IT.COM

discuss Domain Buy Service @Uni or elsewhere

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0007.png

I know that fees for domain buy services have been around for a while now but I actually never stumbled across one in the wild until now. I had no idea UNI had this service and even though the pros and cons of this have been debated before I thought I would open a new topic to discuss this service at UNI.

I'm not sure if it's a service I would use because there are a lot of pros and cons with it...

PROS
Will probably get very few inquiries unless they are pretty serious

CONS
People naturally assume you are asking an arm and two legs for the domain and they look at the $59 as a loss to inquire so they end up passing and moving to another domain.

So if you have a reasonably priced domain, lets say under 5k, chances are you will not get as many, if any inquiries using this type of a set up.

My head is swimming trying to figure out all the PROS and CONS of this type of setup so instead of me listing them I thought I would list one pro & con and let the members participate with their opinions as well.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to the displayed domain

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At the car dealership:

Me: Hey, that's a nice car you've got out there. What do do want for it?
Dealer: Pay me a $100 and I'll let you know.
Me: can you at least give me a price range?
Dealer: not without a $100 advance payment.
Me: So if I buy it, do I get a refund on that payment?
Dealer: nope.

There are no pros. I can't think of any business niche charging for price inquiries without giving an indication of the price tag attached to their goods/services.

Sometimes I feel this industry is way out of touch with the real world.

•••
You mean using as a buyer? They will initially try contact the owner (or, at least, try to - whois is now limited) asking if they want to sell and the price. Had such email inquiries from them, came from real-brokers-name @ uniregistry .com. It is for domains that are not listed on their markerplace.

•••
I wanted to write something but...

Just one question.

How many of the known top domain transactions had been started this way?

•••
Sometimes its just easier to contact the person that has the domain name instead of sending a company to do it. I have purchased MANY websites by asking the simple questions.

Are you interested in selling xxxxxxx?
Have you thought about selling xxxxx?

•••
I have no idea how much companies offering that service make from it, but I tend to agree with @NameDeck that there are no pros.

If you want to restrict frivolous inquiries, a domain investor can set the minimum on some marketplace at that amount. Depending on your lander, you can then deal with the potential purchaser yourself or have the marketplace do it. If you do not like their offer, and it does not work out, the person gets their money back as they should.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Pros: keeps identity masked, preventing spam and masking the deep, or shallow, pockets of the would-be buyer as well as the nature of their interest in the domain.

Cons: if commission based presumably in the agent's interest to agree the highest price buyer will accept, not lowest price seller will accept.

•••
Actually what that lander usually represents is the domain has sold, and it has deleted from the sellers account, but the nameservers haven’t changed.

Before it would continue to point to the old sellers parking page, and they would continue to get revenue on clicks. Now Uniregistry optimized the chance to maybe resell that domain to a person maybe wiling to pay more, or get a lead so maybe they can sell them another name.

Last edited:
•••
Actually what that lander usually represents is the domain has sold, and it has deleted from the sellers account, but the nameservers haven’t changed.
Same on Sedo, they are willing to try to act as agents to buy a domain again even before it has fully changed hands.

•••
At the car dealership:

Me: Hey, that's a nice car you've got out there. What do do want for it?
Dealer: Pay me a $100 and I'll let you know.
Me: can you at least give me a price range?
Dealer: not without a $100 advance payment.
Me: So if I buy it, do I get a refund on that payment?
Dealer: nope.

There are no pros. I can't think of any business niche charging for price inquiries without giving an indication of the price tag attached to their goods/services.

Sometimes I feel this industry is way out of touch with the real world.

Excellent post....kudos!

•••
Compare to something like the up front 19.95 fee a domain buyer must pay to make an offer on a domain at DomainAgents? I have sold domains at DA so some buyers must be willing to pay to make an offer.

Last edited:
•••
I have no idea how much companies offering that service make from it, but I tend to agree with @NameDeck that there are no pros.

If you want to restrict frivolous inquiries, a domain investor can set the minimum on some marketplace at that amount. Depending on your lander, you can then deal with the potential purchaser yourself or have the marketplace do it. If you do not like their offer, and it does not work out, the person gets their money back as they should.

Bob

They are different things really. Web Magic and Nat Cohen's Telepathy are saying for me to take my time this is what it costs. The Uniregistry service is for someone or some company that wants to be stealthy. You can still contact the owner parked at Uniregistry, but you are going to use your name. Some people don't want to waste time on this and hire someone. This is not the domain owner charging $59 to give a price quote.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is a domain buy service?
If you have your heart set on a domain name but someone else has it registered, our domain buy service can help get it for you. With this service you are assigned a dedicated domain broker who will discuss your inquiry with you by phone and decide how to best contact the current owner to negotiate a potential sale for the domain name exclusively on your behalf. We are experts in negotiating the best price possible, keeping your interest confidential and ensuring a swift and secure transaction and transfer of the domain to your ownership.

How can I be sure a domain buy service is the right thing for me?
We handle inquiries from clients that are new to the domain name aftermarket and wouldn’t know how to acquire domains themselves, clients that require a secure transaction and transfer, clients who insist on confidentiality to protect their interests or all of the above. We are the experts, leave it to us!

What fees are involved in your domain buy service?
There is an initial consultation fee for engaging with our service and assigning your dedicated domain broker to the inquiry and a commission of 15%% of the price if you buy the domain name or 175 USD whichever is greater. In some instances, if we have a prior commitment to represent the seller, the commission may be split or paid by the seller.

What assurance do I have that you can acquire the domain name for me?
Our service provides you with an exclusive professional domain broker who will work on your behalf to utilise all their resources and expertise to acquire the domain. Whether to sell a domain name and at what price depends on reaching an agreement with the owner. If the domain name is not available for sale at an agreeable price, then we may also suggest alternatives which may suit you better.

What happens after a sale is agreed?
We provide a secure checkout service. Once your domain name is paid for, our transfer team will move the name to your Uniregistry.com account.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back