Dynadot

GoDaddy blames ICANN - ICANN FAQ says otherwise?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Hashim

Established Member
Impact
I have a few domains with GoDaddy, and because I've listed them at Dan.com I want to remove the lock on them to make sure that I'm able to quickly transfer them in the "less than 24 hours" that Dan.com advertise to clients on their landers.

I emailed GD at the change60 email to request that the transfer locks be waived. This was their response:

Greetings,

To transfer latestfooty.co.uk and latestfootie.co.uk, please email [email protected] and include the following information:

1. A specific request to transfer the domain name (include the full domain name in the request).

2. The IPS Tag name of your new registrar. (located at: http://www.nominet.uk/registrar-list/).

3. Account validation information:

• Customer Account Number or Username

• Your Support PIN

For more information on .UK domains, please visit: https://www.godaddy.com/help/about-uk-domains-5854

With regard to latestfootie.com,

latestfootie.com was registered on 3/14/2020 and is subject to a 60-day lock. This lock was placed by ICANN and we are unable to remove it.

With the exception of transferring between registrars during this lock period, you have full use of your domain, including hosting a website with a different provider.

For more information regarding ICANN transfer policies, please visit https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

In other words, they seem to be allowing the waive of the lock for the .co.uk domains but not the ICANN one, basically saying that it's ICANN's policy and they have nothing to do with it. However question 8 of this ICANN FAQ seems to specify that the 60-day transfer lock is in the power of the registrar, not ICANN:

You cannot transfer a domain name to a different registrar within 60 days of making changes to the registrant name, organization or email address (or the Administrative Contact email address, if there is no registrant email address). At their discretion, some registrars may provide an option for you to opt-out of this 60-day lock period. However, this rule is in place for your protection against unauthorized transfers and the registrar does not have to offer this option. If your ultimate goal is to transfer the domain name, you may want to consider completing the transfer process before changing your contact information.

So is GoDaddy lying to me here about their ability to waive the change of registrant lock, or have I misunderstood what ICANN are saying on this?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no registrar can wave it....its icann law
push to dan on gd
even faster
problem solved

•••
push to dan on gd

What do you mean by this? My domain is currently registered with GD but listed on Dan

•••
I think what he meant is that you can push the domain to DAN's GoDaddy account once sold - instant transfer!

•••
no registrar can wave it....its icann law
push to dan on gd
even faster
problem solved

Only if the domain is under 60 days old.

Most of the other registrars waived this ridiculous “60 day” bs unless you’re one of the fossil relic dinousar companies or godaddy.

I know @Joe Styler loves to invoke ICANN when in actuality, many registrars waive this, btw doesnt help “safe” just “safely” kills liquidity “60 days lock” bs.

60 day lock is worst thing about industry to me.
Get with the times, @Joe Styler, @Paul Nicks,
Just delaying inevitable fall of your monopoly.
That’s why i believe you make us go through hoops and flames to waive 60 day lock.

I dont believe Uni did this 60 bs, not many do, unless you are like your role-models Net Sol?

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Hopefully they will adapt to get rid of this, it's a shame though that so many people believe in gd, I only deal with them for that reason, because some end users dont use the other ones and ive missed out before cause of the lock

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back