Dynadot

new gtlds Everyone saying to not invest in gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steger13

Established Member
Impact
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All his own figures he made public on stage. Check with anyone that was there.

12-15K income per year.
88K average renewals per year.
At least 65K losses.

I think he was very enthusiastic because he had his own test in which he "won" over.com. Based on a waitress named Carol (named altered to protect his identity). He called it the Carol test. He and some friends were at a restaurant and their waitress was named Carol. So they asked would you prefer Carol.com or Carol.world (which he owned). The waitress preferred Carol world, which apparently gave him the impression that the corporate world felt the same when presented with the option between a .com and a nGTLD.

So he won the Carol test. But lost 65K yearly..

I think if you ask any girls and ask that questions with their name, they would all say .world, because carol.world means like qeen of the world lol. You understand what i mean?

•••
All his own figures he made public on stage. Check with anyone that was there.

12-15K income per year.
88K average renewals per year.
At least 65K losses.

I think he was very enthusiastic because he had his own test in which he "won" over.com. Based on a waitress named Jenny. He called it the Jenny test. He and some friends were at a restaurant and their waitress was named Jenny. So they asked would you prefer Jenny.com or Jenny.world (which he owned). The waitress preferred Jenny world, which apparently gave him the impression that the corporate world felt the same when presented with the option between a .com and a nGTLD.

So he won the Jenny test. But lost 65K yearly..

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Unbelievable!

Very interesting.

First time hearing something like this.

Interesting guy.

I really wonder what domains he got in his portfolio with such renewals.

Would you PM me his name please?

Thanks for sharing.

•••

Unbelievable!

Very interesting.

Interesting guy.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm betting most are having the same results, maybe not that bad. I gave an example earlier, so not the first time you've heard of it - https://www.namepros.com/threads/just-broke-25k-of-gtld-domain-sales-in-less-than-12-months.943015/

Spent $45,000, made $20,000. That's not including the renewals on 1,500 domains. So add that in to the loss.

Instead of Carol test and such, use this very basic one, profit - "a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something."

Lot of people losing money hoping somehow this turns around in 3, 4, 5 years, those years seem to keep extending for some. We're in year 4 already, and reg numbers are dropping. Sales? The sales from NP thread, still dead. Some random one will pop up every and now then.

Last edited:
•••
A good domain is a good domain no matter what the extension is.

disagree. The extension is vital when it comes to value. you can have the best keyword in the world but with the wrong extension it will be worthless. Out of thousands of extensions only some are investment-grade.

example:

hotel.com - hotel.net - hotel.nl - hotel.co.ck

The first is obviously valuable and the second would be considered a great domain too and the third too.

There are major differences in value between these though. The last one has a great keyword too but it is simply worthless.

Another example: hotel.com vs. hotel.co - Major difference.

Hotel.org and hotel.net are great domains but the prices that end-users are willing to pay for these are far more limited so the market for other extensions is simply not the same.

sure other extensions can sell too but prices will be much lower, even for decent ones.

the statement is true if you don't care what market value a domain has.

there are many artists that will never sell for much with perhaps even better art than really expensive artwork but there is no market for them.

•••
I'm betting most are having the same results, maybe not that bad. I gave an example earlier, so not the first time you've heard of it - https://www.namepros.com/threads/just-broke-25k-of-gtld-domain-sales-in-less-than-12-months.943015/

Spent $45,000, made $20,000. That's not including the renewals on 1,500 domains. So add that in to the loss.

Instead of Carol test and such, use this very basic one, profit - "a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something."

Lot of people losing money hoping somehow this turns around in 3, 4, 5 years, those years seem to keep extending for some. We're in year 4 already, and reg numbers are dropping. Sales? The sales from NP thread, still dead. Some random one will pop up every and now then.
It is the first time.
The time when you shared a comment on that thread, I wasn`t a namePros member.
You know what you got a point, but you can`t point it only for new gTLDs and exclude dot Coms.
Same applies for dot com.
I bet you have 10+ years old domains that you haven`t sold yet. But does it means you will never sell them?
No.
And you invest only dot Com
Right?

•••

Unbelievable!

Very interesting.

Interesting guy.

Thanks for sharing.

I guess I can do that since he himself choose to stand up and make that information public. I will PM you his name, but if you are interested his appearance was named "3 years investing in new gTLD’s and a 5-years plan. How is it going?" and was on at day three at 12.00-12.30..

•••
disagree. The extension is vital when it comes to value. you can have the best keyword in the world but with the wrong extension it will be worthless. Out of thousands of extensions only some are investment-grade.

example:

hotel.com - hotel.net - hotel.nl - hotel.co.ck

The first is obviously valuable and the second would be considered a great domain too and the third too.

There are major differences in value between these though. The last one has a great keyword too but it is simply worthless.

Another example: hotel.com vs. hotel.co - Major difference.

Hotel.org and hotel.net are great domains but the prices that end-users are willing to pay for these are far more limited so the market for other extensions is simply not the same.

sure other extensions can sell too but prices will be much lower, even for decent ones.

the statement is true if you don't care what market value a domain has.

there are many artists that will never sell for much with perhaps even better art than really expensive artwork but there is no market for them.
can`t see any new gTLD examples there.
hotels.whatever new gTLD vs hotel.com
Simple question right?
That`s not I mean.
In my opinion NewYork.Tours is a great domain yet NewYork.xyz is just stupid..

•••
It is the first time.
The time when you shared a comment on that thread, I wasn`t a namePros member.
You know what you got a point, but you can`t point it only for new gTLDs and exclude dot Coms.
Same applies for dot com.
I bet you have 10+ years old domains that you haven`t sold yet. But does it means you will never sell them?
No.
And you invest only dot Com
Right?

I pointed it out earlier in this thread, Tuesday. You were a member.

Yes, only .com nowadays, others in the past. And........profit. People make this more complicated than it needs to be. You're either making money or losing money. If you're losing money, maybe it's time to adjust, look at what you're doing. I understand some are thinking we're at the beginning of new gtlds, things will get better. But what you can point to where that's happening? I can point to things where it's going in the opposite direction. We just had 2 examples. 1 person on stage. 1 person here starting a thread. Both thinking they were sharing good news, both losing all kinds of money. Where's the common sense at?

Last edited:
•••
I pointed it out earlier in this thread, Tuesday. You were a member.

Yes, only .com nowadays, others in the past. And........profit. People make this more complicated than it needs to be. You're either making money or losing money. If you're losing money, maybe it's time to adjust, look at what you're doing. I understand some are thinking we're at the beginning of new gtlds, things will get better. But what you can point to where that's happening? I can point to things where it's going in the opposite direction. We just had 2 examples. 1 person on stage. 1 person here starting a thread. Both thinking they were sharing good news, both losing all kinds of money. Where's the common sense at?
I was at Dubai for a business trip maybe miss that one.
But for the following thread you shared (https://www.namepros.com/threads/just-broke-25k-of-gtld-domain-sales-in-less-than-12-months.943015/) I wasn`t member at that time.

I see your point but let me ask you this:

What do you think of NewYork.Tours ?

Do you find this as a good domain or not?

Does it have a potential?

Last edited:
•••
I was at Dubai for a business trip maybe miss that one.
But for the following thread you shared (https://www.namepros.com/threads/just-broke-25k-of-gtld-domain-sales-in-less-than-12-months.943015/) I wasn`t member at that time.

I see your point but let me ask you this:

What do you think of NewYork.Tours ?

Do you find this as a good domain or not?

Does it have a potential?

I've always said if you invest in them, make sure they're in the right order, make sense etc. These are the ones registries typically hold back nowadays. That one makes sense. There just have been many reported .tours sales. Geo tours, just 3 reported, highest $495. It's good if you can sell it and make a profit. It's been around almost 2 years, about 6,500 regs. Looks like a dud.

Plus look at - https://namebio.com/?s==MDOzEzMzITM

I'm seeing city tours .coms in the hundreds.

Last edited:
•••
I've always said if you invest in them, make sure they're in the right order, make sense etc. These are the ones registries typically hold back nowadays. That one makes sense. There just have been many reported .tours sales. Geo tours, just 3 reported, highest $495. It's good if you can sell it and make a profit. It's been around almost 2 years, about 6,500 regs. Looks like a dud.

How many options can you have for a Tour?

That`s just pure exclusivity.

And a beautiful domain. - NewYork.Tours

Good domain is a good domain no matter what the extension is.

So we agree?

•••

So we agree?

No. A domain is keyword plus extension. I wouldn't build on an extension the general public doesn't know, can easily be confused about. Makes no sense. However, again, if you can sell it for more than you paid, great. If you can sell NewYork.Tours for more than you paid, that's the goal.

Last edited:
•••

So we agree?

for me a good domain is a domain that can sell for more than what i paid for it.

how many tour operators know of .tour and how many are willing to build on it and how many are willing to pay premium prices for it?

you can be the most talented artist in the world but if no one knows about your artwork and there is no market for it you will still be broke.

•••
No. A domain is keyword plus extension.

You just contradict yourself.

Question was simple.

How do you like NewYork.Tours?

I see that you like it, you might even want to have it.

but when I say this: Good domain is a good domain no matter what the extension is.

You don`t agree.

Why?

Hey! it is not a dot Com.

•••
for me a good domain is a domain that can sell for more than what i paid for it.

how many tour operators know of .tour and how many are willing to build on it and how many are willing to pay premium prices for it?

you can be the most talented artist in the world but if no one knows about your artwork and there is no market for it you will still be broke.
Sorry mate you are wrong.

Where do you make your holiday plan?

On web, where do you search? On web. Where do you book? On web.

You are asking the wrong questions Man.

•••
Sorry mate you are wrong.

Where do you make your holiday plan?

On web, where do you search? On web. Where do you book? On web.

You are asking the wrong questions Man.

what are you talking about? Sure you book on the web but that doesn't mean that booking.im has the same value as booking.com - the former has hardly a market and limited usage/popularity. both are "on the web"

Last edited:
•••
You just contradict yourself.

Question was simple.

How do you like NewYork.Tours?

I see that you like it, you might even want to have it.

but when I say this: Good domain is a good domain no matter what the extension is.

You don`t agree.

Why?

Hey! it is not a dot Com.

I didn't contradict myself. How do I like it as what, be more specific.

If you can make money with anything, good.

I don't like any new gtlds for businesses, I would never build on one.

•••
what are you talking about? Sure you book on the web but that doesn't mean that booking.im has the same value as booking.com - the forner has hardly a market and limited usage/popularity. both are "on the web"
OMG look at the example I gave above and here what are you talking about?
.IM? seriously? is it a new gTLD? or something else?
oh boyy

•••
I didn't contradict myself. How do I like it as what, be more specific.

If you can make money with anything, good.

I don't like any new gtlds for businesses, I would never build on one.
Oh that`s fine now, I thought you liked NewYork.Tours

Apparently, I get you wrong.

You don`t like NewYork.Tours

Okay.

:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••

Okay.

I just said it makes sense, in the right order and if you own it and can sell it for a profit, great. Don't know how much it cost, renewals etc. I don't like it myself because it's a new gltd, with low sales, low reg numbers etc. Basically not much of a market. And I'm always going to feel endusers/businesses should go with what their customers know. That's .com or their cctld.

Last edited:
•••

Okay.

if you want to make money newyorktours.com is the investment to make. If you want to put a pretty picture in your living room with newyork.tours on it than it might be a good choice.

•••
if you want to make money newyorktours.com is the investment to make. If you want to put a pretty picture in your living room with newyork.tours on it than it might be a good choice.

NewYork.Tours worthless for you?

Do you really mean that?

•••
in-a-world-full-of-sheep-and-wolves-be-a-1417811.png

Last edited:
•••
NewYork.Tours worthless for you?

Do you really mean that?

worthless in terms of 0 value not sure.

depends on the price.If it costs 10$ and 10$ renewals it could have some value.

if it is premium and premium renewal it is possibly not even worthless but a liability..worse than worthless.

Personally I see this like newyorktours.cc, maybe you can make a profit with it but generally I would think time and money could be better spent so I don't like this domain that much.

Last edited:
•••
worthless in terms of 0 value not sure.

depends on the price.If it costs 10$ and 10$ renewals it could have some value.

if it is premium and premium renewal it is possibly not even worthless but a liability..worse than worthless.

Personally I see this like newyorktours.cc, maybe you can make a profit with it but generally I would think time and money could be better spent so I don't like this domain that much.
In this perspective,
Isn`t all the portfolio you are holding also a liability in terms of no sales yet?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back