Dynadot

Dan.com stole my $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
Dan.com accepted the $ for the domain they knew they did not have. I have proof they didn't have that domain and accepted money anyway. They refunded $4,000 short for the name. They are breaking the law by not keeping your $ in secure escrow account. Instead they returned $4,000 less from different BANK, different COUNTRY, and shorted me $4,000.
I demand they return the $ I paid for the name. They held the $ for 1 week!!! and returned $4,000 short.
Dan.com is complete scam. They refusing to deal with details. I will post screen shots and proof.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People are trying to explain the situation to you and you are not happy and attack them.
You acted like my wife. It does not matter how I explain to her she would never get it.

•••
People are trying to explain the situation to you and you are not happy and attack them.
You acted like my wife. It does not matter how I explain to her she would never get it.

1639446634772.png

•••
Look no further than the bank, they're more than likely the ones who short-changed you. If I send you 500 euros and you receive 400, don't look at me, call the bank.

•••
1. You should ask to confirm the domain availability before starting the payment process.
2. I suppose it was not DAN but the bank. one of two banks, or DAN's bank, or your bank.

•••
1. You should ask to confirm the domain availability before starting the payment process.

Actually this is exactly what shouldn't be necessary, especially if it is a BIN listing it makes sense to avoid this question for tactical reasons.

If a domain name is listed for sale it has to be available, otherwise it should not be listed at all.

If it is not longer available, then it is up to the marketplace to remove it, instantly, automatically.

•••
Actually this is exactly what shouldn't be necessary, especially if it is a BIN listing it makes sense to avoid this question for tactical reasons.

If a domain name is listed for sale it has to be available, otherwise it should not be listed at all.

If it is not longer available, then it is up to the marketplace to remove it, instantly, automatically.
Do you always pay 58k without asking for confirmation??

•••
I stated my case. I am waiting for dan.com to contact me privately. I am ready to provide any info they ask for related to this transaction.

If we'd contact you privately it would be our lawyer contacting you about the defamation and extortion case you're building in this thread.

We're closely monitoring your actions here and elsewhere.

•••
Dan's verification system is not anywhere near the ''best'' as you can list very easily names that are not yours. Read my comment three posts up.

Yes you can, just as easy as you can on just about any platform. The big pro of the dan verification system is that you can easily protect your domains from being listed by someone else.

•••
I sent an offer to dan.com. It was ACCEPTED!. I sent the money and they already knew the name was not available.
They accepted money. Refused to return it for 1week. Then shorted me $4,000 usd. They used 2 different banks from 2 different companies and countries. Your money is NOT safe in their escrow. They using the funds which were paid for the name they DO NOT have. They refusing to answer why they shorted me $4,000 USD.
They doing money laundering between banks and different countries. You money is not safe with them.
You are supposed to return SAME AMOUNT, FROM SAME ACCOUNT you GOT PAID.
DAN didn’t sell you a name. A fraudster did. If the servers were not pointing to DAN on the page you purchased at you should know better. Calm down and try not to sound unhinged. DAN bends over backwards for sellers compared to ALL other options. I am sure there is much more to this story.

•••
Thanks for the response.

It seems like a fundamental issue here is the listings on Dan.com that are not legitimate.

It seems like you need to do something to raise the bar, especially when it comes to obviously premium domains.

I frequently see domains for sale that are not legit. On Expired Domains I see Sell.com, Call.com, Bikes.com, Prize.com all listed for under $1,000 in the last few days. Those are clearly not legitimate.

Is there anything you can do to vet these listings?

Brad
I think DAN should do that after Afternic GoDaddy verify each and every one of their fraudulent listings.

Last edited:
•••
I think DAN should do that after Afternic GoDaddy verify each and every one of their fraudulent listings.
But where is the problem?
DAN have TXT verification (dan-ownership-verification=abcd1234) . If you not are the domain owner not have any possibility to add TXT record to the domain.

•••
Now, that said, there are certainly banks which charge ridiculous fees, or have a huge buy/sell spread on foreign exchange transactions. For example, if you are familiar with the ATM "do you want us to convert from dollars" scam that many banks use, then how your particular bank deals with incoming transfers in other currencies can make a huge difference.
The bank rates where I come from are ridiculous when it comes to fx exchange rates. The difference between the rate at which they sell to you and the rate at which they buy back from you is borderline theft (even when both transactions are same-day).

That's why btc payout is my preferred option at Dan. Wish @DAN.COM did not place a limit on how much you can receive via the btc payout option.

•••
But where is the problem?
DAN have TXT verification (dan-ownership-verification=abcd1234) . If you not are the domain owner not have any possibility to add TXT record to the domain.

That's what I thought too, until two domains that I placed accidentally in .com instead of .xyz were sold. They do not verify ownership with TXT currently, they use it only to remove old listings. The name can be placed on Dan without TXT as well. However their support told me they are working on some project to start verifying. They really should, indeed.

•••
a similar thing happened to me on godaddy. payment via escrow.com the seller did not transfer the domain "zgu.com" they sent me 500 € less exchange rate loss € / $ weeks back.

•••
Agree with calmly proceed. Twitter is 24 7 critics. Get on there, ask them nicely, or try to.
Pretty sure they are not giving you 56 instead of 54 but they should not short you. Surprised if they don't sort it out straight away. They are now in with media options, world's best brokers too. Sorry for dropping you in it Chris, but these guys won't be stuffing around with a few grand.

Last edited:
•••
I just called the Bank and explained about the situation and they said:

It's not my fault!

•••
Do you always pay 58k without asking for confirmation??

I only use marketplaces I trust and DAN is (beside SEDO and DYNADOT) definitely one of them (this doesn't mean that I do not trust other marketplaces (I just don't know them as I have not used them so far (as the mentioned 3 marketplaces are enough for my needs))).

So if I buy a domain name on such a marketplace (means, as mentioned, on a marketplace I trust), I simply would follow their (most probably automated) payment instructions without even thinking to first ask them "if the domain name I bought is indeed available" (?) - in other words, yes, I would simply make the payment - no matter the amount - simply because of my trust in the marketplace that they will handle it professionally.

However, if I get a message from the marketplace before making the payment to not make the payment (for whatver reason), then of course I would not make the payment and simply wait for their update.

But if I get such a message from the marketplace after I already made the payment, then I would logically expect + insist (for) a full refund without a single cent / peny / bit of a loss - no matter the reason of a possible loss (may it be exchange rate or bank fees or whatever), simply because I got informed too late by the marketplace to not make the payment (as I already made the payment).

To sum it up, if after my payment it turns out that the paid domain name is in fact not available at all, although it was listed for purchase and the marketplace did not inform me early enough (= before I make the payment) to not make the payment (for whatever reason), then I am convinced that the marketplace has to take over = pay any possible fee or exchange rate that may have or will arise (for whatever reason and by whomever (bank / payment company)) within the refund process so that the exact same amount I originally paid will RECEIVE and therefore BE (BACK) IN my payment source.

Just like you have to return a car that you have borrowed to its owner undamaged.
If, unfortunately, a damage (fee(s) = loss) occurs on the way back to its owner, then logically the person who rented it has to pay the owner for this damage (fee(s) = loss) and not just return the damaged car (I am not saying that this is definitely the case here (as I don't know all facts), I just share my general view for such a case).

Last edited:
•••
Dan.com failed to provide the name. They kept the money as long as possible after I asked for refund 10 times.
Th
If we'd contact you privately it would be our lawyer contacting you about the defamation and extortion case you're building in this thread.

We're closely monitoring your actions here and elsewher

•••

We're closely monitoring your actions here and elsewhere.
You should be closely monitoring your client's money and protecting it, especially as you are selling goods you don't have. Holding the money for as long as you could have, for what purpose? It should be investigated. Is this an attempt to blackmail me to keeping my mouth shut after causing monetary damages? Asking people to send you money for products you don't have and then treating customers in this fashion? I have monetary damages due to your negligence. There are many things that could be done to prevent this negligence and monetary losses by your buyers, if you cared. Blackmailing clients who lost money due to your negligence is a standard on its own.

•••
I just called the Bank and explained about the situation and they said:

It's not my fault!

Before calling bank or pretty much anywhere - you should always check with your wife first!

•••
I have monetary damages due to your negligence.

No, you have a monetary loss due to the intentional acts of a person who fraudulently listed the domain name for sale on Dan.com. Unfortunately, by going after the other party who was the victim, in terms of time and money, you probably aren't going to get much cooperation in attempting to identify the person who is actually responsible for what happened to you.

But you agreed to the following terms:

https://dan.com/terms_of_use

3.4 Parties acknowledge and agree that the Contractor cannot exercise any rights to and therefore has no influence on the actual state of the domain name, including the accessibility of the domain name offered by the Provider. Contractor does not make any guarantees or warranties with respect to the domain name. In case of a dispute with respect to the domain name, Provider and the Transferee shall resolve such dispute between themselves.

Except in case willful misconduct, Parties acknowledge and agree that Contractor is not in any way liable for any damages resulting from the provision of the Services or any defects in the performance of the Website and/or the secure access to the Website or parts thereof. All information on the Website is subject to typos or misspellings. For the avoidance of doubt, the Contractor is therefore not in any way liable for any damages resulting from:

a. the use of Services from the Contractor, including (but not limited to) use of Contractor’s Website (including the landing pages), (active) service brokerage and transaction concerning the transfer of the domain name and other Services offered by the Contractor;

b. false or incomplete information on the Website or any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communication line failure, theft, destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of or use of any asset;

c. use of Third Party services or use of purchased domain names or other services via the Website, including the use of the payment services offered on the Website through Third Parties (such as Contractor’s payment provider Adyen);

d. defects in the actual state, including the accessibility, of the domain names;

e. acts of Third Parties hired by the Contractor, including Third Parties that effectuate mediation or financial settlements; and

f. changes in the services of the Contractor or changes in or on the Website.

----------

Just for your reference, by stating that you are the victim of alleged "negligence", you have admitted the behavior to which you take issue was not intentional.

However, now that we have all tracked down the issue to fees charged by your bank (or by an intermediary bank used by your bank) for currency conversion, it is abundantly clear that your various claims of "money laundering" or that Dan.com somehow profited illegally by stealing your money are false. Knowing these accusations to be false, you choose to maintain them, and have not retracted them. Your choice in that regard is intentional, in contrast to the behavior of Dan.com which you allege to be merely negligent.

•••
All drama aside, there is a legitimate issue here which could have been shared more professionally by the OP. Here’s a suggestion on how the original post could have been written:

“I sent a wire transfer payment to purchase a domain on Dan.com. It turns out Dan did not have the domain so they refunded my payment. The problem is that I received $4000 less than what I sent. Shouldn’t the marketplace be accountable to make me whole and issue a full refund if they can not deliver the goods?”

And here is how Dan could have responded:

“It looks like we issued a full refund for the payment however you might have received a lower amount due to international currency conversion. Since this was not your fault, we will send you a private message to discuss how we can resolve the issue”

While Dan is not legally responsible to make the buyer whole in this situation, it sounds like a situation where a buyer shouldn’t be penalized because they acted in good faith to purchase the domain and should expect a full refund if that purchase can’t be fulfilled

•••
"You are one of dumbest lawyers in domaining."

tvN5G-1518820788-11436-list_items-9_spit-take-golden-girls.gif

Thankfully, I'm just "one of the dumbest" and not the dumbest. I'm trying to figure out who the other dumbest lawyers are. Maybe @stevanlieberman has some nominations.

Last edited:
•••
That's what I thought too, until two domains that I placed accidentally in .com instead of .xyz were sold. They do not verify ownership with TXT currently, they use it only to remove old listings. The name can be placed on Dan without TXT as well. However their support told me they are working on some project to start verifying. They really should, indeed.
ahhh this is a good tip.
I did not know about only verify via TXT for remove old listing.
But I think in the same road... that not are very dificult verify with same system via TXT for adding domains.

•••
Next time just buy domains with credit cards on marketplaces. If refunded, all foreign transaction fees (in fact all fees associated with that transaction) will be refunded.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back