IT.COM

new gtlds New startup advertises their newgTLD .LIFE domain on TV commercial

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Potential.Domains

Established Member
Impact
A new biotech / health care startup recently advertised their newgTLD .LIFE domain on TV, just like other companies are doing with their premium .COM addresses on TV commercials.

The medical biotechnology startup, known as Innovation Saves, appears to be in the business of vaccines and innovation that address several diseases, etc., based on basic information found on their site at innovationsaves.life

If I'm not mistaken, their ad aired on CNBC southeastern region today (Sept. 9). The company has a Washington DC address on their website.

Q: If this startup could afford to spend an average of $10K for 30 secs advertising on TV (according to DomainShane estimates); why did they settle for less with a newgtld .LIFE domain for their website, and not acquire their EMD .COM name?

Obviously, the .LIFE domain makes sense for them since they claim to be saving "Life"/Lives. Otherwise, they probably would have chosen a random TLD?

The real question now is, if this trend continues where new startups settle for less instead of buying premium .COMs for their brand; don't you think this could potentially affect .COM aftermarket sales? To what degree?

Note: I have no affiliation whatsoever with the startup mentioned in this thread. Neither am I a supporter or fan of vaccines. It was simply interesting to see a new startup advertise their domain on TV commercial.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those new gtld extensions are a mystery for me too. Will they pick-up or not ?

One big problem I see is that the registration price is not regulated and may change with no or minimal notice. An other problem is: will consumers use them when searching the web. Personally, I would visit such sites more by curiosity (why the hell did they choose such as extenion ???) rather than real interest.

Nobody has the answer, but there are big promotional budgets for these new extensions.

That said, I ran a little statistics on 12k companies qualified 'startup'. I am not too sure of the quality of the data, but here is what I've found as far as extension used:

Ext
NbCompanies
.com 9818
.net 204
.org 139

Country extensions
Total: 2611
.co 754
.io 447
.me 241
.in 92
.com.br 75

New extensions
Total: 98
.xyz 10
.asia 7
.pro 6
.live 4
.rocks 4
.tech 4
.bike 4
.life 3
.social 3
.city 2
.company 2
.travel 2
.media 2
.aero 2
.nyc 2
.global 2
.bio 2
.today 2
.digital 1
.agency 1
.Direct 1
.app 1
.deals 1
.center 1
.CEO 1
.fit 1
.audio 1
.casa 1
.buzz 1
.blue 1
.beer 1
.chat 1
.reviews 1
.work 1
.website 1
.watch 1
.vote 1
.video 1
.tours 1
.tattoo 1
.systems 1
.jewelry 1
.ski 1
.flights 1
.pics 1
.news 1
.network 1
.link 1
.jobs 1
.help 1
.gallery 1
.fund 1
.style 1

These numbers clearly show that .com remains the most popular, but also that nearly 1% of startups dared using new extensions (and that happened within 2-3 years versus 20 years of .com extension).

•••
A new biotech / health care startup recently advertised their newgTLD .LIFE domain on TV, just like other companies are doing with their premium .COM addresses on TV commercials.

The medical biotechnology startup, known as Innovation Saves, appears to be in the business of vaccines and innovation that address several diseases, etc., based on basic information found on their site at innovationsaves.life

If I'm not mistaken, their ad aired on CNBC southeastern region today (Sept. 9). The company has a Washington DC address on their website.

Q: If this startup could afford to spend an average of $10K for 30 secs advertising on TV (according to DomainShane estimates); why did they settle for less with a newgtld .LIFE domain for their website, and not acquire their EMD .COM name?

Obviously, the .LIFE domain makes sense for them since they claim to be saving "Life"/Lives. Otherwise, they probably would have chosen a random TLD?

The real question now is, if this trend continues where new startups settle for less instead of buying premium .COMs for their brand; don't you think this could potentially affect .COM aftermarket sales? To what degree?

Note: I have no affiliation whatsoever with the startup mentioned in this thread. Neither am I a supporter or fan of vaccines. It was simply interesting to see a new startup advertise their domain on TV commercial.

Great news thanks for sharing! Found their ad, amusing the same as on TV. :)

Last edited:
•••
Great news thanks for sharing! Found their ad, amusing the same as on TV. :)

Thanks for sharing @mad409

The startup looks promising, from the look of their video ad.

I never actually saw (or, paid attention to) the ad on TV, but when I heard their .life domain name towards the end, it caught my attention and I typed-in their domain right away, to find out. Though, am not sure a non-domainer could've grasped their domain address right away--like I did.

I find it interesting that they bought their newgtld domain at Godaddy - the largest registrar, and they've been promoting newgtld options heavily (and algorithmic) when searching for domains to register.

If more startups are settling for alternative cctlds and gtlds when their dotcom choice is taken, this would surely affect .com aftermarket sales. This could also explain why many elite domainers, are the ones now selling us newgtlds, amidst decline of premium .com sales?

•••

One big problem I see is that the registration price is not regulated and may change with no or minimal notice. An other problem is: will consumers use them when searching the web. Personally, I would visit such sites more by curiosity (why the hell did they choose such as extenion ???) rather than real interest.

Nobody has the answer, but there are big promotional budgets for these new extensions.

That said, I ran a little statistics on 12k companies qualified 'startup'. I am not too sure of the quality of the data, but here is what I've found as far as extension used:

Ext
NbCompanies
.com 9818
.net 204
.org 139

Country extensions
.co 754
.io 447
.me 241
.in 92
.com.br 75

New extensions
.xyz 10
.asia 7
.pro 6
.live 4
.rocks 4
.tech 4
.bike 4
.life 3
.social 3
.city 2
.company 2
.travel 2
.media 2
.aero 2
.nyc 2
.global 2
.bio 2
.today 2
.digital 1
.agency 1
.Direct 1
.app 1
.deals 1
.center 1
.CEO 1
.fit 1
.audio 1
.casa 1
.buzz 1
.blue 1
.beer 1
.chat 1
.reviews 1
.work 1
.website 1
.watch 1
.vote 1
.video 1
.tours 1
.tattoo 1
.systems 1
.jewelry 1
.ski 1
.flights 1
.pics 1
.news 1
.network 1
.link 1
.jobs 1
.help 1
.gallery 1
.fund 1
.style 1

These numbers clearly show that .com remains the most popular, but also that nearly 1% of startups dared using new extensions (and that happened within 2-3 years versus 20 years of .com extension).

The newgtld aftermarket space is a very speculative one for me. Whether they will pick up or not, that is yet to be proven. I am yet to sell any newgtld, maybe due to my asking price, but I have quite a few highly potential domains planning to hold for a minimum of at least 5 years.

Now, I have received some offers for my newgtlds (mostly BINs), but the transaction never materialized due to buyer inactivity. One of such transaction was for an exact match .world domain name with a $50K BIN. This particular domain would probably have sold with a much more lower BIN.

I also hate the fact that registration price of newgtlds are not regulated, and I can't seem to understand why ICANN or the FTC would allow that.

Imagine registering a highly potential domain name for $16.99/yr (regular price), but months or years later the registry bumps the price up to $49.99/yr, forcing the registrant to not renew their asset, and the registry regaining the domain name back, then reduce pricing back to $16.99/yr. This might sound unreal, but its possible, considering the lack of regulations/limitations.

•••
After watching the video, I am puzzled by the marketing choices made by this company.

- I don't like at all their hacked domain name
- I think their domain name is much too long
- The video does not look efficient from a marketing side. It did not give me any desire to listen to the rest or to learn more about the company.

Yet, they look professionals. I suppose they that have invested time and money to produce this video, that they have compared various campaigns and have come up with what they feel is the best solution to reach their public.

May be I live on an other planet.

•••
This isn't a startup. It's the Biotechnology Innovation Organisation (bio.org) - a US based corporate lobbyist group for the biotechnology industry which pushes for tax breaks for R&D - and this is a marketing campaign-specific site serving as a landing page for this ad campaign. In 2013 BIO had revenue of $65m.

This small scale campaign is designed to get people to sign up to their mailing list - presumably to create a local "grassroots" group to fight a specific issue in this state, almost certainly related to R&D tax breaks.

It's a good emotive advert but not a startup - rather a piece of propaganda for a supremely well funded corporate lobbyist.

•••
This isn't a startup. It's the Biotechnology Innovation Organisation (bio.org) - a US based corporate lobbyist group for the biotechnology industry which pushes for tax breaks for R&D - and this is a marketing campaign-specific site serving as a landing page for this ad campaign. In 2013 BIO had revenue of $65m.

This small scale campaign is designed to get people to sign up to their mailing list - presumably to create a local "grassroots" group to fight a specific issue in this state, almost certainly related to R&D tax breaks.

It's a good emotive advert but not a startup - rather a piece of propaganda for a supremely well funded corporate lobbyist.

Thanks for chipping in @pfj

Their website provides no background information on who they are; was not even exactly sure what services they provide. Their tv ad has been airing constantly on CNBC.

Now, this explains why they have the luxury to be spending an estimated $10k for 30secs TV ads. BIO is a market leader in their space.

If the campaign site is an initiative of BIO and is of good deeds, why wouldn't they want to mention their name anywhere on the site (provide background information)?

•••
Got VegasNight.life and LasVegasNight.life

•••

Ext
NbCompanies
.com 9818
.net 204
.org 139

Country extensions
.co 754
.io 447
.me 241
.in 92
.com.br 75

New extensions
.xyz 10
.asia 7
.pro 6
.live 4
.rocks 4
.tech 4
.bike 4
.life 3
.social 3
.city 2
.company 2
.travel 2
.media 2
.aero 2
.nyc 2
.global 2
.bio 2
.today 2
.digital 1
.agency 1
.Direct 1
.app 1
.deals 1
.center 1
.CEO 1
.fit 1
.audio 1
.casa 1
.buzz 1
.blue 1
.beer 1
.chat 1
.reviews 1
.work 1
.website 1
.watch 1
.vote 1
.video 1
.tours 1
.tattoo 1
.systems 1
.jewelry 1
.ski 1
.flights 1
.pics 1
.news 1
.network 1
.link 1
.jobs 1
.help 1
.gallery 1
.fund 1
.style 1

And nearly 28% used something other than .com whereas just a few short years ago, 98% of startups used .com
The increased use of cc's is an indicator of "willingness" by Real end users to use something other than .com
Thanks for the info
Nice!

•••

I think we'll see more GTLDs used for specific campaign-focused branding by big companies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back