Dynadot

advice Choice for startup .io .xyz or .pro

NameSilo
Watch

sandyhere

Established Member
Impact
I have a start up plan for an online service. As usual legacy extensions have already been taken. I want to keep name short hence will prefer any of above extensions.
What you feel which one will be best for long term. I have costly option of buying .com in aftermarket but this is beyond discussion for present thread.
My assessment
.io is popular among startups, .xyz is booming rapidly and cheap to try, .pro also appears nice option.
Please give your views in comparison.
Thanks pals.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
But no doubts for me... because I regularly work with .PRO-WHOIS and visit them...
Also saw via TV-ads...

•••
But no doubts for me... because I regularly work with .PRO-WHOIS and visit them...
Also seeing via TV-ads...

Sure. If you say so. Also, it probably has to be Chinese premium letters .pro for Russia, right? What about dashes? Do they like dashes?

•••
No, this is like tender.pro or multivarka.pro and tons of other keywords...

•••
while Instant.ly company got bought out by another company. That is what happens when you are not wise with your money ))
This is what happens with almost all successful startups...

•••
Try dot com as hard as you can.
It's hard to convince end users you are serious about your business while they receive your email from a none dot com domain.

•••
Also saw many serious PL and FR-endusers in .PRO
I even already sold 3 French geodomains .PRO

•••
io is better among all mentioned, I think this is becoming popular and very soon this will be more popular after net

•••
Just because we know what .io means, doesnt mean all your customers will even recognize it or even trust it. I was doing work for Lithuanian man. He wants site to rent the basement weekly. I have nice .com for that. I want to buy he says. Go for .ca was my reply, very local market.
.what... all he knew was .com
All these extensions are very confusing.
That is why com will dominate for ever as for as domains are concerned

•••
I have a start up plan for an online service . . .
. . . I have costly option of buying .com in aftermarket but this is beyond discussion for present thread.

I am most partial to IO, I hold many and I am a geek so I am biased.

Let's pretend your great IO name is x9qv dot IO. Is there x9qv[descriptiveword] dot com and you could buy both? Or BUYx9qv, GETx9qv dot com or some variation? Then you could redirect the two word dot com to ease lay people into the IO. Then later when it takes off upgrade to the expensive already taken x9qv dot com

If it is a service that most people will access online through a link or downloading an app then I think it matters less and you could just get the IO

•••
Thanks for all the great inputs here which will be of immense help for many prospective developers like me to choose the better suited TLD for our projects. I am keenly studying this thread and learning different angles to look at this.

•••
Out of all those extensions you mentioned.

Go with .io in a heart beat.

Obviously, if you can, snag a .com or a .net. Then if it comes completely down to it, snag a .org.
Reason being... those are extensions the average person knows.

If you grab a .co, you take the chance of either giving business to others by redirects/misspellings of .com from .co out of habit when typing fast, to whoever has the .com version of the domain, but then again it happens vice versa when holding a .com, as traffic comes from the .com's to the .co's

I snag .co's all the time, but strictly for redirect traffic purpose from typos of the .com

Out of the extensions you mentioned though, .io all the way.

I do SEO and am very very good at it, as well as me having many networks and knowing many professionals in the industry who are SEO Experts and strictly do that for a living.

.io extensions are recognized everywhere and google recognizes them as top domain extensions, not limiting them to any country.
You have the chance to get a very very strong domain with an awesome brand, and a wayyyyyyyy easier chance of ranking it in search engines.

For .PRO, you should prepare yourself for a different route of advertising and marketing because the average person does not know about the .pro domain extension.
But branding wise, if you did say your domain to someone when attempting to get business, it may result in a quick explanation of that new extension, but psycologically telling them that, you toss "pro" in their head, which will probably have a good effect gaining their trust with or without them knowing.
Also keep in mind though... .PRO is very hard to rank unless it is a domain hack with whatever your brand is.
And in my opinion, as a business professional, you do not want a company name based on a Domain Hack.
Just not good at all.

For .xyz the ranking is even harder and a I also read a recent poll (I tried to find it for the life of me because I am using it as an example for this thread, but can't remember where the heck I put it. If I find it, I will edit this and post it), in which the study showed that about 90%+ of the individuals who were shown Domains with the extension .xyz, responded that "it sounded childish", it's confusing to type in, they never heard of it, some called it stupid, and a decent percentage even said that "it was about time they made something for kids specifically".
I agree with them.
Don't get me wrong, I have sold my fair share of .xyz domains.
But branding a business with it, is not "strong" and is most likely not going to sound professional or catchy.

.io is easy to type, is growing very very fast and holds authority.
I have been watching commercials on T.V lately and was originally surprised to see that these companies were already using the .io extension... now after a seeing many on T.V using it... I'm not surprised anymore, just happy to see it's growing.

Don't be fooled by .io only being a tech domain either.
It's not.
It holds authority for anything.
And the way trends, fads and the whole shebang works...
Is that the average people online can care less that "us onliners in the industry" know that .io is a tech domain.
They are not going to care, yet alone even know most likely.

Not to mention, between all of the new domain extensions, there is alwaysssssssss going to be confusion.
We're talking about a world that grew with urls that were .com, .net, .co, .org, .biz, co.uk ect...

Then all of a sudden.. we come out of nowhere with not 1, not 2, not 20, not 50... but a thunder storm of new domain extensions and hope the average user knows them all?
No.
It's just not going to happen.

Which to me...
This is where common sense comes in.
Out of all of the domain extensions, you see business offline (who have an online presence), tons of very strong companies, tons of start ups (both tech and not tech) using the .io extension.
This should show you something just from that.

So between the shower of domain extensions we flooded the users and average person with, it works the same as Branding even if that extension stood for "Igloo Octopus".
Does not matter.

They are not going to just "know" every single one overnight.
It will indeed take time, and I personally see a largeeeee amount that sure... are doing great "selling" the extensions as registrants and the creators of the extension, congrats, but way more than half of them will never catch on and be what the average joe is going to type in.
They may arrive on it via searching something in a search engine sure...
But they will never embed ones brain as something to type in on instinct as those "words" that are now "Domain Extensions" already have been fired in their heads to mean "that" and only hold that meaning to them. Branding at it's finest.
Odds of changing what that word already means, stands for and is recognized in their brain...
Slim to None.

What we do have though... is the power and ability to take just a couple of those extensions, make them feel natural, flood the users with them and make sure the average joe recognizes them.

.io is already showing that happening. From start ups, the major companies using them, the sales via .io's Domaining and more... the .io extension is slowly taking it's rise.

I was also at a concert just a few weeks ago. It was a huge concert. Outdoors, a very large venue at "The Farm Bureau Live" in Virginia. And not 1, not 2, nope... not 5! But 8 (that I saw) had very large Tents who were Radio Stations, Bands, Food Companies and more...
They had their big banners up, and on the banner, including all of their marketing material on their table, shirts, buttons, flyers, pins (word of mouth, as I am sure people asked about their sites ending in .io) ect... was... you guessed it! Their domain with the .io extension being used and being used successfully.

I've yet to personally see that with .xyz or .pro extensions.

It's all about popularity.
Things take off at different rates. Things catch on more quickly than others.

In time, .io will be very popular and individuals will consider it as another domain extension in their arsenal of a brain to type in on instinct.

Smack a Brand on it dude. Stick with it. Rock it.
Never underestimate the power of branding.
.io is doing it bro.
Get in while you still can. And if you are still not sure...

This is your new start up we're talking about. Not Just a Domain Name.
Buy all 3 to be on the safe side, take your time, research, when settled on one, forward the rest.

And just to add something about branding and the power it holds when used correctly,
Most of us have no clue the psychological effect it has on us each and everyday...

Branding is focused on Consistence, Repetition, Exposure (and more obviously), but with those 3, their key is for you to say the name, and the logo pops in your head right away.
Or see something that looks similar in color, shape ect... and your business name pops in your end users head because of the tiniest recognition that triggers them.

If you Cut yourself... majority of people don't turn around and ask for an Adhesive Bandage. They ask for a Band-Aid.
If you're on Youtube and search for " cool dog tricks" (just made it up while typing, but search something similar and I am sure you will find it), but anyways...
You search that... Someone for sure filmed their dog and posted it. And little do you know...
In the comments for sure. And of course in the title... You will be something along the lines of "Dog Catches Frisbee In Mid Air After Doing 360".
No. It is not a Frisbee. It's a "Flying Disc".
Ping Pong rocked their brand and made the Real Name "Table Tennis" obsolete.
And don't forget the people with snot hanging out of their nose who are asking eagerly for a Kleenex, instead of a Tissue.
Branding man. Pure Branding.

I do not mean to drag on.
I am only saying this because, I want you to recognize all aspects, and make sure you remember that this question was asked on a Domaining Forum lol.

I'm not going to be surprised if a new extension comes out tomorrow and someone recommends you that one and shoots all of the others down.

Everyone has their opinion, just as I have mind on the .io
But based on facts via SEO, the stats of the amount of companies starting up with .io over all of the others, everything I see in person, not to mention my success with .io via ranking websites vs me ranking websites with other extensions, brand testing, surveys from the average individuals taken (no not us who work online), and much more...

"in my opinion, I suggest that extension".

Hope I helped some.
So... on that note...

io... io... off the way I go

•••
I have a start up plan for an online service. As usual legacy extensions have already been taken. I want to keep name short hence will prefer any of above extensions.
What you feel which one will be best for long term. I have costly option of buying .com in aftermarket but this is beyond discussion for present thread.
My assessment
.io is popular among startups, .xyz is booming rapidly and cheap to try, .pro also appears nice option.
Thanks pals.

All three might work fine. Here is what I would do:

1) Register or obtain all three for 1 year.
2) Make a list of 7 domain names with a mix of TLD's.
3) Read the list to a prospective customer for the online service.
4) Ask them to right down the first three names that they remember.
5) Set up a landing page for each of the three.
6) Push some traffic to each page with a free downloadable PDF.
7) See which one gets the most downloads or optin's.
8) Speak the domain names out load into a recorder or ask someone to do it.
9) Play it back and see what sounds the best.
10) Register the .com with the TLD at the end of the name.
11) Use the TLD that makes the most sense.

I made a list of 15 names that I registered and will do part of the above.

Good question, by the way.

•••
Just talking in terms of .io .xyz and .pro, .io is far more suitable option for tech startups.:D

•••
Many people have given favorable opinion for .io
.io seems to be popular in American context. Well, let me lay down my concerns.
If focus is towards eastern countries or Europe do you expect it to stand better than other rivals?
For eastern countries scene may be different. Many of my prospective clients can come from India, China and SE Asia also. While discussing one of my client he asked me meaning of '.io'? When I told its Indian Ocean, he was confused why I was using it and I had to explain him that it can be taken as input/output.
Any new extension will have to pass through this stage. Every extension before this was having a meaning. Still today also as we see .org in extension, people expect it to be an organisation than any abstract site. Extensions with meaning is all what new TLDs are about.

•••
.ORG for international startup is good also... many samples...

•••
I think .io would be a good move. - perhaps by all 3 and point them to the .io domain.

So you can use all 3 extensions for different marketing drives.... like XYZ might work better in the Asian market... so u can use the .xyz domain for ur marketing effort in the Asian market... and then use the .pro as well for perhaps a market segment where it might work better in... even if you use country specific domains for ur marketing in those countries ...with them all pointing back to the main .io domain.

•••
My assessment
Thanks pals.

Make sure that the name for your startup isn't trademarked somewhere already or you may end up losing the domain.

My choice would be .xyz unless your startup name can be included in the extension like pitch.black (sorry, can't think of anything better).

Also, a name doesn't mean much and it won't matter if your startup is successful. Just look at "Yahoo" or "Google"...hardly great names :laugh:

Brandon

•••
Content is King.
Pick the most suitable TLD for your name and go forward...

•••
Last edited:
•••
Make sure that the name for your startup isn't trademarked somewhere already or you may end up losing the domain.

My choice would be .xyz unless your startup name can be included in the extension like pitch.black (sorry, can't think of anything better).

Also, a name doesn't mean much and it won't matter if your startup is successful. Just look at "Yahoo" or "Google"...hardly great names :laugh:

Brandon

Yahoo was a fantastic dictionary word/exclamation.
yahoo
play
interjection ya·hoo \yä-ˈhü\
Simple Definition of yahoo
  • —used to express excitement or joy

Google is easily pronounceable and they made sure to link it to actual word and narrative.

googol
play
noun goo·gol \ˈgü-ˌgȯl\
Popularity: Bottom 30% of words
Definition of googol
  1. : the figure 1 followed by 100 zeros equal to 10100

•••
@sandyhere I believe you should avoid .xyz as verisign is already in a legal battle with xyz. The xyz team is basically domainers. There has been a lot of negative going on right now for xyz and if you see ntld stats most of their domains are parked so there is no real buying going on i guess. .PRO is a good choice and i think it will make you look like a pro in your business. By the way where are you buying it from I just saw it on dotintra website for $2.99 with $15 renewal and I think it is a great deal, havent seen cheaper so far so will revert once I find the answers.

Personally, I think you should by .gdn (global domain name), its a generic extension and comes with free email blasting as told by the support of dotintra which is good for any new startup...They are pretty cheap too.

Let me know what you think.

•••
@sandyhere I believe you should avoid .xyz as verisign is already in a legal battle with xyz. The xyz team is basically domainers. There has been a lot of negative going on right now for xyz and if you see ntld stats most of their domains are parked so there is no real buying going on i guess. .PRO is a good choice and i think it will make you look like a pro in your business. By the way where are you buying it from I just saw it on dotintra website for $2.99 with $15 renewal and I think it is a great deal, havent seen cheaper so far so will revert once I find the answers.

Personally, I think you should by .gdn (global domain name), its a generic extension and comes with free email blasting as told by the support of dotintra which is good for any new startup...They are pretty cheap too.

Let me know what you think.
I am not interested in .gdn especially after their renewal price issue. Its far behind in my look up list.

•••
@sandyhere what happened...I am curious as I have bought some without any problems and yes their renewal is $50 at the moment but their 3 year registration is 10.99 at the moment. I think their renewal will change in 3 years for sure...

•••
•••
I was apprehensive about .gdn while reading opening post of this thread:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/gdn-only-2-99-but-look-out.928880/
@sandyhere Yeah when this post started there was a lot of confusion and I must say @mad409 @kingof.top did pretty good job in clarifying a lot of things. Actually some resellers went crazy with renewals..If I remember it was 101domain but now they have started offering better renewals and registration prices as well. So it is all good now..:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back