IT.COM

Epik vs NameSilo?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domaniak

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Anyone here using NameSilo and Epik? How does Epik compare to NameSilo? Interested in hearing from those with hands-on experience regarding pros and especially cons with consideration for the following:

- I don't want domain privacy

- not interested in their "marketplaces"

- not interested in registrar's DNS management / domain parking

- not interested in ccTLD's and new gTLD's offerings

- interested in admin panel convenient for managing domains in the thousands

- interested in robust multiple sub-accounts / user management

- interested in reselling

- interested in convenient domain "push" process between accounts

So far leaning towards Epik because of their competitive, fixed standard .COM pricing (for NP members), proactive "can do" support and domaining-centric environment and suite of additional services

*** Note: NOT INTERESTED in any other registrars - already have accounts with and tried most of them out and formed an opinion ***

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
@caffeinejolt - who have you found who satisfies your requirements?

PS - when you are logged in with epik, and go to domain name prices, the chart reveals your account-specific pricing

•••
Currently most of my portfolio is at namesilo. That's not to say I am anti-epik - I have an account there too and am familiar with their offerings - you can certainly do a lot worse than epik when choosing a registrar. I just really value transparency/integrity/speed/etc. when it comes to where I keep most of my portfolio.

•••
You might want to consider separating transaction fees from your domain pricing. Specifically, keep the price unchanged irrespective of client's mode of payment and add respective fees, depending on payment method selected at checkout. Same thing when registering one domain or adding funds to the account. FYI, this is what some of your competitors have been doing for years.

Yup, it is coming but the engineering team is heads-down finishing and launching the mobile application so we decided against injecting an unscheduled development cycle to fix an issue which impacts a fairly exclusive list of customers who are being impacted by this issue. Retail customers were not impacted. It is the growing list of at-cost clients where we needed to stop the bleeding as folks with thousands of domains were routinely paying with PayPal. That was not the intended use for this at-cost program.

•••
@robepik - since direct CC transactions are not subject to PP fees do you plan to include these as well ?
I don't use BTC & I'm European so wire / Chase or Wells Fargo is out of the question.

•••
its about transfers IN

What kind of lock are you specifically referring to? If the domain has been registered in the last 60 days, then, per ICANN and registry rules, the domain cannot be transferred to a different registrar. If the domain was previously transferred within the last 60 days, the losing registrar can decide whether or not to reject an outgoing transfer request. This is the same for Change of Registrant 60 day locks - the losing registrar determines whether or not to reject the request, not the gaining registrar. Feel free to email us at [email protected] if we can address a specific transfer further.

•••
•••
I just opened an account on Epik, and it seems very good, i like the Domain Name Leasing & Renting...mmmmm..

@robepik

what about domain sales page ?

and withdraw the money to my bank account ?

Folks can currently withdraw to PayPal, BTC or eCheck. Wires are possible but require an additional fee.

As for leasing, I believe we are #1 there.

As for domain sales pages, they are free. Some info here:

https://www.epik.com/support/knowledgebase/selling-and-leasing-domains-on-epik/

https://www.epik.com/support/knowledgebase/enable-a-coming-soon-or-domain-parking-page/

•••
@namesilo

Any plans to add whois lookup/ip logs? epik has this feature.

It's quite useful. Thanks

•••
At some point I lost myself, i mean, a lot of information from everywhere, but, there was a detail that among all the registrars that made the difference to me, you can talk to a person for any emergency...I mean, I know we are all people here... but.. for me

this is personal care.

Show attachment 132053
.Even epik chat is personal for me (what i feel). I want personal involvement,

It's like, - Hey bro.. I give you my domains in your hands.

And from the other side.. - I will do everything I can to help you. ( this sentence is a proven fact for me with Epik and Rob. )

So I start moving all my domains progressively today...

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

If you look at their win/loss analysis, they seem to have noticed that Epik is their biggest leak:

https://www.namesilo.com/transfer_compare.php

I expect that number to go up a lot and then perhaps the report goes away. However, the good news for them is that Godaddy is hemorrhaging domains and so there is plenty of opportunity to grow.

That said, I think the NameSilo guys have a challenge ahead. They have a price-centric approach which starves innovation. On top of that, they are massively levered. See here:

https://www.sedar.com/DisplayCompanyDocuments.do?lang=EN&issuerNo=00009489

I think their best chance is to be acquired by Godaddy. I think they know that. I would be fine with that outcome.

•••
Why do we have a thread Epik vs NameSilo? I like them both. They both have great prices, nice tools for domainers, different but great landers, marketplaces with fair commissions, offer a good array of different TLDs, and treat customers fairly and are responsive. Yes, in each of those you can argue for one being stronger right now. But why do we have this vs this threads?

I don't see the world as an us and them. But maybe I am out of touch.... when I listen to the news the world seems to not think like me.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
NS stopped catering to domainers the second they got bought out. They have had one spectacular registering sale price since that time (a few months back). No transfer sales, slower replies to tickets, no great BlackFriday offerings. Even Namecheap has its annual very cheap transfer sale. Dynadot is way more competitive than NS in frequent sales especially registrations.

•••
where can I find that kind of information about epik?

We are private. That said, we are capital efficient, majority controlled by management, and have de minimis outside debt. Our 2018 tax return showed that we are profitable despite heavy investment in development.

•••
Where one can see what this price is for NP members and how can we use it?

I tried a quick registering on Epik and didn't notice any 'coupon' slot (at least up to the point where I added the name to the cart).

thanks in advance

•••
@RL I have just opened an account with EPIK by clicking on the link in your signature but it shows me a price of 10$ for new .com

•••
•••
@RL I have just opened an account with EPIK by clicking on the link in your signature but it shows me a price of 10$ for new .com

Just sent you a PM so we can get your account upgraded for you.

RL

•••
•••
@robepik @RL

"For smaller transactions, e.g. under $2500, most folks will simply use our domain marketplace. In this case, the domain is on Epik registrar. The buyer is able to then purchase (or lease) the domain from our marketplace at which time (1) the domain instantly moves to the buyer's Epik account, and (2) the proceed from the sale are instantly deposited to the seller's Masterbucks account. Once funds are deposited, these funds are instantly available for use from within the Epik account without fee."

Could you please tell me if I can withdraw the above funds with PayPal?

Yes, it is no problem. There is a 5% commission in this case.

•••
I'm glad I ran across this thread. I'm thinking of consolidating my domains later on this year. I am a fan of NameSilo. Have not tried epik, but I may.
Thanks, everyone, for posting.
Quick question... Are either companies offering fast with Afternic or have plans to? I seem to sell a bunch on Afternic and would love the fast transfer.

Don't know for Epik, but NameSilo is part of Afternic Premium Network.

•••
woooops! Sorry about that and great to know btw.
So maybe it was that payments for marketplace purchases have a quite low cc limit and PP is not allowed?...then if I am wrong again please link me to the page so I get back to study! :oops:

Nope - we accept several forms of payment for Marketplace orders (credit/debit card, PayPal, Bitcoin, AliPay, Skrill, Dwolla and wire). We have a maximum of $5,000 before a wire is required, but for all other purchases, and of the aforementioned methods of payment are permitted :)

This page has more details:
https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Marketplace

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back