IT.COM

Colin Campbell predicts Top 5 new extensions: .WEB .SHOP .CLUB .APP .BLOG

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Yesterday evening on Twitter, .Club CEO and co-founder Colin Campbell made a prediction about the “top” 5 new domain extensions in ten years. Here’s what he posted and what his predictions are:

Prediction: Top 5 new domain extensions: .WEB .SHOP .CLUB .APP .BLOG 10 years from now.

Source

Your prediction and take on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.xyz .online .club .top .site are current top 5 .

but i think .online will be the final winner .

•••
.xyz .online .club .top .site are current top 5 .

but i think .online will be the final winner .

yes in the top 5 of reg numbers, which does not mean anything (i.e .tk).
.top????? Seriously???
LOL

My prediction? .com
In 10 years from now I guess 90% of newgtlds will no longer exists

•••
Top extensions like... .biz today ?

•••
I think it will be .VIP, .ONLINE, .BLOG, .WEB, .CLUB

•••
just because apps are popular, they have no need for a domain name seeing as you don't use a browser to use or download them, so .app doesn't make much sense to me.

.club has nice sales but i doubt it will last much longer.

The only ntld i expect to have any legitimate longevity is .blog

•••
my prediction of the top 5:

.com, .net, .org, .info, .co

•••
New TLDs is jungle, as was proven market don't trust them significantly to support domainers' investment.

I've bought some TLDs for few bucks as "special offer" / strong discount, and I don't know if I'll renew them...

Today, and for a long time!, .COM is the international extension that ensures clarity, standardization, in other words it is normal... just say the left side of the domain name without specifying anything!

Considering the business sector, my prediction about the success of nTLD turns to neutral and short ones:
.WEB could be in the same league as .NET
.XYZ, IMO a bit awkward, but enough abstract and generalist, ... and as a long as China invests on it!

Others, maybe, will be able to consolidate in certain niches.

Last edited:
•••
lol...This is just like THIEF SHOUTING "THIEF ..THIEF".

•••
I do agree with .web - Historically resembles .com, three letters, sync with Internet, popular term.

•••
•••
I disagree with his prediction. But I like .shop and .club from the list.

Last edited:
•••
I think ccTLDs will fare better than vanity domains(ngTLDs). After com, net, and org, country codes seem best.

•••
•••
If we are making predictions for the heck of it i'd say

.live
.one
.tech
.shop
.xyz

In no particular order.

Last edited:
•••
whats wrong with .biz?
It's among the most successful new extensions but still considered a failure. I mean, this is the benchmark for the others. Certainly not good for domainers.

•••
•••
.com is like a well-fortified castle, so far easily defending herself against all barbarians at the gate...

Another analogy... All the new G's, and the ones yet to come, are like water against rock. Eventually the rock may crack but it's not a good bet that it will happen tomorrow.

•••
Yesterday evening on Twitter, .Club CEO and co-founder Colin Campbell made a prediction about the “top” 5 new domain extensions in ten years. Here’s what he posted and what his predictions are:

Prediction: Top 5 new domain extensions: .WEB .SHOP .CLUB .APP .BLOG 10 years from now.

Source

Your prediction and take on this?

maybe sometimes in 2025.. any gtld to takeover .com needs far long time.

•••
My thoughts are .web only...
I think it can create its position with the .net

•••
I like .app as it's pretty generic. .bike can only be about bikes for example.

•••
I think it will be .VIP, .ONLINE, .BLOG, .WEB, .CLUB

I agree with you, but .SHOP is also good.
My TOP5 .VIP, .SHOP, .BLOG, .WEB, .CLUB

Last edited:
•••
It's among the most successful new extensions but still considered a failure. I mean, this is the benchmark for the others. Certainly not good for domainers.
I still see .biz as spammy and junk, due to the large numbers of spammers who used it when it came out.

Also, any spelling of s with z (salez, warez) makes me run a mile.

•••
If run properly .WEB should obliterate any other new gTLD in a short time, and could even threaten .NET for it's spot.

.SHOP .CLUB .APP .BLOG are just not generic enough to make a big impression.

Last edited:
•••
.web
.online

The above in my opinion are redundant, it adds no value to the domain name. It's like saying .internet and what's the shortened version of that: .net Do we really need another .net? The internet is the future and will only become more widespread, if these new gltds are to ever take off they need to add value/be descriptive to the keyword on the left side of the dot.

I can see the following doing well eventually:

.shop
.blog
.app
.live
.club

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back