IT.COM

Does Estibot Value have any impact on domain Valuation

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi Guys & Gals, i just wish somebody could tell if Estibot should be used by newbie as one of the metric defining the true value of a domain. If yes, what would be the % 1, 2 or 10%. Hope all the answer will be reflected on my 151 domain which are on sale now.

Thanks

MANO:rolleyes:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Estibots dollar appraisal is next to useless since it works purely on maths...plus it takes into account domains that were sold 10 years ago and are not a true reflection.

Use it not to make a buy or sell offer but simply a way to know that you may want to research further.

When looking at 1000+ domains at the same time having a number that evokes an emotional state is essential otherwise your eyes would glaze over.

•••
I think there is none of those automated tools can provide a good enough results.. They often over-evaluate the domain name value in my opinion.

•••
The thing about sites like Estibot is that they want to create some buzz amongst people by assigning factual values.

•••
The value itself in Estibot does not mean much, however normally a domain with a high estimated value is at least worth a closer look.

Brad

•••
The value itself in Estibot does not mean much, however normally a domain with a high estimated value is at least worth a closer look.

Brad

I agree, I would not go by estibot for determining a price. However, if estibot returns a high value I would definitely take a closer look as to why. It is probably the most used free appraisal tool. I personally generally use estibot to determine certain factors (not value). You got to remember that it is only a software and cannot be trusted to determine true value. Value is typically gained in the eyes of the beholder.

For example, ????????.com may be worth only $50.00 on estibot but to another person that has been wanting that domain or keyword it may be worth $2,000.00. :cy:

Last edited:
•••
Not always higher appraisals, but it sometimes give lower appraisals for short or vanity domains as it is more keywords based?

•••
It can be a very useful tool, but only as an "ESTIMATE" and an estimate of potential value. Here is how I use it as a tool:

- A domain that Estibot thinks is worthless may have value for the right buyer, but it may be very hard to find that buyer. If you are trying to decide between two domains and one is $0 and one is $500 buying the domain with an estimate of $500 may make sense. But if you have a feeling that the $0 may sell, then get that one. As time goes on you will learn more and be able to tell when to go against Estibot's advice.

- If a domain has an estimate of over $1,000 then you should get it because there is a good chance you can put it up for sale here on NamePros and sell it for $5, maybe even $20. But maybe not.

- If a domain has an estimate of $2,000 to $5,000 then buy that domain. There is a very good chance that you can sell it for $30, maybe even $35.

- Watch some sales threads here or other sites like DNJournal.com and put domains that have sold into Estibot. See what prices look like to actual sales prices. This will give you an idea how much you can trust what Estibot says.

•••
It can be a very useful tool, but only as an "ESTIMATE" and an estimate of potential value. Here is how I use it as a tool:

- A domain that Estibot thinks is worthless may have value for the right buyer, but it may be very hard to find that buyer. If you are trying to decide between two domains and one is $0 and one is $500 buying the domain with an estimate of $500 may make sense. But if you have a feeling that the $0 may sell, then get that one. As time goes on you will learn more and be able to tell when to go against Estibot's advice.

- If a domain has an estimate of over $1,000 then you should get it because there is a good chance you can put it up for sale here on NamePros and sell it for $5, maybe even $20. But maybe not.

- If a domain has an estimate of $2,000 to $5,000 then buy that domain. There is a very good chance that you can sell it for $30, maybe even $35.

- Watch some sales threads here or other sites like DNJournal.com and put domains that have sold into Estibot. See what prices look like to actual sales prices. This will give you an idea how much you can trust what Estibot says.

ah that could be tricky, because estibot will use the sales figures and reevaluate the domain to exactly the sales price. Which in my opinion is a flaw in the estibot appraisal system. An appraisal in general is the price the should two educated people that know the market would agree on and not the actually price that was paid.

•••
I think it is useful in giving a very rough estimate of value for a domain name, Valuate.com as well. I have never believed any appraisal "service" is such a great thing. You can get a much better idea of the value of your domains by getting a response in the appraisal forum here. Not price wise exactly, But if you post a DN, and it receives a lot of attention with such quotes as " Nice name" and the such. The people have spoken so to speak, If domainers like your name pretty well, chances are you have winner one way or the other, be it flip sale or end user sale.

•••
Estibot can also be a good value when selling to end users because of its high estimations. If you look up previous end user sales estibot puts good values on them. If a name is up above $1000 on estibot I will take a look at it.

I use it mostly when I scan a huge list of domains and see if any are worth my time. I also use it to pick which domains to develop into minisites first.

•••
•••
is only a tool, it just gives you an idea of the value of the domain,,, I'm thinking that the algorithm for all these site that price domains, is different,... it all comes down to the word (s), letters or numbers...

•••
Estibot evaluation does not impact directly but you can see other metrics which gets displayed along with domain price.

And along with Estibot also check past aftermarket sales ( namebio.com / dnpric.es ) for learning and better evaluating domain yourself.

•••
Yes it does to some extent. If etibot gives some domain some value, it may have some attraction but it does't count everytime.
My simple rule of thumb (estibot value/ 6 to 10 = your domain value), this is true only for com n net mostly.
Estibot doesn't give any value to innovation, by innovative I mean brandable kind of domains.
At the end of the day it all depends on seller how he/ she market for selling. Only End user will give you real deal.
I hope it will help you.

•••
I think estibot.com is not a correct evaluation for pricing domain names. I searched high and low to figure out the best way to arrive at some price of a name and I think having an expert appraiser or broker take a look at the name for you could give you some direction. Even they may not know the true value. One way to know your name is valuable is when your name is: single word, generic and a rich keyword(s). I also think the market would be the only way to value a domain name. So, like me, I register rich generic keywords knowing they have more value then I paid and that's the art of the game.

The flip side this is the fact of someone willing to pay any amount or has a no budget, to acquire a desired name. That could make you (the one that holds the desired name) own a valuable domain name.

My answer would be that their is no quick way to click a button and arrive at a value for a name. It does bring you a step closer to getting the intrinsic value of a domain name but not an exact value.

•••
Recently, I just found a domain name which was listed in Aftermarket, it's a .Net. So then after, I go to Estibot, They valuated the domain name for almost $20000.
But what about the .Com Name which can be valuable than the .Net? $1200 Estibot Value.

You have to take always The Estibot Value at Your own RISK!!! Some domains are over valuated and others are good in Value.

•••
To be candid, there is no appraisal search engine that can give you the true value of your domain name.
I have carefully checked many appraisal search engines including estibot to discover non uniform
valuations. Therefore do not be fooled. All is a game of guess work. Your registration fee is their target.

If a buyer agrees to buy my domain name at $15000, will it not sound ridiculous for a so-called appraisal search engine to value same domain at $350 ????????

For your notice, NEGOTIATION is among the determinant factors of your domain value. Whatever price
you and your buyer finally agrees in closing a deal of your domain sale, such price is of no doubt the value
of your domain. My suggestion is that you list your domains at fair prices to draw attention of buyers.

•••
Estibot is a joke. It's used by lowballer buyers as a negotiating tool.

•••
Although radio test is the real test, every good domain should pass, but in many cases, I found that some buyers are always looking for domain names with high CPC and trending keywords, in this case, Estibot appraisal tool is good for both buyers and sellers. But most Brandable domains cannot be evaluated with Estibot or any other appraisal tool.

If you want to buy brandable or high Estibot domains for your new blog or website check Flippa.com, Godaddy Auctions

If you want to buy high Estibot domains for Flipping or Selling then use Estibot Domain Idea Tool or Search Fiverr for Gigs providing high value available domain names or suggestions.

•••
I think that both Estibot and GoValue should be consulted, but as many others have posted you need to weigh the information and sometimes one or both will be totally wrong (sometimes low, often high).

It is important to realize what each stresses. For Estibot they place emphasis on how many TLDs of the domain are taken, popularity of the search term, the CPC and ad competition, etc. as well as previous sales. It depends on your potential purchaser if that emphasis is important. Estibot for these reasons really favours English (or other) dictionary words that are short and heavily searched. I have found they don't handle most "brandable" words as well (but that is clearly hard to do!), unless that word has already sold in one extension.

If using the new beta Estibot, I have found they have mistakes saying extensions are available when they clearly are not. As a result they make a domain value low.

For GoValue they really stress if that exact word in a different extension has sold for a high price. That is if xyzabc.com went for more than $25,000 then they will say that xyzabc.net .org and the new gTLDs are also valuable. They don't discriminate much between extensions which is a flaw. Estibot on the other hand seems to with country code and new gTLDs have an almost binary choice and is super harsh on some extensions in a way that does not seem warranted.

I would not discount a name because both value it low, IF you can look at the methodology and see why they valued it low, and feel that the name is still valuable.

I would not buy a domain ONLY because they both value it highly, but as others say, it warrants a closer look.

One value of the tools is the information they provide beyond the value. You can see comparable domain sales on GoValue that are not in the Namebio database in many cases. The search/ad statistics from Estibot are helpful.

In the world of AI, even current technology, automated tools could be much better than they are. Things like how well a domain matches the TLD, and how often two words work together, could be programmed much better. It would be good if a major AI strong company like IBM or Google built a new generation AI tool. I think the GoValue competition will force Estibot to evolve and improve, and that is good. Right now I view the two as roughly equally good/bad.

Keep in mind that values are not static. As has been mentioned, Estbot at least sometimes adjusts new values to sales prices, which is justifiable but means if you buy a domain at a great price Estibot may soon say that bargain price is the value of the domain (if you don't manage to keep it private). GoValue have not yet at least adjusted worth of some of the big sales last month - e.g. they still say home.loans is worth $1600 although it sold for $500,000. I can't prove it but I suspect that GoValue prices are influenced by BIN prices on the Afternic network.

For what its worth (not much perhaps!), I have valued my entire portfolio using both Estibot and GoValue. There are 184 domain names in the portfolio, and if I count <$100 as $0 for GoValue estimates (perhaps harsh) the total GoValue worth of the portfolio is $94,311 and the total Estibot valuation is $84,500. My BIN prices for the same portfolio total $22,238, and I would probably on average happily accept about half of that or a bit less. Note this is updated from a previous post a few weeks ago, and this one includes only those domains currently in my portfolio, not ones I have sold or looked at - in total I have done both Estibot and GoValue on about 400 domain names and may do an analysis on them all at some point.

While it is tempting to seek a factor like 5% or 10% of Estibot value, I don't think that it is possible to give a useful single factor. You should not count on always getting 5% of Estibot, but nor will it always make sense to sell at less than full Estibot/GoValue. Some names Estibot says are $0 I would not sell for less than $100, many that both say are the order of $1000 or more I would happily sell for $50.

I think both tools do best on domain names in the $$$ range. Estibot should not try to distinguish $10 from $80 and simply say <$100 like GoValue. GoValue should not give a precise value like $1231.

GoValue (in beta) seems to have now settled down to more steady prices - it jumped around more in the first weeks after its release. Overall I would rate GoValue at B+ and Estibot at B, both worth using with caution, but both could be improved. Different weaknesses, but overall about equal in overall value. The fact that GoDaddy sell domain names is a conflict of interest, as others have pointed out, although I suppose same as art auction prices predicting a range for a piece of art going to sale.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I don't think there is any thing like that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back