Dynadot

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

NameSilo
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Going down this path is also a slippery slope IMO.

GoDaddy can start here but why not 30% or 35%?

What about introducing this approach to other aspects of the company.

I could imagine other interesting and creative ways you could use this carrot & stick approach, but don't want to give any ideas.

They are marketing it like it is some reward, when it is actually more of a penalty.

Brad
For those that don't use their landers, yeah, you never know what could happen. Even Sedo said "We'll be keeping it at 10% for buy now saleslander sales for now." For now. They could jump their prices as well.

But that's direct landers.

So the real big deal is the jump in the Distribution network. There is Sedo MLS at 20% but as many pointed out, GoDaddy not included and if you go direct, it'll be 25% as well. If that 5% is that big of a deal to you, do Sedo at 20%, then list directly at GoDaddy and take a 5% hit, have your prices at GoDaddy a little higher. Do what you can.

GoDaddy is the big boy, dominating everybody.

You need these other companies to grow and compete. What are they doing to grab some market share? I first tried some others out like Dynadot and Namecheap because they had cheap Cyber Monday .coms. Only reason why I tried them in the first place. I see less and less of that now. What I mentioned above, cheap regs, coupons.

I've always felt these companies should have an active rep here. If they're doing things right, can only grow their business. Maybe, some will combine forces. They need to compete, make deals, offer up competing distribution network etc. GoDaddy got big, why can't other companies.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Nothing to do with poor or rich. It has to do with high fraud activity or sanctions on the country.
Most of fraudsters live in poor countries, that is why they do it, because they are poor.

•••
GoDaddy is the big boy, dominating everybody.
Hi

in the domain game:

one can be dominating on the court, but that doesn't mean they will win every sale.

and if more sales start to get reported elsewhere, then that's where the fans will go.

imo...

•••
We'll be keeping it at 10% for buy now saleslander sales for now. :xf.wink:

As stated on your website, the 10% comission only applies when domains are being "parked" with advertisements. Otherwise the comission is 15% when having a BIN and also using a normal SEDO-Sales-lander without "parking advertisements".
Is this correct ?

•••
In fact, they demand everybody to use their nameserver "network" but they don't use any of them for their own portfolio, for their NameFind domains.

Last edited:
•••
Why does GD has to make it so complicated? GD wants to make it complicated on purpose is to screw everyone up.

Just make it a flat 10% and be done!!
Just like taxes, make it a flat tax 10%

•••
Why does GD has to make it so complicated? GD wants to make it complicated on purpose is to screw everyone up.

Just make it a flat 10% and be done!!
Just like taxes, make it a flat tax 10%
It boils down to some mid/upper level stuffed shirts coming up with a 6 month plan to increase revenue...in all likelihood just to justify their inflated salaries.

They did not count on such a pushback from the community. Come on you coders...get busy building the next Dan!

•••
•••
the 10% comission only applies when domains are being "parked" with advertisements.
I stand to be corrected, but I am pretty sure the 10% commission applies to sales at BIN prices if using their SL1 nameservers as well, which have no advertising links at all.

What it does not apply to is sales originating from MLS network, or Make Offer negotiated sales, if my understanding is correct.

It's possible I am wrong, but that is my reading.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I stand to be corrected, but I am pretty sure the 10% commission applies to sales at BIN prices if using their SL1 nameservers as well, which have no advertising links at all.

What it does not apply to is sales originating from MLS network, or Make Offer negotiated sales, if my understanding is correct.

Thanks. This is confirmed on https://sedo.com/uk/about-us/news-p...le-template-brings-attention-to-your-domains/

•••
IMO any commission rate relatively is judged by how hard their brokers make sales for your passive income like behind the scenes if any at all

tried sedo (parking my domains traffic espionage, is ns really epik's dupe??)

tried afternic their broker got an email sold dotnft .com 16k the other year while asleep during the brokerage (just list all 25k did :)

could try Dan, did rent before 0 traffic, now ns change epik my traffic #1 domain portfolio in world IMO

what yous think of this

- Dennis Zabala

•••

-Bob

The 10% commission also applies to offers accepted on Buy Now listings, but only if your Sedo account is setup to accept offers and pointed to Sedo nameservers.

Sedo -> MyAccount -> Account Settings

sedobin - Copy.PNG

•••

-Bob
Guess this was introduced to promote the sl1 landers.

•••
It boils down to some mid/upper level stuffed shirts coming up with a 6 month plan to increase revenue...in all likelihood just to justify their inflated salaries.

They did not count on such a pushback from the community. Come on you coders...get busy building the next Dan!
Yea yea they hired James Iles and Michael and they are supposed to support us the domainers but apparently all they care now is their own big fat salaries and benefits---TurnCoats!

•••
Come on you coders...get busy building the next Dan!

I'm pretty sure that building a competitive domain marketplace takes a bit more than good coding skills: )

•••
I'm pretty sure that building a competitive domain marketplace takes a bit more than good coding skills: )
That kinda goes without saying. A couple grand would be a big help as well. (if I had that available, I would already be on job bulletin boards looking for interest parties!) :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Apparently, Dan also charges a sneaky extra 2% credit card processing charge on top, so effectively their fee is 11%. And, from February, it is going to be 17%.

•••
For sales over 2k, Dan also charges 4% extra for Paypal payouts. It was already not great on top of the 9% commission but 4% on top of the new 15%/25% commission is not justifiable. If their aim is to to align with Afternic's structure like they said they should remove these fees.

Last edited:
•••
@LaszloSchenk Can you ask the team at Dan to remove these payout fees after the February alignment changes? We know there are other payout methods but to charge extra on Credit card processing and Paypal payouts isn't very justifiable at 15%/25% commission.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Dan = Done

Their example is gold :D

•••
As stated on your website, the 10% comission only applies when domains are being "parked" with advertisements. Otherwise the comission is 15% when having a BIN and also using a normal SEDO-Sales-lander without "parking advertisements".
Is this correct ?
The 10% commission applies when domains are being

- parked with advertisiments OR using the Sedo Sales lander
- having a BIN OR BuyNow or Best Offer
-
sold through the Sedo marketplace directly

If the buyer comes through the SedoMLS network, the commission will be 20%.

•••
The 10% commission applies when domains are being

- parked with advertisiments OR using the Sedo Sales lander
- having a BIN OR BuyNow or Best Offer
-
sold through the Sedo marketplace directly

If the buyer comes through the SedoMLS network, the commission will be 20%.
And to further clarify, it is possible to put "make offer" on the landers, but that means a 15% rather than 10% commission?

In other words, instead of "make Best Offer, " do you also have the regular "make offer" option, where it effectively becomes a marketplace offer/counteroffer option with 15% commission.

And thank you, Sedo, for finally presenting your voice to the forum here.

Last edited:
•••
No chance.

I can't see any incentive for GoDaddy to keep that. I expect that to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Brad

the 5 percent will stay. else they would change it now too. it will stay for same reasons it wasn't changed now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back