IT.COM

advice Choice for startup .io .xyz or .pro

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sandyhere

Established Member
Impact
I have a start up plan for an online service. As usual legacy extensions have already been taken. I want to keep name short hence will prefer any of above extensions.
What you feel which one will be best for long term. I have costly option of buying .com in aftermarket but this is beyond discussion for present thread.
My assessment
.io is popular among startups, .xyz is booming rapidly and cheap to try, .pro also appears nice option.
Please give your views in comparison.
Thanks pals.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.io looks a lot nicer than the other too when written with a business name - I think it's the right approach for a tech startup hence it's fairly common. I'd go with that.

•••
.PRO or .me - what is more organic for your keyword...

•••
.IO or spend a bit more and get a .com. IMO

•••
•••
You should go with .xyz.
But if IT/Tech related online service than go for .io and for professional services .pro is good.

•••
•••
You may also consider .IT (for IT-related startup).
epik.com provides local contact if needed.

•••
Your ideal keyword may be expensive in .COM but if your startup becomes a success on another extension the .COM will become far more expensive than it would have been otherwise. Imagine if Facebook had launched on a .IO and then wanted to buy the .COM later. You can probably still find a suitable brandable .COM that is affordable and consider other options later.

As a financial professional who sees how much companies spend on marketing, IT costs, professional services, travel, business licenses, employee benefits, etc. I would question how a startup plan can comprehend all those costs but only has a $10 domain budget. Yet branding on a poor-quality domain can actually limit your startup's likelihood of success.

•••
go with xyz, cheaper, better than io

•••
Your ideal keyword may be expensive in .COM but if your startup becomes a success on another extension the .COM will become far more expensive than it would have been otherwise. Imagine if Facebook had launched on a .IO and then wanted to buy the .COM later. You can probably still find a suitable brandable .COM that is affordable and consider other options later.

As a financial professional who sees how much companies spend on marketing, IT costs, professional services, travel, business licenses, employee benefits, etc. I would question how a startup plan can comprehend all those costs but only has a $10 domain budget. Yet branding on a poor-quality domain can actually limit your startup's likelihood of success.
I know this will drag on to .com vs new gTLD discussion that's why I kept it away in the starting itself. I am still searching for suitable .com but not averse to new TLDs either. Those TLDs mentioned here are hot cakes in market may be because people have started building something up there.

•••
All of mentioned here TLDs are traditional gTLD/ccTLDs... except .xyz (nTLD).

Last edited:
•••
I say go .pro and buy the .xyz
.if there is no way you can find a variation on a .com

•••
p.s. A lot of startups don't own .com and are happy...

•••
•••
.io

Because of it's slightly premium cost it does seem more professional. A lot of tech start ups use it as well. When you have namecheap doing $0.88 xyz domains, it does hurt the perceived professionalism of that extension.

•••
go .pro is my guess but it really depends on your intended purpose, .io is extremely overrated and will disappoint most in future, .xyz is not worth talking about ... plenty of other extensions to consider as well like .tech, .online, .co, .me ....

•••
Last edited:
•••
If the service is geared towards startups/developers, I'd go with .IO, but if it's for consumers, I'd probably go with .CO.

•••
If you are going to make a video and will mention the domain think which would be easier to say:
.pro
.io
.xyz
Consider which country or region are you going to target. which age range and so on.
IMO the best choice would be .io and .pro
What about .net or .co? Can you get any?

•••
I'd go for a .Club .Work or .Pro

•••
I have a start up plan for an online service. As usual legacy extensions have already been taken. I want to keep name short hence will prefer any of above extensions.
What you feel which one will be best for long term. I have costly option of buying .com in aftermarket but this is beyond discussion for present thread.
My assessment
.io is popular among startups, .xyz is booming rapidly and cheap to try, .pro also appears nice option.
Please give your views in comparison.
Thanks pals.
PM me please -I have your name for you.

•••
Just because we know what .io means, doesnt mean all your customers will even recognize it or even trust it. I was doing work for Lithuanian man. He wants site to rent the basement weekly. I have nice .com for that. I want to buy he says. Go for .ca was my reply, very local market.
.what... all he knew was .com
All these extensions are very confusing.

•••
I read some research about startups in the past (before nTLD)...
.me was 2nd most popular TLD among startupers...

•••
I'd say .io but there's an extension MANY are missing .ch (Swiss) Not expensive-many names avail. and been around many years-we own 10 year old Caifu.ch (wealthy) in Chinese. Best of luck to you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back