NameSilo

Wild West Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm thinking about paying the $99yr fee to try this system out and see if it can churn some profits....has anybody used this service before..if so how is it and what are the pros and cons..thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I used the service for a year and thought it was great. It allows you the flexibility to change your prices, offer the services you want, very customizable, and easy to use. If you want a full solution for offering domain registrations from payment processing to order handling, then I'd recommend WWD. :tu: B-)

•••
I'm a current WWD reseller (see my sig), but somethings about it I don't like. The reporting system is awful, and all the strange transfer restrictions that GoDaddy has apply here too. Customization options are somewhat limited, and the pricing is average. Other than that, it's a good program overall. Commission payments are timely.

Oh, and for some unknown reason my reseller site is down tonight. Technical problems. :bah:

•••
If all you are going to sell are domains think again. The market is saturated. To be competitive you will need to sell domains at rock bottom prices.

Lets take a look:
You sell .com for $7.85
Less -> $6.75 (WWD wholesale .com price)
Less -> $0.27 [Revenue Share - 25% of $1.10 ($7.85 less $6.75)]
Less -> $0.45 (Transaction Fee $2.5% credit card fee $0.25 transaction fee)

Earnings per domain -> $0.38 <-

Assume no other fees or costs and you would need to sell 261 domains a year just to recover your $99 WWD annual fee.

•••
acts837 said:
Assume no other fees or costs and you would need to sell 261 domains a year just to recover your $99 WWD annual fee.

Or 16 backorders at approx 6.50 reseller revenue share. IMO the pros do out weigh the cons. Being a WWD reseller myself, I can testify that the other internet products offered (hosting, ssl certificates etc) more than account for a great return on the yearly investment fee.
Essentialy it's how one can market it. Even for simply regging names at near wholesale prices, I've found it to be well worth it.

•••
Good point acts837. It is hard to make any money from selling registrations with WWD. Like you said, I only make $.38 from a .com registration (and about a buck on the other extensions). It's only worthwhile for me to renew because I have some customers using the backorders and other WWD services like TrafficBlazer that earn a better profit.

•••
-RJ- said:
Good point acts837. It is hard to make any money from selling registrations with WWD. Like you said, I only make $.38 from a .com registration (and about a buck on the other extensions). It's only worthwhile for me to renew because I have some customers using the backorders and other WWD services like TrafficBlazer that earn a better profit.

I would bet that the revenue model for Godaddy is about the same. Minimal income on domains, most income from add-ons.

...And boy do they push the add-ons! you have to go through 3-4 pages of no thank you's just to buy a name.

I have been real careful about buying names reg'ed at GD because of the transfer restriction on ownership change. You can get stuck renewing a domain there at unknown higher prices if you buy within 60 days of expiration.

Money in domains is really not in selling registrations to us who know domains. The money is made selling them for $10 to $25 to those who only register one while purchasing hosting. A web designer has no problem selling a domain for $25 when packaged with a $600+ website, particularly if they only need one. NSI and Register.com sell millions at full retail prices all the time because newbies don't know any better, or don't know who to trust.

•••
gosh that is a lot of domains you have to sell to get the money back

•••
This is worst when it is $99 annually, not a one-time payment like many other domain reseller companies.

•••
For those that areintested in WWD anyway I have a link for $89 instead of the $99. I can post it later today (it is on my other computer at home) or send me an email and I will send it out to you directly later tonight...

•••
I would have to say if your planning to get a reseller account mainly to profit from domain names, think again. I am a reseller as well and I can tell you for sure it is not worth the $99 a year. The question you need to ask yourself is why are you paying a $99 yearly fee and then they kill you on the transaction fees as well. If they are going to charge you the $99 then get rid of all those transaction fees or do what enom does. Charge the transaction fees and get rid of the $99 a year. It would be better off as a one time setup fee or a $40 a year fee. Plus you are forced to forward your domain name to one of their sub domains. If im paying the $99 a year why cant they host the damn thing on my domain. They are charging enough for the service. They should give a little extra to benifit the resellers. But one good thing is their technical support on the phone is the best. I would suggest calling them instead of emailing their support team because sometimes you dont always get the answer your looking for by email. Then when you reply, sometimes a different support agent gets the email so they need to read the whole message again before responding. Usually they only read the last reply and give you an answer your not looking for since they didnt feel like reading the whole entire email conversation. It gets to be a pain sometimes. But the phone support is definately super. They should get a 1800 #.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Wild West Domains Reseller

Hi Guys

After much reading...yes there are pros and cons to WWD, but for those who can't afford an API solution and flogging off $$$$ in advance for domains that may or may not get registered, this is a good solution

1. It means that you don't have to lock $$$$ waiting to push a reg through
2. The mass of add-ons is the key here.
3. True, customization is limited, but with some patience, you can work out a unique look and feel. See my website www.tlddirect.com - it runs off WWD. I can also design one for those who want a front end or as much as possible to be unique.

The key with WWD is:

Flog the add-ons as premium
Try promotions and free domains and even register them yourself (your CC) in your clients name.
Unique website
Add other services from other affiliates as well, such as templatemonster.com

Let me know what you think

The viacr

•••
I justed about jumped to them, but then I found enom and directi and settled for directi.. its been not to bad atm! :hehe:

•••
-RJ- said:
I'm a current WWD reseller (see my sig).... It is hard to make any money from selling registrations with WWD

Yes the GD/WW 60 day transfer lock upon renewals or registrant changes sure sucks big time! It means if you are a seller and renew a name you can't transfer for 2 mos.

You can only make $ as a reseller with lots of time, effort and high traffic, other than pocket change.

P.S. Did not see a WW resller link in your sig line.

Last edited:
•••
Just noticed the Wild West Adsense Banner immidiately under this post (15).

It is amazing how Google diaplays only 1 ad and is a banner graphic (not a text link) which also is a Wild West ad? In fact, graphical adsense itself is rare from what I have seen.

How is that down so easy here as have never seen it before anywhere, did this forum arrange for custom programming in conjunction with adsense perhaps?

P.S. The above was true under post 15 but after I posted this as post 16 that disappeared and replaced with a normal adsense with the 4 text ads, none of them for GD or WW. Very odd? The prior adsense was much more effective what with the incredible targeting toward this thread and nice eye catching graphic goes with a high CTR I am sure.

Last edited:
•••
TLD Direct looks really good. But one question -- are you making more than $99 profit a year with it? ;)

thevicar said:
Hi Guys

After much reading...yes there are pros and cons to WWD, but for those who can't afford an API solution and flogging off $$$$ in advance for domains that may or may not get registered, this is a good solution

1. It means that you don't have to lock $$$$ waiting to push a reg through
2. The mass of add-ons is the key here.
3. True, customization is limited, but with some patience, you can work out a unique look and feel. See my website www.tlddirect.com - it runs off WWD. I can also design one for those who want a front end or as much as possible to be unique.

The key with WWD is:

Flog the add-ons as premium
Try promotions and free domains and even register them yourself (your CC) in your clients name.
Unique website
Add other services from other affiliates as well, such as templatemonster.com

Let me know what you think

The viacr

•••
TLDDirect.com

Just started :lala:

Been up and running since September 30th. So far 600K hits so far with 1 domain regged and a few hosting accounts with associated services.

Since I am treating this as a main business, I am spending on promoting it and looking at targeting my audience to the Middle East, Europe, China and South Asia.

So far spent about 500$ promoting it with SEOs and unique visitor buys. I am in for the long run so. But as the market is fairly saturated, I can either do nothing, or target and spend accordingly. In all, I will be building a network of 5 each with their own brand.

Glad you like the site.

•••
If you have the time/money/effort to do the domain reseller then go for it as its perfect for having your own domain business.

If your just going to see what business you can get then I suggest enom or directi as its free! :P

•••
True

I think its what works best for everyone and since i would like to expand my portfolio, WWD seems the best choice. Solely selling domains won't work and the market as we all know is saturated. My reliance is more on the extra products and services which makes the domain portion more palatable.

Best

•••
thevicar said:
I am spending on promoting it and looking at targeting my audience to the Middle East, Europe, China and South Asia.

I encourage you to contact WWD because you may have some angry customers on you one day. GD/WWD are not very friendly with some countries. I wish you the best of luck but would hate to see you promote your site in a country that they ban. BTW, they have a list of countries they ban (by IP block) now.

•••
good point there, but so far so good. Though you caught my interest and would like to know the countries in question. I guess teh regulars that feature on the OFAC list or similar (Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, etc...) are banned. But these in any case are not my target.

Middle East for me is Bahrain, UAE (Booming place) and Qatar
Europe: All except Eastern
Asia: Except Indonesia, Bhutan, and a few of the islands.

Let me know more about this IP Ban as it is interesting.

Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back