NameSilo

Can you sell before 60 days of ownership?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

james kay

Established Member
Impact
Is it possible to transfer a domain to someone else before 60 days have passed after you bought the domain?

I tried to sell a domain via Flippa, but could not transfer the domain from GoDaddy because they have a 60 day rule.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is it a .com? You could push the domain for free to their GoDaddy account.

•••
Hi James, welcome to NamePros :)

You can promote and sell your domain on Flippa or any other marketplace. For the first 60 days after registration, it is locked in at the current registrar and you can't transfer it out. However, if you sell it, you can push the domain to another (the buyer's) account set up with the same registrar. Most buyers will go along with this.

More changes coming starting December 1st. Same rules will apply following any modification of a domain's WHOIS data, which is usually the case upon selling a domain.

•••
push only to same registrar for all or near all extensions.

else you cannot transfer out

with exception of godaddy domain, where you can call them and ask if thye can unlock it.

gl

•••
Thanks for the quick replies.

So, is it the same with 1&1, you can push the domain to the buyer if they have a 1&1 account ?

•••
...with exception of godaddy domain, where you can call them and ask if thye can unlock it.
You are mixing up two different locks, as it were. You can ask them to take down GoDaddy's prioprietary 60-day lock, which takes effect every time you modify the registrant name. They are not so accomodating with respect to the other 60-day lock in force following a new domain registration or transfer as ordained by ICANN.

•••
So, is it the same with 1&1, you can push the domain to the buyer if they have a 1&1 account ?
1&1... ouch! First law of domaining, Jim: never, ever register domains with 1&1! O_o

•••
Thanks, duly noted. I will be using GoDaddy from now on!

•••
You are mixing up two different locks, as it were. You can ask them to take down GoDaddy's prioprietary 60-day lock, which takes effect every time you modify the registrant name. They are not so accomodating with respect to the other 60-day lock in force following a new domain registration or transfer as ordained by ICANN.

pretty sure I done it before on the icann lock.
maybe like I Said (and you said) you just need to call them to find out just how accomodating they will be.. on a case to case basis. in the end that's how it'll work I think.
someone who opened gd account a day ago won't get same reply as somoene who opened it 10 years ago.

gl

•••
Thanks, duly noted. I will be using GoDaddy from now on!
Second law of domaining: keep your domain registration / renewal / transfer costs down to a minimum!

Another words, stay informed and take advantage of any promos that come your way, this week being a good case in point :) The few exceptions to this rule being: 1&1, DotEasy and Rebel.com!

Last edited:
•••
1&1... ouch! First law of domaining, Jim: never, ever register domains with 1&1! O_o
i must have been lucky then i sold my first domain with 1and1 within a week,haven't used them since though..the buyer had to open an account with them

•••
Thanks for the quick replies.

It's the same with 1&1, however you could try GD first then 1&1.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back