Dynadot

sales "Domain Advertising"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Ever since I arrived at NP and on the domain scene three years ago I just knew there had to be a better way to buy and sell domains.To sell pretty much anything in life you have to advertise whether it's cars, boats, clothes, homes, mortgages, tools, or even food.

I never once bought into the theory if you buy it, then list it with one of dozens of brokers like Afternic at Go Daddy, with Sedo, Huge Domains, Uniregistry, Dan, Sav, Domain Market, etc. they'll come. I actual thought the business model for the domain industry was a joke, and as it turns out most of my business peers who aren't familiar with the industry think it's a joke as well.....i'm sorry if that offends anyone reading this, but it's the honest truth.

I've recently partnered with an ad agency whose understanding of the domain industry parallels mine. I've shared with them the hit piece by Jeanne McPhearson that Verisign did on the secondary market a few years ago, and I also shared why I believe Verisign who has the exclusive distribution rights to the .com extension shut off further comments.......and for those of you who are familiar with what I'm referring to, it's obviously a "Catch 22", and to share some irony, the grand daughter of the author Joseph Heller of Catch -22 actually works for the ad agency that's partnering with me.

Finally, for discussion purposes, have any of you worked with an ad agency to help promote your domains? If so, please share your experience as to why or why it didn't work. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"And now probably registered by you :) a textbook illustration of how the value of a .com doesn't translate to a random new TLD."

.....my point exactly Nick, and I couldn't get any better "free advertising" if I tried.

"You still running Inquisitor?"

No, but it was a great name wasn't it? especially if you're firm was a licensed private investigations company and did in the industry what's known as "skip tracing" online.

Don't you think it will be great when talking, zooming and meeting with "end users" about domain names I can share business names of businesses I own now and businesses I started in the past. It may sound a tad better than, "Did you know I've been a domainer for the last three years":xf.rolleyes:

Yes... That was a nice brand. And would be a great acquisition in .com :).

As for the zoom meetings, yes. You're right about that. I think I've mentioned this before but you come across (to me at least) as more of salesman, less of a domainer. You may have a chance in advertising, ThatNameGuy aka, Don Draper, if you get the reference ;). Full of hot air, no offence, it's a quality not to be underestimated :)

What it comes down to Rich, what you're doing and are usually talking about isn't considered old school domaining by a lot of people. Not in the traditional sense.

Now, a lot of domainers I know are active in branding, advertising, marketing, tech and combine that with domaining. Nothing wrong with that. But each and every one of those disciplines have their own pitfalls. When you consider domaining at large, it's best to leave out a lot of the marketing gimmicks and just focus on the core business. That's buying and selling quality names. There are plenty of ways to reach your endgoal, what matters are the results, like in any business.

Not that I know it all, I'm not a domaining hotshot but I can validate that what the seasoned domainers, whatever their niche is, are advocating here works.

I'll leave it at that, next post will be about some free advertising options to refrain from further derailment of this thread, if even possible ;)

•••
@ThatNameGuy

So as promised, here's a little exercise that works in my experience to get more eyes on your marketplace and/or contact info. I've set up this example earlier today but work was interfering from posting about it, but yeah, free advertising for your own website.

It's actually one of the oldest and most neglected ways of advertising your own marketplace. It has been done since the early ages of domaining but there seems to be little adaptation these days. The premise is that each and every domainer is putting out free advertising for their registrars and sales venues every day!

Why is that?

How many times does an average domainer check the whois of a domain? Will an enduser do? Some will some won't. But why leave the option unexploited to brand your whois info and advertise your own domain(s) instead of your registrar/sales venue?

Even when you're using whois privacy there are ways to get your own domain noticed solely by using your own custom nameserver. Nameservers that could be mentioning, your domain, your marketplace, not your registrar or sales venue.

Now let's compare two whois lookups for domains I own

plot/store in king
domain/name/rank in king

Make sure to do a full whois lookup at whois.com/whois or whatever you prefer. Notice the difference? It just takes a couple of minutes to set up and once set up you can edit your domains in bulk. Free advertising when people do a live whois lookup, free advertising in historical data. How easy can it get?

Now in full disclosure, I don't have a full website up and running that people could be visiting in this example, my live and real world approach is more complicated and on other domains but you get the gist.

Last edited:
•••
lock...Joe seems to think my asking if you have bumper stickers on your cars in down under is somehow "off topic" when it comes to "Advertising"??? bumper sticker's here where I live in Virginia Beach advertise all sorts of things from Sports, to Clubs like Kiwanis Clubs, to Restaurants etc. I guess Joe doesn't see anything like that in Canada and I just thought you might in Australia.

I'm sorry.
Bumper stickers are very popular in Australia we actually cover our utes in stickers. Sticker bombed bumper stickers is a trend in the outback not uncommon at all. Every ute tray and rear window (pick up truck) is covered. Uncommon is a ute without them. Half would be jokes and other half locations of pubs (bars) mainly. In city you have just vehicles covered in advertising..

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Umm... a three (3) step process to .online "Domain Advertising"?

1) Read the new DomainInvesting.com article regarding Rick Schwartz tweet

2) Register LastLaugh.Online after reading the Domain King👑 displeasure to receiving LastLaughs.Live for free.

3) Comment and 🤞 the Domain King👑 buys it.

Show attachment 184231

Lol, I experienced the same stuff with netsol. One day these matching domains just magically showed up. They didn't even have the courtesy to send an email.

•••
Lol, I experienced the same stuff with netsol. One day these matching domains just magically showed up. They didn't even have the courtesy to send an email.

I hope you registered the .online version. Otherwise that you know who may beat you to it, and cradle it for a year.

Last edited:
•••
I hope you registered the .online version. Otherwise that you know who may beat you to it, and cradle it for a year.
Thanks for posting this Grilled, but because I'm limiting my "advertising:xf.wink:" comments here on NP I just wanted to acknowledge and thank you for referring to this from another blog; "We own LastLaugh.online"
You might want to note that unlike Mr. Schwartz's LastLaughs.com, ours is singular because it just sounded better and we're told the singular version will be worth more than the plural version. What do you think?

PS. DirkS is a friend of mine, and I think he would agree that my registering LastLaugh.online isn't considered "STUFFING". You might not like it, but you know what they say:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
You might want to note that unlike Mr. Schwartz's LastLaughs.com, ours is singular because it just sounded better and we're told the singular version will be worth more than the plural version. What do you think?

I guess I don't understand why.

At a certain point, you can't really be pitching product or service ideas on a bulk of domains you don't plan to renew. Maybe this is backwards thinking here, but rather than acquiring in mass without a bulk renewal/sales strategy, it seems as if you may find yourself domain drunk .online if a strategic business plan is not put in place.

Imagine you get a backer that loves your 1,000 .online domains. Will they still love to know that portfolio includes an estimated $20,000 annual liability in renewal fee's? Or would the backer understand it is a catch and release game, and that it's actually marginally a $1,000 per year renewal, going by the drop and renewal at initial year promo strategy? Does the backer assume these are liquid domains, and you have an outbound or wholesale strategy to hedge any investments, or is it an understand marketing driven gamble? And if it's a marketing driven gamble, what are the payoff's? To land a job with Radix? To gain an education? To sell the acquired portfolio in bulk? To register as many domains as possible to interject in daily conversation?

I don't think I own many .online domains. Though, recently remember the uk1.net promo had included a free .online matching domain to my £0.99 .com purchase. I will not be renewing the .online domain, and maybe it would be useful as a sandbox or possible backup for a developer, it's just not for me at $20/yr renewal. Opposed to the .com, which will carry an $8 transfer fee, and has more of a chance being liquidated for more than I paid ($1) in the bargain section, than the 0$ .online version would yield if also offered on a wholesale level.

upload_2021-3-6_20-22-9.png

But back to the article/comment, I think the issue the domain king was raising was these promo registrations, and/or domain stuffing, was ultimately pumping up registry numbers, that may later be marketed/pumped/touted at solid metrics, when in fact, the registration metric may not yield the full usage story. So essentially your registration of LastLaugh.online and subsequent comment based off reading the article was :spam: at best, and well, laughable at worst. As it seems you completely missed the point of the article, and First name Middle Initial Last Named your comment that was just asking to get scorched, but it looks like Rick had better things to do than to throw shade at the peanut gallery.

Last edited:
•••
I guess I don't understand why.

At a certain point, you can't really be pitching product or service ideas on a bulk of domains you don't plan to renew. Maybe this is backwards thinking here, but rather than acquiring in mass without a bulk renewal/sales strategy, it seems as if you may find yourself domain drunk .online if a strategic business plan is not put in place.

Imagine you get a backer that loves your 1,000 .online domains. Will they still love to know that portfolio includes an estimated $20,000 annual liability in renewal fee's? Or would the backer understand it is a catch and release game, and that it's actually marginally a $1,000 per year renewal, going by the drop and renewal at initial year promo strategy? Does the backer assume these are liquid domains, and you have an outbound or wholesale strategy to hedge any investments, or is it an understand marketing driven gamble? And if it's a marketing driven gamble, what are the payoff's? To land a job with Radix? To gain an education? To sell the acquired portfolio in bulk? To register as many domains as possible to interject in daily conversation?

I don't think I own many .online domains. Though, recently remember the uk1.net promo had included a free .online matching domain to my £0.99 .com purchase. I will not be renewing the .online domain, and maybe it would be useful as a sandbox or possible backup for a developer, it's just not for me at $20/yr renewal. Opposed to the .com, which will carry an $8 transfer fee, and has more of a chance being liquidated for more than I paid ($1) in the bargain section, than the 0$ .online version would yield if also offered on a wholesale level.

Show attachment 184415

But back to the article/comment, I think the issue the domain king was raising was these promo registrations, and/or domain stuffing, was ultimately pumping up registry numbers, that may later be marketed/pumped/touted at solid metrics, when in fact, the registration metric may not yield the full usage story. So essentially your registration of LastLaugh.online and subsequent comment based off reading the article was :spam: at best, and well, laughable at worst. As it seems you completely missed the point of the article, and First name Middle Initial Last Named your comment that was just asking to get scorched, but it looks like Rick had better things to do than to throw shade at the peanut gallery.
Of course you don't understand....for what I have planned for the domain industry to include Verisign, Go Daddy, Radix and a host of other registries and registrars is really over your head.

To illustrate, Go Daddy values LastLaugh(s).com @ $1,601 and LastLaugh.com @ $4,446. Clearly the singular version is more valuable than the plural version. Moving on to what's right of the .dot, in the big scheme of things it matters not whether it's .com, .online, .xyz .lmnop or any other combination of letters as long as it leads to your website. I'm sure you're aware of this, but most businesses and consumers ARE NOT.

In order to cover your bases you should own both the singular and plural versions of any domain "if" you can afford it. Then with regards to what's right of the dot, you should own all TLD's and nTLD's that make sense "if" you can afford them. Last thing I'll share, a friend of mine owns a nine location specialty gourmet sandwich business Taste®, and he uses Taste.Online as his domain....check it out if you don't believe me.

Finally, in the way of "advertising" I just registered one of the coolest .online domains that I can't showcase here, but you can view it on another thread where .online domains are Showcased.

•••
Bumper stickers are very popular in Australia we actually cover our utes in stickers. Sticker bombed bumper stickers is a trend in the outback not uncommon at all. Every ute tray and rear window (pick up truck) is covered. Uncommon is a ute without them. Half would be jokes and other half locations of pubs (bars) mainly. In city you have just vehicles covered in advertising..
Sticker vehicle wrap is first scam in video.
New scams for 2021. Paid to advertise well not quite.
Not pointing fingers just related to topic.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back