IT.COM

Do not use HostPapa.com - They do not follow ICANN rules

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
Hostpapa.com has been ABUSING icann rules. They purposely without permission put in admin contact their email address and contact info. Then when you try to change it, they do not update ICahn whois database so you can NOT transfer the name out. They are using this technique to force you to renew names with them.
It’s because they never updated their system for the VeriSign thick WHOIS transition: https://www.icann. org/resources/pages/thick- whois-transition-policy-2017- 02-01-en.
They are abusing Icahn policy in order to get renewals.
### If u had nightmare experience with hostpapa.com please post in this thread###
THIS ABUSE HAS TO STOP.
I hope ICANN people reading this. Why hostpapa gets away with this type of abuse??? Why they are not following the rules like other registars? Why they playing these dirty games in order to stop u from transfering names out?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for PSA, won't be using them

•••
Where is Icahn admins? Can someone help?

•••
Another insane thing about this registar. You can't push the name without their help. I been waiting 3 weeks now to push few names. They are refusing to do that as well. I have no idea if this is against icahn policy as well. YOU CANT PUSH NAMES AND U CANT TRANSFER THEM OUT. Its NUTS

•••
•••
•••
Yes I already filed a complaint using this form, but no response from icahn yet

•••
Yes thank you @ksusha64

I know this is why I cannot transfer your name to my uniregistry account. I will be awaiting for your news and hopefully hostpapa can explain this and make a change

thanks God.

•••
•••
Clear case of Tresspass to Chattels, if not actual conversion. This cybertort is recognized in most US jurisdictions.

•••
If they are ICANN Accredited, they cannot hold any domain beyond the 60 lock.

It is not uncommon that a registrar would only have manual push. Dotster is the same and several others. However, you should be able to navigate to your auth code. Once you have the auth code, you can initiate the transfer. They will not be able to deny the transfer.

Best of luck.

•••
If they are ICANN Accredited, they cannot hold any domain beyond the 60 lock.

It is not uncommon that a registrar would only have manual push. Dotster is the same and several others. However, you should be able to navigate to your auth code. Once you have the auth code, you can initiate the transfer. They will not be able to deny the transfer.

Best of luck.
They are refusing to let me transfer the name out because they do not update icann database of whois. Uniregistry cant match my contact info, and they put their own without my permission. This is all done to prevent transfers out. I been fighting it 3 weeks now. There is no lock on name of any kind.

•••
Uniregistry said they are breaking icann rules. They or I can't do anything to transfer the name out. Its a very dirty trick hostpapa is using.

•••
They are refusing to let me transfer the name out because they do not update icann database of whois. Uniregistry cant match my contact info, and they put their own without my permission. This is all done to prevent transfers out. I been fighting it 3 weeks now. There is no lock on name of any kind.
What happens when you change the contact information?

•••
It changes in hostpapa, but they dont update it in main icann whois. Also whois.com shows old data. Its hostpapa's fault. Even uniregistry stated they are refusing to update main whois database.

•••
Thanks for the info @ksusha64 .I put them into my blacklist not going to use them.

•••
Hmmm, I hope they resolve that. I don't have any with them.

I had concerns about ewallhost but it turned out excellent.

•••
Oh man.... thats were godaddy is a dream. They know how to charge but pushing in and out is super easy.

•••
dealing with Hostpapa now trying to transfer out to gaodaddy... we will see

•••
dealing with Hostpapa now trying to transfer out to gaodaddy... we will see
Let us know

I purchased 2 hostpapa names here @NamePros , and both names got problems in transferring to uniregistry

•••
I sent complaint to tucows.com. @omelet please send an email to [email protected] about this abusive situation. They can pressure hostpapa to follow ICANN rules

Last edited:
•••
After more digging, it appears that HostPapa is a reseller of PromoPeople - it might be that HostPapa used to be/ also still is a reseller of Tucows so maybe some domains are still under that umbrella? Or one or the other got bought out? https://webhosting.info/domain-registrar-statistics/promo-people-inc/839

HOWEVER, I also found this - which appears to me that the gaining registrar could choose to process the transfer manually, only using the Registrant info
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My registrar is listed as the Administrative Contact for my domain name and this is preventing my transfer from going through. What do I do?

If you are listed as the Registrant for the domain name, you can ask your new registrar of choice to send the required Form of Authorization to you rather than the Administrative Contact.

You can also update the data associated with the domain name and name a different Administrative Contact. Some registrars offer an online interface tool for you to manage this data yourself; others can make these updates if you contact their customer service.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2012-02-25-en
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What does not make sense is the whois on @ksusha64's domains has HostPapa as admin and tech, but @davin riera 's domains look to be fine - all info same as registrant. Did you have privacy turned on ever on any of these domains ksusha64?

My suggestion for future reference if anyone has a similar issue is to transfer to Epik - they have a transfer concierge service and you can request they verify ownership with the Registrant record rather than the Admin record. @Sarah@Epik @robepik - is the best advice to contact Epik support to get help with a difficult losing registrar?

•••
I had a similar problem with tucows/opensrs reseller once, and Tucows Domains Inc Compliance Officer was extremely helpful. I would not post his personal email address here, but it can be googled. Should be better, as domainabuse@ is likely about registrants abusing domains (not about resellers not following the rules). Alternatively, it might make sense to try to transfer the domain to hover dot com which is retail arm of tucows registrar, and submit a ticket to hover support (which is tucows) after the transfer fails, they will likely be able to fix the things internally.

As for promopeople - what is it, ICANN accredited registrar? Never heard of such a registrar. What registrar is shown in domain whois (registry whois?)

Last edited:
•••
The domains I looked up all had PromoPeople as Registrar and HostPapa as Reseller. Archive shows HostPapa active a lot longer, likely they were mainly a hosting company and used whatever reseller account over the years to provide domains.

Looks like PromoPeople started late 2015 and gained regs around Jan 2016 until present holding ~19K
01/04/2016 - 4 ; 01/11/2016 - 202 ; 06/19/2017 - 18,575
They must have run some promos last year this time there are gain spikes of a few thousand in their gain/loss

Anyone can register for webhosting,info it's free and useful, then you can see that full page I posted

OK from https://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accredited-list.html
Promo People, Inc. 2013 Canada
Registrar IANA ID: 1591 https://www.iana.org/assignments/registrar-ids/registrar-ids.xml

•••
New registrars each day... This promopeople registrar has their own domain promopeople.com registered with Godaddy, under privacy.
However:

as per https / / www internic net/registrars/registrar-1591.html :

Promo People, Inc.
5063 North Service Road
Suite 201
Burlington Ontario L7L 5H6
Canada
+1 905 315 3466
support at promopeople.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back