Dynadot

Bido.com - Social Auction Platform

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
NamePros welcomes BIDO as it's newest sponsor.

Check out Bido's revolutionary Social Auction Platform at www.bido.com
All auctions start at $1 with no reserve.

The list of upcoming auctions is here:
http://www.bido.com/Auctions

This is a discussion thread for comments, reviews and feedback about Bido and it's services.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a tricky platform. Do I think it'll work in the long run? Probably not. The time is too restrictive (even if it's changed to PT or MT or whatever), there are still countless millions of potential bidders who just can't make a bid. And even though today's auction was a terrible domain, it shows that $1/no reserve is risky... perhaps too risky for many to trust putting their valuables on.

•••
amenzl said:
Hopefully there is a master plan here and this is the dumbing down period to collect data for future end user sales.

Hopefully the have a back-up plan for when/if BIDO goes down again.

•••
Yofie said:
Some times Proxy bidding is your only choice... With today's domain that sold for $2, it was a pure Quality issue.
One dollar opening bid, no reserve, bid history shows one bidder, but sale price was $2, not $1. This doesn't look like proxy bidding but it may be a glitch due to the unexpected low price.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not as crazy about WINNINGPICK.COM as most of the experts. Should be interesting day tomorrow considering it's not a complete dog.

amenzl said:
They need to add a thumbs down option for the "experts." I think many post are what we'd call thread killers. At the same time they opened themselves up to that kind of consequence.
I like the thumbs up / thumbs down idea for commentary.

Last edited:
•••
Tribulatio said:
I understands that it is quite likely to evolve toward more than just one domain per day. On the other hand, there shouldn't be too many, otherwise it would look like any other marketplace. Half-a-dozen per day, maybe?

Bido is a liquidation engine, I don't see us capping it at 6 per day anymore than we want to cap it at 1 per day. We're building processes, watching and collecting statistics, configuring the platform all in preparation for a larger splash.

mjbenterprises said:
Well, Estibot gives MyAstrologist.com a value of RegFee...Got that one right on the money..

This domain sold for $590 on Bido, beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder. The seller was realistic and decided to sell for what the market will bear. The market bore this amount, overall the success is there. The auction would have been successful at $5 or at $5000, it provided a value to the buyer as well as the value to the seller as it was designed to do.
As as aside, we don't overall disagree with your point in hand. We do look forward to the quality of names increasing and we have some new process flow coming soon to address this issue.

MinionDH said:
How are names like EquityGrant.com, DressOrganic.com, and BuyCheaply.com going to offset the cost of expensive advertising and months of fixing technical issues?

All the creative advertising in the world won't sell bad domain names. The recession isn't helping either.

Good luck though.

Those three names you point out were actually legacy submissions by sellers from our initial launch. Had we ramped up since then without the hiatus of no auctions for several months, I think the quality at this point in time would be different.
Regarding the recession not helping either, this is actually part of the reason why Bido is a timely product. If you're a ready, willing, and able seller, the platform will provide fair market value for your sales.

tata668 said:
Dubious sale I'd say.
The sale completed and the domain has changed hands... nothing dubious.

HuntingMoon said:
my feedback is to move the time of the daily auction back 90 minutes. that would put it ahead of snapnames and namejet. it would add more west coast, u.s. bidders imho.

nice sale this morning!

Thank you, will discuss with the team and consider.

dtagr said:
I'm new to the industry but who are these experts? The first guy offering an opinion about barpictures dotcom says 27000 searches per month. Google keyword tool when configured properly says 880. BS like that will fool a noob but no one who posts that crap deserves to be called an expert. Is he a shareholder?

I like the concept that Bido has and I like the auction time. I hope they do well. I'll join when I see a name that I want.

And I like the purple skin.

None of the Experts are shareholders.

Cronus said:
Does Bido do any sort of bidder verification? Or can you just sign up using a throwaway gmail account and bid the auctions up for fun? It will be interesting to see if this $810 "sale" goes through.

I do think that Bido could be interesting if they are able to offer really great domains, and I wish them the best in any case.

As the other NP members already confirmed, yes, Bido requires account validation.

ripley said:

If I'm reading the info from the earlier Bido poster correctly, these "auction channels" -- is the idea that your software would facilitate individuals' auctions around whatever theme they might choose? If so I think that's potentially a cool idea.

Correct! Thank you!

•••
MediaHound said:
This domain sold for $590 on Bido, beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder.

QUOTE]

Bido.com is not beauty, Bido is Zero, Mind you.

•••
Archangel said:
I was suggesting that Bido (bid0 or whatever it is) should have 1 domain per niche a day opposed to just 1 domain a day. Variety is the spice of life. If there were only one brand of breakfast cereal, we'd all get bored. Imagine: One business domain a day PLUS 1 adult domain PLUS 1 health domain etc. Set them up to run as their own independant auctions so BIDo/0/whatever would have multiple auctions running a day, all catered to a different niche. I might even sign up with this format. The current seems boring to me and doesn't have much of an appeal.

Thanks Randy, we will open the platform up to different niches, such as ccTLDs, etc. In time there will be multiple per day and we are moving away from the 1 per day format. Catering to different needs of the buyers as well as the sellers is a priority.

equity78 said:
Jarred and this is not a criticism, I am actually indifferent to the name EquityGrant.com. But you used the wording Premium Domain, IYO is EquityGrant.com a premium domain ? Thank you

It got 20 bids and sold for $810. "Premium" has no finite boundaries. The domain on the Bido platform did command a premium value from the market, imo.

bmugford said:
It will be interesting to see what FixedLoans.com goes for. While it is not the best term, it still has a use. If EquityGrant.com went for $800 this one has to be higher.

Brad

As you probably saw by now, $5,459.00 was the sale price for FixedLoans.com.

ali123 said:
how do you make profit off this system? I mean one domain a day....

There's a big loss at one auction per day, its no secret.
The one per day format is not permanent and is just a start.

shreder said:
Aren't these prices what brought Bido DOWN the last time?

They started with $XXXX domains and eventually ended with low $XXX domains and then I believe they said that they cannot cover their expenses with those prices so they have to take Bido down to reconsider their plans...

BarPictures.com would have done better on Sedo auction without all the attention and promotion that Bido gets...

I exptected MUCH more from Bido, they should have at least launched with some REAL premium domains.

The suggestion was never stated, Bido was certainly not taken down to reconsider plans about finance related matters. It was purely an architectural issue, and is all resolved now.
Speculation about what the domain would have commanded on another venue is nothing more than speculation. The proof is in the results, and we did what was aimed to do, the sale was made where the seller got fair market value and the buyer acquired the domain at a price he was happy with, from a motivated seller.

Deaol said:
Sounds like someone is trying to operate a domain auction site around their lunch hour at their real job :laugh:
Somebody say lunchtime? :)

evirtual1 said:
auctions need to run longer and perhaps 3 categories

$1. reserve
$100. reserve
$1000.reserve

they should listen that one hour is not long enough , but i am happy to see something other sedo

Thank you for the feedback, those suggestions and other formats are being considered.

•••
MediaHound said:
Thanks Randy, we will open the platform up to different niches, such as ccTLDs, etc. In time there will be multiple per day and we are moving away from the 1 per day format. Catering to different needs of the buyers as well as the sellers is a priority.

It got 20 bids and sold for $810. "Premium" has no finite boundaries. The domain on the Bido platform did command a premium value from the market, imo.

As you probably saw by now, $5,459.00 was the sale price for FixedLoans.com.

There's a big loss at one auction per day, its no secret.
The one per day format is not permanent and is just a start.

The suggestion was never stated, Bido was certainly not taken down to reconsider plans about finance related matters. It was purely an architectural issue, and is all resolved now.
Speculation about what the domain would have commanded on another venue is nothing more than speculation. The proof is in the results, and we did what was aimed to do, the sale was made where the seller got fair market value and the buyer acquired the domain at a price he was happy with, from a motivated seller.

Fixedloans.com due to that domain, you got about 20k visitors a a day and server broke down, and bido.com , a domain company who had no financial problem took about 6 months or so, (dont remember exactly but was over 4-5 months) to fix the server and architect work Big LOL.

After they made it back, I dont see any Single change or design, or architect issue.

I am sorry and hate to say, bido.com is looser so far. Bido.com need to come up with better ideas and better reasons for domainers to support them.

It should not take that long to implement another idea when first idea is not working.

Cheers to Bido.com Thumbs down so far.

Hope you guys make it something interesting otherwise your server will break again.

And also have some back up server next time, if you get over 20k visitors for LLL.com next month :lol:

•••
Archangel said:
And domain quality might go up or it might stay where it is. Sure, they had big sales in the past but unless they get up to SEDO/Afternic popularity status, I doubt many people would risk listing ABC.com there with a $1 starting bid/no reserve.
If they want to liquidate abc.com they will find Bido will provide that liquidity and get fair market value. Again, it comes down to being a ready, willing, and able seller. The decision to sell at $1 no reserve falls in the ready or willing category, arguably with some overlapping there.. :)

•••
jhansen said:
Keep your eye on next week's names! :)

Keep your eyes on next Week "Weak" names. :blink:

MediaHound said:
If they want to liquidate abc.com they will find Bido will provide that liquidity and get fair market value. Again, it comes down to being a ready, willing, and able seller. The decision to sell at $1 no reserve falls in the ready or willing category, arguably with some overlapping there.. :)

I really want to support bido.com, but for god sake make it something interesting, and not start with reg fee names, why are you guys hurting your brand that badly with reg fee names that dont even make sense at all.

I hope in the near future, you guys auctions Decent Generics but not reg fee names, and make it $1 dollar reserve then everyone want to jump on bido.com because of thinking of it bidding on decent name but not on "reg fee name"

•••
tvdotcoms said:
Fixedloans.com due to that domain, you got about 20k visitors a a day and server broke down, and bido.com , a domain company who had no financial problem took about 6 months or so, (dont remember exactly but was over 4-5 months) to fix the server and architect work Big LOL.

After they made it back, I dont see any Single change or design, or architect issue.

I am sorry and hate to say, bido.com is looser so far. Bido.com need to come up with better ideas and better reasons for domainers to support them.

It should not take that long to implement another idea when first idea is not working.

Cheers to Bido.com Thumbs down so far.

Hope you guys make it something interesting otherwise your server will break again.

And also have some back up server next time, if you get over 20k visitors for LLL.com next month :lol:

Thats ok, we are rolling out changes slowly. There is major functionality yet to be unveiled. Many are minor and were already.
I respect your skepticism, it's not possible to figure out what we built already and what we are building towards. We realize the downtime caused us to loose some momentum, some sellers had to wait many months for their names to finally go to the auction block, meanwhile a lot of processes were designed in the interim and we did the needful things on our end to prepare the business, the architecture, etc., for a bigger picture. It's no secret - our versioning is displayed in the title bar and already thousands of those public versions to date have caused it to increment accordingly. We do plan to keep it interesting and provide a service to buyers and sellers and we are categorically committed to the domain channel.

mjbenterprises said:
I think Bido is great way to bring publicity to the world of domain names..Even with all the problems, anything that brings attention to what we are doing as far as domain names is a good thing...
Bravo, thank you. Rep given.

Expron said:
Let's give Bido a chance / try again & see what happens. Hopefully the marketing here at namepros pays off.

The first day grantequity.com sold for over $800 was astonishing. Today's domain ended at $100. I'm curious to see what will happen with FixedLoans.com

I find it funny that the experts are allowed to bash the domains.

We provide guidelines for Experts Commentaries, but all comments are approved automatically now, there's really no more intervention aside from the right reserved to moderate anything extreme. We hope this change is welcome by the community.

Archangel said:
If nothing more, I like their log in system. It's pretty cool, with the "log in image" and all.
Thank you Randy, glad you like it!

dtagr said:
Allowing all comments is good, but I hope that Bido regularly ranks it's own experts and removes those that aren't up to snuff. By that I mean those that cheerlead crappy domains or just plain get it wrong too many times.

On one hand I hope the name quality improves, on the other I hope I can get some of my crappy ones sold too.

One other thought - Perhaps Bido could sell one domain at a time instead of one a day with or without reserve. So if one were to check you would see one in auction, one in queue and then again later in the day one in auction one in the queue. And then in the middle of the night another new name in the auction and one in the queue. Keep the auctions in one hour in length and sell a whack of domains.

Just my $.02.

Thank you for the feedback and vote in favor of that scheduling format, it's appreciated.

kukgle said:
So, it's joint company, right?
As pointed out already, no we are not joined but we do business together. Hopefully a lot more to come in time!

Michael said:
I'm a huge fan of Bido's concept and execution. Sahar, Jarred, and the others on the team are a great group of guys. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for the industry.

I think as word spreads and Bido proves itself as a great place to sell domains, the quality of domains listed will increase which will bring more buyers to the table. This started happening before Bido shut down for a while, several four and five figure domains went up on the auction block. All it needs is to build up momentum again and we'll see great things happen.

Best of luck to you guys :tu:

Thank you very much, means a lot to us!

ripley said:
It looks to me like they attempt to let users do that themselves; there's a "thumbs up" bug on each comment, and I would assume the ones with more thumbs up get displayed higher.

EDIT: Actually it looks like the "number of thumbs up" each comment has doesn't have any effect on how prominently it's displayed. I would suggest Bido think about changing that, so the cream rises to the top, so to speak.

ripley.

There is an algorithm for commentaries to be displayed, also involves how fleshed out the Expert Member's profile is among other things. We are testing a predictability index as well as a new spin on expert appraisals, and this will be weighed in as well. Thank you for the feedback, we realize the position of commentaries is important and that they should be listed accordingly. You can already click a link to sort the comments by votes should that be the metric you want to quickly scan.

~ The 34 Year Buzz!! said:
How about one domain per day in four or five different categories?
  • The categories could cover broad subjects, instead of trying to label the domains as "common", "premium", "super-premium" (for example)
This way you can still use "The Power Of One" theme, and make the site more interesting and profitable for everyone.

Thanks...
Thank you, good suggestion!

joeyhavlock said:
Hi folks, interesting read in this thread. Can someone tell me how much traffic Bido.com is actually receiving? Is there some place where we can actually see how much traffic an auction past/present or future is getting? We're having a little trouble understanding how one could submit a premium domain for auction in this format if there is no statistical guarantee of qualified traffic.
Aside, Bido.com looks great and is a really nice concept and we wish you all the best of luck with the venture!
joey
While we currently don't give out stats it is an interesting suggestion and something I will submit to the team for review.

Steve said:
:imho:

Just my personal two cents...

The comments by industry professionals are really cool and really useful. I like that unique feature of Bido.

Bido would be a lot more valuable to domainers and a lot more successful if they auctioned off 24 domains a day for 24 hours, especially since they're mostly dealing with very low-caliber names that I personally wouldn't pay $5 for in the TDNAM bargain bin. (MyAstrologist.com? HipHopPhotography.com? Come on...)
We hear you! Thanks for the suggestion :) And thanks for the kind words about one of the things that makes us unique.

gazzip said:
Are these House names being auctioned or owned by other people ?
They are all owned by other people, aside from some three letter dot coms that we recently decided to infuse and raise the quality bar and make things a little more exciting. When we first launched, we had to kickstart the auctions with house listings, recently we moved away from that aside from this decision to sell some of our company owned three letter dot coms.
Before any auction is listed as for sale on the Bido site, we transfer the domains into our secure escrow account... so our company info will appear in whois for all the names you see on the site. Just to clarify that as some have asked privately, I am sure some are wondering and not asking...

•••
All right, let's give you back the power one one, shall we?

One premium domain from one ext AND reserve a day:

You could have 6 auctions that run, one for each: .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .everything else

These would be tiered: $1 starting, $100 starting, $1000 starting

This way, you'll have 18 auctions running a day. NO AUCTION would be THE auction. The power of 1 would still be there although there would be more choice for a buyer. If I don't like the TwoPointlessWord.com at $1000 starting or if I see the current price as unrealistic to me, I might head over to the .net/$100 starting auction. It might seem more realistically priced and thus would get my bids.

The power of Voice: A forum should be set up so BIDO can list the domains they are considering for auction. ppl could then speculate on them and BIDO would choose accordingly. And should these ppl be compensated? No -- if they want to see a LLL.com on BIDO and one is listed in the forum, then they'll have to make their voice heard so as to ensure it gets its place in queue.

There are others but these 2 alone might save BIDO from walking the way of the dinosaur.

•••
ty said:
Normally, how long should it be after we submit the domian names?
I already submit one.

JackpotSecret

I do not know how long i should wait for they to make the decission.

Typically its 24-48 hours, sometimes much sooner. Please email me if you need further info [email protected]

•••
MediaHound said:
"Premium" has no finite boundaries.
The nominal value of myentitlement dot com is approximately $12 based on the time value of registration (expires 13-sep-2010) and the premium paid today was negative $10. A negative premium pushes the boundary in an odd direction, reflecting poorly on an otherwise impressive platform. Domainers are chomping at the bit for better trading services. Bido has staked a good position and with smart decisions can fill the void.

•••
Len said:
Is there no way that Bido could let us know if our domains are not going to be accepted? Just a cursory 'No thanks' email would suffice IMO.
Thank you for the feedback. We tried this and it causes debates, not healthy for either party involved. When we open things up to more sales than 1 per day, we will accept more names, so really there is no need to decline them yet when there is always a possibility for it to eventually make it into auction (should any worth exist). If you submitted names and didnt hear back and feel you deserved a personal response, we are sorry and apologize. Upon submitting your names its clear that if they are selected you will be notified. We will work to make this even clearer so thank you for the feedback.

MicroGuy said:
Agreed. The domain selection process may just be the downfall of an otherwise promising platform. Perhaps Bido should allow commentary on domain 'submissions' before they are actually accepted for auction?

There are a few ways to address this core issue and while we may not have the perfect solution yet, we seek it and will try different things. Thank you for the suggestion, its very much appreciated.

dotnom said:
Indeed a voting system for names that they are submitted to bido could be beneficial for bido's staff because they will not only gain time but the same time increase the overall quality of their service easily.

(I even changed my sig to make them see one of my domains faster :tri: :D)
Thank you!

Archangel said:
A week's passed so let's crunch some numbers!

BuyCheaply.com 16
MyAstrologist.com 590
HipHopPhotography.com 28
DressOrganic.com 55
FixedLoans.com 5459
BarPictures.com 100
EquityGrant.com 810

Average sale: $1,008
Average sale not considering FixedLoans.com: $266.50

Highest sale: $5,459
Lowest sale: $16
Amount of sales over $500: 3
Amount of sales over $1,000: 1
Amount of sales at $100 or less: 4

Profits fir BIDO, at 8%: Less than $700

My assumptions for next week:

MyEntitlement.com: mid $xx at best
WinningPick.com: early/mid $xxx at best
MyCabana.com: mid $xx at best
JuryLaw.com: early $xx at best
AffordableTelescopes.com: early $xx at best
FlightDegree.com: early/mid $xxx at best
ComfortableChair.com: early $xx at best

(These are my perceptions and do not reflect any other entity's opinions)

BIDO is failing terribly. Jarred, what are you going to do to keep BIDO alive? At this poor rate, you'll be paying out of your pockets to keep is live. IF YOU'RE GOING TO CONTINUE THIS SITE, you need to otherwise only accept valuable domains or increase your percentage to like, 90% of the selling price. And actually, at this rate, 90% might not even help.

If Bido was a final product I would agree with your notion that it needs to be fixed to stay alive but as stated ad nauseum, this is just a start and many things will unfold in time. Of course we cannot thrive with 8% commission on sales numbers like that each day. Specifically, there will be more than one auction per day. Anything more specific than that will need more time to be announced. Cheers

bmugford said:
I think it is just going to be hard at this point to get people with true premium domains to commit to a $1 start / 1 Hour / No Reserve auction.

Let's face it, Bido.com is for domainers and the biggest sales come from end users. While a company like SEDO has a vast majority of domainers, there are still several end user sales on there.

It might be a good idea to have some kind of reasonable reserves and/or starting prices for true premium domains, or extended bidding.

You could always have a premium domain with a higher opening bid. If it doesn't get an opening bid in say 10 minutes then it defaults to a backup option domain at the original $1 / 1 Hour / No Reserve model.

I would also open the auctions up to high end domains in respectable extensions at least net/org. There is no reason a premium .NET dictionary word or product related domain would not sell for good money on there. I think just leaving it as .COM only is limiting the options.

What you are ending up with is TwoWord.com medicore domains with no clear use, instead of premiums with clear uses in other respectable extensions.

BIDO's cut from BuyCheaply.com is $1.28, and I doubt that is gonna cut it long term.

Just my thoughts.

Brad

Thank you Brad, all good points and noted.
Keep them coming, as you know they don't fall on deaf ears.

Earthian said:

since they seem to want to keep the "power of 1" theme , here are some suggestions ...

- set the open bidding to "1 day" instead of "1 hour" ... the auction could end at 1 PM EST (or 1 PM PST) but the bidding would be open for the 22 hours before 1 PM and there would also be 2 hours after 1 PM for auction extensions (eg. 5-minute extensions if there is a bid in the last 5 minutes)

therefore ... auction basically opens for bidding at 3 PM EST >>> 22 hours open bidding >>> 1 PM EST end time >>> 2 hours for extensions >>> 3 PM EST (next day) new auction

by opening the bidding to 1 day (24 hours) they would open up the auction to more people since as it currently is they "exclude" (or "force" to enter max bid ? , which many people don't do) many asian bidders who haven't woken up yet at 6 AM ... as well as many Europeans that might have gone out by 9 PM at night and especially on Fridays

- raise the quality of the domains ... it is very important that the domains for the first weeks to be of high quality so that the high sales atract publicity and interest ... especially so that people with good domains decide to "risk" their good/better domains for the $1 no reserve start (since they would be convinced that with all the interest/bidding the auction will fetch a fair market value)

- add a database of 1 thousand domains with BIN prices chosen by the submitters , something like a sub-section of the 1 bido auction so as to compliment the bido auction and keep people on the site for more time searching for bargains

the domains would be selected by bido in direct correlation to their quality and to the suggested BIN prices so that the marketplace is interesting and competitive

as domains get sold more domains would be continually added so as to keep the 1 thousand domains theme

Thank you for the suggestions, we appreciate it! The BIN pricing model is not something in the works currently, we don't aim to be the next place for those types of sales.

Tribulatio said:
I like the Bido concept, and I also appreciate some of the ideas submitted on this thread.

On the other hand, more and more, my feeling is that we always stay in a closed circle: primarily domainers selling to other domainers. How to break that circle? How to bring domain names to a wider audience of potential customers (beside the usual direct approaching of end-users)?

I think this is the direction in which our creative thinking should go. Just toying with ideas at the time.

In the meantime, Bido is a welcome player anyway, since it offers something different.
Thanks Tribulatio. It is a lot of work but we are experimenting with these types of things. See for example: http://www.conceptualist.com/2008/07/15/the-way-marketing-should-be/

Archangel said:
Looks like they have a few somewhat gems coming up. So maybe they'll get to $10k week on it. Kudos to BIDO for having a week coming up that's worth paying attention to!

tyvm!

Archangel said:
I think BIDO has a working concept but their selection of domains usually suck and as you pointed out, a 1-hour auction just doesn't cut it. I understand them wanting to brand the 'power of 1' thing into our minds but if the site keeps this up, it'll falter and then fail just like the old 'One Ugly Domain' idea.
You'll see this catchphrase phased out soon.

Archangel said:
MyEntitlement.com -- "premium" domain sold for $2!

...what the hell just happened? Was there a huge lack of interest in the domain or were ppl just bored with BIDO?

Hell, I haven't seen anyone in this thread for awhile. Either the domain or the platform, I guess ppl are losing interest with this.

We provide the platform, the interest in the platform is certainly existent. It's why we are here talking about it. We realize people like to watch big sales and bidding frenzies, but overall we are accomplishing the task at hand which is rolling out a platform for buyers and sellers. There was a lack of interest in the domain (again, no secret) but when we run more than one domain per day it will be a fairly non-issue.

-rj- said:
Might I suggest the 1PM Eastern start time be changed to 1PM Pacific Time? The small change would give people an extra three hours to really consider the name and get their bids in.

Mornings are busy for me, filled with talking to clients, answering emails, paying bills, etc. It's not until the afternoon I get to visit my favorite websites. I suspect a lot of people have similar types of routines because I notice our activity on NamePros hits its highest points between Noon and 3PM Pacific.

Best wishes moving forward, guys. I'm sure bido will grow and prosper in time.

RJ
Thanks Ron, something I will propose with the team. Once we move from the one per day format it will be moot but in the meantime perhaps we can switch it up a bit and test things out. Of course after "the power of 1" is phased out.. ;) No promises here but its something we will discuss. The blessing and kind words are appreciated!

amenzl said:
They need to add a thumbs down option for the "experts." I think many post are what we'd call thread killers. At the same time they opened themselves up to that kind of consequence.

Hopefully there is a master plan here and this is the dumbing down period to collect data for future end user sales.

Looking forward and hoping for their success.

We tried thumbs down for a while when we first launched, response was negative, perhaps we will try it again, not sure yet. Now that all comments are approved its something we can re evaluate. Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
Just wanted to say thanks to Bido for taking the time to answer all those points. Of course I realize your early success is predicated on people like us adopting your platform and coming back and back, but I sure wish some other companies would pay as much attention to its natural customer base (cough cough, Dynadot).

ripley.

•••
Today's auction on Bido is WinningPick.com

http://www.bido.com/Auction?name=winningpick.com

The auction started about fifteen minutes ago.
The expert commentaries were very positive, stop by and take a look.
Be sure to try out the platform if you have yet to give it a spin. ;)

•••
Thanks for clarifying all of these points Jarred.

I like the one hour auction. Don't change it. If someone really wants that domain they will stay up or get up early. This is exactly why bricks and mortar companies use terms like "Limited Time Only!!" or "First Come First Serve!" or "No Rainchecks". If you go now you get a deal, if you wait you lose. It creates a sense of urgency and excitement.

Don't know if I missed it (it's a long thread), are there plans for an affiliate program?

Final thing, I would like to get an official notice if my domains are rejected. If someone can't handle the rejection - block sender.

I'm looking forward to watching Bido grow. Any alternative to the big 2 auction houses is welcome.

•••
ripley said:
Just wanted to say thanks to Bido for taking the time to answer all those points. Of course I realize your early success is predicated on people like us adopting your platform and coming back and back, but I sure wish some other companies would pay as much attention to its natural customer base (cough cough, Dynadot).

ripley.
I second this sentiment. It's great seeing Bido's involvement with the entire domaining community. Doing so helps build goodwill that makes people want to see you succeed. Kudos to you and your team.

-rj-

•••
dtagr said:
...Don't know if I missed it (it's a long thread), are there plans for an affiliate program?

Final thing, I would like to get an official notice if my domains are rejected. If someone can't handle the rejection - block sender.

I'm looking forward to watching Bido grow. Any alternative to the big 2 auction houses is welcome.

You didn't miss it, the affiliate program has not been mentioned yet. No official announcement yet but we know it would be beneficial.
RE: notice of declination - It's not a matter entirely about if they can handle the rejection or not, its also an issue of when we can auction the domain, just perhaps not now at one per day. Perhaps the names selected will get approved when we can handle more submissions. So it's multi faceted... we do realize this could be improved and hope the upcoming changes address the core issue. If the names were instantly approved, the seller typically would hear back within 24-48 hours.

•••
ripley said:

ripley.

Agreed highly. I still think BIDO has a long road ahead of them but they're listening, contemplating and taking action. So unlike many companies who never listen to the sellers *cough eBay* BIDO has what it takes to succeed. Now let's see where they fare in the long run.

•••
Right now on Bido is JuryLaw.com

http://www.bido.com/Auction?name=jurylaw.com

This is a no reserve auction, bidding is at $21 right now, so join in!

While you are there, please read the expert commentaries. We're featuring one commentary per auction now, its a new feature of Bido, so please let us know your thoughts about it!

•••
I'm all for turning lemons into lemonade, but the first sentence in a Bido e-mail today is stretching that a bit: "We're a couple of weeks into our relaunch and it's been a complete success."

•••
I missed the show today. >:(

ripley.

•••
It's been doing decent but not much to call home about

verbster said:
I'm all for turning lemons into lemonade, but the first sentence in a Bido e-mail today is stretching that a bit: "We're a couple of weeks into our relaunch and it's been a complete success."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back