Dynadot

advice Developing a domain portfolio aimed at end users

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domain invest3r

Pinyin domains for saleEstablished Member
Impact
All,

I am gradually developing a domain portfolio, as a newcomer to this. Having spent some time (not much to be honest!) deciding on my domaining strategy I have concluded that I would build a small but diversified portfolio of domains, develop one or two of them into fully fledged websites, and list the rest of the domains on my online portfolio. I had a few specific questions as below. Hopefully discussion on these points will help others.
  • adverts- is it advisable to put links to websites you are affiliates to (to generate extra income)? If yes, who (registrars, hosting companies etc.?) Are there any potential issues in doing this?
  • size of portfolio- I plan on starting off with a focussed and small portfolio. This is mainly due to renewal cost. Is this done much? I see many portfolio websites with LOADS of domains and most of the time if I am honest they don't look very strong, albeit to my inexperience eye, but I am wondering whether this quantity over quality has reason?
  • target- as mentioned in the title, I am hoping my targets to be end users and not particularly domainers. Has anyone seen/built successful domain portfolios targeted to end users? And if so, how did you manage to get end user taffic?
Grateful for any advice!

DI

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The domain market has become marginalized by the proliferation of hundreds of new extensions. Meanwhile end users (generally speaking) place little value on domain names relative to how much they spend on other normal operating expenses. So I would suggest considering what you are passionate about, whether the idea of launching a business around that concept might interest you, acquire a suitable domain name for that business concept and don't waste your money acquiring domain names for resale. The reality is there are far more people who lose money investing in domain names than there are who actually make a living from it.

•••
The domain market has become marginalized by the proliferation of hundreds of new extensions. Meanwhile end users (generally speaking) place little value on domain names relative to how much they spend on other normal operating expenses. So I would suggest considering what you are passionate about, whether the idea of launching a business around that concept might interest you, acquire a suitable domain name for that business concept and don't waste your money acquiring domain names for resale. The reality is there are far more people who lose money investing in domain names than there are who actually make a living from it.

Thats a rather bleak outlook but I really appreciate your input. Are you saying there is no hope at all in domaining...!? I am seeing signs of encouragement particularly with Chinese investment and new tech. Patience is a virtue and I think a very important one in this game. Again, I do speak with limited experience.

•••
There are individuals who make money from domain investments but I would strongly recommend extreme caution, diligent research and placing limits as to how much you are willing to risk.

•••
I see investing in domains, more like, you buy a house in periferia and in about 20 years that periferia becomes a centre. Than the price increases of 10 or maybe 20 times. Just to give my impression. But inspite of that, it's a good way of investing your money, because you don't need to have a big amount of money. Returning to the topic, the portfolio idea, it seems good to me. We don't know for sure if we're goint to sell, but i think what we know for sure is that the prices go always up. In this sh@ty e-world, everyone has a phone, a number, an email adress etc.. Who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years everyone must have a domain name :D

•••
I see investing in domains, more like, you buy a house in periferia and in about 20 years that periferia becomes a centre. Than the price increases of 10 or maybe 20 times. Just to give my impression. But inspite of that, it's a good way of investing your money, because you don't need to have a big amount of money. Returning to the topic, the portfolio idea, it seems good to me. We don't know for sure if we're goint to sell, but i think what we know for sure is that the prices go always up. In this sh@ty e-world, everyone has a phone, a number, an email adress etc.. Who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years everyone must have a domain name :D

Yes there is definitely truth in your last point re everyone wanting/needing their own internet URL real estate one day. The only thing is, I am sure I have heard this for years from voices of the domain industry. What will change to make this fact true is what I am keen to understand.

DI

•••
All,

I am gradually developing a domain portfolio, as a newcomer to this. Having spent some time (not much to be honest!) deciding on my domaining strategy I have concluded that I would build a small but diversified portfolio of domains, develop one or two of them into fully fledged websites, and list the rest of the domains on my online portfolio. I had a few specific questions as below. Hopefully discussion on these points will help others.
  • adverts- is it advisable to put links to websites you are affiliates to (to generate extra income)? If yes, who (registrars, hosting companies etc.?) Are there any potential issues in doing this?
  • size of portfolio- I plan on starting off with a focussed and small portfolio. This is mainly due to renewal cost. Is this done much? I see many portfolio websites with LOADS of domains and most of the time if I am honest they don't look very strong, albeit to my inexperience eye, but I am wondering whether this quantity over quality has reason?
  • target- as mentioned in the title, I am hoping my targets to be end users and not particularly domainers. Has anyone seen/built successful domain portfolios targeted to end users? And if so, how did you manage to get end user taffic?
Grateful for any advice!

DI

Bump- would be grateful for any advice particularly re the point above in red. Namely, the pros and cons re posting affiliate links on your portfolio website.

DI

•••
Grateful for any advice!

DI

* i have used adsense and some affiliate links on my portfolio site since 2002

* i used to have a couple of thousand domains, now i have less than 500

* varied portfolio's, can cater to wider audiences, and whether you sell to an end-user or another domainer is irrelevant, if/when you get the amount you want. because domainers can be end-users too.

imo....

•••
* i have used adsense and some affiliate links on my portfolio site since 2002

* i used to have a couple of thousand domains, now i have less than 500

* varied portfolio's, can cater to wider audiences, and whether you sell to an end-user or another domainer is irrelevant, if/when you get the amount you want. because domainers can be end-users too.

imo....

Cheers biggie.

What was your experience using adsense/affiliate links? I have heard that the output from both can be marginal with the type of traffic to expect at the average domain portfolio website.

I have a relatively small portfolio (35+). Can I ask why the downsize?

DI

•••
Cheers biggie.

What was your experience using adsense/affiliate links? I have heard that the output from both can be marginal with the type of traffic to expect at the average domain portfolio website.

DI
Affiliate links will be fine, but with AdSense you will want to be careful so you don't get your account in trouble. Many people do this, but most of the time their site does not comply with Google's guidelines so they are dancing on glass when doing so.

Most of time there won't be enough traffic to make AdSense a viable choice anyway. Affiliate links are much better for this type of site, speaking from experience. Hosting and other website related services do well. I wouldn't recommend registrar ads as that's against your best interest if you want to sell a domain.

•••
Cheers biggie.

DI

adsense generates enough revenue to pay the costs of renewal and hosting fee's for domain/site, while the affiliate links are basically for added content.

i downsized thru the process of selling some and dropping others.

in an effort to put myself in a position, where the portfolio pays for itself via parking, adsense, other means of monetization.

imo...

•••
Affiliate links will be fine, but with AdSense you will want to be careful so you don't get your account in trouble. Many people do this, but most of the time their site does not comply with Google's guidelines so they are dancing on glass when doing so.

Most of time there won't be enough traffic to make AdSense a viable choice anyway. Affiliate links are much better for this type of site, speaking from experience. Hosting and other website related services do well. I wouldn't recommend registrar ads as that's against your best interest if you want to sell a domain.

Thanks ulterios, point noted- I had heard that affiliate links were not that lucrative a business unless you had tonnes of traffic. One post I read had someone claim he helped generate $220k worth of sales for a domain auctioning website then only receiving <$50 in affiliate money- surely that cant be right!?

Can I ask whether you currently have a portfolio site?

DI

•••
There are individuals who make money from domain investments but I would strongly recommend extreme caution, diligent research and placing limits as to how much you are willing to risk.
I agree 100% with garptrader
Be very careful.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back