IT.COM

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sometimes experience sporadically that the Parked symbol disappears from a domain in Dan's dashboard. Simply requesting the lander again fixes this immediately. So this could definitely be a (temporary) glitch at Dan as well.
I had that happen on two names over and over. DAN walked me through fixing it. I am no expert at this kind of stuff but the fix they gave me stopped it immediately. I had to go into the settings of the domains to fix it. If it repeatedly happens on same name it’s possibly something in the domains settings.

•••
I had that happen on two names over and over. DAN walked me through fixing it. I am no expert at this kind of stuff but the fix they gave me stopped it immediately. I had to go into the settings of the domains to fix it. If it repeatedly happens on same name it’s possibly something in the domains settings.
Ah, what was that fix?

•••
•••
I am not 100% sure it was about 5 months ago but I think it had to do with DNSSEC settings.
Okay, but DS records were not an issue with my domains, so it was a glitch at DAN.

But in general I agree. When acquiring domains, always check if there are previous DS records set for the domain. It may break things if you're not using DNSSEC anymore. I have already advised DAN to check the existence of DS records proactively for all domains, so that customers can be proactively warned about such issues. I don't know if it was taken up by the team.

Last edited:
•••
is the 15% commission on bin only or also make offer?

•••
is the 15% commission on bin only or also make offer?
It's on all sales with GoDaddy-associated name servers, including Dan ns. If on other name servers, you suffer a 10% penalty, and the commission rises to a very punitive 25%

Last edited:
•••
Warning: Closed on a sale last week, taking the offer that arrived via the Dan.com lander. The domain had no BIN but the offer was too good to decline. Once the transfer completed, I was sent an invoice with a nice round 25% fee imposed. The DNS was ns1/ns2.dan.com and the standard 15% fee applies. I questioned the fee via a ticket and it was promptly fixed. There was no explanation why that 25% fee was imposed in the first place. I suspect that the account managers look whether the domain is listed on Afternic to gauge the fee. As this had no BIN, the domain was not listed on Afternic. I suggest that you are vigilant when getting paid and take note of the invoice's details.

Last edited:
•••
Warning: Closed on a sale last week, taking the offer that arrived via the Dan.com lander. The domain had no BIN but the offer was too good to decline. Once the transfer completed, I was sent an invoice with a nice round 25% fee imposed. The DNS was ns1/ns2.dan.com and the standard 15% fee applies. I questioned the fee via a ticket and it was promptly fixed. There was no explanation why that 25% fee was imposed in the first place. I suspect that the account managers look whether the domain is listed on Afternic to gauge the fee. As this had no BIN, the domain was not listed on Afternic. I suggest that you are vigilant when getting paid and take note of the invoice's details.
Thanks for the warning. You would hope that @DAN.COM checks DNS automatically. And whether or not a domain is listed on Afternic, they have never made that a condition. I also understood that the moment of payment (by the buyer) is leading for when they will check nameservers. Is there any possibility that they checked the nameservers after the domain transfer took place? In short, this raises many questions. Too bad Dan doesn't tell you how the wrong percentage of 25% could have happened.

Last edited:
•••
•••
While it *might* have been a glitch or a mistake, my hunch is that the managers check Afternic listings as the authority. I had to ask them to fix it.

And yes, the "at the time of the sale..." line was also included, along with the 25% "success fee." (they were really successful at nothing, just providing a lander and a form.)

Last edited:
•••
The Dan account managers and customer service did a good job responding and handling my support request, on a holiday no less (Good Friday in the Netherlands.) But the fact that I caught an obvious mistake of a 10% surcharge makes me wanting to be on the alert across the board. How many of these mistakes might have not been challenged?

•••
So I woke up to a potentially positive note of a pending Fast Transfer sale. Say what?

It looks like the Afternic integration within Dan enables fast transfer for all domains with a BIN. Participating registrar is Sav.

Only problem: There is no way to view and manage pending transfers within Dan.com or Afternic. What a mess.

Last edited:
•••
I put them to the test today. Got an offer, not using their DNS. Changed my DNS back to dan.com, negotiated a bit, deal closed. They seem to be charging 15% + some (as im in the EU, vat etc) but not 25% + some.

Still a major difference compared to using your own payment processor/lander. Would've closed at sedo (import lead) or in private instead but wanted to test this, worth the loss.

Anyway, it's worth it to change your dns to dan while negotiating to avoid the insane 10% penalty.

•••
Dan I’ll pay 6% more
GoDaddy I’ll pay 5% less
Afternic I’ll pay 5% less
-old thread bump-

End of year is approaching, just curious how it went for everybody? For me, kind of went how I thought it would. Overall, I paid less commission this year, simply because my Afternic sales far outweighed my Dan sales. And that's because this is the first year I had all my domains priced and it made a difference, my best year ever.

If you haven't yet, experiment a little and see how it works for you. Price your domains, set it up where people can make payments/lease. You will get more sales, there is no doubt.

Last edited:
•••
•••
-old thread bump-

End of year is approaching, just curious how it went for everybody? For me, kind of went how I thought it would. Overall, I paid less commission this year, simply because my Afternic sales far outweighed my Dan sales. And that's because this is the first year I had all my domains priced and it made a difference, my best year ever.

If you haven't yet, experiment a little and see how it works for you. Price your domains, set it up where people can make payments/lease. You will get more sales, there is no doubt.
Where are your servers pointing?

•••
Where are your servers pointing?
Dan landing pages with Buy Now price/lease to own option

Then all domains on Afternic with Buy Now price for fast transfer network - most successful for me

Sedo - Make Offer
GoDaddy - Make Offer
My Own Site - Make Offer

Last edited:
•••
Dan landing pages with Buy Now price/lease to own option
Do you have "Lease to own" on all names? Or only names over X price? (and what is X?)

•••
Do you have "Lease to own" on all names? Or only names over X price? (and what is X?)
Just check my account it says $495 and above. (y)

•••
Oh I think you are you asking JB what he sets his at... Sorry, didn't have my coffee yet :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
All and like A1EX mentioned $495 is minimum for that option to show

•••
Just check my account it says $495 and above. (y)
So you have all names priced over $495 set up for Lease to own? Not just your more expensive names?

•••
All and like A1EX mentioned $495 is minimum for that option to show
Interesting. When I was using "Lease to own" I only used it for the more expensive names.

•••
Are you guys doing Lease to own directly with Dan.com? Or are you doing it through Afternic's interface?

•••
Are you guys doing Lease to own directly with Dan.com? Or are you doing it through Afternic's interface?
I do it on all names over the threshold, Personally I feel its easier to pull the trigger as a buyer when its only $100/mo rather then putting out something like $2500 up front, but at the same time... I have never had anyone use it, they just put the money out, but at least the option is there for them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back