IT.COM

question When a domain has a $0 Estibot value...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Vivi

Established Member
Impact
... does that necessarily mean it has no resale value (beyond reg fee)?

I've started reading on the forum and know that a domain is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I realize also that a high Estibot value isn't necessarily an indicator that the domain name is actually worth that price. Keywords, traffic, etc all factor into it, but at the end of the day the Estibot value is just one indicator of price, and not always an accurate one.

But in the converse situation, a domain with a $0 Estibot value, does that necessarily mean it has no resale value beyond reg fee? I'm asking because I have a 2 word phrase .com domain from a blog I started which is minimally-developed and has an Estibot value of $0. I'd like to auction off the domain, but am I correct in assuming that no-one would want it with a current Estibot value of $0? Or does the phrase itself matter? Any insights?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Should Estibot be the next 'newbie' idol to be checked? YES. Please don’t rely on bots with instant valuation. It's a sucker machine and I am ashamed of any professional endorsing such a product.

•••
I've done some research on Estibot and sold names for $500 - $1500+ on 0 value, so I personally know its a gimmick.

But it's catching the beginners from signing up to the needless tools aswell as the fake estimate tool.

And we know where the service is promoted.

•••
I appreciate the answer, @Kate, and the level of experience you bring to it. Yes, I feel that I want to understand and learn a little more before I do anything. I can see from the very short time I've been here that domaining is not as easy as it seems, like you said.

It also occurred to me that for this minimally-developed domain name of mine, I could possibly just build a new site on it instead of selling it.

My main motivation for selling this domain is partly to get experience in the selling process, and partly as an alternative to simply letting the domain expire. I'm coming in with a background in blogging and site management, and I always seem to wind up with more domains / sites than I can reasonably keep up with development-wise - although it's a very tiny portfolio compared to what domainers have. I'm not ruling in or out a future for myself in domaining... I'm here to learn more first.

Probably I will read more and learn more and then try to see about selling the domain name. If there isn't any interest, I can always build a new site on it (of course, it would become yet another site that I'd have to keep up with, so I'd be back to square one again...!)

Last edited:
•••
And we know where the service is promoted
@Howie - I'm a newbie, so my first reaction was "?" - and then I googled to find out where the Estibot service is promoted, which soon became very clear... thank you for the heads-up. I really appreciate all the warnings about this that I've received. I would never make any buying decisions based on that value, but I did have some concerns as to whether that would play into things from a selling point of view.

I'm glad to hear that the Estibot value is something that most experienced domainers don't take note of.

Of course, my domain may not have any saleable value anyway, but if it doesn't sell, it'll be due to its own merits (or lack thereof!) and not because of whatever Estibot estimates it to be.

Overall I'm leaning more toward trying to sell the domain, but not this minute - I realize I need to learn more about that in general. Also I need to find out more about domains that might be similar to mine (i.e. that have similar factors to mine) and what they have actually sold for recently, like some respondents have suggested.

Thank you all. I am so grateful for all the help I have received.

•••
@Vivi Hi, no problem. I was 'sold' it as a newbie myself and know the feeling. I even subscribed for a while until I found hacks online that did the same as the paid subscription. All the best.

•••
I don't have a subscription to Estibot and I won't be getting one, that's for sure, based on what I have learned here.

But without everyone's warnings I probably would have thought that Estibot was more important/accurate than it really is. So I very much appreciate the guidance from everyone.

As a newbie with a tiny portfolio and blogging background, I'd just been using the free guest version of Estibot that lets me check up to 5 a day for free. But I don't think I'll really even bother checking my domains with that anymore after what I've learned here.

•••
can you provide examples for manual estimation and methods? thanks.

Greetings,

EstiBot = EstiNot

One of the most basic ways is to explore the possibilities of value is based on Ggle's Search count tools (Adwords' Keyword Tool).

Type in a word or phrase, look at the searches per month, the suggested bids etc.. With an understanding of math and percentages you can determine approximately what a "perfect" name may bring in in monthly revenue. "Perfect" meaning one word, top of the search results etc..

Simplest terms: If you used Ggl's Adsense ads on your site, and advertisers were paying $1 per click to Ggl for their services and 1000 people a month steadily clicked those ads, the site would "generate" $1000.00 monthly in advertising. Granted you would only get a small percentage because you get a cut from Ggl.

But in the basic big picture the site generates $12k per year steadily. You can calculate a rough sales price based on a 1-10 yr basis and the strength and longevity of the site's topic. Trend based niche sites, unless they are an "expanding" and ever evolving niche, don't carry that much weight for long term investors. But to an "end user" would fair better.

Bottom line, a name is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. ;)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

WPM

•••
This whole thread should be titled: estibot OR not!

It's very telling that none of its promoters - established domainers flogging it on their blogs, interviews, etc. has came out yet and spelled out their opinion...

•••
It's very telling that none of its promoters - established domainers flogging it on their blogs, interviews, etc. has came out yet and spelled out their opinion...

Probably, because it is common knowledge :)

•••

Or estiWHAT ?????????

The values can be a little wide of the mark to say the least. I still check the values although I work on a ball park figure of 1/10 of the eBot value. It tends to be nearer the mark !

Just one thing -- valuate.com lets you check 20 domains a day for a one of payment of $20. It uses eBot to value and offers a cheaper alternative if you are a hobby dom like me and still reference the service.

Best,
Paul

•••
One of the most basic ways is to explore the possibilities of value is based on Ggle's Search count tools (Adwords' Keyword Tool).
Thanks, @WPM , that is a really good point. I'd been using the Adwords Keyword Tool to help optimize sites I had already developed (and to guide my development of my undeveloped domains), but I can see from what you're saying that I should have also been using it as a way to get a feel of the value of a domain name.

Thank you for this valuable advice.

•••

Good point, @80-20 - there is ample opportunity for any established domainers who support Estibot to have spoken out about why, yet no-one has - I agree that this is very telling.

•••
I'm a newbie, so my first reaction was "?" - and then I googled to find out where the Estibot service is promoted, which soon became very clear... thank you for the heads-up. I really appreciate all the warnings about this that I've received

Not saying that the show isn't good, because it's great.

•••
I've started reading on the forum and know that a domain is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Its a crap line i always heard on the domaining forums.

how a seller know how much a buyer will pay for this without putting in the auction? And to put in the auction he has to purchase it so whats the point of this line ??

•••
I just ran a check on some number domains: 8883.com $920 and 88833.com $15. If you could a 5N .com for $15 then investors wouldn't be paying $120+ for a 6N .com. More proof that estibot should not be taken for it's word.

•••
Not saying that the show isn't good, because it's great.
@Howie - thanks for clarifying. I had actually started doubting whether the show was any good (because of Estibot). Maybe their logic was show=good therefore people might think Estibot=good.
But I had started thinking Estibot=inaccurate, therefore show=bad?? Glad to hear that the show has good points.

Last edited:
•••
how a seller know how much a buyer will pay for this without putting in the auction? And to put in the auction he has to purchase it so whats the point of this line ??
@vd90 , Thank you for responding to my question. I am wondering if we may have misunderstood each other? By using that line, I did not mean to imply that I can read the buyer's mind. I meant that if I have a domain that Estibot estimates at $x,xxx but if I get a bunch of offers for $xxx for it, then the domain is probably really only worth $xxx and not the higher amount that Estibot estimated. In my original post I was trying to say I was aware of that fact, before continuing on to ask my question about low/zero valuation domains.

So, that's what I was intending to mean by that, but if my reasoning was wrong or only applies to certain cases, or if you or someone else has another angle on it, please definitely feel free to correct me. I am a beginner who is trying to learn from those of you with more experience, so you should all feel free to weigh in with your thoughts on the matter.

•••
@domainivate - thanks for using some examples, that was helpful.

•••

I've started reading on the forum and know that a domain is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Hi

don't even take that, as a fact or a blanket statement.

why?

because who is that someone and at what point in time, are you selling?

and if you sell to that someone today and they resell to another next year, for more than they bought from you....

then what was or is, that name really worth?

imo...

•••
Esitbot (and other appraisal tools) can be helpful, but don't rely on automated appraisal tools for pricing. You need to put in the time and learn the ropes of the industry (buying/selling, what makes a good name, current trends/demands, etc.) so that you will know if a domain has any value or not. Don't know why every one is bashing estibot, it has it's place and can help at times.

•••
Appraisal section in namepros is much more effective then any other crap tool
Its better to consider appraisal by any establish member then a newbie

•••
I just ran a check on some number domains: 8883.com $920 and 88833.com $15. If you could a 5N .com for $15 then investors wouldn't be paying $120+ for a 6N .com. More proof that estibot should not be taken for it's word.
Most likely the market is moving faster than Estibot valuation formula can be updated. Where were NNNN and NNNNN values just a few months ago?

You need to understand the limitations of an algorithm. As a math major I can tell you that a model only goes so far.

If I asked Frank Schilling for his opinion on NNNN or NNNNN domains a month ago versus today, most likely both answers would be "off the mark" of real market values.

So let's not get our panties in such a bunch. Every tool and opinion is just one data point. Take it for what it is.

•••
Gonna add this to the thread.

Domain value = Price vendor will sell for + Price buyer will pay + Agreement on price + Money in bank & domain 'pushed' = Domain value ;)

Best,
Paul

•••
Relying on EstiBot only for names of a High Value is a complete gamble..

I have had several domains that were EstiBot Valued at $700+ and these did not even sell.

One example GrummanAircraft.com valued @ $900 and still has not sold.

If your new here your best bet is being creative and thinking up 2/3 word Brandable names, also find a popular niche before creating the name, if there is much interest in the niche area your brandanble domain fits in, even if EstiBot values the domain at 0 it could still be worth a lot more to someone creating a site in that niche.

In my case their obviously was not a big demand for people setting up an info or sales site about Grumman Aircraft :(

You learn from your mistakes, and that allows you too improve next time around, so don't let the EstiBot get you down! :)

•••
You learn from your mistakes, and that allows you too improve next time around, so don't let the EstiBot get you down!

Agreed ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back