Domain Empire

new gtlds Everyone saying to not invest in gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steger13

Established Member
Impact
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So What is the best thing to do then? Seams that everyone has their own thoughts about this topic. Lot of confusions with this. :banghead:

Here is simple math: .com is one of 1000 extensions and it has probably around 65%+ of all reported sales.

Think about it! 1 extension has 2/3 of all sales while the rest of 999 gets 1/3. Now, also think that 2/3 of that 1/3 goes to cctlds+.org/.net and you are left with 1/3 of 1/3 for anything exotic and your end users have much bigger choice than .com, .cctld or .org users, because those normally want just that specific extension, while the others are by definition into experimenting...

•••
In this perspective,
Isn`t all the portfolio you are holding also a liability in terms of no sales yet?

.com has a market and low renewals = asset
.tours no market and high renewals = liability

In my opinion anything with high renewals should be viewed as liability unless proven otherwise.

No proven market + high renewal = liability

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
If you develop a domain like this I assure you it would pay off its 10 years renewal only by 1 month`s earnings.

Wish I had it.

Owner is apparently from NYC and Turkish.

easier said than done. like saying you can be a billionaire buying a domain like instagr.am.

if you develop you make money because of the effort, time, money and knowledge that you put into a project not because you bought an exact match domain. there are many available. look newyorktours.cx for example.

Google treats these the same. The only thing you need to do is to develop them and start earning cash.

easy money from exact match was 10 years ago though.

Today having an exact match alone will not get you far in any competitive niche like travel.

you need more than a domain.

also how many of a portfolio can be developed? if you have 50-100 names you need to rely on sales you can not develop them.

with renewal prices like these you can't make money as a domainer IMO.

a 100 domain portfolio will cost you 100k/year. you need 100k in sales each year just to break even.

after a few years you will have spent around half a million in renewals. You could buy a single LL:com for that amount,with much less risk!

you will never sell all domains that is why you will need to sell the domains for at least 5-10 times what they cost you to make it worthwhile.

in the first year that would be a $5-10k sale price, in year 2 $10k-20k, year 3 $15-30k etc.

after year 4 an average sale price of 20k-40k. how many new TLDs will sell for 40k a piece?

travel.agency was sold for less than $5k because there weren't any end-users interested in it.

Last edited:
•••
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?
All I can advice is not to waste your time discussing your new gTLD investment strategy with holders of average .com portfolios. Outcome of such discussions can not be otherwise then purely rudiculous :)

You have noticed very correctly - 99% of great new gTLD domains are already registred and sitting in private portfolios. The ones which dropped are quickly withdrawn by registries, and re priced by huge premium tags. Registries starts to be biggest domainers. So soon question about whether to invest in new gTLDs will become theoretical from large part. Not because they will fail (it is not going to happen no matter how much .com camp would love that), but because you will miss whole opportunity - I guess it is already almost missed anyway.

And that all is logical. So I would advice, instead of hearing lot of nonsese about new gTLDs from .com owners, do serious research, and mainly - use your own brain and vision - pick names which has great chance to by used by serious end users in future. Always ask this question - can big business use this domain in future? If yes, and if the domain has low renewal, then get it. That is whole secret :)

•••
99% of great new gTLD domains are already registred and sitting in private portfolios

So if all the great ones are gone already, what's left for the average new gtld domainer? Less than great keywords in extensions most of the world hasn't heard of?

Registries starts to be biggest domainers.

True and how is this good for the average new gtld domainer? They keep the best ones for themselves and leave you guys the rest.

Not because they will fail (it is not going to happen no matter how much .com camp would love that),

What data would you like to use to measure that, you pick.

do serious research

What research? Sales in an extension you want to invest in? Something else?

Last edited:
•••
The ones which dropped are quickly withdrawn by registries, and re priced by huge premium tags. Registries starts to be biggest domainers.

the registries were always the biggest domainers from day one. That is why that regardless of popularity there will be not much of a domaining future in the new TLDs.

domainers make money from buying dropped domains and putting a much higher price tag on them and selling to end-users.

the future of TLD pricing will be what Frank Schilling is doing or what .art is doing right now.

Domainers will be cut out of the equation. Let's be clear.

Don't put a dollar into this system unless you can be really sure that you will make some money. If not you are just wasting money financing a system that will work against you in the future if it doesn't already.

"99% of great new gTLD domains are already registred and sitting in private portfolios"

losing their happy owners small fortunes as promo has shown us.

Also i doubt that 99% are privately owned. My guess would be most are registry owned.

if you want to see how owners that got premium keywords for regfee are doing look here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/vip-sheets-vip-feedback-vip-kosovo-vip-etc-lot.1019356/

how are the premium renewal guys doing? don't want to know.

Last edited:
•••
If you develop a domain like this I assure you it would pay off its 10 years renewal only by 1 month`s earnings.
The thing is, any domain can be developed. That's webmaster reasoning. But the domain doesn't have much built-in value.
There is no incentive for somebody to buy a domain from you if it doesn't carry some built-in value, or fits with in their branding plans.

Keep in mind that the majority of domainers are losing money, and most .com portfolios are not sustainable. But the problem is not the .com extension, the problem is the left of the dot.
When you're dealing in new extensions, the TLD is the problem, but the left of the dot often leaves a lot to desire as well. And making repeat sales is a challenging endeavor.
It's already hard enough to sell .com, do we want to make our life more difficult when end users are not familiar at all with alt extensions. I don't have that kind of patience yet I can hold on to a domain name for ten years until I sell it.

Last edited:
•••
.commie supremacist cartel cult crusaders so desperate they've hijacked yet another thread spewing their bs irrational 'logic'

hahaha

why am i not surprised

Last edited:
•••
end users are already familiar with gtlds

plenty using .tv, .news, .blog and more

•••
buying a domain is half the process

selling a domain is half the process

learn both

buying and selling domains requires some intelligence irrespective of tld

•••
-nm-

Last edited:
•••
.commie supremacist cartel cult crusaders so desperate they've hijacked yet another thread spewing their bs irrational 'logic'

hahaha

why am i not surprised

lol. nice choice of words.

.commie
supremacist
cult
desperate
hijacked
spewing
bs
irrational

perhaps you are desperate because you invest in extensions that work against domainers and that are not liked by end-users. How long can you afford to pay renewal fees and wait for the second coming?

it's the opposite of a cartel of course. In a cartel prices are fixed and kept high while in .com they are kept low. There have always been alternatives to .com

who is engaging in keeping prices high? Who can fix the prices how they want to? The new TLDs of course.

end users are already familiar with gtlds

yes and they are still not buying. Something worth thinking about.

buying and selling domains requires some intelligence irrespective of tld

all the intelligence in the world will not help you if you are sitting on a bunch of .co.ck domains.

Last edited:
•••
Diversify. Low directional risk is very important when deploying a long term sustainable investment strategy.

There is too much energy wasted arguing about whether or not new g's are a good investment. Depending on the purchasing conditions, they can be very good investments but like many other extensions it depends on the name, client pool , expected return and expected holding period.

When investing if you are not risk averse and don't proceed with caution, you will fail. The same goes with domains. So when it comes to people being in the red in ngtlds, I wouldn't blame the extensions themselves, although some are obviously poor, I would suggest that the majority of fault lies on the poor decision making, analysis and investment management of individual domain investors.

If you want to make money, spend less time being concerned about what everyone else thinks, take the time to research and operate differently from the crowd. Everyone may be saying one thing, but if you have an edge it doesn't matter because you'll come out as a winner.

Rather than wasting time deliberating how investible ngtlds are take the time to properly analyze the market, find an extension that you think has good opportunities and find an edge. People will shit talk you to kingdom come but if you have something valuable that you can comfortably maintain long-term, it really doesn't matter what they say....let them talk. To the victor goes the spoils.

•••
There are also names that domainers prefer and end users have never owned just other domainers. End users buy a lot of extensions that have been questionably over priced just for the keyword. I can say i was a slow converter to buying gTLDs and let some fine ones pass me. I am now keen on gTLDs even without a sale to date. I may drop a few that are sub par but there are still some winners to be picked up now. A good type in will bring traffic. What is happening is decline of the use of 3-4 word dot com. There will be a new average eventually. Just make sure your LLLL are words as I wouldn't be abbreviating anything without all TLD dot net and dot org taken

•••
The thing is, any domain can be developed. That's webmaster reasoning. But the domain doesn't have much built-in value.
There is no incentive for somebody to buy a domain from you if it doesn't carry some built-in value, or fits with in their branding plans.

Keep in mind that the majority of domainers are losing money, and most .com portfolios are not sustainable. But the problem is not the .com extension, the problem is the left of the dot.
When you're dealing in new extensions, the TLD is the problem, but the left of the dot often leaves a lot to desire as well. And making repeat sales is a challenging endeavor.
It's already hard enough to sell .com, do we want to make our life more difficult when end users are not familiar at all with alt extensions. I don't have that kind of patience yet I can hold on to a domain name for ten years until I sell it.
People in Turkey, are familiar with new extensions.
And I am sure most of the Americans too.
Do you say NewYork.tours have no built-in value? :xf.eek:O_o:bored::xf.laugh::ROFL:
I exclude the following ones:

:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
SOME DOMAINERS ARE IGNORANT AND PROUD WITH IT

@Steger13 just don`t be an ignorant one for your own good man

•••
to say these are frightening stats is an understatement. run people, run.

for 70k a year you could still build yourself a beautiful .com portfolio with much less risk.

everyone says 5 years. we are already in year 4 and nothing has happened!

They started with "wait 3 years". When that passed it was "wait 5 years". After 5 years my guess it will be "wait 10 years". And so on...

•••
problem with .tours is that in nearly 2 years only 6500 domains have been registered. That's the case with so many of these new extensions - except the 1 cent promotional ones of course. So what's the renewal fee going to be in the future on any of the new extensions? Nobody knows - and which of the new extensions will survive this lack of demand? Nobody knows.

•••
People in Turkey, are familiar with new extensions.
And I am sure most of the Americans too.
Which people ? Tell me which new extensions are popular in Turkey.
Just because you have seen one on a billboard once doesn't mean they are popular.

USA lol... Many Americans are not even aware of .us... so no, most of the Americans definitely are not aware or interested in new extensions.

Just ask your friends, neighbors, colleagues in Turkey to name all the extensions they are familiar with. They will quote .com, the ccTLD (.com.tr, .web.tr etc) and... ???
Do the test. You don't have to believe what anonymous people are saying on the Internet.
I prefer the reality test personally.

Do you say NewYork.tours have no built-in value? :xf.eek:O_o:bored::xf.laugh::ROFL:
Not aftermarket worthy imo.

problem with .tours is that in nearly 2 years only 6500 domains have been registered.
Thanks. Says a lot about demand/awareness. But hey we already have .travel and possibly other overlapping extensions...

•••
Which people ? Tell me which new extensions are popular in Turkey.
Just because you have seen one on a billboard once doesn't mean they are popular.

USA lol... Many Americans are not even aware of .us... so no, most of the Americans definitely are not aware or interested in new extensions.

Just ask your friends, neighbors, colleagues in Turkey to name all the extensions they are familiar with. They will quote .com, the ccTLD (.com.tr, .web.tr etc) and... ???
Do the test. You don't have to believe what anonymous people are saying on the Internet.
I prefer the reality test personally.

Not aftermarket worthy imo.

Thanks. Says a lot about demand/awareness. But hey we already have .travel and possibly other overlapping extensions...
You are so amazing..

No I know bunch of guys who are aware of everything online in today`s world.

Demand awareness? Guys how many tour options can you list?

This is not dot com this is NEW GENERIC TOP LEVEL DOMAIN.

Your thoughts about NewYork.Tours is enough for me to understand your position about marketing knowledge.

You don`t have to explain anymore thanks :)

@NigelD

Last edited:
•••
They started with "wait 3 years". When that passed it was "wait 5 years". After 5 years my guess it will be "wait 10 years". And so on...
Hello man, do you know that every year there are new gTLDs coming in business?

What 3 years 5 years you are talking about?

There are hundreds of them and more is coming.

And in this 3 years I don`t know how many new came out in the past 1 years.

Bram bram bram

•••
.gtlds being trivialised by .commie cartel because their 'valuable' .com domain is being marginalised by more streamlined, better looking, better sounding, more luxurious domain options where available

car.finance is simply better than carfinance.com

digital.marketing is simply better than digitalmarketing.com

While this is true in some cases, I think what we really need to say his here is that the ngTLD market is all about getting rid of domainers. There is no room for domainers in that marketplace.

The companies that own the new extensions bought them to become the domainers. They sell the domains like digital.marketing at end-user prices in order to eliminate the margins available to domainers, and make those margins themselves.

When you realise this simple fact then it's clear that we as domainers should only be investing in .COM. The role of the domainer is already taken when it comes to ngTLD.

As soon as somebody other than the registry makes a profit on an ngTLD domain they will increase the price of that name and make it a so-called 'premium'. It definitely can and IS happening already.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back