IT.COM

Dynadot Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all!

We’ve created this thread to make it easier to communicate with us here on Namepros, and we’ll also be posting regular updates on our offers and products. Please feel free to share any feedback and suggestions with us, or to let us know if there’s anything we can assist with.

We’d like to kick things off with an extension of our $7.99 .COM transfer sale, the code “COMTRANS4” has been extended until 23:59 PST on May 31, and there’s no limit on how many domains you can transfer using the code. Every month we have great prices on a wide selection of domains, and you can find a full list of our sales here:

https://www.dynadot.com/sales.html

We’re also excited to share that our CEO, Todd Han, will be hosting an AMA (Ask Me Anything) right here on Namepros in the near future, with more information on a date and time coming soon.

Dynadot is an ICANN accredited domain name registrar and web host headquartered in San Mateo, California. Founded in 2002 by a software engineer, our primary focus is engineering and design excellence. Our custom written, state-of-the-art domain and hosting software is stable, fast, and easy to use. From humble beginnings, we have grown steadily and now are home to over 2.6 million domains.

Our goal is to provide our customers with world class registration and hosting services for a reasonable price. Most of our site is fully automated, allowing us to offer some of the lowest prices in the industry. At the same time we strive to provide excellent customer service, and helpful responses to all questions. If anything is not to your satisfaction, feel free to contact us, and we will do our best to resolve the situation.

We individually respond to every email we receive - no cut and paste responses. Customer service is handled by highly trained customer service representatives that work closely with our software engineers, so you are likely to get an intelligent response to your question.

Contact information:
Live chat support: https://www.dynadot.com/chat/login_resp.html
Email support: [email protected]
North American phone support: +1.866-262-3399 (toll free) and +1.650-262-0100
Chinese phone support: 400 803 5591
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i blocked dynadot from Indonesia country . because if i withdraw have long time..
7 Days + 7 + 7 day.. its have 1 month from payout my sold domain..

sorry i blocked you from indonesia

Last edited:
•••
please consider this feedback. There are many more things that can be improved, but don't destroy a running process unless there is something in the background that we are not aware of.
Thank you for the feedback on this! We had decided to make the change as we had quite a few requests to change it to the username method to make the process operate more smoothly. However, I will certainly check with our team if we can make the Push go to the account Username OR Forum Name, whichever is preferable for that user.

•••
Just need clarification on this part:

Did you mean to say "Payooner added as a payout method"?
So we were initially planning on adding Payoneer both as a payment AND payout method, however that has since pushed back as we focused on adding other payment methods. However we are revisiting adding Payoneer this year!

•••
Assuming that Dynadot does want to save its marketplace, and remain competitive, the only way to do so is to start offering normal bank wire payouts in USD. Not payoneer. This will make your marketplace usable for non-US sellers. Also, adding crypto will help.
While we are still looking to add Payoneer as a Payout option as we've had a good amount of requests for it, we're also currently looking to adding Bank Wire for Payouts this year! However, there will most likely be a minimum amount for Payout Orders using Bank Wire.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the feedback on this! We had decided to make the change as we had quite a few requests to change it to the username method to make the process operate more smoothly. However, I will certainly check with our team if we can make the Push go to the account Username OR Forum Name, whichever is preferable for that user.

If Dynadot is moving towards making use of Username instead of Forum name, how would Dynadot handle situations where one account's username 'abcxyz' is SAME as the forum name of another? Wouldn't it cause confusion and lead to delivery of domain to a wrong account?

•••
While we are still looking to add Payoneer as a Payout option as we've had a good amount of requests for it, we're also currently looking to adding Bank Wire for Payouts this year! However, there will most likely be a minimum amount for Payout Orders using Bank Wire.
Has there been, or will there shortly be a change for new customers waiting six months before they can have any payouts?
This seems unusually long, and unclear why it's even necessary. As long as the accounts are verified, wouldn't having sooner payouts make sense?

•••
Has there been, or will there shortly be a change for new customers waiting six months before they can have any payouts?
This seems unusually long, and unclear why it's even necessary. As long as the accounts are verified, wouldn't having sooner payouts make sense?

6 months wait for payout?! Which age are we living in?

The marketplace platforms issue payout within a week, just with email & phone verification.

Why would Dynadot require 6 months wait?!

There is a difference between being secure and being cynic.

Last edited:
•••
6 months wait for payout?! Which age are we living in?

The marketplace platforms issue payout within a week, just with email & phone verification.

Why would Dynadot require 6 months wait?!

There is a difference between being secure and being cynic.
Well, the account credit for a domain sale on their marketplace appears to be around 10 days. For an actual payout of these funds, that's a very different matter. My understanding is that this was a way of having enhanced security. But I will certainly let Dynadot speak to the matter and let us now about any possible updates to it.

This is the quote still from the Dynadot payout information posting:

NOTE: Accounts must be active for at least 6 months if you are requesting a payout.

Another question for Dynadot here is what constitutes an "active account." After this was discussed previously on this forum. So, if members enroll with your registrar, without having any domains in the account, does this start the clock "ticking" for on the six months requirement?

If this helps prevent fraud and security, kudos to Dynadot. For the individual new Dynadot domain seller, this probably needs to be factored in carefully--if is there is a more immediate desire for cash payouts from domain sales. Since they apparently have a large, loyal bunch of members that have been with them well over six months, perhaps their payouts have not been much of an issue overall.

Last edited:
•••
we're also currently looking to adding Bank Wire for Payouts this year! However, there will most likely be a minimum amount for Payout Orders using Bank Wire.
Great. Such a change would allow myself (and others) to start using dynadot marketplace more actively. Now I use it for small liquidation sales in 2 or low 3 figures ranges only, for domains I am not going to renew, with sales proceeds been used for dynadot purchases. As for mimimum amount for bankwires, I'd also ask for it. I mean an opportunity to accumulate various sales in a single wire. The reason is that international wires may go via one or more intermediate banks, and each bank may deduct some fee. So, receiving lets say 3 figures $$$ wires is simply not practical. But maybe it is just me, somebody else may be willing to pay all banking fees even for $500 sale to receive the $$$ ASAP. So, please don't make the mimimum too high :) And, by the way, what minimum Dynadot is thinking about?

Also, since Dynadot is an established company with a bank account, what exactly prevents Dynadot from paying by bankwires? In this aspect, we the domainers are "suppliers" imho. Dynadot should already pay to some non-US suppliers, such as cctld registries, with bankwires. What's the difference then?

Last edited:
•••
If Dynadot is moving towards making use of Username instead of Forum name, how would Dynadot handle situations where one account's username 'abcxyz' is SAME as the forum name of another? Wouldn't it cause confusion and lead to delivery of domain to a wrong account?
We're currently still working on how we'll allow the user to choose if they either want to send it to the username or forum name. A potential idea being if the "gaining" account gave the "giving" account the name they wanted to give and specify which of the two (forum or user) it is. Then the giving account could type in the name given to them and select which type of name it is. That way it can create a separation between the two in case two users have a username and forum name that match.

Let me know if that answers your question!

•••
While we have not discussed it recently, I have brought this up with our team to see if we can ease up on this/reduce the time frame! I appreciate the suggestion!

Also, an Active Account just refers to an account that has been created for 6 months in this case, it does not refer to any specifics such as spending/amount of domains/etc

Last edited:
•••
We're currently still working on how we'll allow the user to choose if they either want to send it to the username or forum name. A potential idea being if the "gaining" account gave the "giving" account the name they wanted to give and specify which of the two (forum or user) it is. Then the giving account could type in the name given to them and select which type of name it is. That way it can create a separation between the two in case two users have a username and forum name that match.

Let me know if that answers your question!

Whatever be approach in dealing with the 'forum name' AND 'username', TOGETHER it's going to cause confusion and loss of name. And you're not going to take responsibility for the names ending up in a wrong account, due to the fact that there was a 'matching' username of one account with the forum-name of another account.

You may want to get rid of this new approach - altogether.

It's way too late to bring in this change and could jeopardize things.

It doesn't matter whether feedback was to choose username or forum name. As there is a potential risk of losing name you need to avoid this username to forum name switch. Everyone can live with it.
Worst, you want to go by email based identity.
It's 100% fool proof and few registrars do it. Yes, there will be outcry about 'privacy (?)'. But, anyway you REVEAL TOO MUCH to the SENDERS AND RECEIVERS about who sent name to who along with their names, as part of the email notification. So, revealing email is not going to cause any damage.

You were LLC. And NOW an Inc. So, you're always cleared of the liabilities.

And, when the names of the customers is lost, LLC / INC zero liabilities protection will not protect the users' asset.

When customers realize that their names are not safe with a registrar, you know what will happen.

•••
So, please don't make the mimimum too high :) And, by the way, what minimum Dynadot is thinking about?

Also, since Dynadot is an established company with a bank account, what exactly prevents Dynadot from paying by bankwires? In this aspect, we the domainers are "suppliers" imho. Dynadot should already pay to some non-US suppliers, such as cctld registries, with bankwires. What's the difference then?
We're still workshopping what the minimum may be, however I would say in the $2000 range. However, if there are users who want to payout smaller amounts and are willing to cover the fee to have it wired to them faster, we would definitely be open to looking at that on a case-by-case basis!

We've avoided allowing Bank Wires in the past to prevent fraud, as well as Bank Wires having a much higher fee than than other methods (hence why we are looking at adding the minimum payout amount for bank wire payouts)

Last edited:
•••
While we have not discussed it recently, I have brought this up with our team to see if we can ease up on this/reduce the time frame! I appreciate the suggestion!

Also, an Active Account just refers to an account that has been created for 6 months in this case, it does not refer to any specifics such as spending/amount of domains/etc
You apparently have a high concern for fraud and abuse with new customers. Would it make sense to do the KYC for those individuals, rather than restricting their ability to withdrawal from the funds from sales of their domains?

•••
We’ve heard your feedback on the Domain Push matter, and we’re looking at ways we can help users who like the straightforwardness of the username, along with the anonymity of the forum name for pushes.The current way we’re looking at is to create a ‘Push Username’.

The Push Username is what you would give to the sender instead of your username or forum name. Once implemented, the Push Username would be identical to the account username, so any users who would prefer to use this method would be able to give the sender their username and the domain would be pushed no problem! However, for users that want to retain more anonymity, the Push Username can also be changed to whatever you’d prefer! It also must be unique in the system, so no Push Username can match any regular Username and vice versa.

During the initial stage of this change, for those who are concerned about getting the forum name and username mixed up, we are adding an optional security field: email address. If both username and email address are filled out, all info must match the receiver's account.

We hope this system addresses everyone's needs and concerns. Your feedback and suggestions are appreciated!

•••
We hope this system addresses everyone's needs and concerns. Your feedback and suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks for being so responsive to the customer concerns!

•••
You apparently have a high concern for fraud and abuse with new customers. Would it make sense to do the KYC for those individuals, rather than restricting their ability to withdrawal from the funds from sales of their domains?

This is the right thing to do.

@Dynadot

If there is concern of fraud, DO NOT LET THEM SELL. If you're concerned of fraud, why let them sell, at first place?

When you let the users sell the name you earn commission, and you're eligible for commission ONLY AFTER YOU FULFILL THE OBLIGATION of handing over the REST of the sales proceeds to the seller. When you DON'T ALLOW THE SELLER TO GET ACCESS TO THEIR MONEY because of concerns of fraud, rightfully, you need to reverse the entire transaction - return the name back to seller and money to buyer. Instead just HOLDING the money is simply unethical. You don't deserve commission. Period.

Last edited:
•••
This is the right thing to do.

@Dynadot

If there is concern of fraud, DO NOT LET THEM SELL. If you're concerned of fraud, why let them sell, at first place?

When you let the users sell the name you earn commission, and you're eligible for commission ONLY AFTER YOU FULFILL THE OBLIGATION of handing over the REST of the sales proceeds to the seller. When you DON'T ALLOW THE SELLER TO GET ACCESS TO THEIR MONEY because of concerns of fraud, rightfully, you need to reverse the entire transaction - return the name back to seller and money to buyer. Instead just HOLDING the money is simply unethical. You don't deserve commission. Period.
And the reality is that a fraudster would have no qualms about opening accounts and waiting six months before perpetrating their dirty deeds. The cash withdrawal timeline constraint seems quirky, and perhaps not the most effective strategy?

•••
And the reality is that a fraudster would have no qualms about opening accounts and waiting six months before perpetrating their dirty deeds. The cash withdrawal timeline constraint seems quirky, and perhaps not the most effective strategy?

That's applicable only for the fraudster.

TO REGISTRAR WHOMSOEVER IT MAYBE:

If you can identify who the fraud is, why let them BUY / SELL a domain? Blocking them from buying/selling is the right thing to do.
Why permit selling and lock the funds?

Being blind until the money reaches your account, then all of a sudden waking up to block the money isn't how the fraud should be mitigated. The moment a transaction turns out to be fraud, you need to void it and reverse the transaction. If you don't reverse the transaction, you're simply abetting a fraud and take part in it by keeping the sales proceeds.

A genuine seller's money/asset shouldn't be locked from being used. If you VOID the transaction, they can sell their name in other marketplaces/forums and it's their life/asset/money. You can't sanction people, just because they opened account with you. And better advice them to close account with you so that they can move their domains out and find peace with other registrars.

Last edited:
•••
A genuine seller's money/asset shouldn't be locked from being used.
That's a key point here. Due to Dynadot's policy, as a new customer, I avoided moving any names to them due to this. And, even if I transferred domains there, I figured it made sense to wait the six months before using their marketplace. Having the freedom to withdraw funds is important. Hopefully, in the future, new customers who are genuine sellers can be accommodated, while still maximizing security and fraud prevention.

Again, the great point here is that Dynadot has such an extensive following of longstanding customers. So, at least right now, this probably only inconveniences a few folks.

Last edited:
•••
That's a key point here. Due to Dynadot's policy, as a new customer, I avoided moving any names to them due to this.

So, Dynadot loses business here, just because of a policy that doesn't bring value to anyone. Marketplaces do operate without any waiting period, and Dynadot too can.

Again, the great point here is that Dynadot has such an extensive following of longstanding customers. So, at least right now, this probably only inconveniences a few folks.

The few folks that you talk about might be in 100s or even 1000s.

Last edited:
•••
So, Dynadot loses business here, just because of a policy that doesn't bring value to anyone. Marketplaces do operate without any waiting period, and Dynadot too can.

The few folks that you talk about might be in 100s or even 1000s.
Admittedly, their six-month payout policy very much saddened me. I had been really looking forward to giving them a try. My assumption is that very few folks were being affected by this policy--otherwise why would they maintain it?

I do wonder if there are many would-be customers that never signed on due to this policy. Perhaps others on the forum could chime in on that.

•••
We’ve heard your feedback on the Domain Push matter, and we’re looking at ways we can help users who like the straightforwardness of the username, along with the anonymity of the forum name for pushes.The current way we’re looking at is to create a ‘Push Username’.

The Push Username is what you would give to the sender instead of your username or forum name. Once implemented, the Push Username would be identical to the account username, so any users who would prefer to use this method would be able to give the sender their username and the domain would be pushed no problem! However, for users that want to retain more anonymity, the Push Username can also be changed to whatever you’d prefer! It also must be unique in the system, so no Push Username can match any regular Username and vice versa.

During the initial stage of this change, for those who are concerned about getting the forum name and username mixed up, we are adding an optional security field: email address. If both username and email address are filled out, all info must match the receiver's account.

So if we understand this correctly, there will be 3 things now instead of 2

1. Username ( basically a login username) - which will not be revealed for security
2. Dynadot Forum Name - will remain as is. But no longer for domain push.
3. Push Username - to be newly introduced and only for account transfers. Initially same as login username but can be updated by the user. It will be unique in the system.

Am I interpreting this correctly ?

•••
So if we understand this correctly, there will be 3 things now instead of 2

1. Username ( basically a login username) - which will not be revealed for security
2. Dynadot Forum Name - will remain as is. But no longer for domain push.
3. Push Username - to be newly introduced and only for account transfers. Initially same as login username but can be updated by the user. It will be unique in the system.

Am I interpreting this correctly ?
That is correct! The Forum name will remain for both our marketplace and our forums, and the Push Username will be exclusively for Change Ownership Requests (Pushes).

•••

LoveCatchyDomains

Namingfy

I definitely hear your issues with our current system. We had originally added these as we had seen a large uptick in fraud issues and abuse in the past couple years, and these protocols (the 6 month Payout and the 90 day push lock) have helped mitigate these greatly, however I completely understand the need for new users to want to sell and receive their payment straight away from our site.

I have taken your concerns to our team and we're currently discussing how we wish to move forward with these policies to make them more user friendly. I will update this thread once I have received confirmation on how we're going to move forward.

I do appreciate the feedback as we want to improve as much as possible!

•••
Back