NameSilo

question When a domain has a $0 Estibot value...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Vivi

Established Member
Impact
... does that necessarily mean it has no resale value (beyond reg fee)?

I've started reading on the forum and know that a domain is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I realize also that a high Estibot value isn't necessarily an indicator that the domain name is actually worth that price. Keywords, traffic, etc all factor into it, but at the end of the day the Estibot value is just one indicator of price, and not always an accurate one.

But in the converse situation, a domain with a $0 Estibot value, does that necessarily mean it has no resale value beyond reg fee? I'm asking because I have a 2 word phrase .com domain from a blog I started which is minimally-developed and has an Estibot value of $0. I'd like to auction off the domain, but am I correct in assuming that no-one would want it with a current Estibot value of $0? Or does the phrase itself matter? Any insights?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
eYWaZR4.png

•••
I learned that pretty much all estimations are worthless. Johnny Boy Roy could pay $900 for your domain and Suzy McGoosy could have no interest in buying the domain whatsoever. An automated algorithm virtually has no control over individual buyer discretion.

•••
Bottom line, a name is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. ;)

I've started reading on the forum and know that a domain is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Its a crap line i always heard on the domaining forums.

how a seller know how much a buyer will pay for this without putting in the auction? And to put in the auction he has to purchase it so whats the point of this line ??

A very simple answer... the moment you say "SOLD". That's when you know how much someone will pay or it's value at that moment. Auction or not. Whether you get paid... is another story. ;)

I have read quite a few threads saying "buyer didn't pay", "escrow didn't close" etc, etc..

The true resale is not "auctions". It's RESEARCH. The category of the name, the companies that service that category, their income, profits etc.. and sell it to them or make sure they know it's on that auction and why they want and need it.

Set your price (private sale) roughly 20% over your internal (the voice that speaks in your head) BIN number to give them a chance to "feel good" because they knocked off a couple bucks negotiating. ;)

You don't have to sell, unless it's a crap name that's weighing you down with reg fees for years without development or income. And by then... drop time.

I would like to know how many "end users" (not resellers who know the end users because they did the research) truly buy on any of the auction platforms... not many I bet, which is why they have "brokers". Of course you get a little broker when you use a broker... but industry knowledge is key.

Hope that made my thought process clear when I made my previous statements.

Regards,

WPM

•••
@NPer - thanks, that was fun!

@Aten - good points, thanks.

@WPM - beautifully clear, thanks.

I really appreciate all the input everyone is giving from all angles. As a newbie this helps me a lot.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back