Domain Empire

new gtlds Everyone saying to not invest in gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steger13

Established Member
Impact
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have never invested in a gTLD but I am also not ignorant of the fact that a lot of investors have made some serious coin on them.

I'm not sure there's a lot making serious profit.

I remember this one thread started by somebody to hype their new gtld sales. This was the title of the thread:

Just Broke $25K of gTLD Domain Sales in less than 12 months

here are some of the first responses:

Congrats on your sales !

Nice sales.

Impressive sales, congrats!

until I pointed out - "$45,000 to make $25,000 is - $20,000."

Yes, sold $25,000, but spent $45,000

The thread starter hasn't been seen here in the last 3 months - https://www.namepros.com/threads/just-broke-25k-of-gtld-domain-sales-in-less-than-12-months.943015/

I'm just not aware of too many NP members really doing good with these.

Last edited:
•••
I've lost money on .com, .net, .org, english words, non-english words, acronyms, 2 words, 3 words, numbers+words, numbers, chinese crap, cctld's, ngtld's... I've lost money on everything, but the most money was lost on ngtld's.. and I've made money from everything above too, and the most money made, was from .com. I now understand why they call it the king.

•••
Invest in the good ones... leave the mediocre ones

The one word gTLD's have value, they have sold and domainers have made money.
That said, they will never be a .com, and 2 or 3 word gTLD's will probably never pay off unless you hit exactly the right ones.

JQXT.com will sell JQXT.biz or .internet will probably never sell

It's not black and white and anyone generalizing the industry needs to do a little bit more research before posting.

I have never invested in a gTLD but I am also not ignorant of the fact that a lot of investors have made some serious coin on them.

•••
A tip to remember: Not everyone on NP gives good advice. Some say buy new gTLD's because they might have bought some and now would like to unload them on you. Some say do not buy new gTLD's because they want to buy and they are cheaper with no competition.

My grandmother use to say: Take all advice with a grain of salt. Don't know what that means but sounded like good advice.

To know what sells, look at history of sales on Namebio. Try to spot the patterns of what sells for the gTLD that you might be interested in and also look at the average price of the sell. Than ask yourself, is it worth the hours you spend per day looking for one domain name to buy that might make you a $5 profit? If not, then look for gTLD's that are selling for higher dollars and therefore more profit.

•••
This:

I remember this one thread started by somebody to hype their new gtld sales. This was the title of the thread:

Congrats on your sales !

Nice sales.

I just returned from Domain Europe conference yesterday. At the conference a domainer, I wont name any names, went on stage to enthusiasticly talk about his gTLD portfolio and its success. To be fair he himself said he had a 5 year perspective on them, but I think he was being optimistic. Also some of his names he already owned for 2-3 years.

He told us he was averaging yearly sales of 12-15K USD per year. Really good huh. Or... Each year he paid renewals of 88K USD. A yearly loss of at least 65K USD. Luckily this guy had another business to fund his ventures. But to call it a success is a bit far fetched.

•••
So What is the best thing to do then? Seams that everyone has their own thoughts about this topic. Lot of confusions with this. :banghead:

So, it appears now that not "everyone on the internet says to not invest in ngtlds"? :)

Now when you escaped from the matrix, it is time for research.

Check Namepros threads, namebio.com, sold.domains, dnjournal.com for reported ngtld sales. Become a member of ngtld forum - you can easily find the link - and read it in a whole.

Carefully analyze reported sales and try to register few similar names. If you have no large enough cashflow, don't register very expensive premium domains. Nowadays most of ngtlds are available, for the first year, at the registration cost of .com or less , and there are many nice names still unregistered.

You need clear business plan. Don't rely on possible ngtld sales to pay off renewals, until you finally realize what names will sell.

Take any advise with grain of salt. Follow the numbers. Get ngtld zone files and check what extensions got many end user registrations, what extensions got many developed websites already.

Follow all famous domain forums/blogs/media regarding ngtlds. Try to focus on not what people think of ngtlds but rather on facts they report. Sometimes going through lengthy discussions you will find only a small bit of useful info - but that info can help a lot.

In other words, do what all domainers must do if they want their domain business to be profitable in any niche: thorough research. Replace "ngtld" with "gtld" or "cctld" to be profitable with them.

•••
@Rhythm8 You do realise that ngTLDs are designed specifically so domainers can't make money? Premium domain pricing means the registries can price any domain however they want.

In theory if you bought an exceptional domain for $1000/yr and put it up for sale for $5000, there's a chance it's going to cost you $5000 to renew it next year.

The new registries are run by speculators who are deliberately and methodically taking the margins away from domainers. It's a rigged game.

•••
I think the discussion is meaningless, we are domainers, we are here to study domaining and to make money from domains, not to promote .com or any other tlds.

As a domainer since 2005, I do not care about tlds, .com, .net, .mobi, ngtlds....not an issue for me. If I can sell any tld, or can make money from any tlds, I invest there.

- registered some .com names from 2005 and kept for 10 years and dropped most names, lost money.

- registered .mobi names and sold for big profit, I got money, but my buyers lost money!

- registered .xyz names for $1-2/each, sold for huge profit $$$$$$ (I don't prefer to use xyz for any of my sites, but there are other people who like xyz names, eg. Chinese. If my thinking was like..., "I don't like xyz and I will not register any xyz",... some smart domainers should have registered those names and made money by selling to Chinese

- registered 1000s of 5L.com, 4L.biz, 4L.org, some cctlds ....lost big money

Most of us should agree. com is the best, no doubt. There is only 1 name under .com for a word and can be owned by a single company. But there are 1000s of other companies in the world with the same business. example, usedcars...com/net/.co.uk/.net...etc already taken and not possible to buy for cheap.
So, other companies have to move to other tlds. If the company is in India, .in is the best, if the company is in Canada, .ca is best for them. If it is an International company, they should use .com or used.cars or generic tlds like xyz/biz/mobi...For me, matching gtld, used.cars is 1st, .com is second!

for a city portal, I prefer... london.com / london.co.uk / london.city...not london.xyz or london.land...
for tourism portal, I prefer london.tours, not london.kitchen or london.org..
for property portal, I prefer london.property/ londonproperty.com(not possible to buy), not london.com or london.life

I purchased kerala dot property to develop as a portal for my state Kerala.
I tried to buy keralaproperty com but not for sale / asked big money. What I have to do, to start my portal?
I owned and developed .net, but nobody interested to visit the site, I closed the site recently.

If I start a tourism company in my state, Kerala, I prefer to use Kerala dot tours than kerala dot com. kerala/keralatours dot com already with some companies and not possible to get the names. So, what I have to do? Can anyone suggest a good domain name for my business? Is there any other name better than kerala dot tours? Also should note, more companies in the same field looking for similar domain names. Are there any domain names to suggest for their business?

The same happened to Google also. They started Alphabet and could not purchase abc dot com, so they selected dot xyz. Can anyone suggest suitable names for Alphabet than abc dot xyz???

Some .com promoters here always tried to downgrade gtlds. I agree, they were visionaries on their period and they made/making money with .com names. But now they are not ready to change with new generation. There are only <5000 good domain names under each ngtlds. They could not register any names from the list and they blame for others for losing their money. If they have good names, like used.cars, beach.property, cheap.flights, meat.shop, london.news, nyc.live...it is easy to sell...but unfortunately ngltd haters do not own any quality names.

Also I can't buy any good .com names for usd 1000 and also there is no guarantee to make money from the purchase. Nowadays, lot of people sell their .com names for big loss.

As per namebio report on 22nd May,

- The domain AnimalCompanion.com sold for $181 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 92%.
It last sold for $2,288 on March 11th, 2008 at Afternic.
- The domain GolfCoursesGuide.com sold for $3,001 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $62,000 on January 16th, 2011 at Sedo.
- The domain GodCard.com sold for $170 at NameJet for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $3,700 on January 6th, 2013 at Afternic.

What do you think? I request advise from .com people regarding the sale of these .com names.

•••
So that they can buy it cheaply from you.:rolleyes:

•••
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?

most domains that are registered today don't have any value.

there are far too many of them that is why. valuable names need scarcity.

with LLL you have 17500 combos in one extension and 17 million in 1000 extensions.

on average these can never be valuable, on average investors are losing money with these.

•••
it took .com decades
Wrong. .com has been around since 1985, years before the WWW.
With the WWW domain names became valuable. .com quickly became the gold standard and it didn't take a decade for .com to mature.
The value of good .com has continued to increase over time but it didn't take decades to see strong aftermarket sales.
New extensions don't need time to mature because the landscape is set (unlike 1993), the Internet is now mature, and there are plenty of potential end users. Only problem, consumers shun them.

When .com is dying, then nTLDs will be long dead, or stillborn :)

•••
Invest in the good ones... leave the mediocre ones

The one word gTLD's have value, they have sold and domainers have made money.
That said, they will never be a .com, and 2 or 3 word gTLD's will probably never pay off unless you hit exactly the right ones.

JQXT.com will sell JQXT.biz or .internet will probably never sell

It's not black and white and anyone generalizing the industry needs to do a little bit more research before posting.

Yes, yes i see..its not black and white you are wright. Nothing is set in stone in this biz anything can be something for someone. Interesting but sometime confusing lol.
Thanks for reply Mapledots.

•••

Congrats on your sales !

Nice sales.

Hasn't been seen here in the last 3 months - https://www.namepros.com/threads/just-broke-25k-of-gtld-domain-sales-in-less-than-12-months.943015/

yeah that guy who sold work.place for $50k to FaceBook was also still in the red!

•••
I believe that it is still possible to find deleted .coms with some value - maybe $xx or low $xxx. If you can host them, and use a CMS to push a bit of advertising to make at least $1 a week, you can build a self-financing portfolio. If you can hang on, then maybe a few will sell for $x,xxx. In the meantime you can have fun hunting out the names, and it should pay more than doing crosswords. :)

•••
problem is a number of these ngtlds look like they are going to fail - and a lot of them are likely to charge exorbitant renewal fees - so you're taking a chance spending a lot of time and money on an ngtld project. Most of the ngtld registrations are speculative - domainers jumping from one promotion to another - and it looks like it is already running out of steam - numbers are already falling substantially and you've got the xyz 1 cent cliff face looming. Here's the ntldstats screenshot for the last month:

upload_2017-5-17_17-14-23.png

•••
All this .com vs gtld's story remind me the fall of the roman empire...
And now you have Italia, a country surrounded by other countries.

•••
if it only was so easy
history never repeats itself

"BE FEARFUL WHEN OTHERS ARE GREEDY, AND BE GREEDY WHEN OTHERS ARE FEARFUL"
-Warren Buffet

•••

Congrats on your sales !

Nice sales.

The thread starter hasn't been seen here in the last 3 months - https://www.namepros.com/threads/just-broke-25k-of-gtld-domain-sales-in-less-than-12-months.943015/

HeHe, you are so right

Goes right back to what I said in my first post....
"Invest in the good ones... leave the mediocre ones"

Trick is to find marketable domains without blindly registering thousands of domains.
Even a monkey can register thousands of domains and come up with a few sales. Register a few domains and come up with the sales.... that is the art of the sale.

•••
it's only been a few years..

it took .com decades

.com already slowing down

and if you are as fond of statistics as you seem to be you should probably ignore outliers and stop fondling your insignificant statistic
Do you understand how supply and demand works?

If usedcars.com went into auction, everyone on this forum would get in on it and the price would shoot up accordingly, probably to 6 figures.

If usedcars.live went to auction, maybe 4 people on earth, all being nTLD speculators, would bid on it. Then the winner would post it in the nTLD showcase forum and they'd all say "great buy! Hold for 5-10 until the value hits $xx,xxx!". A year later, it would fall to an expiring auction.

If used.cars, one of the few nTLD domains that is great and makes sense went to auction...oh wait, it's reserved by the registry. So, if there was a big money buyer, the registry would get the sale, and one of you speculators would post the sale on namepros claiming how great it is for new extensions, meanwhile none of you even had access to that caliber name in the first place.

The reason .com does so well in the aftermarket, outside of it being the obvious staple of the internet, is because all .coms were available at the same price since the beginning of the internet, and buyers are able to dictate the value.

•••
•••

Congrats on your sales !

Nice sales.

More important is the question for renewals, as not recouping all your investment in year 1 is normal for domains... 1500 names at about $20 average renewal will put him in red...

•••
Thanks to all that contributed!

•••
there maybe money to be made, but keep in mind you are competing against all the other 1,000's of new extensions when investing in the new gtld's. where with .com you are competing against other .com's for the most part.

its a numbers game and it could get very expensive until you luck out and get a sale.

Last edited:
•••
This:

I just returned from Domain Europe conference yesterday. At the conference a domainer, I wont name any names, went on stage to enthusiasticly talk about his gTLD portfolio and its success. To be fair he himself said he had a 5 year perspective on them, but I think he was being optimistic. Also some of his names he already owned for 2-3 years.

He told us he was averaging yearly sales of 12-15K USD per year. Really good huh. Or... Each year he paid renewals of 88K USD. A yearly loss of at least 65K USD. Luckily this guy had another business to fund his ventures. But to call it a success is a bit far fetched.

to say these are frightening stats is an understatement. run people, run.

for 70k a year you could still build yourself a beautiful .com portfolio with much less risk.

everyone says 5 years. we are already in year 4 and nothing has happened!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back