IT.COM

GoDaddy's "Valuation" number...does it mean anything?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello, I have been browsing the Godaddy.com expiring auctions. I have several questions the first being on the "valuation" number Godaddy has listed on these auctions.

Here are some examples of traffic numbers versus valuation:

Traffic Valuation
Auction 1 773 $16,506

Auction 2 27,970 $1569

Can the valuation number given be considered legitimate and if so why would you not get this domain and park if it is fairly inexpensive?

Thank you as always the knowledge shared here is great.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, why wouldn't you and everyone else? I have not see the valuation number but I suspect it's like getting an Estibot.com appraisal. It's a guide that can help you find what you want, but it's not something you want to base a purchase on.

Don't they have something on their site about that figure? It may be the value of the domain keywords times the traffic they see while parked with them or the number of searched done per month. No matter what, it'd going to be a poor indicator of what you might get from parking. Even more so since all parking services are very different.

Lastly, since Godaddy has a parking service, would it not make sense for them to KEEP any domain that can earn more from parking than it can from selling...? At the very least they would up the price if the domain was really worth more than the reg fee. I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

•••
Just a follow-up on this post. The first domain I referred to that had a valuation number over 16k is now bid up and over $400. At the time I posted it was sitting at $15. It just made sense to me that a domain at $15 with a valuation of over 16K would be a good buy. But who knows. I have many questions about Godadday and what I see on there....For Instance:

I selected most active from Godaddy auction and added in .mobi for "contains" and I see MANY 3 letter .mobi domains with 1 bid for $10,000 - $50,000 price ranges.

Are these auctions really happening. Is someone really paying $50,000 for ahe.mobi ?

I don't know if I believe all auctions shown on Godaddy's website...I guess I am skeptical. It benefits Godaddy greatly to present a "thriving" damain auction market.

Has anyone else had their doubts about these auctions?

•••
Just a follow-up on this post. The first domain I referred to that had a valuation number over 16k is now bid up and over $400. At the time I posted it was sitting at $15. It just made sense to me that a domain at $15 with a valuation of over 16K would be a good buy. But who knows. I have many questions about Godadday and what I see on there....For Instance:

I selected most active from Godaddy auction and added in .mobi for "contains" and I see MANY 3 letter .mobi domains with 1 bid for $10,000 - $50,000 price ranges.

Are these auctions really happening. Is someone really paying $50,000 for ahe.mobi ?

I don't know if I believe all auctions shown on Godaddy's website...I guess I am skeptical. It benefits Godaddy greatly to present a "thriving" damain auction market.

Has anyone else had their doubts about these auctions?

about those .mobi domains u saw
i think maybe u a bit confuse coz of godaddy auction interface
not all the domains there are on auction , big part of them are on offer/counter offer base and the bid that u saw is probably just someone who made an offer, possible even for 20 bucks
go daddy write it as a bid

Last edited:
•••
When I first entered the world of domaining the GoDaddy "recommended selling prices" led to me buying a LOT of crappy domains. After seeing price ranges of $400-$600 on what I know now are absolutely garbage domains I registered more of the same - some even recommended for sales of >$1K. At the time I was too naive to know better, but I wanted to chip in here so that others won't make the same mistake!

PS. This is regarding the recommended selling range and NOT the official paid appraisals.

•••
Thank you for the replies. I see now that the bid number is highlighted and clickable on those domains that are being auctioned and those $50,000 1 bid domains Liror mentioned above are not clickable.

Yes, I am guilty of buying a few bad domains, paying for an appraisal from godaddy and thinking they would sell. As I said in my above post, it benefits Godaddy to make people think they just registered a domain and its worth $1000 because then they buy other godaddy services for that domain like auction enhancements.

I am still learning but I now check estibot for stats, do some comparing and still realize that estibot is just a reference and no where near an actual sell price.

•••
Godaddy's "Valuation" number...does it mean anything?

Yep. More bucks to Godaddy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back