IT.COM

Any full time domainers here?

NameSilo
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
Fulltime domainer i mean a domainer with his major source of income is from domains ,tell us how is your typical day and your portfolio size and sales.

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  1. Get a Starbucks
  2. Check all sales from day before
  3. check all new expiring, dropping and close outs for the day.
  4. Get a Starbucks
  5. Checkout threads on NamePros
  6. Contribute to the community
  7. Get a Starbucks
  8. Go through my 5,000 domains on 10 different registrars make sure none will expire soon.
  9. Renew some domains
  10. Go to court for divorce proceedings because my wife is leaving due to not having a JOB.
I can't speak for everyone, but I think we all have regular jobs or own our own business or multiple business's. Most of us have families to support and can't dream all day long about hitting the lottery.
Some people golf, some work on cars others build models and yet others trade and invest in domain names. For me it is a hobby for others I will let them speak for themselves.

Last edited:
•••
The problem is there are many bad advices out there, even that came from some experienced and successful domainers.

NO, dont spend $1,000 on one domain rather than $20/each on 50 domains. Instead, learn what works and then spend that $1,000 on the 50 closeouts domains. Then DONT wait for years that you sell that 1 domain which you bought for that $1,000 (if you listened to those who suggest that), instead get your ass in the front of PC and work hard to do a proper outbound for each of those 50 domains that you bought for $20 each.

ONLY IN THE MEANTIME buy some $1,000+ domains and wait for the right offer with them. That should be a hobby, and the real job should be doing outbounds, and then you can live comfortably by doing domaining.

If you dont want to do outbounds and if you dont have some domains that you acquired in the 90s, then you will probably not be able to live from domaining in the US, EU or some other well developed country.

Quality over quantity.......bad advice!!! Why? Because quality is not cheap and you are not allowed to make a mistake. What if you decide to purchase only 1 domain and your budget is $5,000, but you overpay it? On the other side, what if you decide to spend those $5,000 on lets say 200 GD closeouts domains and you make a mistake with 50% of them? Not a big deal, as if you sell only the other 50% of them for only $100/each you will make $10,000.

OK, what if you decide to purchase only 1 domain and you pick the right one and get it at a good reseller price? Bingo! But would you be ready to sell it for $6,000 or $7,000? I dont think so as if you invested $5,000 to make only $1,000 or $2,000 in profits then it is not something that should be making you happy. Would you sell it for $15,000? Well, probably, but nobody told you that those kind of offers are not coming everyday and that you will most likely need to wait at least about few months (or even a few years) for a serious buyer with a good budget. You might be thinking that you will do outbounds with that one domain that you purchased for $5,000. Wrong! If you do that, you will be crashing the price of it as outbounds do crash the price. You can do the outbounds with your low value domains or with some ultra-premium domains like tubro popular single-keyword .com domains. Anything in the middle is ideal for the waiting game, not for the outbounds. Of course you can actively be offering any domain, but in many cases that is not the best tactics.

So the key is education and hard work. Educate yourself about this business and then be ready to work 8 hours (effectively) 5 days a week. In that case if you will not be able to live only from domaining than it is something wrong with you. Simple as that.

In the meantime, purchase some quality domains and wait for the offers with them. However, your focus should be on doing outbounds. There are so many domains that can still be hand-regged or purchased for $10 or $20-$30 and resold the same day for low to mid $xxx if you will do the outbounds for them lets say 8 hours a day. It is time consuming, but domaining is not a lottery as you might thought. Domaining is a real job as any other. If you want to make at least mid $x,xxx each month you should work for it. Otherwise, it will be nobody elses fault if you will not be able to pay your bills only by selling domains. Domaining is a beautiful job and very profitable job, but it is a job. Want to work from home? Want to be your own boss? Want to take a day-off whenever you need it without asking anyone? Want to work at the time you like instead of getting out from bed in 6am so that you will have the time to go through the traffic jam and be on work by 9am? Want to sleep until you will be enough of sleeping instead till the moment when you alarm turn on? Fine, no problem, educate yourself and start doing domaining, but be ready to work hard. Stop listening to those BS advices that say "Quality over quantity". Of course you will not be looking for domains like TheDentistWhoIsTheBestInTown.com, but there is nothing wrong with the domains like BostonCarpetCleaning.com and although they are not deemed as those "quality ones" it is very easy to resell them for good profits in a short time. When you make some budget you might be able to purchase something like CarpetCleaning.com or maybe even Carpets.com, but until then, you should do the outbounds with lower quality domains or you should stop thinking about domaining as your full-time job and consider it only as a hobby.

I probably have many mistakes in this post as English is not my first language and I was not concentrated on grammar and spelling, but you should get the point.

And yes, domaining is my full-time job, if you can call it that way in my specific case :) I dont work everyday, and sometimes I dont work even every week in a month.

•••
@AbdulBasit.com Also a full time domainer

Thanks for the mention.

Yeah, I'm full time domainer for almost a decade now. The main reason behind full time is the cost of living in my country. For a single, it costs less than $200 to live a very happy life. For myself with a family of 5, the cost varies depending on the standard of life one wish to live. Couple of grands are enough to live a good life here excluding all domaining expenses.

Another big advantage is domain income is tax-free!

Last but not the least, my wife has always being supportive and we together operate this business.

•••
There are no stats! There is maybe 1% that make a living doing nothing but domaining. If anyone else says they support themselves nicely and don't have to worry about money, it is because they are living with their parents.
Look at the monthly reported sales. Divide that by how many different sellers. Does that = rent, food, insurance, gas, bills, clothes and more? Not where I live.
I could be wrong, but this is how I feel and from looking at sales and listening to others, if you JUST do domaining and do not monetize in any other way, then you are not going to make it.

In some countries the average salary is $ 200, if you live there it is possible live with domaining.

Or maybe some old domainers from 90s, they had made $ XXX,XXX / X,XXX,XXX sales in the past and now they can live only from domaining.

But If you live in some countries in EU or US (like me) you need at least $3k every single month to live in dignity. In this case is very difficult living only with domains.

•••
But If you live in some countries in EU or US (like me) you need at least $3k every single month to live
I live in Southern California in Huntington Beach $3k a month would even be hard to live on. You could do it, but would be very difficult to raise a family. Which I have 4 kids still in the house and 2 have moved out.
I have a job, I invest in stock, invest in domains, buy and sell things on ebay and have a full time job.
I only spend money extra that I make from ebay on domaining. And the little money I make domaining back into it because I like it.

•••
I remerber reading once a post from a famous domainer (think it was Rick Schwartz) saying: "first rule of a domainer: don't quit your job !"

•••
I went full-time for a few years after my wife died very suddenly in 2007. (didn't really even want to get out of bed) But. of course it relied on how much work I put in, But it kept me sane and I survived on it. The trouble is it's not regular. one month you've got more sales than you needed, the next nothing to pay the bills. Thinned out my portfolio no-end but that wasn't such a bad thing overall.

it also allowed me to live on the island of Tenerife for a year and do a lot of travelling. Trouble there was I was too old for all the partying (and other bad habits) wasn't like I was 21 again. So now officially retired and back in the UK. Truth is I've never been back to work (not even for a day) since 2007

Last edited:
•••
For me domaining is my freedom... I'm the master of my time... And rules are mine... And this is priceless for me.

•••
You should create a poll, useful to know the stats....
Oh, and make sure you include.... would go full time but wife won't let me!) (y)

Last edited:
•••
For sales every single month portfolio size should be at least (hard minimum) - 500 domains... soft minimum - 1K.
And with TLDs which are in demand by endusers...

•••
I’m thinking about building websites now. But coding + design + seo, too much for one man.
There are many good website builders... wix.com - for example or SITE.PRO
So coding and designers are not necessary at all.

Last edited:
•••
I’m thinking about building websites now. But coding + design + seo, too much for one man.
Jurgen is right especially if you do not know how to code. If you know php and html great, but if not stick to one of the above and don't outsource to someone because they will usually code it then you are stuck with relying on someone else to do anything to your own site.
It is so easy to make your own website these days. And if you have a bunch of products and description to put in there are people who will do 100 items for next to nothing.

Last edited:
•••
If I’m in developed countries. I would go to wash dishes rather than domaining.

In my country if you wash dishes you'll earn 1000 euro a month ($ 1200).
It's is difficult (for major people) earn NET $ 1200 with domains a month and every single month (every single month is the key).
There is no choice if you've to pay rent, bills, taxes, car, ..., ..., ...

Last edited:
•••
Firstly, build your STABLE income from monetization... at least critical minimum for your life... to be independent of sales...
Then focus not on your own "likes" but on what is actually selling...

•••
To domain full time you need to come up with strategies that make money if its acquiring names all day and building your portfolio up or if its outbound emails to sell names you need to find what will make you enough money and run with it. 3 main ingredients for success coffee knowledge and time

•••
Once you get rich, you can invest in domains like a pension funds.
Show attachment 85962
I'm not sure domains can be used as a pension fund because they don't seem like an investment with that long time horizon. With the continued exponential growth of a lot of technologies I feel like there's a good chance the world wide web and dns system in their current form will be supplanted by something else before they can provide you with retirement income.

•••
Thanks for the mention.

Yeah, I'm full time domainer for almost a decade now. The main reason behind full time is the cost of living in my country. For a single, it costs less than $200 to live a very happy life. For myself with a family of 5, the cost varies depending on the standard of life one wish to live. Couple of grands are enough to live a good life here excluding all domaining expenses.

Another big advantage is domain income is tax-free!

Last but not the least, my wife has always being supportive and we together operate this business.
Same here in VietNam, no tax duty and VAT tax for domain industry. And the living-cost is really low.
So selling a $2k name/month is higher than a manager's salary.

•••
•••
How long you can do such work with pleasure? 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or???
Domaining (as any other kind of investing activity) you can do whole your life...

Last edited:
•••
Yes but one should also be able to afford an unsteady "job" (if they take up domaining as a full time profession). Not a lot of folks can. In fact, as @urljunky pointed out above, in some parts of the world, an average domainer with a family definitely cannot not live off just domaining.
Yes, average domainer can't live...
But successful domainers can live everywhere, because domaining itself - provides the unlimited possibilities...
In short, domaining is for people with high intellect... this activity is not for everyone apriori.

Last edited:
•••
I've been selling domains full time for almost 10 years now. Its often a feast and famine kind of thing. Also a work 7 days a week at all hours kind of thing.

•••
In some countries the average salary is $ 200, if you live there it is possible live with domaining.

Or maybe some old domainers from 90s, they had made $ XXX,XXX / X,XXX,XXX sales in the past and now they can live only from domaining.

But If you live in some countries in EU or US (like me) you need at least $3k every single month to live in dignity. In this case is very difficult living only with domains.

Last edited:
•••
Yes we have done this for many years full time but we dont work all the time i prefer to enjoy life and do things i want when i want :)

•••
•••
Income from website is another story, more than 97% website cannot earn their domain renewal and hosting cost and developing website can cost you priceless time and money both, if fail.

Professional and full time domainers are bidding xxxx - xxxxxx figure for domains, while I am typing this.

In my opinion those domainers who are buying xxxx - xxxxx figure domains regularly. They are most probably full time domainers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back