Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How much did you pay for the logo for the 2 domain names that are ready? Did you pay anything extra for the listing.

I have 2 domain names waiting for logo design since 20 May.
I haven't paid anything for the logos, but at the time of listing I agreed to let them add $100 to the final price for the logo (this was before they added the four and five hundred dollar options). I am not sure how and who decides which names to do first, but if its up to the logo designers then they probably choose the names that they think have the most potentials for getting sold first.

I am not affiliated with Brandbucket in any way, I guess it just happens that I have been able to get some good names lately that match their criteria. :)

Last edited:
•••
@oldtimer

Congrats on getting 14 accepted. How many domains have you presented to Brand Bucket so far? I am just curious of what the percentage is between accepted and not accepted. Did you list the maximum of 10 domains during each acceptance or did you do it one by one? I just wonder if its better to list one at a time or bombard them with 10 at a time and the names not get enough attention. Also, are the majority of the names aged? Are all the names that were accepted under 8 letters? Thanks in advance.

•••
@oltimer, are the domains you submit hand registered domains? If so, how old are they?

•••
@oldtimer

Congrats on getting 14 accepted. How many domains have you presented to Brand Bucket so far? I am just curious of what the percentage is between accepted and not accepted. Did you list the maximum of 10 domains during each acceptance or did you do it one by one? I just wonder if its better to list one at a time or bombard them with 10 at a time and the names not get enough attention. Also, are the majority of the names aged? Are all the names that were accepted under 8 letters? Thanks in advance.

All names accepted so far were between 6L to 8L
All names accepted so far were pronounceable made up words.
Names submitted in batches of 10
Some batches had none accepted
Some batches had two or three accepted
I say percentage of accepted so far is about 15%
Still waiting to hear about some other names.

Last edited:
•••
@oldtimer

great info.

Did you leave a comment or explanation for each domain or do you let the name speak for itself? Did you go with the price they thought or did you use the option of adjusting the price up or down?

•••
@oldtimer

great info.

Did you leave a comment or explanation for each domain or do you let the name speak for itself? Did you go with the price they thought or did you use the option of adjusting the price up or down?

The only comment that I left was " Thanks ".

I adjusted the price up by around 20% to get to a nice number, but I also chose the 10% discount option.

Although I am happy to have several names accepted already, but the true test will be if they actually sell. I probably am going to hold of on registering more domains until I have at least one sold.

And guys remember that I just got started with BrandBucket and so I am still learning myself. :)

•••
Thanks for the info Oldtimer. Everytime I see your name I think of my grandfather. Are you actually older or is that your old in domain years? LOL

•••
Thanks for the info Oldtimer. Everytime I see your name I think of my grandfather. Are you actually older or is that your old in domain years? LOL
They didn't give me the senior discount last time I went out to eat, They said I was too young yet to qualify for that. :)

I have been a member here for a long time (almost time to get my ninth star), but domaining has been more like a hobby for me that helps keep my mind active.

Now that's enough about me, lets get back to brandable domains. :)

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Here is a useful tip:

When you go to the homepage at BrandBucket try sorting the listings by “ Date added (newest to oldest) “ , then scroll down halfway down the page past all the featured listings (they always show up first no matter how you sort the listings) until you see the new listings (they have a little green tag on the top left hand side that says NEW), now try to analyze why these domains have been accepted and why some of them are priced more than the others. (don’t disclose anyone’s listings)

Last edited:
•••
One of my names was accepted about 10 days ago and it is still pending the logo. In your experience, how long does it take for the logo to be created and the name to go live?

•••
Got two more domains accepted for a total of 14 now :)

How long did it take them to get back to you?

Btw, soon you will be owning 90% of the company :)

•••
How long did it take them to get back to you?
About 3 to 4 days on average.

It seems like they are getting much busier now that everyone here has started submitting more domains.

doing the logos seems to be taking longer than what it took to get accepted, still waiting on logo for about 12 domains.

Last edited:
•••

I think I asked this earlier, but can one do his/her own logos for BB? I know how to do this, and I like doing simple logos.

•••

I think I asked this earlier, but can one do his/her own logos for BB? I know how to do this, and I like doing simple logos.

there is no option for own logo ;)

•••

I don't believe that you can make just your own logo, but if you are a professional logo designer then you might be able to register at BrandBucket and then every time a name sells you will get the allocated amount that was chosen for its logo.

PS: you can go to the BrandBucket homepage and click on the top right hand side corner where it says “ domain owners and logo designers login here”, then below the login area there are two squares that explain how to register as domain owner or logo designer.

•••
I believe the submission form also includes a section where you can attach a file.

•••
•••
that reduces logo fee :$: :p ?
I wonder if you have registered as a logo designer whether you can make logos for your own names, if so you might as well choose the $500 option for the logo if you are going to end up getting the money for it yourself. :)

PS: you need to read their TOS to see if it can work that way.

•••
Unusual delay at Brandbucket

I had a name submitted on April 27, 2013.
Approved on May 13, 2013
Paid listing fee within a week.
It is still not live.

I mean why do you have to have logo designers delaying publishing domain for almost a month?

At the same time quality of some of logos are no way close to minimum $100 being charged.

I checked logotypemake dot com among other sites (not affiliated in any way) and noticed better logos can be created for far less price of 19 Euro.

But back to the main topic, logo creation is delaying publishing these domains way too much.

No doubt, brandbucket may be a leader but our domains are what they sell. Without products and customers the business model can not exist and you have to find a way to keep both happy.

In USA, a delay of close to 1 month is UNUSUAL where everybody wants everything instant.

I hope they change soon.

Last edited:
•••
Why does a site that sells brandable domains use a keyword domain?

I already asked that kind of question to some BB users in here, but I only got this answer. :great:

This IS a brandable name.

There are different type of brandable domains.
Pure made up words like google, etc.
Keyword-Brandables, such as BrandBucket, BlackLion, Mediabox, etc.
Keyword-Brandables most of them time are combinations of real words but in the selected combination do not exist in the real world (there is no bucket full of brands or a black lion in reality).

In fact if you search BrandBuckets inventory, you will find different type of brandable names (including names which are similar to their own = keyword-brandables)

But why do you think the BrandBucket itself chooses 2 generic words instead of any made-up words (brandables) for its own brand? :gl:

I asked about keywords vs made-up words for branding, but I think I got answered about different things. :rolleyes:

But the point is...

BB is good at selling made-up word domains, but on the contrary, BB itself prefers keyword domain for its own brand. :gn:

•••
just submitted

directdld.com (direct download)

•••
This market now seems oversaturated due to this thread - there must be loads of people sending 10's of domains each everyday, hence being responsible for the delay in service.

•••
You are 100 % spot on ibidu. There is no doubt like everything in domaining a ton of stuff comes in from everywhere and it dilutes and saturates. They will probably continue to be behind for awhile with 10 times the submissions minimum.

•••
BrandBucket, Choices & Selling

I had heard about BrandBucket and decided to submit a few. I sent in 50 or so and got 7 in.

I was delighted to get a few longer ones in, DailyChill.com and RebelCity.com, as I understand the focus is on short @ BB.

I couldn't accept their price on RebelCity.com, as I really like this one.

Of the shorter ones, I had even forgotten that I owned them, so it was good to get instia.com in.

==========
One thing about selling in general and brandbucket.com. Part of the problem is, there is often too much choice with domains.

It's like going to a department store which has everything, and stuff you want - but you leave emptyhanded.

So you go to like sedo - and where do you start!

On my own for sale site, I tried to make it easier by reducing the list of names to five at a time.

So it's gr8 the BB is filtering the names, I think for what they do their fees are fair, and they could have a very, very big future.

•••
I listed some names with them about 3 years ago, about five names. One sold in about six months, for high XXX. I ended up dropping two of the names over the years. The other two, I left listed till recently. One has gotten an inquiry from the same potential buyer, twice, who offered $1k both times and won't offer any more. Unfortunately since I picked an option for $400 or $500 logo, plus commission that would leave me with almost no profit and my price was too far apart from $1k.

In any event, I did pull these last two names from listing after receiving their new TOS. I have nothing against BB, and have exchanged several emails with Margot over the three years, who has always been great. I understand the reasons for the change in TOS and respect it, but I didn't want to have my 2 names exclusive there after not selling in over three years. However its encouraging to hear so many of you commented on the high percentage of names you've sold on BB. I might still consider listing some names there again in the future, even with the exclusivity. I think diversifying your sales channels can be important, just like diversifying a portfolio.

For example I have a 4L.com that is 'bad' in terms of it having unpopular letters like X, so not good for acronyms, and unlikely that any end user company name would ever consist of those letters, however it is pronounceable, so it could work well for a brand/startup, in which case I see the name as having maybe a better probability of selling at a venue like BB as opposed to Sedo or Afternic. Just some thoughts. Interesting thread.

Another thought, now that the BB article appeared in DNJournal and obviously so many more domainers are turned on to the marketplace and submitting loads of domains, with the number of listings is going to increase drastically, will they have the resources to expand and increase their buyer pool at the same time? If they can't bring more buyers to accommodate the increase in names listed, then it would seem like the great sell-through percentages people have reported may not be so common in the future with a more saturated marketplace and the same amount of buyers. However I hope they can expand their buyer base as well. It may be tough as many have said these types of logo/brand/domain marketplaces are springing up left and right, apparently.

cheers,

Michael

•••
Hello Margot, for the domains that are under " Pending " how long does it usually take for them to be published.

PS: I have sent a few more domains for consideration, its good to know that you personally handle all new submissions. So far my experience with BrandBucket has been excellent. :)

Thanks!

From submission to decision that the name will/will not be accepted runs about 1-7 days (the longer side happens when there is a big influx like there was last week after our DNJournal writeup). Once you've done all the steps needed for an accepted name (short description, paid listing fees & forwarded it), it moves on to the logo design phase.

The time it takes to have a logo designed can really vary. Our community of designers sees a pool of all** names that need designs, and they choose which ones they want to reserve. There is no first-in-first-out or anything like that. Some things that help your name get a logo faster are increasing the design award (anything over $100 goes more quickly), or you can also add $10 to your listing fee to get featured in a category -- this puts a "Featured" banner over your name, and logo designers jump on those.

We're currently working on ways to get more logos done more quickly. We currently throttle the amount that designers can do in a 12-hour period, which although it is keeping things fair for designers who may be asleep when a bunch of new good names come in, it is also reducing the number that a really engaged designer could be doing. Plans are forming...and something will change soon. :)

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Legal risks (trademark infringements) with BB?

I guess that the majority of the listings at Brand Bucket are breaking the "Rules for sellers" there - it is simply not possible for an individual without deep pockets to clarify that a domain "does not infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party". No way.

Quote:
"Before listing a domain for sale in the domain database, it is your responsibility to perform the necessary research to ensure that your domain does not infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party."

So either selling or buying a domain poses a risk of getting sued by some trademark holder, and may it be only a slight similarity in the name. That a domain name is free is not enough.

As a seller I cannot know the business of the future buyer, yet I am obliged to check for infringements?

Oddly, BB is shifting all of the risk to the buyer, too:
"It is the Buyer's responsibility to research whether or not their desired domain is subject to trademark or intellectual property protections"

When you're doing mobile telecommunications, would you buy "merizon .com" from BB (listed right now)? Better not.

Don't get me wrong, I think BB is a great opportunity for domainers with brandable names but I dont think it is okay to shift all of the responsibility away to either seller AND buyer.

Maybe Margot can comment on this.

The language for the sellers was from our lawyers, but it RARELY applies to the types of names we list. It is primarily for keyword domains that are fairly obvious trademark intrusions, like "PreownedBMW" or "KodakGram". Fortunately for all of us the UDRP system keeps us from a flat-out lawsuit, and in the case of BrandBucket we are not squatting (i.e. making ad revenue) on a name that may be found to be an infringement, we are just listing it for sale. All that this language does is allow us to remove a name if we are asked/required to do so by a trademark holder, without having to get permission to remove it from the domain owner.

The language for the buyer is actually protecting you as a seller. It is keeping the buyer from purchasing a name, having it transferred to them, finding out that they can't trademark it (or that it conflicts), and then asking for a refund. It's pretty standard across all domain marketplaces, including places like Sedo & Afternic. They do not allow refunds at all, for any reason.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit!

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

It’s the Famous Marks that should be of the most concern.

As you already mentioned it’s impossible to know if a certain third party has a certain right to a certain term in a certain way in a certain location somewhere around the World, and even if they do that doesn’t mean that someone else cannot use the same term for a totally different purpose. When you search USPTO very often you see multiple trademarks for the same term, I wonder how all the others were able to get a trademark past the very first one. So a new startup might be able to get a trademark for a term that already has multiple trademarks by others as long as it’s for a totally different use.

Also there are no advertisements being displayed for the domains that can create a risk of infringement on existing trademarks, they are just represented individually by a unique logo.

What it comes down to is that a new startup has as much right to apply for a trademark on a certain term that perhaps is already being used by multitude of others as long as it is used for a different purpose than them.

IMO

PS: this is just my personal understanding of this situation and is not meant as legal or expert advice.

Wow...you explained it better than me. Thanks. :)

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

I just have to know tho.
What DOES a $500 logo look like??

To understand the logo design structure at BrandBucket, you have to understand the logo designer community (meaning TRUE designers, who have professional experience and actual clients who've paid them for their work, and most of which have some education in color theory and a huge typeface library in their arsenal.)

About 5-6 years ago when sites started appearing that allowed people to create "contests" for logo designs, a huge backlash happened in the designer community. Essentially, designers who actually valued their time did not want to work for free. They called this "spec work", and you can Google it and see the general negative connotation that it has. When BrandBucket was launched around this time, we had to come up with a way to get good designers to essentially work for free, and only on the hope that they will get paid for their work _someday_. To do this, we had to pay them at least $100. We absolutely did not want domain owners to foot this bill, and since the award was being given at the time of sale, it made sense to make it part of the sales price. We could have done the math to take it out of our commission, but for other requirements (affiliate programs, etc.), we needed to keep our percentage consistent across every sale.

Next, we found that some of the very good designers we were recruiting wouldn't do work for anything less than $300, some for $500. So we added the different prices, and let the domain owner decide. Most people choose $100, and that's fine with us, but there are the few that want to reach the better designers.

This goes back to my first post today (above) where I put in the "**". When a logo designer applies for our program and gets accepted, we rank them on a skill level from 1 to 5. We have very few 5's, a few more 4's, a handful of 3's, more 2's and the most 1's. Only a Level 5 designer can see and reserve awards for $500. Level 5 and Level 4 can see/reserve $400 awards, and so on.

BrandBucket only accepts professional designers with a proven portfolio of actual client work. The reason most of the logos on our site look "plain" is by design -- we are selling the name and our two most important criteria are 1) that the name be readable at a quick glance, and 2) that it not contain anything gearing it too much towards a particular industry that would potentially turn a buyer away if it didn't apply to them. With those two restrictions, it is actually very hard (words directly from my co-founder who is a designer) to get across the "feel" of a name with simply a typeface, color, and a type of placement. Our designers get that, and are actually very good at that.

For instance, an example I gave to someone the other day had to do with a name that started with an "A" and had a strong "A" sound also in the middle of the word. Although the logo looked simple, the designer actually chose a typeface with a very elegant lowercase "a", and chose to start the words with a lowercase in order to emphasize the double A, even perhaps subconsciously, to the reader.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Yes many who are looking to market their 4,5,6 letter pronounceables do believe the logo is a selling point. Is it reality ? That is for each person to decide if it helps or if it doesn't.

VERY good point. What we've found in over 800 domain sells is that the logo rarely makes a difference in the person's decision to buy the name. I feel that domain owners are sometimes so attached to their names -- and for good reason because they've owned them for a while and perhaps even floated ideas for building something on it -- that what comes out of the BrandBucket design factory doesn't match their vision and they get upset.

As long as buyers can see every name in one sitting, see every name clearly, and not get a headache after viewing 2 pages full of logos, we are happy and can sell domains.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I think there is also the subjective nature of one person picking names that will have some happy, some mad and some confused.

I sent 10 names over a week ago and just now at 12:40 am my time I got a reply. 2 names accepted 8 not accepted, no problem. Here is where the funny part comes, one name I submitted was Tapvo.com I like short names with Tap as that has been a popular naming keyword for some app companies. I own another 5 letter Tap related name that gets traffic every day and has made over $200 parking. So I am not upset that Brand Bucket did not accept it. The funny thing is there is a name on Brand Bucket that I actually like Mondovo.com, the description lists two points about the name one is Mondo playing off the the Italian word for world and the other part says and it ends in VO, I had to laugh.

We don't often comment on specific reasons why a name is not accepted, because if we did we'd never sleep (we get 1000+ submissions a week), but here the short of it:

In MONDOVO, the "vo" follows a vowel. In TAPVO, it follows a "p". "PV" is not a common sound combination, in any language. This makes it not only hard to say, but also hard to understand over the phone or in a crowded place.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

PS: They don't like us to disclose our domains.

We are OK with you disclosing which names you have for sale (in fact we are currently working on a way that you can have a link on BrandBucket that shows only your names, so that you can link to it, pass it on, etc.).

What our seller policy prohibits is you mentioning the name and the sale price together once a domain is sold. Our buyers want to be able to control where this information is, so we/they can't go chasing around threads and asking for things to be removed for privacy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back