IT.COM

Epik vs NameSilo?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domaniak

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Anyone here using NameSilo and Epik? How does Epik compare to NameSilo? Interested in hearing from those with hands-on experience regarding pros and especially cons with consideration for the following:

- I don't want domain privacy

- not interested in their "marketplaces"

- not interested in registrar's DNS management / domain parking

- not interested in ccTLD's and new gTLD's offerings

- interested in admin panel convenient for managing domains in the thousands

- interested in robust multiple sub-accounts / user management

- interested in reselling

- interested in convenient domain "push" process between accounts

So far leaning towards Epik because of their competitive, fixed standard .COM pricing (for NP members), proactive "can do" support and domaining-centric environment and suite of additional services

*** Note: NOT INTERESTED in any other registrars - already have accounts with and tried most of them out and formed an opinion ***

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like NameSilo to be honest.

•••
I'd read up on that special API option at NameSilo. Is is actually any good?

I use it with DesktopCatcher and yes, excellent. To max my chances I run 3-4 APIs at once and NS does a good job, plus I watch the drop lists and sometimes I run a whois after the drop and I'll see NS as registrar and guess it's another DC user. Plus they have low funding requirements so it's a no-brainer to test

•••
I guess I am the only one here with this problem - but having to ask for special discount pricing turns me off. I like to do business with people who are transparent about their offerings and pricing - that is not Epik for me. I want to be able to pull up their pricing page and just get the scoop so to speak. I am so done with trying to bargain with registrars over chat or waiting on coupon codes and transfer specials. Additionally, I think my customers could be turned off by seeing a $35 renewal fee.

Also, it seems like unsustainable pricing given wholesale pricing icannwiki.com/Verisign and merchant processing fees. Now that's not to say that Epik is a bad registrar - don't get me wrong - I just prefer businesses who treat all customers equally and make their best prices available to all and do so transparently - its shows integrity and that goes a long way for me.

Last edited:
•••
wow..5% for PayPal???
Do you use Payoneer?

Also what's the time frame for disbursement?
You can link me to the page if you prefer, thanks

By popular request, we'll add Payoneer payout support later this month. Currently the payout options are:

PayPal
Check via mail
ACH
Bitcoin
Wire - bank wire fee

Disbursement is usually within 24 hours. Verified accounts are paid out in minutes/hours.

•••
@Adam27 - Leasing on the attractive terms that we offer is really for two reasons:

(1) It is a differentiating feature versus all other registrars, in that we have integrated a product for secure leasing with attractive terms.

(2) It is a customer acquisition strategy in that when a domainer leases or sells a domain, we gain an end-user. In case not obvious, we make all of our margin on end-users.

•••
I have been using both..NameSilo for longer and so far my experience is the following.

NameSilo : the only cons are the old interface ( but totally functional and effective ) and the absence of PP disbursement / withdrawals for marketplace sales. I would like to see international transactions being as easy as US to US and the whois searches as well.

Epik : some cool functionalities like the rotating parking companies and the ability to see whois searches plus a very clean and well structured dashboard. Support -at least here on NP- outstanding.
Cons : very slow website and filters for domain marketplace are pretty much non existent.

Thanks for the feedback. We have a few new options coming out for Maketplace payment disbursement, but, just so you know, PayPal is already an option along with wire and account funds. We will be adding company check, ACH and bitcoin as well shortly.

•••
Thank you both @robepik & @namesilo for being so responsive to our questions.
What your registrars are and are becoming represent what our industry, and us as a consequence, need the most.
I think I have found the 2 companies I am going to stick with.

•••
@robepik & @namesilo

I love you both ;)

please offer opt out of 60 transfer block
as uniregistry does

I am into selling and reselling
and this is important

•••
I agree. You two are my favorite, tbh.

•••
Wow, I am not exactly an accountant, but the latest financial filing from NameSilo does not look good at all. Should us with domains there be worried?

I would not be too worried. I think they are executing a gutsy strategy but the downside is contained as long as the debt holders cooperate. If you are concerned, just watch the stock price. If it starts trading down on heavy volume, or you see insider selling, might be time to pivot. In the meantime, those cheap .COM registrations are there for the taking, so have at them. Just be clear on your plan for where you will hold the domains that you think are strategic or have stronger after-market potential. I would treat any first year hand-reg as a 1 year tasting cycle. You can register those anywhere.

Last edited:
•••
...My NameSilo account is a few years old, the Manager and overall site is not as up to date, but functions fine, I use their API which Epik does not offer, or I haven't found yet. It that what you want is API for custom reselling , or am I misunderstanding?
Yep, API would be a big plus :xf.love:

•••
Where one can see what this price is for NP members and how can we use it?

I tried a quick registering on Epik and didn't notice any 'coupon' slot (at least up to the point where I added the name to the cart).

thanks in advance
@RL (Roy from Epik)

•••
Where one can see what this price is for NP members and how can we use it?

I tried a quick registering on Epik and didn't notice any 'coupon' slot (at least up to the point where I added the name to the cart).

thanks in advance
For .com, it's only $8.10 to register, transfer or renew.

Just contact Epik support and ask for the Namepros special account pricing.

•••
@RL I'm all set for Domainers pricing, I registered then called and was set for me instantly. Plus they got back to me for some ccTLDs I asked about

@Domaniak - you still on the fence or wanna share any decision and what features solved it for you?

•••
EPIK all day. Plus, they now have their 60 days whois lockout optout in place

•••
Just waiting for their smartphone app and then EPIK will be perfect for me

•••
The only issue I ran into with Epik was that it didn't recognize some extensions that I have. I really like Epik though. I ended up going with another site to manage all my domains.

•••
I have been using Uniregistry for a while and I was happy until I needed some support..not good.
I will give Epik a try even though I have better prices with Uni
Better prices with Uniregistry than Epik's $8.10 for .COM regs / renewals / transfers? :xf.eek:

Back in September I'd received a special high volume offer from Uniregistry in the $8.70 range (renewals). Not too bad, but not really "special" from my perspective (having Platinum level reseller accounts with the likes of Enom, OnlineNIC, etc.)

This said, Uniregistry is one other registrar I'm in the process of moving a few domains to try out their toolkit :xf.wink:

•••
The problem with Platinum is they each want you to have all your eggs in one basket, which I am just not a fan of. Not that there would be another RegisterFly, but there could be! Somehow I have managed to sweet talk my way into higher tiers at enough places that when I get offered a "Special" deal, I usually have something better already with no strings. : grin :
My Platinum Reseller Accounts are grandfathered from an altogether different century - literally, late 1990's! - a time when fledgling registrars had been all but happy to take in anybody willing to give them a try vis a vis good ole NS (NetworkSolutions/VeriSign). These days, they are the NS's of the day and act akin to major "too big to fail" banks! :wtf:

And in fairness to @namesilo they are my top choice to refer lay people / non-domainers to, especially all my friends stuck at the mercy of overpaying GD and too afraid to move because they got roped into some long term deal. Plus I use their API for dropcatching so that's different from normal volume API access.
I'd read up on that special API option at NameSilo. Is is actually any good?

•••
•••
@RL , I don't have an Epik account. How can I have one with the Nampros price conditions? Thanks

•••
Hi everyone. Just wanted to jump in on this thread. We are certainly sensitive to the needs of domainers and have built many of our services and offerings around those needs, while also balancing the needs for our non-domainer customers. We constantly work to improve for both. We originally entered the market in 2010 as one of the first registrars to offer free WHOIS privacy and ultra-low pricing with no hidden fees, and we have stuck to that model with good success. Since that time, other registrars have entered the market and other existing registrars have changed their models for the better. While many still employ old tactics that they can continue to get away with (hidden fees, policies making things like transferring out difficult, etc.), we believe the industry has changed for the better in that there are now more alternatives offering good solutions.

Very low everyday pricing has been the hallmark of our company and we have been PM'd by a few people referencing this thread asking us to offer a lower rate. It is very important to us that we stick to what has worked for us through the years which is the ability to use our service and all of its free services, while charging the lowest rates possible to maintain a viable business. We aim to continue this approach and to possibly offer even lower prices, and we will make an announcement once we are able to do so.

We appreciate the feedback we have seen on this thread and others, and competition is a great thing in that it continues to force companies to evolve for the better, or risk becoming obsolete. As always, we are available for any questions, comments or suggestions and wish everyone on NP a very Happy New Year!
Whatever works for you and your existing clients and target niche :xf.smile:

•••
Thank you very much @namesilo for showing up. I believe it did not go unnoticed and is appreciated by many.
Could you please tell us if you are thinking about updating your site and interface ( not one of the most modern let's be honest ) and if the lower prices are something already set to happen or yet to be discussed.

•••
•••
How much does Epik Whois privacy cost for non-namepros members?

IMO for most purposes Namesilo is the best registrar out there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back