Dynadot

sales "Domain Advertising"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Ever since I arrived at NP and on the domain scene three years ago I just knew there had to be a better way to buy and sell domains.To sell pretty much anything in life you have to advertise whether it's cars, boats, clothes, homes, mortgages, tools, or even food.

I never once bought into the theory if you buy it, then list it with one of dozens of brokers like Afternic at Go Daddy, with Sedo, Huge Domains, Uniregistry, Dan, Sav, Domain Market, etc. they'll come. I actual thought the business model for the domain industry was a joke, and as it turns out most of my business peers who aren't familiar with the industry think it's a joke as well.....i'm sorry if that offends anyone reading this, but it's the honest truth.

I've recently partnered with an ad agency whose understanding of the domain industry parallels mine. I've shared with them the hit piece by Jeanne McPhearson that Verisign did on the secondary market a few years ago, and I also shared why I believe Verisign who has the exclusive distribution rights to the .com extension shut off further comments.......and for those of you who are familiar with what I'm referring to, it's obviously a "Catch 22", and to share some irony, the grand daughter of the author Joseph Heller of Catch -22 actually works for the ad agency that's partnering with me.

Finally, for discussion purposes, have any of you worked with an ad agency to help promote your domains? If so, please share your experience as to why or why it didn't work. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have thought along those lines enough that i bought names to suit ad industry. I host most of my landers.and always prefer to part with domains of other niches. I haven't ever used paid advertising on domains only on sites.

•••
If their knowledge of the domain industry parallels yours, run.

In the spirit of honesty, let me explain.

Ad agencies and PR agencies for the most part are master manipulators. Do you think anyone ever talks to them and they don't walk away feeling that they met their match?

You make some very absolute statements that are not grounded in reality at all. Domain industry is a joke? By the time an ad agency is done with you, you might have a whole different understanding of what joke means in relation to an industry.

What's next, you spoke to someone that peddles PR services and they "totally" agreed with your rants (surprise) and you now realize that sending a PR for each domain is the secret. All giant companies send PR so it must work, plus the guy you are speaking too gets everything you are saying and he even won't make any money unless you make money plus he has a DNA test proving he's related to Einstein.

You seem bitter, and bitter people enter a cycle of endless loses, making them more bitter.

Now that I got that out of the way, let's talk about selling domains and advertising.

When you think about advertising the first thing you need to ask is who is your target audience?

With domains this is not an easy answer. If you have a domain Crodablx.com you cannot do outbound for it (you could, but it will be a waste). So who is your target audience? People looking for business names for a project they have.

Listing it in a searchable marketplace is a waste because what term would someone even type in for it to come up? If the domain is Crowdablx.com it might show up for people looking for names with the word crowd but with the name in the example you best choice is to list it on a brandable marketplace that has traffic. You need an ad agency for that?

If you have a domain like BuyFlowers.com you need to use every possible method to promote it. List it on Afternic so you get the GoDaddy and partner searches and list on on Sedo and everywhere else you can. Need an ad agency for that?

There are names that might be worth buying ads on Adwords and Linkedin, and names worth hiring a broker for, but that is not the case for most names. If you have the goods, one of the top brokers will respond to you fast.

Domains are a difficult asset to advertise. Its a big waiting game. You are waiting for someone that has money to like the name you own. It could take a day or 20 years or never.

Most people in every industry will fail and be bitter. Show me an industry that does not have someone rant against it because they have not been doing well. People like that just hop from thing to thing, drop rants as they leave, and never succeed in anything.

Most industries have a formula to success. It is never easy.

Cheer up, that is the first step in changing direction. An ad agency is not going to do anything for you (for domains) other than give you hope, and yes, that includes the one agency that is "totally" not like the other ones that really listened to your rant and you felt you connected on a personal level.

Last edited:
•••

Ad agencies and PR agencies for the most part are master manipulators. Do you think anyone ever talks to them and they don't walk away feeling that they met their match?

You make some very absolute statements that are not grounded in reality at all. Domain industry is a joke? By the time an ad agency is done with you, you might have a whole different understanding of what joke means in relation to an industry.

What's next, you spoke to someone that peddles PR services and they "totally" agreed with your rants (surprise) and you now realize that sending a PR for each domain is the secret. All giant companies send PR so it must work, plus the guy you are speaking too gets everything you are saying and he even won't make any money unless you make money plus he has a DNA test proving he's related to Einstein.

You seem bitter, and bitter people enter a cycle of endless loses, making them more bitter.

Now that I got that out of the way, let's talk about selling domains and advertising.

When you think about advertising the first thing you need to ask is who is your target audience?

With domains this is not an easy answer. If you have a domain Crodablx.com you cannot do outbound for it (you could, but it will be a waste). So who is your target audience? People looking for business names for a project they have.

Listing it in a searchable marketplace is a waste because what term would someone even type in for it to come up? If the domain is Crowdablx.com it might show up for people looking for names with the word crowd but with the name in the example you best choice is to list it on a brandable marketplace that has traffic. You need an ad agency for that?

If you have a domain like BuyFlowers.com you need to use every possible method to promote it. List it on Afternic so you get the GoDaddy and partner searches and list on on Sedo and everywhere else you can. Need an ad agency for that?

There are names that might be worth buying ads on Adwords and Linkedin, and names worth hiring a broker for, but that is not the case for most names. If you have the goods, one of the top brokers will respond to you fast.

Domains are a difficult asset to advertise. Its a big waiting game. You are waiting for someone that has money to like the name you own. It could take a day or 20 years or never.

Most people in every industry will fail and be bitter. Show me an industry that does not have someone rant against it because they have not been doing well. People like that just hop from thing to thing, drop rants as they leave, and never succeed in anything.

Cheer up, that is the first step in changing direction. An ad agency is not going to do anything for you (for domains) other than give you hope, and yes, that includes the one agency that is "totally" not like the other ones that really listened to your rant and you felt you connected on a personal level.

Wow! Thanks for that(y) Let me start with the domain "joke". Maybe i should have referred to it as the domain "hoax" or the domain "fraud".

To quote you; "In the spirit of honesty, let me explain"

First, i'm in the process of filing a law suit against the largest registrar in the world (Go Daddy), and a registry right here in my home town (Dominion Domains). At first I was a little reluctant to name names, but in the spirit of "advertising", and because I have proof in writing "witnessed" by insiders at these firms, I thought why not. I won't detail the particular circumstances surrounding each of my claims, but you will be reading about them soon enough.

However, i will share with you an example of another incident that just happened to me this week. Thursday I was hand registering domains in another extension other than .com. One of the domains I registered was TheMillionaire.xxxxxx. Note that in reality it matters not what's right of the dot as long as it gets you to where you want to go. With each of my non .com names I always compare it to the .com version, and in this instance TheMillionaire.com is valued at Go Daddy @ $9,807, and it's also for sale at GD for $20,000. Then I typically continue my research by keying the domain into my URL to see where it leads. In this case it led me to Afternic (Go Daddy's secondary market division) where I was directed to call if I wanted a quote. So I did, and the individual gives me a quote over the phone of $2,200. I said to him, are you sure? And he says, yes. Then fast forward 24 hours to yesterday and I get a call from another Afternic sales guy saying he was just following up, so I ask him the sales price again, and this guy say's it's $20,000. I ask him to please repeat what he said, and he confirmed it was $20,000:xf.rolleyes:

AEProgram....this is all so typical of the "secondary" or "aftermarket" piece of the domain industry.

Back to "Domain Advertising", my advertising partner and I plan to use this sort of information to explain and educate consumers and businesses about the "hoax", "fraud" and "joke" known as the domain industry. In case you don't remember, it was Verisign (the exclusive sole source for .com) that confirmed "in writing" my suspicions about the industry.

Finally, when all this makes "Headlines".....we really couldn't buy any better "advertising". Wouldn't you agree? I gotta run, i have an appointment in an hour for my first Covid shot Thanks again for your post(y)

•••
I have thought along those lines enough that i bought names to suit ad industry. I host most of my landers.and always prefer to part with domains of other niches. I haven't ever used paid advertising on domains only on sites.

Thanks lock. Advertising like marketing comes in all sorts of packages but the one that intrigues me the most is subliminal advertising:xf.wink: So before anyone accuses me of subliminal advertising for domains...forget it, I'm not unethical in life or business.

I think it was the post after yours that another member assumed I'm "bitter":xf.rolleyes:. Here's how little some people "online" know about me, or about business for that matter. I've learned in the few years I've been involved with the domain industry that it's a HUGE industry "Hiding In Plain Sight".......not my words, but Verisign's.

Instead of being "bitter", I'm actually a HappyCamper.:xf.wink::xf.smile::xf.confused::xf.rolleyes::ROFL::xf.love:. Regardless, much of our advertising to "end users" and to consumers and businesses will be to expose the .com secondary market for what it really is......it's a com con job as I've pointed out so many times.

Why would I be bitter if I i stand to profit from this fiasco:xf.smile:

•••

"Cheer Up" "Bitter".....you really don't have a clue do you? Like I said to lock, why in the world would I be bitter if I'm about pull the curtain down and expose the the Wizard of Com:xf.rolleyes:

Here are the services my ad partner brings to the table;

Google Ads I SEO I Website Design I Social Media I Email Marketing I SMS Marketing I Review
Management I Video Production

When he heard some the stories I shared about the domain industry, it was quite an eye opener. Then when I shared my portfolio and how it compared to the .com hoax, he started sharing with me his connections with the Active Rain Network, I knew we were a good fit.

Then when he heard the story about our "local" registry Dominion Domains and how when they heard I might have an interest in the domain HomeSweet.homes, the President Jim Schrand raised the price offering from $85 to $64,000, he (my ad partner) really couldn't believe his ears:xf.rolleyes: While HomeSweet.homes isn't a .com, the "Greed" in this industry is systemic and on steroids. Then to cap it off, all this crap happening with Go Daddy gives me and my ad partner the opportunity to take all of this public. Now ask me if I'm bitter....ecstatic is a much better word. There's not enough money on planet earth to shut me up or shake me down.

That's all I have for now....stay tuned because "Domain Advertising" and outbound marketing will be playing a bigger and bigger roll as the domain industry comes out from behind the curtain.

•••
"Cheer Up" "Bitter".....you really don't have a clue do you? Like I said to lock, why in the world would I be bitter if I'm about pull the curtain down and expose the the Wizard of Com:xf.rolleyes:

Here are the services my ad partner brings to the table;

Google Ads I SEO I Website Design I Social Media I Email Marketing I SMS Marketing I Review
Management I Video Production

When he heard some the stories I shared about the domain industry, it was quite an eye opener. Then when I shared my portfolio and how it compared to the .com hoax, he started sharing with me his connections with the Active Rain Network, I knew we were a good fit.

Then when he heard the story about our "local" registry Dominion Domains and how when they heard I might have an interest in the domain HomeSweet.homes, the President Jim Schrand raised the price offering from $85 to $64,000, he (my ad partner) really couldn't believe his ears:xf.rolleyes: While HomeSweet.homes isn't a .com, the "Greed" in this industry is systemic and on steroids. Then to cap it off, all this crap happening with Go Daddy gives me and my ad partner the opportunity to take all of this public. Now ask me if I'm bitter....ecstatic is a much better word. There's not enough money on planet earth to shut me up or shake me down.

That's all I have for now....stay tuned because "Domain Advertising" and outbound marketing will be playing a bigger and bigger roll as the domain industry comes out from behind the curtain.
Rich, please keep us fully updated on the progress of your lawsuit. I think we're all very eager to hear how that turns out.

•••
Rich, please keep us fully updated on the progress of your lawsuit. I think we're all very eager to hear how that turns out.

I am sure that GoDaddy, a multi-billion dollar company with an army of top tier lawyers on-staff is quaking in their boots.

This has taken a Curtis Neeley turn...with stupid threatened lawsuits. That turned out well for him.

Good luck. (y)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
and to think, you may even play a roll. From Verisign;

"secondary market has expanded in ways that exploit consumers"

"there is also an unregulated secondary market - led by domain speculators - hiding in plain sight"

Come to think of it, you already do:xf.wink:

•••
As someone who has worked incredibly closely with all sorts of digital agencies ranging from seo, social, and everything else OP listed (except "review management" which is more often than not a euphemism for something very unethical that I wouldn't associate with), and is intimately familiar with how they operate, I just want to say that I can tell this is going to end very well for all parties involved and seems like a very smart plan.

I'm glad this is a real thing that is happening with an advertising agency that definitely exists. As with all of the other big claims that TNG has made, there will be skeptics.

People want to act like there isn't one single example of anything he's ever spoken about actually happening, of any of these JV's and ventures coming to fruition. People want to act like this guy is just blowing hot air year after year and never actually putting in the work.

People want to say that TNG is a huge fraud who can't back up any of the claims he's made, who hasn't followed through on a single thing he's talked about, who loves to drop names to feel important, who is the textbook example of a wantrepreneur who loves to come up with idea after idea but never takes action on anything. A LOT of people want to say that, but I'd urge those people to think again.

It's hard to see new ideas and innovation that's taking place outside of the box, when you're stuck inside of the box (or stuck inside the Cube, as the case may be. Ahem.)

Think outside the box? What about THINK OUTSIDE THE DOTCOM?

I recently called up my uncle, who founded one of the top digital agencies back in the '80s and played a major role in building the initial awareness for .com, despite all of the doubters early on. He couldn't GIVE AWAY names to people at first, that would sell for 500k today. They all thought he was crazy. Kinda reminds me of all the premium .online names that are still available to register for $1, don't you think? Even thought it's 2021 and everyone knows the value of a domain name today, you still can't give these things away. I call that an opportunity.

I showed some of TNG's posts to my uncle and his friends & business associates including the CEO of a fortune 500 company that exists almost entirely offline, a gentleman who owns a commodities exchange overseas, the CFO of one of the top web hosting brands in the world, a man who opened one restaurant in 1960 and now has over 1000 locations, a woman who is probably going to be the next billionaire that you haven't heard of yet thanks to a new low-calorie sweetener she invented after spending 7 straight years in a lab figuring it out, a Grammy-winning songstress... a real diverse group of people, to say the least! They get along because they all "get it".

Anyways, I broughjt up some of ThatNameGuy's posts with the impression that we'd all get a laugh out of it, and it would endear my to them a bit more. I thought we'd connect by laughing at some of these posts, they'd think I was cool for showing it to them, and maybe I'd get a little closer to finally having my own seat at the table.

But I was completely blindsided when my uncle told me "You know, this guy reminds me of me, back when I was trying to explain to people how important a domain name was... It didn't matter if it was .com or .concussion, once people realize the value, I just hope you've got a large enough collection to capitalize on it!"

Everyone else in the call said that .online makes a lot more sense than .com. "You know I never thought of it, but .com really doesn't mean anything. I know what online means. Hmmm.... Let me make some calls..."

If you check recent registrations of .online and you look for some recognizable brand names in there, you'll be able to verify that this story is true and that this call happened.

I asked my uncle if he thought that it was hoarding to buy up all these .online names, he called me an idiot for not being able to tell the difference, laughed, said "How is it hoarding if they're available to hand-register? That means nobody else wants them," then he kicked me out of the call, while everyone laughed at me.

A few days later, he called me back and told me had been running technical analysis on .online and so many of the same patterns and signals are showing up as existed in the early days of .com. He asked if I could get him in touch with TNG, but I thought that would be a conflict of interest and frankly I didn't want TNG to get all the credit, so I figured I'd have a good opportunity to work as a middleman here and gatekeep a bit. Thankfully, TNG's dm's are restricted so I don't have to worry about my uncle being able to get in touch with him, and he'll never figure out who my uncle is, so I'll be getting rich off this :).

My uncle has tasked me with assembling a portfolio of the best .online names that are available to buy, price is no object. He told me to find the best examples of .com names, and to buy them in .online, period, no matter what the price is.

I asked him for clarification this this didn't make sense, since some of the .online names are already being hoarded and priced close to the .com's. I said, "What if the .online costs more than the .com? Do you still want me to buy it?"

He just said, "Goddamnit, my boy, if the .online costs more than the .com that means it's happening sooner than I thought...!"

Now, I finally realize that this has NOTHING to do with .online being a cheaper alternative or trying to keep up with .com. That's the wrong paradigm to be operating in. This is about .online becoming the new gold standard. Comparing .online to .com has been a mistake since the start. Would you compare solid gold to rotten fish? For what purpose? Exactly.

We're currently working on an exchange where people will be able to trade-in their .com's for the .online version. Right now, it's a 1:1 to swap, but soon they'll have to pony up more and more cash as .online grows. Eventually, it'll basically be a recycling program, like when you buy a new mattress and they remove your old one as a courtesy. Buy a .online, and we'll take your trash .com off your hands as a courtesy.

Don't be surprised if "Mr. S" at Ogilvy is very hands-on in the campaign to promote this new exchange, by the way. That's the last hint!

And before you ask, TNG, no - you cannot be involved - I'm cutting you out. My uncle and his associates asked me to invite you to the next call, but I told them you weren't interested. I just can't risk it, because if they meet you, they'll have no use for me.

•••
We're currently working on an exchange where people will be able to trade-in their .com's for the .online version. Right now, it's a 1:1 to swap, but soon they'll have to pony up more and more cash as .online grows. Eventually, it'll basically be a recycling program, like when you buy a new mattress and they remove your old one as a courtesy. Buy a .online, and we'll take your trash .com off your hands as a courtesy.

It is illogical and you cant say that ( Buy a .online, and we'll take your trash .com off your hands as a courtesy ) !!!!
No body will exchange his/her valuable .com domain with .online version .
.COM is the king with proven sales records , and thats what matters .

By the way the domain valuable.online is offered for sale and no body intrested ! :ROFL:
but trash.com is taken and developed ! lol :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
lol Brad....we're suing all the deep pockets. The bigger they are the harder they fall:xf.wink:

Now back on topic....you don't seem to do any advertising or very little at best. If you need any advice you know who togoto.:xf.cool::xf.eek::xf.rolleyes::ROFL::xf.grin::xf.smile:
Rich, what kind of successes have you had with domain advertising? Could you tell us about some of the sales that have resulted from your ad campaigns?

•••
As someone who has worked incredibly closely with all sorts of digital agencies ranging from seo, social, and everything else OP listed (except "review management" which is more often than not a euphemism for something very unethical that I wouldn't associate with), and is intimately familiar with how they operate, I just want to say that I can tell this is going to end very well for all parties involved and seems like a very smart plan.

I'm glad this is a real thing that is happening with an advertising agency that definitely exists. As with all of the other big claims that TNG has made, there will be skeptics.

People want to act like there isn't one single example of anything he's ever spoken about actually happening, of any of these JV's and ventures coming to fruition. People want to act like this guy is just blowing hot air year after year and never actually putting in the work.

People want to say that TNG is a huge fraud who can't back up any of the claims he's made, who hasn't followed through on a single thing he's talked about, who loves to drop names to feel important, who is the textbook example of a wantrepreneur who loves to come up with idea after idea but never takes action on anything. A LOT of people want to say that, but I'd urge those people to think again.

It's hard to see new ideas and innovation that's taking place outside of the box, when you're stuck inside of the box (or stuck inside the Cube, as the case may be. Ahem.)

I recently called up my uncle, who founded one of the top digital agencies back in the '80s and played a major role in building the initial awareness for .com, despite all of the doubters early on. He couldn't GIVE AWAY names to people at first, that would sell for 500k today. They all thought he was crazy. Kinda reminds me of all the premium .online names that are still available to register for $1, don't you think? Even thought it's 2021 and everyone knows the value of a domain name today, you still can't give these things away. I call that an opportunity.

I showed some of TNG's posts to my uncle and his friends & business associates including the CEO of a fortune 500 company that exists almost entirely offline, a gentleman who owns a commodities exchange overseas, the CFO of one of the top web hosting brands in the world, a man who opened one restaurant in 1960 and now has over 1000 locations, a woman who is probably going to be the next billionaire that you haven't heard of yet thanks to a new low-calorie sweetener she invented after spending 7 straight years in a lab figuring it out, a Grammy-winning songstress... a real diverse group of people, to say the least! They get along because they all "get it".

Anyways, I broughjt up some of ThatNameGuy's posts with the impression that we'd all get a laugh out of it, and it would endear my to them a bit more. I thought we'd connect by laughing at some of these posts, they'd think I was cool for showing it to them, and maybe I'd get a little closer to finally having my own seat at the table.

But I was completely blindsided when my uncle told me "You know, this guy reminds me of me, back when I was trying to explain to people how important a domain name was... It didn't matter if it was .com or .concussion, once people realize the value, I just hope you've got a large enough collection to capitalize on it!"

Everyone else in the call said that .online makes a lot more sense than .com. "You know I never thought of it, but .com really doesn't mean anything. I know what online means. Hmmm.... Let me make some calls..."

If you check recent registrations of .online and you look for some recognizable brand names in there, you'll be able to verify that this story is true and that this call happened.

I asked my uncle if he thought that it was hoarding to buy up all these .online names, he called me an idiot for not being able to tell the difference, laughed, said "How is it hoarding if they're available to hand-register? That means nobody else wants them," then he kicked me out of the call, while everyone laughed at me.

A few days later, he called me back and told me had been running technical analysis on .online and so many of the same patterns and signals are showing up as existed in the early days of .com. He asked if I could get him in touch with TNG, but I thought that would be a conflict of interest and frankly I didn't want TNG to get all the credit, so I figured I'd have a good opportunity to work as a middleman here and gatekeep a bit. Thankfully, TNG's dm's are restricted so I don't have to worry about my uncle being able to get in touch with him, and he'll never figure out who my uncle is, so I'll be getting rich off this :).

My uncle has tasked me with assembling a portfolio of the best .online names that are available to buy, price is no object. He told me to find the best examples of .com names, and to buy them in .online, period, no matter what the price is.

I asked him for clarification this this didn't make sense, since some of the .online names are already being hoarded and priced close to the .com's. I said, "What if the .online costs more than the .com? Do you still want me to buy it?"

He just said, "Goddamnit, my boy, if the .online costs more than the .com that means it's happening sooner than I thought...!"

Now, I finally realize that this has NOTHING to do with .online being a cheaper alternative or trying to keep up with .com. That's the wrong paradigm to be operating in. This is about .online becoming the new gold standard. Comparing .online to .com has been a mistake since the start. Would you compare solid gold to rotten fish? For what purpose? Exactly.

Don't be surprised if "Mr. S" at Ogilvy is very hands-on in the campaign to promote this new exchange, by the way. That's the last hint!

And before you ask, TNG, no - you cannot be involved - I'm cutting you out. My uncle and his associates asked me to invite you to the next call, but I told them you weren't interested. I just can't risk it, because if they meet you, they'll have no use for me.

:xf.grin:

•••

Lol.....like a former member who use to write a 2,000 word essay railing about how I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm bad for the domain industry, I read just the first two paragraphs of your post. Why you waste so many valuable words on me is incomprehensible:xf.rolleyes:

•••

It is illogical and you cant say that ( Buy a .online, and we'll take your trash .com off your hands as a courtesy ) !!!!
No body will exchange his/her valuable .com domain with .online version .
.COM is the king with proven sales records , and thats what matters .

By the way the domain valuable.online is offered for sale and no body intrested ! :ROFL:
but trash.com is taken and developed ! lol :xf.wink:

Where are you getting your information? I never said .com isn't King, but I'm sorry if you got that impression. However I may have given you the impression that .online is heir apparent, or at a minimum an alternative extension to .com. Have you been paying attention when I said all my .online names are an "Exact Match" left of the .dot to way overpriced and unavailable hoards of .com's.

I want to thank you too because you're the kind of advertising for .online that no money can buy. God Bless my Son(y)

•••
Lol.....like a former member who use to write a 2,000 word essay railing about how I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm bad for the domain industry, I read just the first two paragraphs of your post. Why you waste so many valuable words on me is incomprehensible:xf.rolleyes:
I don't think he wrote it for your benefit, Rich. :)

•••
I don't think he wrote it for your benefit, Rich. :)
lol...oh, did I say he did? Your posts have unintended consequences as well. Thanks Joe for adding to my credibility. .Online and I appreciate all the free advertising.....heap it on(y)

•••
lol...oh, did I say he did? Your posts have unintended consequences as well. Thanks Joe for adding to my credibility. .Online and I appreciate all the free advertising.....heap it on(y)
I'm always happy to help advertise your degree of credibility, Rich!

•••
I'm always happy to help advertise your degree of credibility, Rich!
Joe...why don't you try getting back on topic? Here's what I asked when I first started this thread;

"Finally, for discussion purposes, have any of you worked with an ad agency to help promote your domains? If so, please share your experience as to why or why it didn't work. Thanks"

Instead of responding to my question you seem to want to go off in many different directions. First I clearly state that I just partnered with an ad agency then two days later you ask:

"Rich, what kind of successes have you had with domain advertising? Could you tell us about some of the sales that have resulted from your ad campaigns?"

What kind of line of questioning is that Joe? What in the world are you fishing for? You don't think anyone following NP doesn't know your agenda?

Then you and Brad ask;

"Rich, please keep us fully updated on the progress of your lawsuit. I think we're all very eager to hear how that turns out."

lol, like I'm going to keep you "fully" updated on the progress of my personal and our class action lawsuit. The only thing I'll share with you at this time is that you may be a witness. Again, I know I can't get any better advertising and my ad partner is just starting to get to know you.....carry on.

•••
Instead of responding to my question you seem to want to go off in many different directions.
It's annoying when people do that, isn't it?
"Rich, what kind of successes have you had with domain advertising? Could you tell us about some of the sales that have resulted from your ad campaigns?"

What kind of line of questioning is that Joe? What in the world are you fishing for? You don't think anyone following NP doesn't know your agenda?
You offered advertising advice to Brad. Generally, it's a good idea to be fully informed about someone you're taking business advice from. This includes having a good idea of their track record of success on the topic in question (in this case, advertising).

You're offering Brad advice on how to use advertising to sell domains. So I'm asking, why should he take advice from you? What successes have you had with this specific strategy that would encourage anyone to take your advice?

Then you and Brad ask;

"Rich, please keep us fully updated on the progress of your lawsuit. I think we're all very eager to hear how that turns out."

lol, like I'm going to keep you "fully" updated on the progress of my personal and our class action lawsuit.
I expected no less, Rich. Just like I never expect to hear any updates on the couple dozen other ventures you've promoted here (while mocking others for giving you constructive, useful feedback about the ideas).

My personal feeling about advertising your domains:
  • Can be effective if done right, and in a cost-effective way (i.e. do it yourself).
  • Not particularly useful unless you have a portfolio of high value .com names; or unless you're able to get ads for specific .com names in front of a targeted group of businesses/people.
  • Advertising your own ngTLDs is a sunk cost, like if I were to advertise my brand new line of VCRs. "Hey everyone, check out this amazing thing that no one is using!"
I think hiring an advertising firm is a waste of money unless you have your own marketplace and a very large portfolio. But of course you say you "partnered" with an advertiser... so you're implying, of course, that this person or company is super keen to invest time and money into this venture without any guarantee of payment.

And your partner is also eagerly watching our thread apparently? Maybe they would be so good as to jump into the discussion. I'd love to read their take. My guess is that we'll hear as much from them as we ever hear from your "partners".

If you really want to try advertising, try familiarizing yourself with FB and LinkedIn ad campaigns. Try using Twitter. There are members here who use those platforms very effectively; maybe they could give you some tips.

Last edited:
•••
It's annoying when people do that, isn't it?

You offered advertising advice to Brad. Generally, it's a good idea to be fully informed about someone you're taking business advice from. This includes having a good idea of their track record of success on the topic in question (in this case, advertising).

You're offering Brad advice on how to use advertising to sell domains. So I'm asking, why should he take advice from you? What successes have you had with this specific strategy that would encourage anyone to take your advice?

I expected no less, Rich. Just like I never expect to hear any updates on the couple dozen other ventures you've promoted here (while mocking others for giving you constructive, useful feedback about the ideas).

My personal feeling about advertising your domains:
  • Can be effective if done right, and in a cost-effective way (i.e. do it yourself).
  • Not particularly useful unless you have a portfolio of high value .com names; or unless you're able to get ads for specific .com names in front of a targeted group of businesses/people.
  • Advertising your own ngTLDs is a sunk cost, like if I were to advertise my brand new line of VCRs. "Hey everyone, check out this amazing thing that no one is using!"
I think hiring an advertising firm is a waste of money unless you have your own marketplace and a very large portfolio. But of course you say you "partnered" with an advertiser... so you're implying, of course, that this person or company is super keen to invest time and money into this venture without any guarantee of payment.

And your partner is also eagerly watching our thread apparently? Maybe they would be so good as to jump into the discussion. I'd love to read their take. My guess is that we'll hear as much from them as we ever hear from your "partners".

If you really want to try advertising, try familiarizing yourself with FB and LinkedIn ad campaigns. Try using Twitter. There are members here who use those platforms very effectively; maybe they could give you some tips.

Joe...another quiz for you and Brad. Lets say hypothetically you owned the following domains;

Medfirst.xxx
HavanaCigars.xxx
CigarImports.xxx

Oh Joe...you can pick any other extension besides .com. Joe, we're already familiar with Facebook and Linkedin marketing. Didn't you know?....and then there's Amazon and Shopify. Have you ever sold anything on Shopify?

Think "advertising" Joe. How would you advertise these names to get the maximum bang for your buck?
For Medfirst, would you sell to the medical markets, or would you look to market them to the pet and kennel industry? How would you get maximum exposure for these "keyword" rich domains? Assuming they're not .coms how would you price them assuming I gave them to you because you're a real nice guy?

In your portfolio would they be considered Premium domains? Why not?

Would you list them with a broker, or might you hook up with a professional ad specialist who could maybe add to your credibility? I wish I could give you a few more tips Joe, but this is all I have time for:xf.frown:

Joe....might you consider trying to sell the Cigar domains through PCA (Premium Cigar Association) or maybe CAA (Cigar Association of America). Does Canada have a cigar association?

Lets see what you got Joe? Inquiring minds would love to know:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
So Joe....here are a couple of companies I founded back in the seventies and eighties, and advertising was just one of the strategies I used to go from startup to multi million dollar companies today. Surely you're smart enough to check them out, and then use your research skills to see if I in fact started these companies.
Rich, I'm sure you're smart enough to know that no matter how many times you reference old business ventures, your skill at selling domain names will only ever be based on your past domain sales results.

•••
Joe...another quiz for you and Brad. Lets say hypothetically you owned the following domains;

Medfirst.xxx
HavanaCigars.xxx
CigarImports.xxx

Oh Joe...you can pick any other extension besides .com. Joe, we're already familiar with Facebook and Linkedin marketing. Didn't you know?....and then there's Amazon and Shopify. Have you ever sold anything on Shopify?

Think "advertising" Joe. How would you advertise these names to get the maximum bang for your buck?
For Medfirst, would you sell to the medical markets, or would you look to market them to the pet and kennel industry? How would you get maximum exposure for these "keyword" rich domains? Assuming they're not .coms how would you price them assuming I gave them to you because you're a real nice guy?

In your portfolio would they be considered Premium domains? Why not?

Would you list them with a broker, or might you hook up with a professional ad specialist who could maybe add to your credibility? I wish I could give you a few more tips Joe, but this is all I have time for:xf.frown:

Joe....might you consider trying to sell the Cigar domains through PCA (Premium Cigar Association) or maybe CAA (Cigar Association of America). Does Canada have a cigar association?

Lets see what you got Joe? Inquiring minds would love to know:xf.wink:
I'll gladly answer all these questions if you're seeking to have a discussion that consists only of respectful counter-arguments and evidence-based reasoning. Do you agree to that?

•••
Rich, I'm sure you're smart enough to know that no matter how many times you reference old business ventures, your skill at selling domain names will only ever be based on your past domain sales results.
I bet you don't even know the domains I've sold over the last six months and I've actually reported them here. A lot like you didn't know that I know Bob Hawkes, and consider him a friend. Who do you think you are? Am I suppose to report my sales to you or anyone else for that matter. Sufficeth to say, it's really none of your business...do you understand?....i'll repeat do you understand?

btw, I'm not promising or agreeing to a d*mn thing with regards to any of our discussions because I don't trust you one iota:xf.frown:

•••
I bet you don't even know the domains I've sold over the last six months and I've actually reported them here. A lot like you didn't know that I know Bob Hawkes, and consider him a friend. Who do you think you are? Am I suppose to report my sales to you or anyone else for that matter. Sufficeth to say, it's really none of your business...do you understand?....i'll repeat do you understand?
You mentioned three that you sold. The most recent was Skyline.homes, I believe. There was another with the word "arc" in it.

You don't have to share a thing with anyone, but it's foolish to not expect to be asked these things if you're offering people advice on selling domains, or claiming that you know what's best for the industry.

btw, I'm not promising or agreeing to a d*mn thing with regards to any of our discussions because I don't trust you one iota:xf.frown:
Then why bother asking me the questions? Stop wasting your time. Go make something happen.

Last edited:
•••
Back