IT.COM

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GasMileage,app is available to book if someone feels the need

•••
As of yesterday evening, .app crossed the 200,000 mark. Curious to know if this is a good run rate.

Last edited:
•••
As of yesterday evening, .app crossed the 200,000 mark. Curious to know if this is a good run rate.
The proof will be in a years time when we see how many are retained.

•••
With the launch of the new .app domain extension,
many people are realizing that some forwarding does not support SSL.

Since there are no simple solutions currently available for domainers that do not have technical expertise I have decided to create this simple "App" to help you redirect your domains.

No charge or obligation. I pushed this out in a couple of days so it isn't pretty and it's not 100% done, but it works.

For .app domains to sell better - they first need be have a lander, right?

Let me know if you have any issues.

https://domainsales.app

•••
FYI: Email address is only asked for on signup to verify people dont abuse the system or setup multiple accounts in the case they are blocked for abuse. No email solicitations will be sent, only a verification email.

PS: I had posted an update that temporarily caused the site to hit errors. That should be fixed.

Last edited:
•••
•••

Last edited:
•••
•••
No .app sale yet on namebio. Actually it is not even listed in the 'extensions' dropdown.

•••
No .app sale yet on namebio. Actually it is not even listed in the 'extensions' dropdown.

A few bids at Sedo, that's all. Crazy prizetags certainly a turn-off.

•••

I have talked to Michael at NameBio about this in the past on another extension. It will automatically appear on the dropdown when there is a sale in the database

A few bids at Sedo, that's all. Crazy prizetags certainly a turn-off.

IMO - It is probably going to take a while before we get any news on .app sales - as most of them (if they are selling now) are going to be private sales that aren't reported. Hopefully a few sellers will stand up and report their big sales if/when they happen.
Once .app gains traction you will see more auction action on them and therefore NameBio sales to reference. Next year when a big chunk drops we will certainly see what people are willing to pay for them on an investor level @ GD and DC.

•••
@FlippaDomains - When will .app domains be able to be listed on your platform? Seems like a good match since you guys sell to a lot of developers and also sell apps.

•••
@Michael M I can already see two of them listed @Flippa under featured domaims. Freelancers.app and webdeveloper.app. Although with xxxx minimum.

Last edited:
•••
@Michael M I can already see two of them listed @Flippa under featured domaims. Freelancers.app and webdveloper.app. Although with xxxx minimum.
Really? I didn't realize that. I didn't see it available in the search filter, and couldn't find any by searching for .app. Hopefully they will fix that up soon so they can be found.

Appreciate the information!

•••
FYI Guys: I just assisted one end user (not a domainer) forward a good two word .app domain over to their website which is about their app. Not a full utilization of the domain extension, but they at least saw the need/potential to register one and redirect it.

•••
Just found this: haveibeensold.app it was #1 Product of the Day on 28th may on ProductHunt.

•••
great news !!
rn.app is on SEDO auction now.
Initial bid USD 15 K.

•••
All so good news
Cryptotrading.app
On godaddy has 1 bid at $5200

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
All so good news
Cryptotrading.app
On godaddy has 1 bid at $5200
Only thing that makes me a little skeptical of that is that has 69 days, 20 hours left at this point (so just listed very recently) - has a bid that you would assume is 5,200 since that is the minimum, and a BIN of 8,000.

Just "smells" a little odd.

(you could setup make offer with 20 min, make a bogus offer right away, and then up the minimum price)

Don't mean to be skeptical, but, well... I am. They could have legitimately received a $5,200 bid and if so my bad.

•••
Only thing that makes me a little skeptical of that is that has 69 days, 20 hours left at this point (so just listed very recently) - has a bid that you would assume is 5,200 since that is the minimum, and a BIN of 8,000.

Just "smells" a little odd.

(you could setup make offer with 20 min, make a bogus offer right away, and then up the minimum price)

Don't mean to be skeptical, but, well... I am. They could have legitimately received a $5,200 bid and if so my bad.

You might be right michael you just never no ,
It will be interesting to see if more bids go in

•••
The seller has an ad placed on Domainflation.com for a BIN price. I checked out his Facebook profile, he seems pretty legit to me.

•••
He might be dealing with a "non-payer" scenario if the bidder was a fruit loop though! But the .com sold a few months ago too, so there's always the chance it's the same buyer snapping up the .APP

upload_2018-6-1_15-57-6.png

Last edited:
•••
He might be dealing with a "non-payer" scenario if the bidder was a fruit loop though! But the .com sold a few months ago too, so there's always the chance it's the same buyer snapping up the .APP
Hopefully it is a legit bid and ends in a sale here soon. Verifiable sales will inherently help to build momentum for the .app market.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back