IT.COM

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.APP will be the standard. That is why it is different and matters.
Probably just like .mobi was supposed to be the 'standard' extension for mobile websites, .aero for aeronautics or .museum for museums...
If this is your expectation, you should drop out now and cut losses.

PS: .mobi was actually backed by Google.

•••
Google plus also backed by Google but everyone is using Facebook. Most people cannot afford premium renewals or high renewal.

Last edited:
•••
I think everyone has the picture now. The thread was about what others are doing with .app, not what they're not doing :sleep:.

•••
I think everyone has the picture now. The thread was about what others are doing with .app, not what they're not doing :sleep:.

Has anyone else got any .app domains that they'd like to share? :xf.grin:

•••
•••
Tried to register using google domains but error, "Google Domains does not support the .APP ending until May 8th."
And on or after 8th May I will found all the domains, I can make profit are gone.

Last edited:
•••
Tried to register using google domains but error, "Google Domains does not support the .APP ending until May 8th."
And after May 8th I will found all the domains, I can make profit are gone.

I first tried google myself I also kept getting that message, so I just paid premium over at
uniregistry.com. I knew what I wanted wasn't going to be available on the 8th.

Last edited:
•••
And after May 8th I will found all the domains, I can make profit are gone.

Try Godaddy or Uniregistry if you want to register one now, it will tell you the price at the current phase.

•••
An Example
I selected
Well, what do you know...graphics.app is available
$328.90
Renewal $218.90 for 1 year

I am afraid instead of making profit I may find myself paying for it.

•••
•••
Just on google and found that 764 .app sites already index'ed.

Has anyone else got any .app domains that they'd like to share? :xf.grin:

Heres 2. If I get more on the 8th will share those

socialmedia.app (regular $17 renewal)
entertainment.app ($100 renewal)

Entertainment apps are the 5th largest category of app in the Google Play store so figured that one was worth a slightly higher gamble.

•••
•••
I've also owned some exceptional keyword+app.com names and garnered close to no interest over the last couple of years.... Who's branding their company with "APP" at the end?
Exceptional keyword + app. Now it is the time to get return from your investment.

•••
socialmedia.app (regular $17 renewal)
entertainment.app ($100 renewal)

Very nice names! Surprised to see entertainment.app at a renewal of as low as $100, just cause it's a strong keyword.

•••
Has BlockChains.app sold yet? Was pondering registering it a few days ago cause it was available but, 1k....
O_oO_oO_oO_o 1K lol... BlockchainS.APP makes zero sense. It's not worth $1....

•••
Probably just like .mobi was supposed to be the 'standard' extension for mobile websites, .aero for aeronautics or .museum for museums...
If this is your expectation, you should drop out now and cut losses.

PS: .mobi was actually backed by Google.

I have a friend who builds apps for government linked events and registers their domains at .mobi. Pretty throwback, time to ask if he will now use .app :D

As for .app, I think it's really cool. The app economy is huge, big brands are adopting it instantly (grab.app, uber.app), stalwart brands are also in on it straight away (laliga.app).

It's going to be pretty protected trademark wise, and while it's limited by it's function. If I am building an app I'm gonna use .app. Unless it's called Strapp, then I'm gonna use something else.

Mobi was a victim of its timing. What are you going to do with a .mobi in 2006? Get a link to Nokia ringtone keys ? :p

•••
"So end users started using .app since the very beginning, good news."

Get(dot)app how they advertise? because getapp(dot)com is also a developed site. Needless to say .app is niche category extension and never can compete with .com

Some are redirecting their domain.

Some are 1 page app download site. End users will not bother to go each individual site to download each individual app. On the other hand their download link is also app store link.

I also found every app ending .com not available. Tried to grab few.

•••
We are talking about end user adoption, i.e. whether people will build websites on .app domains.

There are many live .app websites already, including those running on very expensive domains such as art.app. That's a very good sign.

It means that people are ready to pay high registration fees to get .app for their websites.

It means .app seems to be promising for domainers as well.

•••
We are talking about end user adoption, i.e. whether people will build websites on .app domains.

There are many live .app websites already, including those running on very expensive domains such as art.app. That's a very good sign.

It means that people are ready to pay high registration fees to get .app for their websites.

Who knows time will tell. artapp.com is for sale and if it were my domain, I will not sale it cheap instead I will hire web developer and develop it professionally.

•••
Time already tells :)

Lot of developed .app websites in few days of public release.

•••
Time already tells :)

Lot of developed .app websites in few days of public release.
Example?
Try to search site:.xyz in google

About 14,90,00,000 results (0.35 seconds)

More than lot of developed .xyz website

Or site:.pro
More than lot of developed .pro website
About 7,59,00,000 results (0.40 seconds)

Last edited:
•••

You would be amazed how many people will pay a registry thousands, but will not pay a domainer a dime.

This is not the first time we are seeing this, there was investment funds investing in .guru names also when that extension launched.

•••
Example?

So we see end user adoption for xyz/pro domains. That's why they sell.

You would be amazed how many people will pay a registry thousands, but will not pay a domainer a dime.

Maybe, but the more adoption, the higher are chances for domainers.

Last edited:
•••
Example?

Just to provide a bit of perspective, those numbers are the number of indexed documents, not registered .XYZ domains. There are 2.3 million .XYZ domains, 217,500+ are currently in PendingDelete or RedemptionPeriod status. That's down from peak bloat of 6.7 million total .XYZ registrations at the back end of 2016.

See https://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz for deets

•••
So we see end user adoption for xyz/pro domains. That's why they sell.

Try site:.cars
Lot of developed .cars website
About 8,94,000 results (0.45 seconds)
Please note that renewal is more than $2000 and more. There are always some people for almost everything that sell. It does not mean it become hit and well known.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back