or you mean confirming it via their domain manager thingey? or at the registrar you are transferring too?
I know by experience.

You have to follow the link in the transfer confirmation email from Netfirms etc.

•••
I see I see. Thanks Korganian! have a great weekend!

•••
Call Godaddy customer service, ask them to waive the redemption fee, they will waive it for you only one time and you will pay only the renewal fee.

•••
Call Godaddy customer service, ask them to waive the redemption fee, they will waive it for you only one time and you will pay only the renewal fee.

let me tell you. those Godaddy people? I swear they are either Bi-polar or just clueless as to what is possible and not possible in their own company. that "advice" of yours ? I'm sure worked for you? but it's like 50-50 with them depending on who you get on the phone. I mean don't get me wrong I'll try but I'm not confident it will work. Thanks though. all they do is doom and gloom and all "wrath of God" type fear mongering. really ridiculous! lol

•••
I am a godaddy customer 15 years now, i love GD customer support, when ai call them they always help me.
When you call them, if you dont like agent tell the agent to transfer you to the supervisor and i am sure the supervisor will help you. I love Godaddy customer support.

•••
Epik is best for transferring expired GD domains.

Only need to unlock domain with Auth/EPP code. Does not require approval emails. :)

@RL @Slanted

•••
Epik is best for transferring expired GD domains.

Only need to unlock domain with Auth/EPP code. Does not require approval emails. :)

@RL @Slanted

buy what's the Vig? or renewal fee? it always boil down to price.

also. update.

I'm finding myself in "the same situation" now with Name.com registered domains.

anyone know when the "cut off point" is before tha $80 redemption fee is for Name.com registered domains?

Any help is much appreciated thanks.

•••
buy what's the Vig? or renewal fee? it always boil down to price.

also. update.

I'm finding myself in "the same situation" now with Name.com registered domains.

anyone know when the "cut off point" is before tha $80 redemption fee is for Name.com registered domains?

Any help is much appreciated thanks.
The last time I spoke with Name.com support, they told me that they can do anything they want with domains after the 25th day past expiration.

•••
The last time I spoke with Name.com support, they told me that they can do anything they want with domains after the 25th day past expiration.

wow! okay! thanks for that! and it really sucks when you can't reach some registrars on the weekends. like what hell man?!?! I don't stop working on weekends! that's when I start preparing my auctions. on Sundays! lol

Thanks Korganian so domains that Expired on August 10th? have until August 4th?

yikes! ok!

•••
Thanks @korganian - good to know
Also name.com does instant expired auctions so if you are the former owner there's no getting it back if someone buys it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back