IT.COM

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And to further clarify, it is possible to put "make offer" on the landers, but that means a 15% rather than 10% commission?

And thank you, Sedo, for finally presenting your voice to the forum here.

If you are not using a BIN OR Buy Now or Best offer option on your sedo sales lander or parking page, then the commission is 15%. But also in this scenario, if the buyer comes through the SedoMLS network, the commission will be 20%.

As a summary:

10% commission
if the domain is using BIN OR Buy Now or Best Offer plus using a sedo sales lander or parking layout plus the domain is sold through the Sedo marketplace directly.

15% commission if the domain is using Make offer or sold through a Sedo auction plus sold through the Sedo marketplace directly (you don't need to use Sedo Sales lander or park the domain with Sedo in this scenario)

20% commission applies in any case if the domain is sold through the SedoMLS network and not through the Sedo marketplace directly.

UPDATE:
We also offer a 3% commission for any external domain transfer. This applies if the domain is not listed for sale at Sedo OR if it's listed with Sedo, there are no open bids or ongoing negotiations and you found a buyer on your own. Then you can use the Sedo transfer service for 3% commission. You can find more about this service here: https://sedo.com/us/services/domain-transfer-service/external-transfer-order-page/

Please let us know if you have more questions on the commission structure, we're happy to help!

Last edited:
•••
Hey everyone, I'm feeling rotten with a chest infection that I've been fighting since last week (not great timing but no sympathy needed) so I'll likely be out of action for a couple of days. If you have any questions on the commission alignment, DM me and I'll respond when I can.

•••
Hey everyone, I'm feeling rotten with a chest infection that I've been fighting since last week (not great timing but no sympathy needed) so I'll likely be out of action for a couple of days. If you have any questions on the commission alignment, DM me and I'll respond when I can.
Sorry to hear about this, but thank you for letting the community know, so any delayed responses aren't misinterpreted. Heal up, buddy!

•••
It's not easy to make some money. It's all taken away by the registrar

•••
It's not easy to make some money. It's all taken away by the registrar
At least 15% is better than 25%, BUT, It wouldn't be surprising to me if more folks start settling for the 10% or less commission options.

•••
•••
@LaszloSchenk Can you ask the team at Dan to remove these payout fees after the February alignment changes? We know there are other payout methods but to charge extra on Credit card processing and Paypal payouts isn't very justifiable at 15%/25% commission.
This is a very valid point. The reason for Dan implementing the extra 2% credit card fee was because there wasn't enough profit for Dan since they charged only 9% commission. But now they'll be increasing their commission from 9% to 15% which gives them lots more profit. Therefore Dan should remove that extra 2% credit card charge. Will they be doing that?

•••
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you feel better soon.

With that said, GoDaddy is a company worth billions of dollars not some mom & pop operation.

It is not like they don't have the resources for someone to step in and address the concerns, on the largest domain forum by far.

Honestly, it is pretty silly how little engagement they have with the domain investment community in general.
This is something I have mentioned many times in the past.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
DAN got their popularity because of the 9% fee.
If not that 9% many people would never moved domains from other platforms to theirs and they would never became so popular.
Now this, what made them popular, is taken away and they became one of many, not standing out any more.
I am sure many people now looking for reputable alternatives.
I am definitely one of them.

Last edited:
•••
Don't forget you have to pay the taxes and other processing fees so it is like 40%
You are screwed big time

•••
Sorry to hear about this, but thank you for letting the community know, so any delayed responses aren't misinterpreted. Heal up, buddy!
What do you actually do for GoDaddy
How much do they pay you?
Are you fighting for the domainer or you just a spokesperson for the company?

•••
Dan and Sav were gonna take over the world. I guess Dan is now a registrar
My plan is to watch you all freak out and put sedo and escrow buttons on my lander due to commission increase.
Pro comment above mine 🤦

Edit: not all maybe 80% plus or minus 2 percentage points

Last edited:
•••
Are you asking If I work for GoDaddy?! Oh, my! I got a real chuckle out of that one.

No, I'm basically now virtually an ex-customer. You can read elsewhere on the forum the incidents that have prompted my moving away from them. This most recent commission increase to 25% simply further confirms my preference to go elsewhere. After more reflection on this matter since their announcement, I really can't justify a using a company that is trying to force folks into using their landers by such tactics.

Hopefully, improvement is on the horizon for Dan, Afternic, and the GD company. For now, though, I do remain sympathetic to their liason trying to heal up from his infection. And I do hope that the GD network reverses course on their proposed price increases.

My plan is to watch you all freak out and put sedo and escrow buttons on my lander due to commission increase.

Well, this is a time to explore alternatives for landers for our domains. It would be interesting if we start seeing many more Sedo and Escrow.com buttons on custom landers. Creativity is always welcomed.

•••

Did you mean to ask this to James Iles who is a GD employee? @LoveCatchyDomains is not a GD employee, to my knowledge.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Feel better James

•••
This is a very valid point. The reason for Dan implementing the extra 2% credit card fee was because there wasn't enough profit for Dan since they charged only 9% commission. But now they'll be increasing their commission from 9% to 15% which gives them lots more profit. Therefore Dan should remove that extra 2% credit card charge. Will they be doing that?
Good morning @Dane and all,

Thank you for raising this question.

Correct, the 2% fee is going away. Starting February 1st Dan.com will no longer be adding a 2% fee to credit card transactions.

Have a great day!

•••

Correct, the 2% fee is going away. Starting February 1st Dan.com will no longer be adding a 2% fee to credit card transactions.

Have a great day!

Will the added VAT also go away for EU sellers? :xf.smile: (ex: be included in the 15% commission)

Or you will add 21% on top of 15% = 18.2%?

Last edited:
•••

Have a great day!
Thank you Laszlo, hope you are well.

•••
@LaszloSchenk

Can you confirm if the 4% Paypal payout fee for sales over 2k is also going away?

•••

Have a great day!
That's good news. Thanks @LaszloSchenk

•••
I think some domainers were right, Godaddy buys other competitors not to improve them but to destroy like a cockroach, which stay in their way.
But I tell Godaddy that there is me a Scorpion which will take you out of biz!

Last edited:
•••
I think some domainers were right, Godaddy buys other competitors not to improve them but to destroy like a cockroach, which stay in their way.
Dan had a better product than GoDaddy did. And they charged less for it. GoDaddy wanted to get rid of them. Makes sense, that sort of thing happens all the time. What doesn't happen all the time is a company saying that unless you use our products EXCLUSIVELY we are going to financially penalize you. That, to me, is the bigger issue. The increase from 9% to 15% sucks. But to charge a whopping 25% commission if we don't use them exclusively is just ridiculous.

•••

Have a great day!

It's really that hard to create a full list of Q/A for ALL the functions that the changes in the fee schedule affect?

Here's one more question for you then: Buyers that paid via bank account (balance) would get a 1% discount that would be passed onto the seller. Does this remain or it becomes obsolete?

•••

Have a great day!
Well, that is something at least.

Brad

•••
Back