IT.COM

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The dreaded increase has finally arrived.

Love that chart btw. What happens if my 60k sale was at DAN and my 40k sale was at Afternic? Before and After.

Last edited:
•••
This was expected.

On the bright side, Afternic commissions will be lower -- down to 15% from 20%.

•••
Last edited:
•••
As an Afternic lander user, I'm more than happy.

It is however, indeed a problem for Dan users.

•••
It's funny how they're using two different numbers (60k and 40k) to compare the commission structures between Afternic and Dan. "Look guys, the total payout is higher under the new structure guys!!! Look we've managed to cherry pick the specific scenario that benefits you a tiny, little bit!!!"

This shows that Dan is truly and fully integrated into the GoDaddy ethos and core guiding value that their customers are braindead.

The tellsign sign that a GoDaddy acquisition is integrated is once they start to feed you turds while calling it key lime pie.

Dan was a shining light in the industry, and it was domainers who made every single thing they did possible in the first place, and they pulled a bait-and-switch and sold us out. It's okay, it happens.

Last edited:
•••
•••
On the bright side, Afternic commissions will be lower -- down to 15% from 20%.
Curious about the higher value domains though. Currently "$4,000 +10% of amount over $25k" for names priced at "$25,000 and over".

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
godaddy purchased hot domain platform,
the next step,
godaddy hires all the hot domain blog writers

•••
Dan needs to add the afternic phone number on landers

•••
I want a 60 k sale 🙏
I dont care about fee 😂

•••
•••
My question is why is the Afternic website so bad? They started remaking it and then kind've gave up on it. I hope that they don't take the same approach to Dan now that they have swallowed them up.

Then there's the Godaddy Auctions platform... I'm sure they remade that and then it went back to the old version. Or did I just dream that?

Last edited:
•••
Just spent hours going through names and pointing them to dan. I wrongly assumed any changes would have been made effective Jan 1.

I'm done with parking companies that don't pay and 'brokers' from platforms that do nothing. Time for me to launch my own site. The only reason I will keep my relationship with dan active is the 5% that they, as of today, charge for bringing my own lead.

•••
IMG_20230104_162744.jpg

What's this?

The whole message is deliberately confusing. Especially the ridiculous table. The attempt to make it seem like the increase is in the interest of customers is weak and shameful.

That said, does the screenshot not mean that names sold on Afternic without using any of GoDaddy's nameservers is subject to a 25% commission?

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
•••
•••
So what happens to all the names at parking companies that point to an dan etc?

•••
DAN used to be the platform on which I sold the majority of my domains. However, for many months now, I have not received any good news from the platform.

Lately, nearly all messages are related to a domain getting deleted because it expired (my fault, of course) or some other trivial matter.

That’s not DAN’s fault, I know, since the domain market is slow a sales are less frequent, but I am just making the observation that the days for regular good news seem to be gone for me.

Having said that, I don’t necessarily blame DAN or GoDaddy, since they need to do what makes more sense to them from a business standpoint.

Last edited:
•••
One thing:

The old commission structure DAN included in their first table isn’t quite correct (?).

Afternic has (or had) a flat commission rate of 20% for all sales within the $0 - $5k range, but sales above $5k had tiered commission structures that all amounted to less than 20%. So, a $60,000 sale at Afternic wouldn’t have had a 20% commission rate and a payout of $48,000; it would've had a 12.5% commission rate and a payout of $52,500.

This update (if the 15% commission will be a flat rate for all sales) implies increased commission rates for larger sales on Afternic’s side. Or am I missing something?

@Paul Nicks @James Iles @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
  • 25% commission for domains sold that are not pointed to nameservers at Dan, Afternic, or Uniregistry.

LOL

•••
•••
Back