IT.COM

question Approaching an IT Company in Germany for .Com Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JamesCrew

Established Member
Impact
So I found this non-hypenated .com domain for an IT company based in Germany that is using a .de domain with more than one hypen.

My questions:
1. Would it be a good idea to register the .com and approach the company for it?
2. What experience you guys have in selling domains to German market?
3. What price should I expect from the IT company for the .com domain?
4. Or does the idea sucks and should I just let it all go?

Thanks,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Probably not, Germans love hyphens and .de is the most established cctld in the world (except for .tk which doesn't count since they're free to register)
2. None, generally .de domains are preferred over .coms and they require an admin address in Germany which I don't have
3. Hard to put a potential price on it. If the IT company targets businesses globally and not just in Germany, then it might be worth trying to sell the .com to them, but might be tricky to find out this information.
4. Probably.

•••
What kind of IT company?

•••
German love to have hyphen in between words

Like James-Crew

Thanks

•••
Thanks for your share @Dominium.

I wanted to know about this because recently I saw a .com domain I shortlisted couple of months ago to purchase at some later date, was registered by an established German business using .de extension for their primary business. It was an exact .com matching their .de domain.

So that's why I though there's an interest in the .com as well, may be for brand protection and whatnot.

•••
•••
Stay away, I deal with german companies quite a lot and it's more than likely trademarked

Registering company names is not good practice and will only lead to lawsuits for you

•••
You can reg the name, but don't contact them, let them contact you if they want it - could be a long wait in this case.

•••
Stay away, I deal with german companies quite a lot and it's more than likely trademarked

Registering company names is not good practice and will only lead to lawsuits for you
Question: Even if it's a trademark, wouldn't that be only in Germany for .de domains?

•••
You can reg the name, but don't contact them, let them contact you if they want it - could be a long wait in this case.

Until drop :D

•••
Question: Even if it's a trademark, wouldn't that beonly in Germany for .de domains?

No its not, you would still be infringing on their trademark

Its like me registering Microsoft.de, Toyota.com.au or Apple.co.nz and trying to sell it to them, its still a TM

If you used it for something totally different, then thats fair use and you will be ok, but you have made it clear why you want to register the name

Dont get involved in TM names

•••
The OP says the domain is still unregistered. The question is:
  1. should he register the domain
  2. should he try to sell it to the German company
In addition to what Giles said, I would say forget it because:
  1. the name is most likely unregistered for a reason: they are not interested
  2. a good domain name is a domain name that has more than just one 'obvious' buyer

•••
poor reason #1, good reason #2 xD it's your job as a domainer to make them interested! :alien2:

•••
No its not, you would still be infringing on their trademark

Its like me registering Microsoft.de, Toyota.com.au or Apple.co.nz and trying to sell it to them, its still a TM

If you used it for something totally different, then thats fair use and you will be ok, but you have made it clear why you want to register the name

Dont get involved in TM names

I see. Thanks for the guidance mate. Really appreciate it. I thought that the trademark thingy only works from country-to-country basis for domains.

I get it now, my idea is not only less-effective but also unethical. I will leave the domain as is.

Thanks to all who helped.

•••

I agree, triple check the trademark registrations, they take this very seriously

•••
I see. Thanks for the guidance mate. Really appreciate it. I thought that the trademark thingy only works from country-to-country basis for domains.

I get it now, my idea is not only less-effective but also unethical. I will leave the domain as is.

Thanks to all who helped.

Good decision, its great to see people doing the right thing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back