IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And regarding "memorability", I am not sure which one of these is going to be remembered better after few hours :
1) CheapOfficeFurnitureInCanada.org
2) Furnitura.ca

That's a very unfair comparison, 5 words vs 1 word :lala:

And don't forget that keyword domains can be used as good brands too,
especially the 1 word or 2 words .com :bingo:

Finally, I think generic words are more familiar than make-up words (brandables), because most generic words are self-explained.
And that make most generic words (1 word or 2 words) are much better for branding than 1 make-up word :imho:

Last edited:
•••
Well look at Domain Holdings they just rebranded to igloo.com. Would you think a domain brokerage and monetization company would be named igloo ?

•••
One of the reasons that companies like made up words (or common words that aren’t used for their actual meaning like Apple or igloo) is because they are better able to protect their brands and they get the kind of pizazz that a boring keyword term cannot provide. IMO

•••
That's a very unfair comparison, 5 words vs 1 word :lala:

And don't forget that keyword domains can be used as good brands too,
especially the 1 word or 2 words .com :bingo:

Finally, I think generic words are more familiar than make-up words (brandables), because most generic words are self-explained.
And that make most generic words (1 word or 2 words) are much better for branding than 1 make-up word :imho:

Lets ask Matt Cutts from Google.
(And this was 2 years ago, even before google fired off all those panda manda honda veranda updates ... )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAWFv43qubI"]How important is it to have keywords in a domain name? - YouTube[/ame]

•••
We are talking about brandability, right? So I think it has nothing to do with Google :imho:

Lets ask Matt Cutts from Google.
(And this was 2 years ago, even before google fired off all those panda manda honda veranda updates ... )

•••
The whole keyword domain business and its "advantages" over brandable domains is based 95% on Google. So i think it has a lot to do with them and one should carefully listen what they think, plan or don't plan and one should follow up all their updates and changes and adapt accordingly if necessary,,, imho ;)

You would be right if you have Furniture.com or OfficeFurniture.com. These are not only keyword names but strong brands. Sure better than Furnitura.com or whatever. But since those keyword domains are extremely scarce and you don't own them and if you should own them, you wont sell them for x.xxx, the rest of the people have to chose between

lower quality keyword domains with different extensions or more keywords in the .com version
OR
short brandable .coms

and then the decision is not always in favour of those keywod domains, specially if the ranking advantages of having keywords in the domain would slowly but surely be eliminated ;)

Last edited:
•••
Fortunately, in all other areas of BrandBucket operations outside of domain approvals I have a ton of help. Our customer service and inquiry response times are phenomenal, and our escrow team is on top of things 7 days a week.
Hello Margot, for the domains that are under " Pending " how long does it usually take for them to be published.

PS: I have sent a few more domains for consideration, its good to know that you personally handle all new submissions. So far my experience with BrandBucket has been excellent. :)

•••
One of my domains, four chars .com, just sold at BB for high $xxxx. It had been listed at the same price at Sedo etc for over a year.

It sold the moment it was listed at BB.

•••
So BB has a :kickass: marketing team, huh. Thanks for the info. :gl:

My personal opinion: huge market places like SEDO will die soon. too much crap listed there and its a mess. Endusers HATE that.
Plus they don't do any proactive marketing. Just sitting on their fat ass and waiting for comission.

The future will belong to those who find "Niches" and focus on that niche and PROACTIVELY market domains to endusers in that niche.
Not only with brandable names, you could also do that with specific type of keyword domains, like Geo names or whatever.

One of my domains, four chars .com, just sold at BB for high $xxxx.
It had been listed at the same price at Sedo etc for over a year.

•••
Im surprised you were even able to have it published. Ived submitted dozens on 4L and 5L pronounceable names to brandbucket and none were approved. congrats.

•••
One of my domains, four chars .com, just sold at BB for high $xxxx. It had been listed at the same price at Sedo etc for over a year.

That's marvellous - was it a CVCV?

Was the price better than you had it at Sedo?

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Well look at Domain Holdings they just rebranded to igloo.com. Would you think a domain brokerage and monetization company would be named igloo ?

If it could be named Voodoo I can't see why not Igloo :)

It seems the so called experts of the field would need a bit of education themselves :)

•••
No I understand the rebranding of Igloo I was highlighting someone else's point about branding. Not that it was a bad name. The talk was about generics as brandables vs made up brandables. Casual Names preferred generics and igloo was a perfect example illustrating his point.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

@casualnames are you running a competing site with Brand Pouch ?

•••
•••
That's marvellous - was it a CVCV?

Was the price better than you had it at Sedo?

Slightly higher price than I had it listed at Sedo, but the 30% commission gives me a lower return.

Not a CVCV, but short and catchy. The point of my post was not the price I got / domain I sold, but that they clearly do have contacts and buyers lined up.

•••
But why do you think the BrandBucket itself chooses 2 generic words instead of any made-up words (brandables) for its own brand? :gl:

Well look at Domain Holdings they just rebranded to igloo.com.
Would you think a domain brokerage and monetization company would be named igloo ?

One of the reasons that companies like made up words (or common words that aren’t used for their actual meaning like Apple or igloo)
is because they are better able to protect their brands and they get the kind of pizazz that a boring keyword term cannot provide.

...the rest of the people have to chose between

lower quality keyword domains with different extensions or more keywords in the .com version
OR
short brandable .coms

and then the decision is not always in favour of those keywod domains,
specially if the ranking advantages of having keywords in the domain would slowly but surely be eliminated

•••
So far I've got 12 names accepted at BrandBucket. Thanks Margot :)

•••
But why do you think the BrandBucket itself chooses 2 generic words instead of any made-up words (brandables) for its own brand? :gl:

This IS a brandable name.
There are different type of brandable domains.
Pure made up words like google, etc.
Keyword-Brandables, such as BrandBucket, BlackLion, Mediabox, etc.
Keyword-Brandables most of them time are combinations of real words but in the selected combination do not exist in the real world (there is no bucket full of brands or a black lion in reality).

In fact if you search BrandBuckets inventory, you will find different type of brandable names (including names which are similar to their own = keyword-brandables)

Just for your information ;)

•••
So far I've got 12 names accepted at BrandBucket. Thanks Margot :)

So you should have a good chance of selling at least 2 -- just don't add any zeros :)

•••
So you should have a good chance of selling at least 2 -- just don't add any zeros :)

Thanks, cannot wait to have my first sale at BrandBucket, I wonder what the average wait time is for making a sale.

•••
Thanks, cannot wait to have my first sale at BrandBucket, I wonder what the average wait time is for making a sale.

A good 4L would nearly sell instantly but for others it's anyone's guess -- still statistically you seem to have a good chance -- you've nearly got 10% of all listed domains (only kidding) :)

•••
•••

I have been following this thread with great interest--when I get back from Europe and back to my unlimited internet, I'm going to look into this possibility for some of my 4 and 5 letter domains.

I already sold one brandable on my own, but I think it was a fluke--not anything spectacular I did.

My question: can one make her/his own logos?

ADDED: I just flipped over to the Brandbucket site. What I noticed: the 4 and 5 letter domains seem to offer the most pizzazz; the longer ones seem confusing and more prone to misspellings.

Five letter brandables seem to be the gold standard; I'm not sure why, except that the odd number offers the possibility of emphasizing the middle letter, for example, caBee, aaXle, giDog, siSss, yoWze, reLpy (shameless of me, these are mine, but I know that other domainers would not be interested in these, anyway, lol) .

Last edited:
•••
Legal risks (trademark infringements) with BB?

I guess that the majority of the listings at Brand Bucket are breaking the "Rules for sellers" there - it is simply not possible for an individual without deep pockets to clarify that a domain "does not infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party". No way.

Quote:
"Before listing a domain for sale in the domain database, it is your responsibility to perform the necessary research to ensure that your domain does not infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party."

So either selling or buying a domain poses a risk of getting sued by some trademark holder, and may it be only a slight similarity in the name. That a domain name is free is not enough.

As a seller I cannot know the business of the future buyer, yet I am obliged to check for infringements?

Oddly, BB is shifting all of the risk to the buyer, too:
"It is the Buyer's responsibility to research whether or not their desired domain is subject to trademark or intellectual property protections"

When you're doing mobile telecommunications, would you buy "merizon .com" from BB (listed right now)? Better not.

Don't get me wrong, I think BB is a great opportunity for domainers with brandable names but I dont think it is okay to shift all of the responsibility away to either seller AND buyer.

Maybe Margot can comment on this.

Nomax

Last edited:
•••
Is there a away to change the logo design from $100 to 200 or 300? I am waiting since 20 May for my first 2 domains and still pending logo design. Maybe when I increase the logo design price it will go quicker.

•••
I tried that and it didn't help get it done any faster. Don't think you can change it once you've set it.

Is there a away to change the logo design from $100 to 200 or 300? I am waiting since 20 May for my first 2 domains and still pending logo design. Maybe when I increase the logo design price it will go quicker.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back