Dynadot

GoDaddy or Uniregistry or ???

NameSilo
Watch

Who is a better registrar?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Godaddy

votes
    38.3%
  • Uniregistry

votes
    29.8%
  • Other

votes
    31.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

What is today's best domain registrar for registering? For keeping your portfolio, etc? I am getting pretty tired of Godaddy and their gimmicky offers / promotions and overall terrible customer service. Am I stuck with them or are there better options? Please note, I am in the US, so would prefer my registrar to be here as well. Would love to hear pro's and con's.

Thank you in advanced for your help / suggestions.
Mike C.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since Godaddy is #1, odds are you have a better chance of getting a godaddy customer on a sale for an easy push.

They do have an advantage if you use them for premium listings or what not, as they do get many first time, or end user queries on their search bar, that can pull up your BIN domains.

•••
NameSilo is currently the best registrar out there both in terms of pricing and customer service ... imo

•••
Many end users, and domain investors for that matter, have accounts at GoDaddy so a "push" is fast and reliable...That is a huge benefit because dealing with transfers from different registrars can be problematic at times.....On the flip side, I believe UniRegistry is doing lots of great things on the innovation side.

•••
One major thing that Uniregistry has for free is private whois, along with fairly good customer service.. but in general, I would still go with Godaddy.. until a major differentiating factor comes along.

•••
Epik and NameSilo. Both have great features and support.

Last edited:
•••
•••
For me is Uniregistry, Name.com, Godaddy.

I like uniregistry and name.com domain management panel more than godaddy's.

•••
So my fiancee backordered a domain in April 2016 with them. She got her refund last month (October 2016)...only in bearglecoins. They even gave an extra $12 in bearglecoins, each bearglecoin = $1 of credit with their site. Problem is... in the fine print it says you have 60 days to spend it before it expires! (Can't be used for backorders, renewals, etc...)

How ridiculous is that... domains renew every year, the odds someone would even notice this coming in is low and its hard to spend all that money as well, not to mention they have a $5 minimum that you have to spend for it to work. To me this is a scam and highway robbery.

We don't even have a use for the ( about $50) of beargle coins, we were not planning on spending $50 on domains name this month...

I uploaded a link below of some images from their contract to show the fine print in their agreement. Very shady...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/bearglecoin-name-com-scam.985603/

•••
I have to give Epik kudos for having a proper domain leasing/payment platform built into their control panel.

They have had this going back many years now, Godaddy, and Uniregistry really need to integrate something like this. Giving people the ability to break their domains into payments, and having it managed under one roof, and auto transfer on completion of contract to the buyers account would really help many domainers.

•••
For straight up registering domains names and customer care, I like Godaddy. But they have not improved their system for domain management. They don't cater well to domainers. Maybe Uniregistry is better for this.

•••
Its good idea to keep your portfolio shared among GoDaddy and Uniregistry.

At GoDaddy , Donuts would offer promotional 1st year registration for their extensions(not anywhere else..sometimes at Name.com). There appears to be some conflict between Uniregistry and Donuts, so donuts promo never occurs in Uniregistry.

Name.com is a good alternative.

•••
If you're in the discount domain club at godaddy their prices are hard to beat. Also a big plus for GD is the people working there .. I usually have good interactions with their staff .. very friendly and they understand you.

However .. I find there are several technical issues with GD .. and their system is pretty awkward to use. I've had a few other frustrating problems with them as well .. but at the end of the day I'm still with them ... if I was starting from scratch and didn't have a multi-hundred domain portfolio where the discount domain club saves me a fair amount of $$, then I'd probably go check out uniregistry .. I've heard a lot of good things about them as well as very much appreciated Frank Schilling's participation in Domain Sherpa podcasts. Based on a lot of what he's said there over the last year, you can easily tell he wants Uniregistry to be as useful as possible to domainers!

•••
•••
Uniregistry is best one ! Vote for Uniregistry . Thanks

•••
Godaddy also needs to improve some of their bulk tools in regards to ON/OFF LOCK, and PRIVACY.

Say you have 1000 domains at Godaddy, and 8 are not locked you cannot SELECT ALL, and turn LOCK ON, you have to find the 8 and check them.

Same with PRIVACY, if you want to remove privacy on say 20 domains, it is a 4 click process that has to be done one by one.

Simple coding fixes.

With the help of @Ted.T we were able to convince Godaddy to change the wording on Change of Registrant Pending with their push emails earlier this year. After the push was complete their emails would state Change of Registrant Initiated, which was incorrect. Something that was so obvious had to be spelled out step by step to fix.

So hopefully a few more baby steps will help fix some of the kinks.

I think they really need to do a focus group with domainers who really use the platform, and the functions of it, to get all these kinks out, going into 2017 there should be no reason for this.

It is in their best interest, they will ultimately make more money at the end of the day. Win Win for all.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think 3 guys are same same Godaddy/Namecheap/Name.

•••
Like with banks, all the major accredited domain registrars are rather inflexible and, well, arrogant. I have no favorites. Simply go with the best pricing of the moment. There are a couple registrars I avoid, like the infamous 1&1, all others are, well, tolerable.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Vote for Godaddy.

I use different registrars, of late using fasthosts.co.uk for my hand regs because of the £1 offer.
Bought several names from Godaddy auction and closeouts

•••
Vote for Uniregistry.

New registrar, nice design, fast transfering. And every day new offers for gtld!

•••
Both have their benefits. Using just one will definitely cost more in reg fees over time.

Merry Christmas!

•••
Namesilo : great prices, great features, free privacy and much more.
Name : very very good and easy interface
Uniregistry : good if you have personalized prices but support is not good
GoDaddy : I have been with them for years but things have gone worse and worse and it's frankly quite hard to find reasons to keep names there.

I have sold to end users and they are used to open accounts to the designated registrar; they have to even when they buy via Sedo etc

•••
didn't have a multi-hundred domain portfolio where the discount domain club saves me a fair amount of $$, then I'd probably go check out uniregistry

You should still consider it...you will save a lot and without having to pay to save ( aka DDC )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back