IT.COM

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Total gdn

Try site:.cars
Lot of developed .cars website
About 8,94,000 results (0.45 seconds)
Please note that renewal is more than $2000 and more. There are always some people for anything.
Once again they are happy to pay the registry, but not a domain reseller. How many of .cars domains are sold by domainers, or resold?

.app with eap and renewal cost nothing in it for the domainer. If your buying an app domain to develop an app around it, so be it, but we all know how many lame apps are out there for pretty much every topic, doesn’t make much sense.

Right now the argument is since everyone is registering .app, I will also, not always the most successful move, but since the gtld releases have been dormant a while, many people quickly forget the tens of thousands of gtld for sale threads on namepros without any bids.

You can’t be successful with a 3-4 figure renewal fee in place in the long run, unless you are the underlying registry.

Last edited:
•••
If one spends some time on ngtld research, one will be amazed to learn how many websites run on them. In case of .app I went further than just Google page and found many working sites. If one tries the same for .xyz/.pro , he will find lots of developed ones. It is called end user adoption.

Regarding .cars: I'm talking about live ngtld websites rather than number of results returned by Google.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Right now the argument is since everyone is registering .app, I will also, not always the most successful move, but since the gtld releases have been dormant a while, many people quickly forget the tens of thousands of gtld for sale threads on namepros without any bids.
You can’t be successful with a 3-4 figure renewal fee in place in the long rub, unless you are the underlying registry.

People always follow trend. I hope reseller will sell few .app domain(s) till the trend is hot.

•••
People always follow trend. I hope reseller will sell few .app domain(s) till the trend is hot.
If someone manages to sell a few .app domains to some uneducated late to the party chasers that will only encourage, and open the flood gates for other lemmings to use any sale at this point as a comparative sale to go out, and register more.

Google has clearly put the message out there with the $500 renewal on the majority of mid level keywords this is an extension for users, not domainers.

•••
Google has clearly put the message out there with the $500 renewal on the majority of mid level keywords this is an extension for users, not domainers.

For lots, but not all. It's like finding pokΓ©mon.

•••
Instead of $500 renewal a smart end user will use $490 for ad expense by using low renewal domain.

•••
O_oO_oO_oO_o 1K lol... BlockchainS.APP makes zero sense. It's not worth $1....
98% of Crypto names aren’t worth $1 but they seem to sell like hotcakes lmao I’m aware Blockchain would be much better, but I have no doubt blockchains.app would sell eventually. The question is how much? I sure as hell don’t want to be the lab rat lol

•••
Probably just like .mobi was supposed to be the 'standard' extension for mobile websites

I don't own any. Not comparable in my view. The marketing copy may sound the same, but the foundation is different.

A different domain for the same website never made sense.

Apps and website content are consumed through two different platforms. They exist independently. Heck they are even searched separately. One in app stores and one on web.

However there isn't a shared common ground. This creates that opportunity for a standard.

I personally don't care if others don't get it. I don't base my decisions on crowds. Doing what everyone else does makes you average... I'm not average.

I expect to use these domains to make lots of money. Very few do what I do.

•••
I don't own any. Not comparable in my view. The marketing copy may sound the same, but the foundation is different.

A different domain for the same website never made sense.

Apps and website content are consumed through two different platforms. They exist independently. Heck they are even searched separately. One in app stores and one on web.

However there isn't a shared common ground. This creates that opportunity for a standard.

I personally don't care if others don't get it. I don't base my decisions on crowds. Doing what everyone else does makes you average... I'm not average.

I expect to use these domains to make lots of money. Very few do what I do.
You budgeted $100k for app, and the biggest one you reported was wedding.app? Lol

Moving.app, ha ha guess how many years I have owned movingapp com, last week someone offered $60 via afternic broker, was that you?

App domains were hot from about 2011-2015 then they just dropped, there was a guy named Neil Ratna who owned many great ones, was active in the forums a few years back, then his names just started dropping.

It’s easy to make stuff up, but you are commenting to the underlying .coms I have, and others I know have owned for years, and have the stats, and offers on them. So you paid EAP, plus $500 annual renewal
For moving.app ? Really you got it all figured out, except I have years of stats, and offers on the .com’s, which is tangible information.

I am happy to see all the people develop these .app keywords, as we all know where the traffic goes.

But oh wait, now everyone is going to pile on and say .com is worthless, .com is dead, .app trumps all.

Last edited:
•••
I am happy to see all the people develop these .app keywords, as we all know where the traffic goes.

Talking of making stuff up... No, we don't know where the traffic goes, because the future hasn't happened yet.

•••
You budgeted $100k for app, and the biggest one you reported was wedding.app? Lol

Moving.app, ha ha guess how many years I have owned movingapp com, last week someone offered $60 via afternic broker, was that you?

App domains were hot from about 2011-2015 then they just dropped, there was a guy named Neil Ratna who owned many great ones, was active in the forums a few years back, then his names just started dropping.

It’s easy to make stuff up, but you are commenting to the underlying .coms I have, and others I know have owned for years, and have the stats, and offers on them. So you paid EAP, plus $500 annual renewal
For moving.app ? Really you got it all figured out, except I have years of stats, and offers on the .com’s, which is tangible information.

You can just develop your movingapp.com and pay 390 for ad expense your domain can easily beat premium .app domain.

Last edited:
•••
Talking of making stuff up... No, we don't know where the traffic goes, because the future hasn't happened yet.
Yes, your right .app is a game changer,
Will change the way apps are viewed and downloaded forever lol

Listen if there are guys that have money to blow, and want to waste it by all means, but the forums are read by many newbies who maybe have $500 saved up, and read this kind of stuff, and get burned, and the industry as a whole loses when this happens.

Nothing new here, there are over 1000 gtld extensions, every week you only see a few in the reports, it is a business for the registry, not for the domainer. If you are going to build a business against every .app you register, well wow, good on you, but we all know how many times we have acquired a domain, and say we are going to develop it, only to see it sit for years. We are all guilty of this.

This has all been discussed in 2014, the same arguments, the same rebuttals, the same speeches, I didn’t see many of the people here in Feb 2014, or in 2015, when donuts released their reserves etc... if anything those were the times to get the gtlds, because the registries hadn’t figured them out yet, by about 2016 they figured out they were not going to make money, and the renewals were marked from the start, and gtld interest waivered, and adoption was very slow. There is always someone to think outside the box, but if they are going to do that, they can tap into those 1000 extensions, and make something up for $2.99, rather than pay a domainer.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, you're right .app is a game changer,
Will change the way apps are viewed and downloaded forever lol

I didn't say that.

•••
~ the same noise was with .cloud and .tech
And who was right???

•••
~ the same noise was with .cloud and .tech
And who was right???
You are right .cloud was a very expensive acquisition for the registry, I remember searching when they were released, I believe many of the terms were coming up in 5 figures, some even 6 figures.

Meeting.Cloud is $115,000 from the registry if anyone is interested. Good thing is after you pay that, it is only $1100 annual renewal after that.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding apps...
Absolutely most developers don't spend significant money on their domains for homepages... they are usually handregs.
So don't expect "easy money" in this niche.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding apps...
Absolutely most developers don't spend significant money on their domains for homepages... they are usually handregs.
So don't expect "easy money" in this niche.
Most people on earth don't spend significant money on domains for homepages. So I'm not sure whether your point applies to this niche specifically.

Last edited:
•••
I know what I'm saying...
Because I had many inquiries from various app developers... and most offers were no higher than 500 USD/EUR.
Yes, were also more strong app developers with $1-3K budgets... but their share among all inquiries is 20% max.

Last edited:
•••
any suggestions of places to point registered .apps too?
can't just update the dns like the other couple of names i have

-j

•••
.app will be the future and does not have to compete β€œagainst” .com. Let me explain why.

- search results in app stores are very competitive. For a person to link people through β€œneighbor.app” it will not bleed traffic into competitor apps.

- keywordapp.com doesn’t make sense as the brand.com makes a lot more sense however developers will PREFER name.app over name.com as it will allow the consumer to know its an app right away to download/browse

- consumers will widely adapt to clicking .app as top 200 apps spend 5-10 million a day in advertising people will start to see a huge influx of brand.app to download/browse instead of long url names .com

So many more reasons why this will prosper but just my two cents.

•••
Devs are using many TLDs... not only .com
Mainly .io/.PRO/.me/.net/.org
This week some app developer from California purchased even .life from me.
So .app is just 1 more alternative for them.

Last edited:
•••
i regged Dieting.App just one will keep it for long like 3 or 4 years atleast !!

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back