IT.COM

.us Computer.us sells at T.r.a.f.f.i.c

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Great sale for the current market IMO $17,000

Don't let those premiums go cheap guy's. Hold your ground on price points

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great sale. That is 1/100 (okay, may a slight exaggeration) of what the .com would have gone for. Not a bad buy when you think about it.

•••
•••
fonzie_007 said:
Great sale. That is 1/100 (okay, may a slight exaggeration) of what the .com would have gone for. Not a bad buy when you think about it.

The .com sold for $2.1 million dollars, so less than 1%. 0.85% to be exact :hehe:

•••
snoop said:
The .com sold for $2.1 million dollars, so less than 1%. 0.85% to be exact :hehe:
Maybe I wasn't too far off after all...

•••
wot said:
Baaaaad news for .us.

I agree. If a prime name like this is selling for peanuts in an auction format, that doesn't bode well for .us in the near future.

•••
nice one, it`s actually a very nice name.

does anyone have the whole sales report?

Thanks

•••
domainica said:
I agree. If a prime name like this is selling for peanuts in an auction format, that doesn't bode well for .us in the near future.
Disappointed too but IMHO it just shows that .us has yet to mature.

•••
video.us still sold for a lot less than it sold for a year ago.

•••
malibumobile said:
video.us still sold for a lot less than it sold for a year ago.
Good point. But it was initially bought by an end user and I guess the high bidder is just a domainer. BTW I still see Pool.com In Trust in whois for video.us. Still pending payment ?

•••
I'm try to optimistic about these things.

If it was sold to a domainer, then it was a great sale price.

If it was sold to a end user they'll have more capital available for their roll out advertising :hehe:

•••
duceman said:
I'm try to optimistic about these things.

If it was sold to a domainer, then it was a great sale price.

If it was sold to a end user they'll have more capital available for their roll out advertising :hehe:

I don't think they get many end users at auctions yet so likely a domainer but still peanuts for what is a major cctld and top keyword.

End users at auctions will be the holy grail of auctions, unfortunately domain names are still not mainstream accepted as necessary- all takes time.

•••
I'm not as pessimistic about this sale as other seem to be. For me, it demonstrates there are good buys out there that provide better value than dropped large sums of cash for the .com equivalent. With a little marketing, .us would prosper. The only problem is that Neustar has shown absolutely no interest in effectively marketing the extension.

•••
^^ Its too bad that the only people that know that are the .US supporters :(

•••
fonzie_007 said:
For me, it demonstrates there are good buys out there that provide better value than dropped large sums of cash for the .com equivalent.

What do you base this on, has .us not been one of the worst perfoming extensions over the last few years?

•••
snoop said:
What do you base this on, has .us not been one of the worst perfoming extensions over the last few years?
Depends how you define performance. My comment was made through the prespective of end users and what they are getting for their money versus through the prespective of domainers.

•••
snoop said:
Well, I got to say that you and the rest of the com only crowd have sure worked at doing everything that they can to restrict .US acceptance and growth. It's easy to see why, being as that the .US extension is the biggest potential future threat to the idea that .com is the US extension. But it's just that reason why some of the biggest com holders are saying one thing and buying a few choice .US names at the same time.

The reason why a number of some very smart guys are into the .US extension is that it doesn't take much vision to see that with the growth of the Net and the recognition of country codes by more Americans (the net's main market) that at some point they will recognize the ccTLD of their own country. Sure it would help if the registry actually did something to promote it. But what an opportunity when they wake up. Imagine the hype that "change" could bring America. ;)

I also take issue with your "performing" statement as I've done much better ROI wise with .US than with my coms (and I have a lot of coms). The risk/reward ratio for the "right" .US domains right now looks much more attractive to me in comparison with com. The fundamentals seem to favor the idea of .US closing the spread with .com (in the end user market) due to demand created by the 50%+ of American small to medium businesses that have yet to establish a significant marketing presence on the web and at the same time needing to take extra measures to expand their sales in a down economy.

While I've seen some "correcting" in the gradual .US march, I've seen the same thing in the secondary .com market via some losses taken on a few premium coms as well.

Heck Snoop, you're in Australia, and I don't think you own more than a couple .US if any anymore. Would you apply some of your same feelings for the .au extension, or is that not a threat to your prime .com portfolio?

•••
-OutlawBiker- said:
Would you apply some of your same feelings for the .au extension, or is that not a threat to your prime .com portfolio?

No .com.au is a long established counytry country code, like many others such as .co.uk, .de etc it has been around about as long as the commercial internet and is the "default" extension here, much like .com is the "default" extension for the United States.

.com.au has little speculative value though due to resale restrictions.

•••
snoop said:
No .com.au is a long established counytry country code, like many others such as .co.uk, .de etc it has been around about as long as the commercial internet and is the "default" extension here, much like .com is the "default" extension for the United States. .com.au has little speculative value though due to resale restrictions.
What I think a lot of domainers miss is that the .US extension has been around from way back when, and used for the official addresses of the US Cities, States, Municipals, and the services put out by those huge GEO entities. It was "released" for "public" use in 2002.

IMO that is where the .US movement will start with both Americans and Foreign companies. I believe it will branch off from that long standing acceptance. More recognition, less cost of entry, and the move to local search, should have a very positive impact on the business demand for .US identifiable addresses. Domainers investing in the extension need to address the adoption line and quit thinking just because there may be a market for twitching.com, the .US market hasn't fallen because their having trouble selling twitching.us. Shouldn't have bot that one anyway.

I expect to participate in the addition of between 2 and 3,000 more .US names this year. I know of other pretty smart guys that have similar plans.

•••
Buy low sell high. Right now .us is low and it is difficult to see how prices could get any lower than they already are. Despite the depressed prices in the .us marketspace, I am still optimistic long term.

•••
fonzie_007 said:
Right now .us is low and it is difficult to see how prices could get any lower than they already are.

Probably by continuing the downward trend they are already on.

•••
snoop said:
Probably by continuing the downward trend they are already on.

Prove the downward trend please. Just as a single sale is not proof of an upward trend, please provide the evidence of the downward trend of which you write. Thanks.

•••
How come my computer.vc didnt fetch that :( I know JK of course, ccTLD etc etc. :)

•••
Fundraiser said:
Prove the downward trend please. Just as a single sale is not proof of an upward trend, please provide the evidence of the downward trend of which you write. Thanks.

The falls in min price for three letter .us are probably the best example

Now: 3-Letter .us - $65 (Unchanged)
June 1, 2007: 3-Letter .us - $90 (-$5 since May 1, 2007 report)
Jan 2007, 3-Letter .us - $110 (+10 since December 1, 2006 report)

Now prove to me that you are in denial and would never admit these names were falling in value regardless of the evidence to the contrary!

•••
Some people are missing the point a bit.
We are all in this game for profit but we are restricted by our spending capacity.

Sure, we would all love to buy a premium one word .com cheap and sell it high but the vast majority have to buy a premium word in another TLD and hope to sell that on.

A .us sale will nearly always struggle to yield as much profit as a .com but it doesn't mean clever speculation in the .us market cannot reap huge benefits.

We bought usi .us for $125 and sold it for $3500 about 18 months ago.
Now, percentage wise, thats a great profit though it only actually yields $3375. You could buy a half-decent LLL.com for $6500 and sell for $10000 which gives you more actualy monetary profit but look at the difference in initial investment.

THIS is why .us still makes a lot of sense.
I conceed that I shake my head when I see members on here registering crap which may never actually be worth more than reg fee BUT wise buys like premium LLL and one worders with business meaning do make great sense.

.US being 1% of .com is meaningless if the .us names are being bought at 0.5%

Of course, this is the worst scenario on a TLD that hasn't yet got off the starting blocks in the public psyche but it still makes .us speculators money.
IF, and to be fair, it is an 'if', the .US market goes mainstream then there will be a lot of new millionaires on here.

I dont see it as a grossly losing situation. Its a win-maybe massive win scenario. The prices are low enough to keep any potential losses minimal.

Even if you bought 20 crapish LLL.us for $50 and they dropped over the year to be worth $25 each to resellers if you make ONE sale of $1000 you've paid back your investment.

We paid off our whole .us investment in about 9 months and therefore we are left with 120 LLL and a further 100 good names effectively for free excluding renewals.

I think when we sold trader .us for $8000 (bought at low $xxx) last year that one sale bought us a 2 character .com which we sold for $18000.
There is a moral here somewhere. Get going with .us and progress to .com.

Would we trade our whole .us portfolio for one top .com...

Yes, we probably would. I'm not going to sit here and deny the .com is still the best choice when you have the money. The .us is unquestionably in a quiet period but it does tend to go in phases.
We haven't had any $xxxx offers on any of our LLL.us for at least 9 months though we did have a $750 offer on a LLL with a 'J' which was an $18 buy.

Sit and wait.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back