IT.COM

advice Choice for startup .io .xyz or .pro

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sandyhere

Established Member
Impact
I have a start up plan for an online service. As usual legacy extensions have already been taken. I want to keep name short hence will prefer any of above extensions.
What you feel which one will be best for long term. I have costly option of buying .com in aftermarket but this is beyond discussion for present thread.
My assessment
.io is popular among startups, .xyz is booming rapidly and cheap to try, .pro also appears nice option.
Please give your views in comparison.
Thanks pals.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dot co, cheaper, more recognized, short, makes sense

•••
I saw the only one successful .co-startup: ello.co

•••
•••
•••
Try to get a .com or .xyz. I would think carefully about using a country code like .io, despite the fact that Google treats it as a generic. At the end of the day, it stands for Indian Ocean, not in/out. There are also certain restrictions on its use.

•••
This is why I keep few short .com names as options for myself for tech startup because if I try to get it when I need it will cost fortune. I have elix.com for electronics, tuth.com for Bluetooth, anem.com for wind/life/animation, qold.com for gold, ayro.com for aero, lvrg.com for leverage, many vr names, and many others that will fit the niches I am interested in.

I would never come up with the brand for my company without making sure I have its .com

But again if it has to be the brand and .com is out of rich, .io is trendy.

•••
Out of those extensions you specified I would suggest you go for .io. It is already associated with innovative disruptive firms.More so if your planned venture is in the area of finance, tech, ecommerce. entertainment etc

•••
5L.com is good for business.

•••
.pro can be a bit cheesy
.io great for tech app or software
.xyz good for anything

•••
•••
dot co, cheaper, more recognized, short, makes sense
.co risky domain will loose good traffic. Trust me I've made money parking .com domains that where similar to .co sites

•••
•••
Change your name and get the .com. Search for "Paul Graham change your name" for a strong rationale around this from a leading investor.

•••
.com is some kin(d/g) of religion in American mind... so nothing new in such advice...

Last edited:
•••
What does religion have to do with the market adoption?

If the consumers know .com, expect .com, type .com, judge by .com, why would any company waste resources (marketing money, time explaining etc.) trying to go against this adoption, all while gifting its traffic to .com or .cctld, while potentially also losing valuable email inquiries etc?

•••
OK, just one example: try to sell any .com to Polish-enduser... and write your results...

•••
OK, just one example: try to sold any .com to Polish-enduser... and write your results...

That is why I wrote "or .cctld". For countries like Poland, Germany, Russia etc. .pl, .de, .ru etc. are the default (bigger market adaptation), so if you are geared to local market, your first choice is the .cctld, if you have some international ambition, you might want .com too.

•••
personally i would need a gun stuck to my head to use one of these as my extension for my site.

i guess i would go with .io

•••
Another example: the domain instant.ly was sold for $32K (2012).
instantly.com is still unused.

•••
I am not sold on .xyz. Just doesn't come off as professional or serious. .io seems to be getting traction but only time will tell..to see if it picks up among common folks. I would just save and get a .com. However if i had no other choice I would easily choose .io over that kids play extension.

•••
•••
Accordingly PL-endusers: .EU is 2nd choice for them, not .com

•••
Another example: the domain instant.ly was sold for $32K (2012).
instantly.com is still unused.

Could be because instantly.com refused to sell or asked for 6 digits.

Regardless, even on empty page instantly.com has Alexa rank of 12M, while Instant.ly company got bought out by another company. That is what happens when you are not wise with your money ))

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back