IT.COM

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No probs.
Then our understanding of success is different.
So, if he sells $400 worth of handreg domains in a day( that's around 12k a month) it's not a success? I can bet that he is in the top 5% profitability around namepros members. Talking about hours waisted for transfers and automatization, that's another issue, but if he can handle that, even better for him. Your doing 12k sales constantly every month? I know I'm not doing.

Last edited:
•••
$400 is the loss due to this change, I make more...

A new problem is coming, I sold some on dan before redirecting to paypal.. the customer bought the domain first on dan then buying the domain on afternic. Normally I put a higher price on afternic but for some domains it's not the case now. It would be often the case if I let the domain on dan at 99.

Last edited:
•••
•••
So, if he sells $400 worth of handreg domains in a day( that's around 12k a month) it's not a success?
Per 10K+ domains portfolio???
You can calculate yourself, my help is not needed.

•••
Per 10K+ domains portfolio???
You can calculate yourself, my help is not needed.
It can be per 50k or 100k portofolio, as long as you sell them before the renewal, it's great. 10k hand reg bought at promotions, that's around 30k-40k and making only 12k a month(what he was saying that he will loose from dan change, without considering sedo or afternic), that's around 145k, so over 100k profit in a year...if you automate this, you have a great business model. What I'm missing? Point out how many namepros members can make over 100k profit a year.

•••
And why so complicated model when you have ~$50K to invest?
You really don't see how to transform $50K into $150K using another ways???

•••
And why so complicated model when you have ~$50K to invest?
You really don't see how to transform $50K into $150K using another ways???
No I dont know, let me know, I'm very interested to know, it will for sure change the life of everyone here if they'll know how !

without considering sedo or afternic
In fact I consider also afternic, as my price on afternic is based on my price on dan.
Normally my price on afternic in usd is about 1.3 my price in euros on dan.
Yesterday it was different as some domains were listed under $100 on afternic and at 99€ on dan, a customer paid them twice (he probably see the price on afternic after paid it on dan)
I will continue to list my domains at the correct price (under $113 on afternic), maybe my loss will be under $150 per day if i do that, but sometimes there will be double payments...

One thing really strange, from a porfolio to another the min price is different, as they only consider 99 without the currency lol
USD99 = USD99
99€ = USD99
99£ = USD124

For the moment the paypal redirection I made for domains under 99€ seems not working well I will let it until monday to have more stats...

•••
No I dont know, let me know, I'm very interested to know, it will for sure change the life of everyone here if they'll know how !

without considering sedo or afternic
In fact I consider also afternic, as my price on afternic is based on my price on dan.
Normally my price on afternic in usd is about 1.3 my price in euros on dan.
Yesterday it was different as some domains were listed under $100 on afternic and at 99€ on dan, a customer paid them twice (he probably see the price on afternic after paid it on dan)
I will continue to list my domains at the correct price (under $113 on afternic), maybe my loss will be under $150 per day if i do that, but sometimes there will be double payments...

One thing really strange, from a porfolio to another the min price is different, as they only consider 99 without the currency lol
USD99 = USD99
99€ = USD99
99£ = USD124

For the moment the paypal redirection I made for domains under 99€ seems not working well I will let it until monday to have more stats...

what kind of domains do you sell below 100

.com?

what size a portfolio needs to have
to do so profitably?

•••
Anybody who doesn’t want to flip at $99 and above to supposed end users is working way too hard and frankly making it alot harder for everyone else to get real sales. I think DAN is being very generous with that low minimum to all involved. People who can’t afford $99 aren’t end users.

Last edited:
•••
I will only speak about dan related things here.

•••
Anybody who doesn’t want to flip at $99 and above to supposed end users is working way too hard and frankly making it alot harder for everyone else to get real sales. I think DAN is being very generous with that low minimum to all involved.
False in case of seo domains for example, average price for them is under 99.

•••
False in case of seo domains for example, average price for them is under 99.

Because SEO domains are not make it or break it-content is. I am not knocking your business but at $99 its still dirt cheap is my point and not worth all this fuss.

•••
Anybody who doesn’t want to flip at $99 and above to supposed end users is working way too hard and frankly making it alot harder for everyone else to get real sales. I think DAN is being very generous with that low minimum to all involved. People who can’t afford $99 aren’t end users.
It's the same as the 2euro shops, where everything is dirty cheap. Are you saying that you can't make a business model based on that? A few of the 2euro shops owners are making millions and some are owned by huge companies. You are saying that they should give up their business model, just to make it easier for others to sell for more? That's not real life. Also, there are tons of end users who want to pay under couple of hundreds for a domain, for an online shop, for a barber shop and tens of other small companies, which have a small budget and want to try a business. Lot's of the big players from today where once small companies that could not afford to pay more than $100-$200 for a domain. They will not have any effect on your business model, because they are not the buyers of an xxxx domain, if they can't find, they will just hand reg something, you will not loose anything.

Last edited:
•••
Because SEO domains are not make it or break it-content is. I am not knocking your business but at $99 its still dirt cheap is my point and not worth all this fuss.
That mean that now dan is not made for seo domains.

everything is relative.
99 is cheap but not for everyone. i'm selling worldwide, 99 could be a lot for many customers from indonesia, bangladesh, india for example.

For some people 100k is cheap, is it cheap for you ?

The best price is the correct price for everyone.

Last edited:
•••

everything is relative.
99 is cheap but not for everyone. i'm selling worldwide, 99 could be a lot for many customers from indonesia, bangladesh, india for example.

Why not start your own marketplace? Sales at Dan are certainly not from inventory searches.

•••
The domain name itself - doesn't matter at all for SEOmasters...
Actually - they buy SEO parameters...
For such needs - you may consider Flippa, it is very popular among SEObuyers.

Last edited:
•••
Why not start your own marketplace? Sales at Dan are certainly not from inventory searches.
I've done that in the past for seo domains, had a lot of customers coming back every few days, trust was there. Here it's a different game.
I want to see if a simple paypal link on the landing has enough trust or not, it would be a good choice. The problem with paypal could also be that credit card from some customers is not accepted by them.

•••

everything is relative.

DAN should not have a forced MIN BIN
and in case they maintain it
I guess I will switch back to my own page

•••
DAN should not have a forced MIN BIN
and in case they maintain it
I guess I will switch back to my own page
2 ways to put a bin with make offer.
Min should be at $1 or at least 70% of the price you want sell the domain for.

•••
My friend (former SEOdomainer) sold majority of his domains (thousands) via GoDaddy.

•••
My friend (former SEOdomainer) sold majority of his domains (thousands) via GoDaddy.
godaddy is good but the best is your own marketplace for them as some customers will take hundreds per months during years... I stopped this game a few years ago, I continue to sell some over my backorder service, but buying for reselling is not as easy as before, the competition is much higher than before due to the spread of tools to detects good domains, it's another story :)

•••
And really good SEO domains (with valuable parameters) you can't handreg... ~always competition there.
My friend started from APIs and later moved to backorders only.

•••

I've done that in the past for seo domains, had a lot of customers coming back every few days, trust was there.

I've been running my SEO domain shop for years. Lot of constant buyers, but it certainly takes time.

And i never take Paypal, at least not from the first time buyers. They can pay Paypal but via 2checkout, which are checking the payments very well and are always on the merchant side.

And: i never point my domains to the shop. They all are on Parkingcrew. First, most SEO domains still bring some residual traffic which converts to some additional $$ for me; and second, few times i got offers via landing higher than the domain was listed on my site.

However, apologies for continuing derailing the Dan thread with SEO domain discussion. Maybe mods can move this branch to a separate thread.

Last edited:
•••
Got the rude-shock email as well, and this is what I see:

That there's nothing in this email that sounds right at all. Not one bit.

You complain about certain users abusing with txs $20 and below, but you don't even let users sell at $30.
You don't go after those specific abusers, instead you kill the chance for everybody with a "shocking surprise".
You didn't even give warnings to let violators know that they're actually abusing it. How the hell would anyone know that he/she abused your system, if you never tell them in the 1st place???

And another (based on memory):
You (Undeveloped, not DAN) used to say that the marketplace is not only for expensive domains, but now it's clear that you no longer welcome non-expensive domains.

What about rentals then? Last I checked the minimum was a high $50, which was also why I never used the rentals.

There are obviously better solutions around this, e.g. allotting a limited monthly/daily quota on small transactions, or put small txs under the lowest priority with delays, or forcing payouts in DOGE (since their mining fees should still be rock bottom + easy exchange) or whatever cheap payout methods (EDIT: + the most obvious one, which is directly going after the culprits), but you rather go through this very rude way.

And the worst part, there are more staff now than what it used to be and yet this happened. I've already long accepted the fact that DAN only operates during Amsterdam office hours and patiently waited for the domains to be pushed, which is still bad for a 24/7 industry, but that is still much more tolerable compared to this.

You've never experienced the anxiety of a really poor seller thinking about whether that $10 is really going to come and stay in the wallet or not, so it's only understandable that such a change could happen.

And the irony? You can translate DAN pages into Hindi, a language for a country well known for it's poverty and weak currency, and yet you can do this.

Why I use DAN a lot? Because many here on NP use PayPal, and I avoid PP as much as possible. Bad fees that are worse for txs $30 and below, countless nightmare stories about PP, and the hidden taxes imposed (can get slapped with 15% taxes) when European buyers (not sellers!) pay me. So I use DAN so that my wholesale buyers can pay me PP while I receive in other forms. Even when I did tiny txs I made sure that you don't get too much damage by choosing ETH as payout (the best method I could think of). I don't know if I did do "high volumes" (and I don't even know how many txs is considered "high volume") of small txs in the past, if I did, I'm sorry, but I know I don't do a lot of that these days. For many bulk sales I just send the best 1 to DAN and push the rest manually, which means I'm also already lightening your workload most of the time.

Good thing I no longer have to rely so much on small wholesale txs thanks to meeting some bigger wholesale buyers, but does it matter? Other people still need it. So do I at certain times.

DAN is (or was) practically the bigger version of Epik, allowing users from other registrars to receive flexible payouts just like the sellers in Epik. To have to depend on only 1 registrar/marketplace for flexi payouts is obviously too ridiculous. So what if so many people sell a lot at GD, when many others don't have the luxury of having the accounts to receive payouts from GD (remember that GD doesn't allow ACH payouts to American bank accounts owned by non-Americans = anti Payoneer users)? Last I read, you can't even receive wires from GD unless you get $1000 first.

For the people who have huge portfolios, lowball leads are obviously a total waste of time. But for the people who have little, every lead is important. It means a chance to sell. It means that the name has at least some demand. Some are able to sell 1 domain at 4-figs. Others are able to sell small/by bulk. Why indirectly kill the bulk/small sellers just because you don't agree with how they sell?

Was happy when Reza mentioned (in PM, sometime ago) that "Once we've automated bulk sales we can offer this service", thinking that portfolio escrows will be possible in the future, but it turns out to be rotten hope.

=====

Don't know about Flippa, might work, but I hope there won't be verification nightmares like some have mentioned. And last I saw they now use Escrow.com, another site that pays like a GD.

I don't have to say all this, I can always go elsewhere for small txs, but there are others who need this. Don't you think of them?

You're obviously not putting any pressure on your clients. They buy the name, they get it, and then they walk away. That's it. It's your sellers that you're putting pressure on.

And don't even bother to end the note with "have a great day/weekend" tied to such a horrible announcement of restrictions when you don't even mean it, since this is very insulting to your users.
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/have-a-nice-day-sarcastic.296757/

Last edited:
•••
First time I'm seeing my name on DAN.com

upload_2020-7-20_10-43-49.png

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back