Dynadot

Any full time domainers here?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
Fulltime domainer i mean a domainer with his major source of income is from domains ,tell us how is your typical day and your portfolio size and sales.

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very well explained!(y)

Thanks Abdul, your simple comment led to something very useful to me and I will explain now.

This will also be an example how domaining could be a real job without any pressure.

I was aware of the AbdulBasit.com website and I frequently visit it. However, I have not visited it for some time now and just after I saw a post of @AbdulBasit.com I clicked on his signature to see if there are some interesting new posts. I found the one about DotDB.com. I use NameDroppers regularly, but was not aware of DotDB.com and now I tried them for one of my domains. I instantly saw that the name of my domain was registered in the .nl extension although I was not aware of that. I do know for the site:.* Google search possibility, but didnt use it in this case as I was still not started a serious search for the potential end-users of my domain.

However, I found that .nl site and researched a little bit more. I learned they are a subsidiary of one very big Dutch company and the name of my domain, although is in English, is the brand name they are using for their subsidiary. That subsidiary which operates under the exact name of my domain employs more than 50 people according to their LinkedIn account. What does it means to me? It means I just found a perfect potential end-users for my domain although I did not work at this moment. Now I cant wait till tomorrow when I plan to contact them :) I just need to find the names of their management team and they will get the opportunity to purchase my domain ;)

What I wanted to say is that one of the beauties of domaining is that you can actually work while you are relaxing. I visited Namepros today just for fun, and accidentaly came across a very important information to me. You never know where and when you will get some good info.

The point is that you can be a so called full-time domainer even if you dont work full-time, but are ready to work whenever you find some info/lead. I would make a lot more money if I would work 8 hours each day, but would probably go crazy too as I hate obligations. I like it this way.....having my mug near me, cigarette in my mounth, and do a relaxing surf through Namepros and other non-domaining related websites. Whenever I get some good lead then I stop my relaxing and do something related to domaining, then continue with my relaxing :) From time to time I concentrate and get on to real work to prepare some serious outbound sale. This could be called something like combination of hard outbound work and sporadic outbounds when you get a lead. In the meantime, relaxing relaxing and relaxing. That is what I do and it works perfectly to me so I will not have to get up early tomorrow and go to work in someone elses office :)

@AbdulBasit.com , a few days ago I was searching for the potential buyer for one of my domains (which is not .com) and found you in whois of the domain that is LLL.net, type CVV.net and ending in "A". If you are interested to do outbounds for it, you are free to PM me later and I will give you the contacts I already collected for that name (quality leads). I just only want to sell my domain first so that those contacts dont be contacted twice in a short time with a very similar domain.

•••
•••
•••
I don't know what is 3rd world, I don't live in it.
Please don't waste my time and time of others with your stupid posts.

•••
If you have a successful blog you can live off that and be a "domainer" on the side. I know a couple people that have successful blogs and earn $35k a month just from advertising on their site. But that is the key they are bloggers not domainers. Even if they blog about domaining that doesn't make them a domainer they are still a blogger.

Last edited:
•••
what's the medium or average income of full time bloggers?
I think only 10% or less make over $10k a month. But if you have a successful blog site and monetize on youtube also and have a lot of followers more $$.
Take foodbeast for example. When they goto panda express and make a youtube video with a professional eater to see how much food she can eat. You think it is just fun and they just picked panda express randomly? No panda express paid them to do a show.

•••
There are many good website builders... wix.com - for example or SITE.PRO
So coding and designers are not necessary at all.

I wouldn't have a clue about building websites etc but i was told by someone who builds websites for s living that everything is available now no need to know about coding etc as you just add this that and the other to your website depending on your website preferences. Etc

•••
@AbdulBasit.com - Are you sure domain income is tax free in your country? .. I wouldn't think so. I'm sure Pakistan taxes business income right?

I'm also full time and report business income just like any other business.

Of course I'm sure about it. Domain income is must to be shown but is nontaxable. There are taxes on every other business and even on IT sector including software houses, etc. The only reason I can think off about domain income being tax-free is the people on top have no idea about what domains are and how the income is generated. Even most of the common people here don't even know the word "domain", let alone understanding about it :-D

•••
Of course I'm sure about it. Domain income is must to be shown but is nontaxable. There are taxes on every other business and even on IT sector including software houses, etc. The only reason I can think off about domain income being tax-free is the people on top have no idea about what domains are and how the income is generated. Even most of the common people here don't even know the word "domain", let alone understanding about it :-D
That's remarkable... These are the same people supposedly running a country.

Good for you though :)

•••
Inspiring thread guys. Great commentary. Thanks to all who shared a portion of their personal lives.

I really aspire to be on the level as some of you guys one day.

•••
Thanks Abdul, your simple comment led to something very useful to me and I will explain now.

This will also be an example how domaining could be a real job without any pressure.

I was aware of the AbdulBasit.com website and I frequently visit it. However, I have not visited it for some time now and just after I saw a post of @AbdulBasit.com I clicked on his signature to see if there are some interesting new posts. I found the one about DotDB.com. I use NameDroppers regularly, but was not aware of DotDB.com and now I tried them for one of my domains. I instantly saw that the name of my domain was registered in the .nl extension although I was not aware of that. I do know for the site:.* Google search possibility, but didnt use it in this case as I was still not started a serious search for the potential end-users of my domain.

However, I found that .nl site and researched a little bit more. I learned they are a subsidiary of one very big Dutch company and the name of my domain, although is in English, is the brand name they are using for their subsidiary. That subsidiary which operates under the exact name of my domain employs more than 50 people according to their LinkedIn account. What does it means to me? It means I just found a perfect potential end-users for my domain although I did not work at this moment. Now I cant wait till tomorrow when I plan to contact them :) I just need to find the names of their management team and they will get the opportunity to purchase my domain ;)

What I wanted to say is that one of the beauties of domaining is that you can actually work while you are relaxing. I visited Namepros today just for fun, and accidentaly came across a very important information to me. You never know where and when you will get some good info.

The point is that you can be a so called full-time domainer even if you dont work full-time, but are ready to work whenever you find some info/lead. I would make a lot more money if I would work 8 hours each day, but would probably go crazy too as I hate obligations. I like it this way.....having my mug near me, cigarette in my mounth, and do a relaxing surf through Namepros and other non-domaining related websites. Whenever I get some good lead then I stop my relaxing and do something related to domaining, then continue with my relaxing :) From time to time I concentrate and get on to real work to prepare some serious outbound sale. This could be called something like combination of hard outbound work and sporadic outbounds when you get a lead. In the meantime, relaxing relaxing and relaxing. That is what I do and it works perfectly to me so I will not have to get up early tomorrow and go to work in someone elses office :)

@AbdulBasit.com , a few days ago I was searching for the potential buyer for one of my domains (which is not .com) and found you in whois of the domain that is LLL.net, type CVV.net and ending in "A". If you are interested to do outbounds for it, you are free to PM me later and I will give you the contacts I already collected for that name (quality leads). I just only want to sell my domain first so that those contacts dont be contacted twice in a short time with a very similar domain.

Isn't that the beauty of domaining and sharing with each other make good relations and know each other well :xf.smile:

Glad you like the DotDB service which I'm really loving it. It's far better than NameDroppers which has restricted results and doesn't show the results of new gTLDs. Although there are some missing and their team is working on adding them to their database.

Hope you get the right contact and sell your domain to that Dutch company (y)

I've stopped outbounds for long time but no harm in trying for one domain and see how it works. I'll PM you :)

Thanks!

•••
Any full time domainers here?.
Plenty, I am sure. If I were you I would give more thought to, then rewrite your question. I do applaud your motive though, questions are the answer.

•••
In my country if you wash dishes you'll earn 1000 euro a month ($ 1200).
It's is difficult (for major people) earn NET $ 1200 with domains a month and every single month (every single month is the key).
There is no choice if you've to pay rent, bills, taxes, car, ..., ..., ...
I’m thinking about building websites now. But coding + design + seo, too much for one man.

•••
And as already said @Federer - you don't need to work full time when you built your own model which makes money for you...
The best domainers work even a few hours per week...

•••
Just my own little example...
I regged ~30 LLL.BIZ (for testing purpose) for ~$3 and during latest CHIPs bubble sold them in a bulk for $75 each (25x)...
And my biggest mistake - that only ~30... because were tons available.

Last edited:
•••
Terribly sorry to hear that @BaileyUK but it does give me some much needed perspective. Many of us could use the same. Strangely too I sometimes think domains keep me sane when otherwise I'm quite convinced I am losing my grip.

Btw Jurgen, Harrist did say it was a joke. Don't take it personally.

Last edited:
•••
Another very important factor - art of negotiations... to get the maximum from each incoming buyer...
And even Seller's psychology... many domainers are not even mentally ready to trade in 4F and 5F range...
That's why their profit is low even with regular sales.

Last edited:
•••
interesting you should mention 'ability' I was surprised to learn how many kids these days leave school with the basics in all the Office software and even basic web design, then all want to be Web-designers. back in our days it was wood/metal work followed by Engineering design and we all wanted to be car or aircraft designers.

nobody ever really teaches Salesmanship
Sad that schools don't teach organization, finance, saving money/budgeting, balancing a checkbook let alone a balance sheet, taxes, public speaking, salesmanship, business ethics, basic morals, dealing with emotions, physical presentation, good hygiene, and a huge list of other basics required to be independent and basically a normal productive member of society. Kids should be taught all this at an early age and be masters by the time they graduate. But then we wouldn't have ditch diggers and subservience.

As far as domaining being a full time job, there is so much to be had in this world that a life full of nothing but trading names seems like a waste (for me). In this day and age, your customer base is massive and easily targeted, there is no reason you can't do whatever else you love and make a nice living at it. I think the key is persistence, and a desire to always learn and make changes. Getting discouraged and giving up is the norm, another thing they should teach in school (persistence).

•••
It is a food blog and $35k is just from advertising. That doesn't count $$ from shows or youtube videos etc..
Companies pay big bucks to have them review their brand on their site and post their videos on youtube.

•••
My policy for enduser sales: minimum high $xxx.

•••
Interesting. If it's run as a business, the income is taxable, simple rule of thumb. Just because the business is not classified under conventional heads (as in Software, Legal, Manufacturing etc) doesn't absolve it from paying taxes. But each to his own. :xf.smile:

That doesn't mean I shall enforce the concerned authority to make domain income taxable :xf.wink:
Several years back, there was no tax at all on entire IT sector. The reason was to promote IT business in our country. Once the goal was achieved, tax was implemented.

Below is excerpt from tax regulatory body of our country:

As per this Tax Exemptions clause 133 of Income tax ordinance 2001, amended 2017, there is a tax holiday for exports of software or IT services or IT enabled services till 30th June, 2019 as long as 80% of the earned money comes in via normal banking channels.

As far as I'm concerned, almost all funds come via banking channel. The drawback is we don't have PayPal in our country. The reason PayPal give is we don't have good system against money laundering which is purposely not implemented as almost all top level government officials are involved in money laundering...

•••
•••
How is it possible?
I am CEO and CTO for several projects and I work 18 hours a day, 7 days a week!
How is it possible work less than 10 hours a week?
Good projects, projects that rank in first page on major search engines require a lot of work, I've never seen (in 20 years of experience) someone works less than 10 hours a week :xf.eek:

I don't add new content. Because I am not confident about my English language command. I posted 100x content here on this forum and other forums than I wrote at my own websites.

I buy established websites and don't touch them for years. They run on autopilot. I have websites that I bought 10+ years ago like 2005 and they are still generating revenue and receiving organic traffic.. I only update their CMS, do some on-page SEO, change their template (I know css, html, etc) I am very good at on-page SEO and very good at website appraisal, server optimization and website optimization.. I buy websites to run, don't sell any site unless I need urgent cash from time to time, usually to buy a new website.

I work less than 10 hours a week. Sometimes I don't touch my computer for a day or two. I spend most of my online time at forums like this one and sometimes at bitcoin forum, read newspapers online, watch educational or music videos at youtube.

I am not greedy. Also I realized that if I work more I feel like I am under pressure and obligated to work. I can't be productive when I feel obligated. I spend most of time for leisure and learning new things. I work less but am highly productive. I know what I will do and what I want to do. It lowers my total hour of work greatly. I spend most of time to keep my financials balanced, thanks to my finance background. Buying new websites take lots of my time. It requires too much time. I work to improve the quality of my website portfolio. I rarely develop websites. I developed websites in the past and sold for around $10k /each. However SEO changed greatly and online advertisement revenues lowered greatly. I can't achieve old successes under the conditions of today, things are much more difficult today.

I can summarize my routine "works" as below:
1- update wordpress and other CMS
2- buying new websites
3- testing new things on my websites like new template or different ad networks.

•••
You don't have learn anything.
Because
1- you can hire someone who knows it.
2- There is competition. Capitalism is based on competition. It means whatever you know or learned can be used by your competitors, say it can be a new know-how or technology, it doesn't matter what it is. Every knowledge you know today will not bring you profit tomorrow, even if you created that knowledge and it will be very low possibility unless you are a phd or someone like that. This is a well known rule in finance/investments. Therefore knowledge isn't important as it can be easily used/replicated by your competitors. The only genuine thing you own in competition is your capital. It can not be replicated by your competitors.

Buy always high priced domains, websites and businesses in general. Because everyone can buy cheap domains. Everyone means unlimited number of competitors. Too many competitors will fight each other to the same piece of pie. You can maximize your profit in the areas where your number of competitors are few or ideally there is no competitor at all. Stay away from markets with too many competitors. Therefore if you put all of your eggs to the same basket, you can buy a single thing with your whole budget, the most expensive thin for you. Most expensive thing means less number of competitors for you, as there will be less number of people who can afford to buy such an expensive thing. Keep playing bigger and bigger on each turn. 10 years ago, I was buying websites for $50 each. Today, I don't look at anything which is less than $1,000. I am not against to hand regs for $10. They are like lottery tickets. If you are lucky you can win 3-4 figures for $10. But it's not a good, sustainable business plan. If you were buying $10 domains in the past and you are still buying $10, then there is no improvement in your life, you are still small player. You should want to be a big player and it's impossible if you spend time with low priced domains/websites.

Assume you are offered two portfolio:
Portfolio A: 1,000 domains for $10,000
Portfolio B: 2 domains for $10,000

If portfolio A looks like more appealing to you, read some books about economics. This is a friendly advise, no offense intended.

•••
You should create a poll, useful to know the stats....
There are no stats! There is maybe 1% that make a living doing nothing but domaining. If anyone else says they support themselves nicely and don't have to worry about money, it is because they are living with their parents.
Look at the monthly reported sales. Divide that by how many different sellers. Does that = rent, food, insurance, gas, bills, clothes and more? Not where I live.
I could be wrong, but this is how I feel and from looking at sales and listening to others, if you JUST do domaining and do not monetize in any other way, then you are not going to make it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back