Domain Empire

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It would be interesting if @matt_bodis and @ParkingCrew would stop in and tell us what they think/feel. This move by gddy will surely have an impact on parking services.

•••
This move by gddy will surely have an impact on parking services.
And on Google as they provide parking ads. Even Google is (indirectly) affected by GD move if we think about it...

•••
And on Google as they provide parking ads. Even Google is (indirectly) affected by GD move if we think about it...
Yes, it will definitely affect giggle...to me, that is the only upside to this mess. :xf.smile:

(I should say here that their rise to power caused my investment in a few search engines to falter many years ago...overall things worked out due to buyouts but the sour taste is still there)

•••
Depending on a number of domains not parked anymore, who knows how Google may react. Their search results and rankings are not natural in many cases. What if the G rankings of GoDaddy dot com will mystically go down someday?

•••
My question is why is the Afternic website so bad? They started remaking it and then kind've gave up on it. I hope that they don't take the same approach to Dan now that they have swallowed them up.

Then there's the Godaddy Auctions platform... I'm sure they remade that and then it went back to the old version. Or did I just dream that?
Bad web/UI design is a huge problem overall now and a pet peeve for me.

Good design peaked about a decade ago. A well designed site means less employment for web designers and the bureaucracy that goes along with it. A change in CEO, ownership, or top level management often means web design changes whether they are needed or not. And then there's the worst reason to update the website just because "it looks old".

Good design means a website usually stays the same over a long time with minor improvements. Good design means new top dogs in a company don't get to make their mark and brag about new features and blah blah blah. Good design means less budget for the design department.

I've figured out the least important person in all this is the user.

•••
As i said in other topics long time ago, time to build our own websites and not give the power of our domains to the GD beast.
Only need to find a way to redirect domains easier, I think Bodis can help with this, if someone will be interested in my domains, I tell him, you can buy from my website directly or I list the domain for sale on any of this trusted marketplaces Dan, Afternic, Sedo, Epik, Uni etc, choose whatever you prefer and you buy it there, this of course after the NS have fully propagated after 24 hours.
Anyway I have something which I plan to build which will sink any Spaceship in future and I will not need this greedy marketplaces, my websites will be #1 in the digital space.

edit: also Dan until today did not fix to list my aethereum.xyz to Afternic it is Processing for a month already, weird stuff, another reason to not use them.

Last edited:
•••
These are the daily stats for today, 6/1/23

Name serverTotal Change% ChangeNew DomainsTransfers InTransfers OutDeletedCurrent Total
BODIS.COM-40,141-2.92%1,1263,192-42,790-1,6691,375,156
DAN.COM30,7061.28%1,22838,120-8,059-5832,403,642

The biggest NS movement of the day was portfolio holding 29,755 domains that moved from Bodis to DAN.

https://dailychanges.domaintools.com/top-movements/

So the migration towards the monopoly has started...

Why would people move from Bodis to Dan? Bodis has free sales landers with Escrow as backend. Dan has landers that charge 15%. Did they do it to stop the potential 25% commission from happening (but of course lose the 0% if someone types the domain into the URL bar)?

•••
Yeah - @Sedo could help facilitate it by dropping their commission to 9% if we point our domains to their landers :xf.wink:
We'll be keeping it at 10% for buy now saleslander sales for now. :xf.wink:

•••
Just as expected
We've been expecting this since Godaddy bought Dan .
I am seriously considering going back to Sedo .
And we would be happy to have you. :giggle:

•••
Funny Story:
in the past i had all my domains by Sedo.com and the fees was 15%.
I switched to Dan.com and told Sedo.com they should change the fees and create the same seller page like Dan.com

In August 2022 Sedo.com changed the fees to 10% and clone the same DAN.com page
https://sedo.com/us/about-us/news-p...le-template-brings-attention-to-your-domains/

Sedo.com Demo Selling Page:
https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=virtualkey.net&origin=sales_lander_15&language=us
Now i go back to Sedo.com...
Welcome back :xf.smile:

•••
Why not just use SEDO and pay 10% instead? Is there a downside that I don't know of? Their new landers look great.
We don't see any downsides! :xf.wink:
Happy that you like our new saleslander.

•••
@Sedo Should be more active here, opportunity. 10% nice. Landing pages, alright. Lease to Own option = more money. Let's go, strike back.
Thank you for your feedback. :xf.smile:

•••
I agree. Sedo recently improved, imo, their landers. If they stay with the 10% commission for sales from those landers, and added a lease-to-own option, it could be really compelling.

Even for those who love Afternic and Dan, the domain world is better off with competition, and I hope Sedo will prosper as the main competition left in the general marketplace segment. And perhaps a new innovative startup enter it.

-Bob
Thanks Bob! We value your feedback and are happy that you like our new saleslander. :giggle:

•••
We don't see any downsides! :xf.wink:
Happy that you like our new saleslander.
Sedo MLS is still 20% + VAT = 24%...

•••
I am def moving to SEDO until something better comes along. I don't need Afternic or their distribution network.
You're always welcome.

•••
Good news for Sedo. Those who used afternic exclusively or somewhat exclusively, will now consider switching at least non-English domains to Sedo, or those domains where the potential buyers are more likely outside U.S. due to one reason or another. Since such buyers do not have a preference to use GoDaddy, it would be safe move. And, what if other domains will follow, whole portfolios leaving? Did GD think about this?
By the way, our MLS Network includes strong registrar partners for the U.S. as well, for example Namecheap. (y)

•••
I think for me one disappointment is that I had hoped that they would let Dan continue as a different marketplace from Afternic. Lower commissions, different landers, rent and lease-to-own options, largely automated processing. When I listed for 9% at Dan I realized that a few things at Afternic were missing, mainly the 24/7 phone system with a huge network of agents to deal with potential buyers, and not as much marketplace traffic. I know some asked that to be added to Dan, but I prefer differentiation, choose Dan or choose Afternic or choose both, but don't try to make them the same thing.

My big bank well over a decade ago bought out a discount brokerage competitor. Many thought they would integrate or close it down, but they have kept offering both services, one for people who want to manage things online themselves without direct advice, and one for those who want phone or in-person investment, with a level of advice, but at higher fees. I think that really is the best of both worlds.

So my personal plea to GoDaddy is to do a bit of a rethink. Keep Dan as something different from Afternic, but under the GoDaddy umbrella, please.

Thanks for listening.

-Bob

PS I also favour a competitive climate, and hope that Sedo, the brandable places, and services like Efty will all thrive, and a new domain marketplace will shake things up.

(@James Iles)

Last edited:
•••
By the way, our MLS Network includes strong registrar partners for the U.S. as well, for example Namecheap
Also Netsol, which by some reason is still used by endusers. Had a MLS sale last year delivered to Netsol, or some registrar from that group. @Sedo can you please check your NP threads btw. And enlighten us. Too many questions are pending. Such as are there plans to change that 50% heigth cookie banner...
Thank you @Sedo for commenting here :)

•••
No more DAN. Moved all landers to Sedo & Efty.

•••
Everything in this world is supply and demand. All these comments are water off a ducks back to them . The only way to change something is act with your feet and walk away. Move to a lower commission site or have your own landing pages. These big companies with massive overheads cannot survive without the customers. So if your really unhappy walk away and force a change
Well said

•••
Any time I buy a domain on Dan.com, I just assume it will not pan out.

I have bought domains many times only to find out the domain was not actually available and the transaction was canceled.

Sometimes this is blatantly obvious when you see a domain like World.com for $1,000 or something. :ROFL:

Also, when I listed some lower end priced domains on Dan.com there was an absurd conflict percentage.
These were often domains I owned for many years. Some other party listed these at some point.

@Paul Nicks @Joe Styler @James Iles

If you insist on keeping these commission hikes, I suggest you should probably create a thread on NamePros for suggestions, feedback, and issues with Afternic/Dan.

There are many things that need to be fixed and improved. Some of these issues go back many years.

Brad
Thanks for your suggestion, @bmugford. I like the idea of a thread for Afternic/Dan feedback and issues. I'll chat with the GoDaddy team about this.

Actually, let me ask this a different way...

I have different pricing for Dan listings than for Afternic listings due to the difference in commission. Now that the commission will be the same, the pricing can be the same as well. What's the easiest way to achieve this? Should I kill the Afternic account and just do everything through Dan? Or will turning on Afternic from within Dan automatically kill the Afternic account? I'm just not sure the best way to do this. I hope this makes sense. 😀
Following the thread, I think you may have had an answer to this already, but happy to chat privately if necessary - [email protected]

I think for me one disappointment is that I had hoped that they would let Dan continue as a different marketplace from Afternic. Lower commissions, different landers, rent and lease-to-own options, largely automated processing. When I listed for 9% at Dan I realized that a few things at Afternic were missing, mainly the 24/7 phone system with a huge network of agents to deal with potential buyers. I know some asked that to be added to Dan, but I prefer differentiation, choose Dan or choose Afternic or choose both, but don't try to make them the same thing.

My big bank well over a decade ago bought out a discount brokerage competitor. Many thought they would integrate or close it down, but they have kept offering both services, one for people who want to manage things online themselves without direct advice, and one for those who want phone or in-person investment, with a level of advice, but at higher fees. I think that really is the best of both worlds.

So my personal plea to GoDaddy is to do a bit of a rethink. Keep Dan as something different from Afternic, but under the GoDaddy umbrella, please.

Thanks for listening.

-Bob

PS I also favour a competitive climate, and hope that Sedo, the brandable places, and services like Efty will all thrive, and a new domain marketplace will shake things up.

(@James Iles)
Thanks, Bob. As I've said before, I'm gathering all feedback, and I am sharing it with the GoDaddy team.

•••
I had hoped that they would let Dan continue as a different marketplace from Afternic.

So my personal plea to GoDaddy is to do a bit of a rethink. Keep Dan as something different from Afternic

Thanks for listening.
Me too. I completely agree. But I don't think they're listening.

•••
•••
By the way, our MLS Network includes strong registrar partners for the U.S. as well, for example Namecheap. (y)
namecheap is also an afternic partner. But now if we use dan's landers we'll have 15% fees for namecheap's mls sales, except if we list our domain on sedo, we'll have 20% fees ---> If i continue to list my domains on sedo, i'll pay more fees than if i dont !!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back