IT.COM

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@James Iles

I just (received and) accepted an offer on Dan at 10:26pm EST, Jan 31, my local time, for the domain name DenmarkWA.com. I accepted rather than countered because I wanted the deal done prior to Feb 1. I probably left some money on the table. I never accept the first offer without countering, but the better commission rate was on my mind and persuaded me to accept the first offer.

The problem is, as I realized looking in the DAN deal messenger afterward, is that it timestamped the deal as 04:26am on DAN local time Feb 1.

I will NOT be a happy camper if you guys take 15% from me because its 4:30am Feb 1 in The Netherlands.

It's still January 31 here and I only made the sale with zero negotiation because it is Jan 31 HERE. I know I left money on the table and I don't appreciate the position that I was put in. I feel I was probably financially harmed as a result of the timing of this offer relative to the time on my clock.

[COLOR=hsl(1, 59%, 45%)]I expect the 9% commission rate to apply. Please confirm.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=hsl(0, 0%, 0%)]Thanks
Eric[/COLOR]
Hi Eric,

Thanks for reaching out.

It doesn't matter when the deal was closed but when the payment is done. We didn't receive any payments until today so once we receive the payment, the commission fee will be 15%.

Kind regards,
Luz

•••
if behind Godaddy , everthing can happen...

•••
•••
Once again I learn all the benefits of feeding GoDanny's greed. I feel so lucky! You all should, too!
I can help you informing you of the changes in the commission fee as it was informed in the emails.

I cannot help you changing the commission fee manually. Please note the decision to align commissions across GoDaddy brands was not something that was taken lightly. At Dan, our mission remains to democratize the domain-buying process and help Sellers sell more domains. We have proven this over the years with game-changing features like our Lease-To-Own model, domain rentals, and our industry-leading landing pages. We have seen first-hand how these initiatives have significantly grown the overall market; they’re also among the reasons, along with Sellers like you, that have made Dan a success to date.

This commission alignment will allow us to take our innovations even further, so that we stay ahead of the competition, continue to broaden the pool of buyers and increase your bottom line.

We will always be ready to help you with anything that is at our hand.

Kind regards, (Luz)

•••
Maybe I should set up a lander elsewhere, and see if the buyer returns
Unfortunately, most of the wonderful marketplaces keep all the contact info to themselves. Vultures and pimps all.

•••
Do the right thing, even when no one is watching. Its called INTEGRITY

Last edited:
•••
firsts sales on February on afternic and dan are without the commission change

Last edited:
•••
well, that's a good decision at least. The RIGHT decision.
Hi Eric,

I’ve spoken with the team, and we do understand your situation, and for this transaction, we will keep it at 9%.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kind regards, (Luz)

•••
well, that's a good decision at least. The RIGHT decision.
Good for you!

I like Dan a little better now...they made a good decision.

•••
Thanks for your reply through DM, @davidc1. I've been able to confirm with the team that your sales occurred prior to the switchover. I'm happy to discuss this more in our DM conversation if you'd like.

•••
If you use the afternic ns3/ns4 landers for the price request, does a potential buyer have the option of doing a LTO/making multiple payments for a domain, like Klarma for instance? The LTO option on Dan was a nice touch and I wasn't sure if GD & afternic has plans to implement something like that or has something like that already in place.

•••
If you use the afternic ns3/ns4 landers for the price request, does a potential buyer have the option of doing a LTO/making multiple payments for a domain, like Klarma for instance? The LTO option on Dan was a nice touch and I wasn't sure if GD & afternic has plans to implement something like that or has something like that already in place.
I know that for certain high value transactions, Afternic brokers are open to using LTO at Escrow.com. But I think it is really only in extraordinary instances.

•••
@James Iles

The last reply I got on this stated the status quo would stand, but is the 4% Paypal fee on transaction larger than $2K payouts still in effect at Dan?

I ask because I completed a transaction right at the bell on Jan 31 for over $2K, and my account has always been set up to use Paypal on small transactions and Bank Transfer on larger $2K+ ones, but the DanBot message states that "$X,XXX will be sent to your Paypal account".

I have put in a question on the Dan transaction window :xf.rolleyes: , but I'm a bit worried that something has screwed up and I'll be getting charged 4%, which totally defeats the purpose of me fast-tracking a transaction to get the 9%.

Last edited:
•••
@DomainRecap I was told by my afternic account manager that the 4% remains.

•••

That's what I heard too, so what the hell is going on?

It's always this way after as system changeover, screwup after screwup, after screwup and I'm gonna be left holding the bag.

•••
Yes, somewhere in this thread or another, there was an official response that it remains. If I find it I will post it.

•••
Yes, somewhere in this thread or another, there was an official response that it remains.

I know and I asked James about it myself and got the same answer.

But as I have/had my Dan account setup to send Paypal for <$2K and Bank Transfer for $2K+, I was wondering if a) someone screwed up and deleted all the special Payout Settings or b) they had made a last-minute change to get rid of the non-streamlined 4% fee.

it looks like A) wins and it won't just be me potentially getting screwed.

Last edited:
•••
I know and I asked James about it myself and got the same answer.

But as I have/had my Dan account setup to send Paypal for <$2K and Bank Transfer for $2K+, I was wondering if a) someone screwed up and deleted all the special Payout Settings or b) they had made a last-minute change to get rid of the non-streamlined 4% fee.

it looks like A) wins and it won't just be me potentially getting screwed.
I understand...since it is unclear, the right thing for them to do is complete the transaction so the outcome is in your favor.

Then they need to clarify all the options on their website(s). It is ridiculous all this info has to be 'pulled' out of such a large organization.

•••
I think what happened is Dan has added in a new feature to allow the user to determine the "payout threshold", when previously this had been an internal setting at Dan you had to request. Unfortunately, when the system update was made, the old internal threshold setting was not transferred over, and the result is what I'm going through right now.

I did change it to what it used to be before internally, but this has to be relatively new as I adjusted my payment options less than a month ago and I never saw this.

1675346060841.png

Last edited:
•••

"As a result, it sacrifices the value and integrity of the Afternic Partner Network if prices are lower on the For Sale Landers. You cannot actively market your domains at a lower price on your domain landers."

My reading of that is basically -

"Partners" can raise the prices on our domains, but we can't.
WTF.

If it is really about "pricing discrepancies" then stop partners from jacking up the prices.

Paging @James Iles please clarify. Is my understanding correct?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Unless @James Iles shows up and says my understanding is incorrect, then this response applies.

These are OUR domains, but now GoDaddy wants to say how we can price them on our landers?

"Partners" though, they are free to price OUR domains how they want.

If you make an argument for the partner to be allowed to charge a higher price, you can't also argue against "price discrepancies". Those points are kind of mutually exclusive.

I guess GoDaddy was not satisfied with just a 25% commission for not using their nameservers...:poop:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Will be interesting to see how SH and BB respond to this. Currently they want Afternic roughly 10% higher than their landers.

Afternic has gotten way too high and mighty. If people would pull their names out of fast transfer they might have to rethink their God complex.

Last edited:
•••

Afternic rankles domainers with “pricing discrepancies” comments​

https://domainnamewire.com/2023/02/...omainers-with-pricing-discrepancies-comments/

GoDaddy’s decision to offer a 40% commission discount for domains parked with its services can be seen as either highly competitive or anti-competitive. If it enforces a restriction on domain owners selling their domains for different prices based on where it sells, I’d say that falls squarely in the anti-competitive category.

Will those who use their own landers abandon Afternic completely?​

https://tldinvestors.com/2023/02/wi...-own-landers-abandon-afternic-completely.html

The distribution network is powerful for sure, and whether any reseller partner can possibly track every lander is another question. It is just making things very adversarial between Afternic and domain investors.

Last edited:
•••

Afternic rankles domainers with “pricing discrepancies” comments​

https://domainnamewire.com/2023/02/...omainers-with-pricing-discrepancies-comments/

GoDaddy’s decision to offer a 40% commission discount for domains parked with its services can be seen as either highly competitive or anti-competitive. If it enforces a restriction on domain owners selling their domains for different prices based on where it sells, I’d say that falls squarely in the anti-competitive category.

Will those who use their own landers abandon Afternic completely?​

https://tldinvestors.com/2023/02/wi...-own-landers-abandon-afternic-completely.html

The distribution network is powerful for sure, and whether any reseller partner can possibly track every lander is another question. It is just making things very adversarial between Afternic and domain investors.

GD doesn't offer 40% discount for using their landers. They offered 25% reduction in fees for that, while also raising the fee by 25% for those who chooses otherwise. No need for DNW to present it like GD had 25% for everything and suddenly slashed 40% of that for some.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back